[Q] Ready to root/unlock/nvflash - please advise

Search This thread

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
First, sorry for the eyestrain but please bear with me...also think I originally posted this in the wrong forum! I have new stock TF300T (came with ICS v9.4.3.17 US SKU) and will be rooting it. Had wanted to keep it locked for warranty purposes, but same time want TWRP for nandroid backups, etc. After reading about NVFlash I'm thinking of going ahead, unlocking and running NVFlash. Seems this will keep me safe in case I did brick it later (having the NVFlash backups would "counter" my voiding the ASUS warranty). The bricksafe.img will bring it back to my current version/state but just with the bootloader still unlocked, right? Please correct me right away if I'm misinterpeting anything here!

I've read lots of posts over the last week before doing anything on it so it's essentially still straight out of the box. I do have an OTA waiting for install but not sure whether it's for ICS .30 or JB and have left it alone. I've read/watched lots of how to's and follow-up questions/problems/answers, think I've figured out any "side effects", and been formulating a game plan/order of steps. As far as I understand, with my ICS version I can root using Debugfs, unlock and run NVFlash and create my master backups, and then install TWRP pretty easily.

Does this seem like the right idea and is there a preferred order for these (other than requisite unlock before NVFlash and TWRP installs)? And I may need to post this under the NVFlash instructions post, but it says I'll be flashing the AndroidRoot.mobi bootloader v9.4.3.30r01 - this will work with my ICS 4.9.3.17 right (just noting possible difference in versions)?

I read that one can do the OTA's after rooting (and restore root after), but figure best not to install any OTA's so I can run NVFlash (hate to accidentally run an OTA and find it was for JB). Unlocking will prevent future OTA's but if I stay with stock ROM's, I can either flash an update dl'd from Asus or use Goo Manager, right (or try other ROMs)?

Lastly (for now), in preparation I've installed the Universal Naked Drivers v0.72 and running adb shows my device while connected to Windows 7. Is there any other prep work I should do (other than downloading and unzipping Debugfs.zip, tf300_nvflashpack.zip, nvflash_binaries.zip (for Windows), and TWRP?

I've been delaying to understand everything as best as possible but now want to get moving forward! Not a newbie and don't want to ask stupid questions, but also don't want to make my life more difficult (or brick my new "joy"). Thanks!!

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
First, sorry for the eyestrain but please bear with me...also think I originally posted this in the wrong forum! I have new stock TF300T (came with ICS v9.4.3.17 US SKU) and will be rooting it. Had wanted to keep it locked for warranty purposes, but same time want TWRP for nandroid backups, etc. After reading about NVFlash I'm thinking of going ahead, unlocking and running NVFlash. Seems this will keep me safe in case I did brick it later (having the NVFlash backups would "counter" my voiding the ASUS warranty). The bricksafe.img will bring it back to my current version/state but just with the bootloader still unlocked, right? Please correct me right away if I'm misinterpeting anything here!

I've read lots of posts over the last week before doing anything on it so it's essentially still straight out of the box. I do have an OTA waiting for install but not sure whether it's for ICS .30 or JB and have left it alone. I've read/watched lots of how to's and follow-up questions/problems/answers, think I've figured out any "side effects", and been formulating a game plan/order of steps. As far as I understand, with my ICS version I can root using Debugfs, unlock and run NVFlash and create my master backups, and then install TWRP pretty easily.

Does this seem like the right idea and is there a preferred order for these (other than requisite unlock before NVFlash and TWRP installs)? And I may need to post this under the NVFlash instructions post, but it says I'll be flashing the AndroidRoot.mobi bootloader v9.4.3.30r01 - this will work with my ICS 4.9.3.17 right (just noting possible difference in versions)?

I read that one can do the OTA's after rooting (and restore root after), but figure best not to install any OTA's so I can run NVFlash (hate to accidentally run an OTA and find it was for JB). Unlocking will prevent future OTA's but if I stay with stock ROM's, I can either flash an update dl'd from Asus or use Goo Manager, right (or try other ROMs)?

Lastly (for now), in preparation I've installed the Universal Naked Drivers v0.72 and running adb shows my device while connected to Windows 7. Is there any other prep work I should do (other than downloading and unzipping Debugfs.zip, tf300_nvflashpack.zip, nvflash_binaries.zip (for Windows), and TWRP?

I've been delaying to understand everything as best as possible but now want to get moving forward! Not a newbie and don't want to ask stupid questions, but also don't want to make my life more difficult (or brick my new "joy"). Thanks!!

