unable to root/unlock bootloader after repairs?=> Solved (Answer is on page 2)

Search This thread

adelancker

May 9, 2012
Antwerp
Hey guys,

I sent my device to Asus a couple of days ago for repairs.
Asus did a great job on repairing my screen, but... um..
they have undone my root access and they've also relocked my bootloader, I think, although I can't get any OTAs.

Original question was:
What can I do to get my root again, because the scripts of sparky's tool don't seem to work anymore...

Sorry for this noobish question, but I swear that this has never happened to me before (and I have unlocked and rooted numerous devices) :D

What kind of sorcery is going on?! :)

Then I found the answer thanks to these amazing guys answering and trying to help.

It's a strange method, but it woudn't work otherwise:
I had to unlock the device (still on that very first stock JB rom).
Then, I flashed CWM through fastboot. Have a look here. However, do not forget: in this thread the OP referenced to an unofficial CWM. Go to the TF700 Android Development page and download the official CWM in stead.
After that I flashed a CWM-suitable SuperSU.zip (flashable) which made me have whereas it was impossible with any other method! (works through TWRP as well, for those that only have the unable to root problem :D )

Then, I flashed TWRP (but that's just a question of preferences, I guess) :) => This is no obligatory step of course!

There you go, for anyone who has/will have the same issues as me: follow these steps and let me know if it worked for you!

Have fun flashing Custom Roms/Kernels and/or recoveries again!

It might seem complicated, but it really isn't. :)

Good uck to those who follow(ed) my path :D

Last edited:

adelancker

May 9, 2012
Antwerp
You mean relocked your bootloader?
...or actually unlocked it?

Sorry for that! :)
I meant that they relocked my bootloader, but still I can't get any OTAs :)

Thanks for the answer by the way.

I'd like to get it back to CR asap, since I really like that ROM, but noone has helped be yet :)
That is, until you arrived! :D

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Ah

If we can get you successfully unlocked then the flashing can begin.

Have you tried unlocking via the Asus unlock .apk?
Seem as tho some tab owners have had problems with the Asus unlock tool.

DarkFire1985

Feb 13, 2009
I actually have the exact same problem.
Tablet back from screen repairs and now my root is gone, clean JB is installed and I can't seem to unlock (I wasn't unlocked before though).

I tried unlocking within the newest firmware with the ASUS Unlock app, failed with the "Unknown error occured, this could be a network problem".
Then I decided to atleast fix me root so I downgraded to .30 (ICS) and RootDebugFS fixed my root access.
Still my unlocking fails.

My serial is still the same btw.

Reactions: adelancker

adelancker

May 9, 2012
Antwerp
Tablet back from screen repairs and now my root is gone, clean JB is installed and I can't seem to unlock (I wasn't unlocked before though).

I tried unlocking within the newest firmware with the ASUS Unlock app, failed with the "Unknown error occured, this could be a network problem".
Then I decided to atleast fix me root so I downgraded to .30 (ICS) and RootDebugFS fixed my root access.

Thanks! I guess I'll downgrade to .30 as well, root it there and maybe attempt to unlock my bootloader.
I really wish to have CR again, so there's no option that this will not work (eventually) :)

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Shouldn't I first have root?
Or directly try to unlock the bootloader.

My own experience included unlocking as a first step.
The reason was that I found it ultimately easier to install the CWM recovery thru ADB.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32293050&postcount=1 <<<< The confusing guide is here.
After some study then trial we were successful!

Are you familiar with fastboot or opening a terminal (DOS like cmd window) on the PC?
ADB (Android Development Bridge) is a command prompt that will speak to the tablet thru a USB connection.
All of this is available with Androids platform tools.
I keep a tools folder on my PCs desktop so I don't have to search for it. (Platform tools can be downloaded)

I know all this is somewhat intimidating on first encounter...hopefully we can walk thru and get things up and loaded.

adelancker

May 9, 2012
Antwerp
The reason was that I found it ultimately easier to install the CWM recovery thru ADB.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32293050&postcount=1 <<<< The confusing guide is here.

Are you familiar with fastboot or opening a terminal (DOS like cmd window) on the PC?
ADB (Android Development Bridge) is a command prompt that will speak to the tablet thru a USB connection.
I keep a tools folder on my PCs desktop so I don't have to search for it. (Platform tools can be downloaded)

I know all this is somewhat intimidating on first encounter...hopefully we can walk thru and get things up and loaded.
Thanks for all the help! :)

It's not the first time I root (and/or) unlock a bootloader. It's just that now, those super easy root command methods don't work anymore. I have done completely manual rooting in the past, but I am not sure that will work either. :)

Besides, I got adb running before on my Infinity, but I'll make sure to downgrade to ICS first before doing anything else.

Here's what I am going to do:
1) downgrade to .30
2) try to root (with or without sparky's tool :) )
3) unlock bootloader (although I'm not sure if that'll work, judging from the comment of the Dutchman above) :)

Reactions: Thats OK

adelancker

May 9, 2012
Antwerp
I'll let you know in this thread if it worked or not.

My prediction: root will work, unlocking bootloader won't, since it's already been unlocked one and therefore my serial number is already in their database! :)

sai561

Sep 9, 2012
Hyderabad
So i got my infinity like 2 weeks ago. The first thing i tried to do was to root it. I plugged in my device, installed drivers and checked unknown sources and usb debugging. I opened debugfs and tried to root my device but it suddenly closes. Whats likely to be the problem. And no i dont have asus sync installed.

