[APP] RENOVATE Gaming Boost JellyBean v1

Search This thread

ArmedandDangerous

Aug 8, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Gaming recommendation for the JB Renovate gaming boost:

Use it along the power saver CPU mode, yup you heard this correctly!

The powersaver mode will lock the quad core to 1300mhz effectively bypassing our famous 1500mhz single core problem, it will also reduce heat during games and the chance of CPU throttling down to 1200mhz

In other words you only loose 100 mhz from the quad, which has almost zero effects on gaming with gaming boost ON, GL benchmark results remain unaffected, you will gain insure quad core usage, more speed and less heat

For more info check the Stock HTC JB Kernel 3.14.707.24 - CPU review

I installed Apex and the Power Saver option seems to have disappeared from my notification bar. Returning to Sense doesn't bring it back up again >.< I can't find a way to re-enable it ):

EDIT 1 : I found it in the Power settings :)

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
More details about RENOVATE Gaming Boost JellyBean v1.0

This version is suitable for most HTC phones including the HTC One X+

• Sets supercharger's max memory minfree values (8, 16, 200, 220, 240, 275), when turned off it returns to stock ICS/JB values (32, 40, 28, 56, 64, 80)
  • Optimizes HTC's ondemand governor to greatly reduce random CPU stalls, turning boost ON will always switch you to ondemand governor with the tweaked values, turning boost OFF will also switch you back to ondemand governor with it's original stock values (this will also help you apply the performance tip below)
  • Unlinks the GPU from the CPU in 3D mode, that is when gaming if the CPU chooses to drop down, the GPU will keep using the upper clock (3d scaling off)
  • It will Attempt to set GPU520 for kernels using Franco's GPU interface
  • Does not attempt to change the scheduler, every kernel has it's own choice of schedulers, you can still set your favorite scheduler outside this app (using scripts or SetCPU)
  • It will not touch the CPU clocks, on stock JB ROM you can choose between 1300mhz and 1500mhz using the stock powersaver mode, on custom kernels you can still OC (using scripts or SetCPU)

I've attached the stock script version for those who might face issues with custom ROMs like ARHD, if the app doesn't pause when enabling boost or never asks for root you will need to flash this file

If you like to install the app without recovery just unpack the apk and install it

This version was optimized for HTC's stock JB OTA and Kernel, check the Stock HTC JB Kernel 3.14.x.24 review

PowerSaver mode
With HTC powersaver's CPU mode turned off, the device will use up to 1500mhz single and 1400mhz quad core, sadly for some rare quad enabled games like shadowgun this might cause random performance drops when the game calls the single core 1500 step
Enabling HTC powersaver's CPU mode will lock the device to 1300mhz quad core, effectively its a quad lock but slightly slower with less heat and battery consumption
Experiment with your game to find which mode works best along with game boost

Locking the quad
Simply set the CPU clock to 1400 on boot and it will stick, the powersaver mode will switch between 1300 and 1400, both quad modes without the buggy single core 1500 step
Place the attached 99CPU1400.txt script in etc/init.d folder, remove .txt extension and set all permissions, reboot
If this doesn't work or you are using a kernel without init.d support, simply use SetCPU, change the clock to 1400 and set on boot

Aggressive Performance tip
You can go further if you want to force max possible performance, unlike ICS, JB kernel allows the performance governor to use full quad, so you can enable boost ON and then switch to performance governor using your favorite SetCPU app, with powersaver off the device will use up to 1400mhz quad cores and idle around two cores 1200mhz, with powersaver on it will use up to 1300mhz quad cores and idle around two cores 1200mhz, naturally this tip will cause extra heat and battery drain, once you are done disable game boost and you will switch back to stock ondemand governor

Attachments

• RenovateGamingBoostJellyBean_v1.0+StockValuesFix.zip
    189.4 KB · Views: 1,027
Last edited:

-viper-

Just To inform u how amazed i am. When i was ICS, i used custom faux and Gaming Boost... I couldnt play while in charge due To extremelly overheat. With Boost enabled and from full baterry i played about 2 hours With a break at 1hour due To overheat.

Now....

Renovated JellyBean With the latest Boost app enabled + PowerSave i started playing With baterry 87%..*IN CHARGE* for first time... And the results? 1hour non stop Shadowgun Deadzone, Who all know what a heavy multicore game is, and core temp was To 55 (ics got 97 in a 20min play) and my Phone charge To 93%....One word

A M A Z I N G.