Verify adb access and fastboot access before you do anything else.

Until recently I would recommend nvflash. Go to the guide site for nvflash and see the support ( none I can find ). Go to the nvflash thread and see the support ( none I can find ). Find where anyone truly versed with nvflash has bothered to provide instructions for recovery when bricked ( none I can find ).
At this time it is a highly guarded secret. I don't understand why but if you can't figure it out yourself you don't deserve to know. Even with all of the bricks with nvflash very few get unbricked and many get hard bricked trying to recover.
At this time I'd stay on ICS and wait until there is truly a proper restoral and help thread. A huge percent of the bricks being reported daily are related to nvflash.

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
Verify adb access and fastboot access before you do anything else.

Until recently I would recommend nvflash. Go to the guide site for nvflash and see the support ( none I can find ). Go to the nvflash thread and see the support ( none I can find ). Find where anyone truly versed with nvflash has bothered to provide instructions for recovery when bricked ( none I can find ).
At this time it is a highly guarded secret. I don't understand why but if you can't figure it out yourself you don't deserve to know. Even with all of the bricks with nvflash very few get unbricked and many get hard bricked trying to recover.
At this time I'd stay on ICS and wait until there is truly a proper restoral and help thread. A huge percent of the bricks being reported daily are related to nvflash.

Thanks for the quick answer! I'd noticed that regarding the guide and original thead. I did find http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1962350 (NVFlash - Recovery - Trouble - Guide - WIP) and seems to have a bit more info. Still not a formal guide but some steps/command and would think if careful (or ask first), should be able to recover if ever needed. Main thing for me is looking to have a solid backup before installing TWRP, rooting, and installing the latest stock update. Not really into all the various custom ROMs, etc.

I am curious - when you mention many of the bricks are caused by NVFlash. That's from folks trying to use it to recover and not during the initial install and backup, right? If it's the former, I'd be comfortable installing it knowing I'd have them for a rainy day but hopefully never need to touch them. And again, when the time comes hopefully a guide is available or confirm the commands first! Anyone experienced in using NVFlash that can comment on their experience with it? One concern/clarification - what exactly gets backed up? Read the comment by tobdaryl that folks using NVFlash commonly make the mistake of mixing and matching JB and ICS versions of bootloader, rom recovery, etc. But doesn't NVFlash back up everything while in ICS so restore should be all ICS versions, right??

In terms of once I've unlocked, installed NVFlash, made backups and rooted, can I run Goo Manager to install TWRP and stock JB update? Not sure which version of TWRP is installed but thinking its v2.3 and is this compatible, or do I want to use v2.2 instead? Or should I just use Flashboot/ADB instead?

Oh and as far as testing, I uninstalled the old driver had initially used for my TF300T (didn't uninstall & remove the HTC driver for my EVO3D but that should cause a conflict, I think) and installed the Universal Naked Driver for ADB. I can see my TF300T via ADB but is there any way to test Flashboot? At the moment if I hold the Power & Down volume buttons, I just get the tipped over Android w/the red exclamation mark. I take it once I unlock the bootloader, I can get into Flashboot USB mode this way and test/use fastboot?

Thanks!

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
Thanks for the quick answer! I'd noticed that regarding the guide and original thead. I did find http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1962350 (NVFlash - Recovery - Trouble - Guide - WIP) and seems to have a bit more info. Still not a formal guide but some steps/command and would think if careful (or ask first), should be able to recover if ever needed. Main thing for me is looking to have a solid backup before installing TWRP, rooting, and installing the latest stock update. Not really into all the various custom ROMs, etc.

I am curious - when you mention many of the bricks are caused by NVFlash. That's from folks trying to use it to recover and not during the initial install and backup, right? If it's the former, I'd be comfortable installing it knowing I'd have them for a rainy day but hopefully never need to touch them. And again, when the time comes hopefully a guide is available or confirm the commands first! Anyone experienced in using NVFlash that can comment on their experience with it? One concern/clarification - what exactly gets backed up? Read the comment by tobdaryl that folks using NVFlash commonly make the mistake of mixing and matching JB and ICS versions of bootloader, rom recovery, etc. But doesn't NVFlash back up everything while in ICS so restore should be all ICS versions, right??

In terms of once I've unlocked, installed NVFlash, made backups and rooted, can I run Goo Manager to install TWRP and stock JB update? Not sure which version of TWRP is installed but thinking its v2.3 and is this compatible, or do I want to use v2.2 instead? Or should I just use Flashboot/ADB instead?