P.S i returned my infinity on amazon as there was a hardware problem. Ill get the new one in a couple of days.
Thanks in advance.

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
Good luck with trying to get it unlocked (again)! If it doesn't work out in the end, you might want to drop Gary Key a line. Even if he is currently serving the USA himself, he might give you a pointer or a contact inside ASUS' support division. It's likely this is a "serial number in database" issue -- I'd like to believe that with some handiwork, this should be relatively simple issue to tackle, IF the engineers have access to that database at all. (With only Gary's answers to go on, I'd say ASUS HQ seems to keep its cards close to the chest.)

There's no way around the bootloader checking the staging partitions, right? Damn shame we can't just flash to it directly, ODIN style (which admittedly was not a perfect solution, but it is better than being locked out of your on device, essentially).

adelancker

May 9, 2012
Antwerp
Good luck with trying to get it unlocked (again)! If it doesn't work out in the end, you might want to drop Gary Key a line. Even if he is currently serving the USA himself, he might give you a pointer or a contact inside ASUS' support division. It's likely this is a "serial number in database" issue -- I'd like to believe that with some handiwork, this should be relatively simple issue to tackle, IF the engineers have access to that database at all. (With only Gary's answers to go on, I'd say ASUS HQ seems to keep its cards close to the chest.)

There's no way around the bootloader checking the staging partitions, right? Damn shame we can't just flash to it directly, ODIN style (which admittedly was not a perfect solution, but it is better than being locked out of your on device, essentially).
Thanks for the support! :)

Then, I flashed CWM through fastboot. Have a look here. However, do not forget: in this thread the OP referenced to an unofficial CWM. Go to the TF700 Android Development page and download the official CWM in stead.
After that I flashed a CWM-suitable SuperSU.zip (flashable) which made me have whereas it was impossible with any other method! (works through TWRP as well, for those that only have the unable to root problem :D )

Then, I flashed TWRP (but that's just a question of preferences, I guess) :) => This is no obligatory step of course!

There you go, for anyone who has/will have the same issues as me: follow these steps and let me know if it worked for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Thats OK

DarkFire1985

Feb 13, 2009
Thing with my situation is that I can't get your first step.
I tried to unlock the boot loader in the stock JB which the tablet was returned with.
I tried to unlock the boot loader in the stock .30 ICS rom
Every single time I get the "An unknown error has occured. This could be an network issue. Try again later" message ...

I haven't unlocked my tablet before RMA'ing so my serial shouldn't be "known" anyhow.
Though I do see a [90R-OK0QMB30000Y] TF700T MAIN_BD_._1G/T33/AS part at the replaced parts list on my Service Repair paper.
To me it looks like that a motherboard/mainboard, could that replacement be my issue?

adelancker

May 9, 2012
Antwerp
I tried to unlock the boot loader in the stock JB which the tablet was returned with.
Every single time I get the "An unknown error has occured. This could be an network issue. Try again later" message ...

I haven't unlocked my tablet before RMA'ing so my serial shouldn't be "known" anyhow.
Though I do see a [90R-OK0QMB30000Y] TF700T MAIN_BD_._1G/T33/AS part at the replaced parts list on my Service Repair paper.
To me it looks like that a motherboard/mainboard, could that replacement be my issue?
Hmm... No idea what that could be.
I managed to unlock it, but that was after I reverted to ICS .30 (not obligatory, from what I understood :) ) I didn't use the Unlock Tool from the Asus website itself but an older (ex-official) Unlock Tool. (v7) I think it was.

I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

DarkFire1985

Feb 13, 2009
That might be the same as the one from the ASUS website but if you could provide me the file or md5 sum I can compare it.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the support! :)

So glad to read that you have been successful.
...and do have fun flashing\updating\customizing!

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
That might be the same as the one from the ASUS website but if you could provide me the file or md5 sum I can compare it.
The unlock tools provided by ASUS to unlock the TF201, TF300 and TF700 have been proven to be identical files (by checksum verification) --- no need to reinvent the wheel there. :)

The unlock step indeed is crucial -- and it depends on ASUS' database. If you can't get past that, there'll no flashing available in terms of recoveries (and therefore no custom ROMs either). Have you tried dropping Gary a line yet?

adelancker

May 9, 2012
Antwerp

Maybe you should have a look here. Seems like there were a couple of guys capable of unlocking it after all, and they were in the same situation as you.

I checked and the bootloader unlock tool was indeed an offial asus one. I downgraded before unlocking, but I saw you did too...

No idea what else I can do to help. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I sent my device to Asus a couple of days ago for repairs.
    Asus did a great job on repairing my screen, but... um..
    they have undone my root access and unlocked bootloader.

You mean relocked your bootloader?
    ...or actually unlocked it?

Shouldn't I first have root?
    Or directly try to unlock the bootloader.

Thanks for all the help! :)

It's not the first time I root (and/or) unlock a bootloader. It's just that now, those super easy root command methods don't work anymore. I have done completely manual rooting in the past, but I am not sure that will work either. :)

Besides, I got adb running before on my Infinity, but I'll make sure to downgrade to ICS first before doing anything else.

Here's what I am going to do:
    1) downgrade to .30
    2) try to root (with or without sparky's tool :) )
    3) unlock bootloader (although I'm not sure if that'll work, judging from the comment of the Dutchman above) :)