Now we can play non stop hardcore games for hours.

Sent from my Renovated HTC One X using xda premium

hammadsaqib

Sep 13, 2012
Can the dev please fix the jelly bean link I really want to try this out on jelly bean

Edit:scratch that it's fixed :D

Sent from my HTC One X

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

I thought it was supposed to be a zip file. Thanx for making it in to apk :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Just To inform u how amazed i am. When i was ICS, i used custom faux and Gaming Boost... I couldnt play while in charge due To extremelly overheat. With Boost enabled and from full baterry i played about 2 hours With a break at 1hour due To overheat.

Now....

Renovated JellyBean With the latest Boost app enabled + PowerSave i started playing With baterry 87%..*IN CHARGE* for first time... And the results? 1hour non stop Shadowgun Deadzone, Who all know what a heavy multicore game is, and core temp was To 55 (ics got 97 in a 20min play) and my Phone charge To 93%....One word

A M A Z I N G.

Now we can play non stop hardcore games for hours.

Sent from my Renovated HTC One X using xda premium

This guy so said it!! I used to play death dome off charge and it only lasted me half an hour before the phone started to overheat like @&#%. Now its like "what's overheating" :D

Sent from my HTC One X

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
im glad you guys are liking the idea of boost + powersave :)

still it might cause bad performance in certain games, for example the famous damned nova 3 lags with boost + powersave more than boost + performance + powersave

still its a ****ty game to begin with and not a good one to judge

the best way is to always experiment the two modes with your current game and decide which is best, if there is no obvious loss in speed definitely stick to powersave + boost

also one more request please rate this thread 5 stars always and use the thanks button a little more ;)

more speed is definitely on the way once we have the kernel source and can compile a gaming JB kernel ;)

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
well well the the CPU clock can stick on the stock JB kernel and hence we solved quad lock outside the powersaver mode :)
Locking the quad
Simply set the CPU clock to 1400 on boot and it will stick, the powersaver mode will switch between 1300 and 1400, both quad modes without the buggy single core 1500 step
Place the attached 99CPU1400.txt script in etc/init.d folder, remove .txt extension and set all permissions, reboot

VertigoOneX

Jul 8, 2012
Is it normal that I'm not getting a SU-permission popup? I used to get it with the ICS versions but now with ARHD15 and this app not and I'm not sure if settings are being applied.

VertigoOneX

Jul 8, 2012
SO I guess it doesn't work with ARHD15 or 16. Strange thing is the ICS gaming app did work with the ICS ARHD versions.

VertigoOneX

Jul 8, 2012
Thank you. I'm installing right now ARHD 16 and going to test the version with the stock values fix. What's the best free app to see if CPU speeds are set as they should be?

nashshafrulrezza

Jul 8, 2011
Johor Bahru
Google Pixel 4 XL
Thank you. I'm installing right now ARHD 16 and going to test the version with the stock values fix. What's the best free app to see if CPU speeds are set as they should be?

Don't need any.. just try open gaming boost.. if gaming boost are functional well.. then you should know what it mean by that.. :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dragonesdenano

VertigoOneX

Jul 8, 2012
I installed GB yesterday and tested it a few times. After 5 reboots I got the superuser popup, granted permission and everytime I enabled or disabled boost the granted permission popup appeared at the bottom. Then I restarted my HOX, just to be sure everything is working and all the popups disappeared, also the small lagg when enabling or disabling was gone. I have to reboot my HOX a few times until the SU-permission popups reappear which is telling me it's working again.

steve1996

May 2, 2012
canterbury
HTC One X
HTC One X+
I installed GB yesterday and tested it a few times. After 5 reboots I got the superuser popup, granted permission and everytime I enabled or disabled boost the granted permission popup appeared at the bottom. Then I restarted my HOX, just to be sure everything is working and all the popups disappeared, also the small lagg when enabling or disabling was gone. I have to reboot my HOX a few times until the SU-permission popups reappear which is telling me it's working again.

the answer is few posts above :D

Sent from my HTC One X

VertigoOneX

Jul 8, 2012
I guess either of us does not understand. I did flash the version with the stock values fix and have the described issues.......

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First off i would like to say a massive thanks to henk2484 who made the original app then sent me the source code to modify/improve to my liking.
    I would also like to say a massive thanks to hamdir for for finding all the optimal values.

Right here we go

RENOVATE GAMING BOOST
    33otpar.png

What is it?
    Renovate gaming boost is a simple app which optimized the kernel to be used while gaming. It will give you easily the best gaming experience you have ever had on a mobile phone.

How do i use it?
    It's really simple to use, before you want to start gaming just open the app, grant root permissions then click on enable. After you've finished gaming, simply open the app again and click to disable the boost.

Which kernels/ROM support this app?
    Theoretically, it will work on all kernels and roms, but if your ROM dev uses custom ondemand values the app won't work. Ask your dev to look at the source code I uploaded and get him to tweak the app to match his ROM values.

Any bugs/side effects?
    Obviously, gaming on a device like the One X will cause big battery drain, so don't be complaining to me if your battery only lasts an hour while playing a multi core game like ShadowGun.

How to install?
    Flash the zip in recovery.

Changelog:
    JellyBean v1- 27/11/2012:

Compatible with JellyBean ROMs

Changelog:
    v2.1- 15/10/2012:

Fixed Minfrees
    Fixed CPU Clocks

v2- 15/10/2012:

Two versions for stock and custom kernels,
    Removed 1.4ghz lock on custom kernels,
    Re-added GPU scaling tweaks
    Overclocks GPU on supported kernels.

v1-19/07/2012:

Initial Release

Download Link:
    Renovate Gaming Boost JellyBean Stock Kernel

Renovate Gaming Boost v2.1 (Stock Kernel)
    Renovate Gaming Boost v2.1 (Custom Kernel)

Devs if you wanna include this in your rom feel free, just send me a pm telling me so i can see how any people are finding it useful.
    HTC One X - Tegra 3

RENOVATE Gaming Boost JellyBean v1.0

This version is suitable for most HTC phones including the HTC One X+
    • Sets supercharger's max memory minfree values (8, 16, 200, 220, 240, 275), when turned off it returns to stock ICS/JB values (32, 40, 28, 56, 64, 80)
    • Optimizes HTC's ondemand governor to greatly reduce random CPU stalls, turning boost ON will always switch you to ondemand governor with the tweaked values, turning boost OFF will also switch you back to ondemand governor with it's original stock values (this will also help you apply the performance tip below)
    • Unlinks the GPU from the CPU in 3D mode, that is when gaming if the CPU chooses to drop down, the GPU will keep using the upper clock (3d scaling off)
    • It will Attempt to set GPU520 for kernels using Franco's GPU interface
    • Does not attempt to change the scheduler, every kernel has it's own choice of schedulers, you can still set your favorite scheduler outside this app (using scripts or SetCPU)
    • It will not touch the CPU clocks, on stock JB ROM you can choose between 1300mhz and 1500mhz using the stock powersaver mode, on custom kernels you can still OC (using scripts or SetCPU)

For those who can't get it to work try to use the stock values fix zip from here

This version was optimized for HTC's stock JB OTA and Kernel, checkout the Stock HTC JB Kernel 3.14.x.24 review

PowerSaver mode
    With HTC powersaver's CPU mode turned off, the device will use up to 1500mhz single and 1400mhz quad core, sadly for some rare quad enabled games like shadowgun this might cause random performance drops when the game calls the single core 1500 step
    Enabling HTC powersaver's CPU mode will lock the device to 1300mhz quad core, effectively its a quad lock but slightly slower with less heat and battery consumption
    Experiment with your game to find which mode works best along with game boost

Locking the quad
    If this doesn't work or you are using a kernel without init.d support, simply use SetCPU, change the clock to 1400 and set on boot

Aggressive Performance tip
    You can go further if you want to force max possible performance, unlike ICS, JB kernel allows the performance governor to use full quad, so you can enable boost ON and then switch to performance governor using your favorite SetCPU app, with powersaver off the device will use up to 1400mhz quad cores and idle around two cores 1200mhz, with powersaver on it will use up to 1300mhz quad cores and idle around two cores 1200mhz, naturally this tip will cause extra heat and battery drain, once you are done disable game boost and you will switch back to stock ondemand governor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RENOVATE Gaming Boost ICS v2.1: NCX gaming kernel v4 is the recommended custom kernel (based on pure stock kernel)
    • Set GPU520 for Franco's R20 GPU method
    • No longer tries to change the scheduler, since every kernel has it's own choice of schedulers, you can still set your fav scheduler outside this app (using scripts or set CPU)
    • The custom version will not touch the CPU clocks, this way you can OC or UC on supported kernels (using scripts or set CPU) and still use gaming boost, the custom version is best for Franco R20 and Faux 11
    • The stock version is for both ICS and JB stock kernels, for the ICS kernel like always you need to make sure not to switch off the screen after boost, on JB the values no longer reset on screen off

For those who can't get it to work try to use the stock values fix zip from here

If you still have trouble getting this app to work since it doesn't request SU or do anything, check this post

you will know that the app is working, if it requests SU the first time and takes a second switch to the boost mode

Warning! due to HTC code, on many kernels including both stock and older Faux, turning off the screen will reset two vital parameters set by the app so you have to make sure not to turn off the screen between boost and playing a game

This issue was fixed in most custom kernels like Gaming Kernel, Faux and Franco, if you are not using such custom kernels always remember to renable boost mode after screen unlock

If you still have trouble getting this app to work since it doesn't request SU or do anything, check this post

If you like to set the boost mode permanently:
    How to set the gaming boost mode permanently using SetCPU 3.x for any Kernel

For AOSP 4.0.x ROMs, you will also need this:
    RenovateGamingBoost_SenseFramework.zip (for AOSP 4.0.x ROMs, it will add the needed Sense framework system files, flash first followed by the app)

For AOSP 4.1.x ROMs this app is currently not working

Thanks to rayford85 and h00py for the installation solutions

Special thanks to timlambo for helping us test and refine the parameters

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For information the One X should last 2.5 hours of non stop gaming on full boost with screen brightness at 20%, it reaches a max of 52c in ambiance of 33c, do not try this while on the charger

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a link the original gaming boost thread for those who like to understand what this app really does:

[GUIDE+TOOLS] How To Easily Maximize One X Tegra 3 Game performance - root
    This post is now deprecated and the app was updated to 2.1 check the details in here

-----------------------------------------------------

HTC One X - Tegra 3

RENOVATE Gaming Boost v1:

- RenovateGamingBoost_v1_signed.apk (install from SD)
    - RenovateGamingBoost_v1.zip (install from CWR)
    - RenovateGamingBoost_v1+StockScript.zip (install from CWR, use it if the app is not requesting SU or not working)

you will know that the app is working, if it requests SU the first time and takes a second switch to the boost mode

warning! due to HTC code, on many kernels including both stock and older Faux, turning off the screen will reset two vital parameters set by the app so you have to make sure not to turn off the screen between boost and playing a game
    this issue was fixed by Faux 005b3 if you are not using this kernel always remember to renable boost mode after screen unlock

If you like to set the boost mode permanently:
    How to set the gaming boost mode permanently using init.d scripts for Faux Kernel
    How to set the gaming boost mode permanently using SetCPU 3.x for any Kernel

For AOSP 4.0.x ROMs, you will also need this:
    RenovateGamingBoost_SenseFramework.zip (for AOSP 4.0.x ROMs, it will add the needed Sense framework system files, flash first followed by the app)

For AOSP 4.1.x ROMs this app is currently not working

thanks to rayford85 and h00py for the installation solutions

Special thanks to timlambo for helping us test and refine the parameters

For information the One X should last 2.5 hours of non stop gaming on full boost with screen brightness at 20%, it reaches a max of 52c in ambiance of 33c, do not try this while on the charger

here is a link the original gaming boost thread for those who like to understand what this app really does:

[GUIDE+TOOLS] How To Easily Maximize One X Tegra 3 Game performance - root
    More details about RENOVATE Gaming Boost ICS v2.1

• Set GPU520 for Franco's R20 GPU method
    • No longer tries to change the scheduler, since every kernel has it's own choice of schedulers, you can still set your fav scheduler outside this app (using scripts or set CPU)
    • The custom version will not touch the CPU clocks, this way you can OC or UC on supported kernels (using scripts or set CPU) and still use gaming boost, the custom version is best for Franco R20 and Faux 11
    • The stock version is for both ICS and JB stock kernels, for the ICS kernel like always you need to make sure not to switch off the screen after boost, on JB the values no longer reset on screen off

I've attached the stock script version for those who might face issues with ROMs like ARHD, if the app doesn't pause when enabling boost or never asks for root you will need to use these files

If you like to install the app without recovery just unpack the apk and install it

Recommended custom kernel for stock 2.17 ROMs: NCX gaming kernel v4