Oh and as far as testing, I uninstalled the old driver had initially used for my TF300T (didn't uninstall & remove the HTC driver for my EVO3D but that should cause a conflict, I think) and installed the Universal Naked Driver for ADB. I can see my TF300T via ADB but is there any way to test Flashboot? At the moment if I hold the Power & Down volume buttons, I just get the tipped over Android w/the red exclamation mark. I take it once I unlock the bootloader, I can get into Flashboot USB mode this way and test/use fastboot?

Thanks!

Did you notice the op for that thread?
I wrote it because no one else would. As stated there I was on jb when nvflash made its entry so I don't have nvflash
As you may have seen people use it and refer to it but no help with info for betterment of the thread. No one rates thread and no one posts in thread hence it is on page 5 of General. This means it is soon to wither away as if page 5 is accessed except by search. I could use some help from others making this thread more useful. Yesterday I searched through all Q&A and General posts and read everyone that mentions nvflash. I read the all the new posts in the nvflash thread as well. Then I added my thoughts from all copied info. I know the info is not organized but I can't prove any and as stated I need help so I can state as facts.
Rant over, sorry!
The bricks are both installing and trying to recover. Look through the first one or two pages in Q&A and General and you will get the idea.

Use twrp 2.3, install with fastboot not Goo Manager.
On some devices your method is good not this one. CWM has issues at this time. Don't use rom manager to install anything on this unit as it installs for tf201 only and will brick your unit.
Before you do anything to your unit get adb and fastboot working; except unlock which is required to use fastboot so you can flash twrp.

Access to fasbtoot is only available after you unlock. To get there power on while holding down volume you will get a menu, move with volume down until you are at the usb symbol and press volume up to select. Both adb and fastboot can be tested with devices. ( adb devices ) ( fastboot devices ); if they are working completely correctly your serial number will be returned. I don't have windows so can't speak to drivers etc.

Sorry I missed one. Mix and match ICS, JB. With nvflash restore there is a point in time when there is a mix and match but if you follow through you should be ok. If you reboot with that situation I can't be sure because that is one of the two highest rated bricks. Number two is mix and match and then use the bootloader menu to wipe data and then reboot. Most of either don't get recovered even with nvflash as with either it is likely you can't get back into nvflash to recover.

I believe that's it. I'll try to answer what I can and no more rants.:good:

usbrelic

Nov 28, 2012
what happens next

I have a TF300T on .29, well it was on that FW before I blew it up. Luckily for me, I have created my NvFlash files before that, I also created a backup with TWRP. I am in the process of recovering the tablet. I accidentally flashed a "system" partition into a "boot" partition.

I am guessing that, I screwed up the partitions. I have been working for two days, trying to recover my tablet. I ran the bricksafe and I was at least able to boot the tablet, but anytime I tried to load anything into system, it never actually will boot into the Android system.

I took this time to learn everything I can about NVflash. It seems that, if you purchased a TF100, TF101 and TF201, you would be an expert enough to be able to NVflash a TF300T with your eyes closed. Here lies my problem, this is my first time flashing and I dont have the prior NVflash knowledge. After painstaking and constant research to restore my $333 investment, I am using NVflash to backup ALL of my partition. Once they are all backed up, I am going to use my recovery to try repartition my device.

Once you unlock, the things that work without much difficulty are:
NvFlash
loading TWRP2.3

Just dont look for a quick and dirty guide, read, read and re-read everything you can, or else you will be quickly bricked :eek:

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
I have a TF300T on .29, well it was on that FW before I blew it up. Luckily for me, I have created my NvFlash files before that, I also created a backup with TWRP. I am in the process of recovering the tablet. I accidentally flashed a "system" partition into a "boot" partition.

I am guessing that, I screwed up the partitions. I have been working for two days, trying to recover my tablet. I ran the bricksafe and I was at least able to boot the tablet, but anytime I tried to load anything into system, it never actually will boot into the Android system.

I took this time to learn everything I can about NVflash. It seems that, if you purchased a TF100, TF101 and TF201, you would be an expert enough to be able to NVflash a TF300T with your eyes closed. Here lies my problem, this is my first time flashing and I dont have the prior NVflash knowledge. After painstaking and constant research to restore my $333 investment, I am using NVflash to backup ALL of my partition. Once they are all backed up, I am going to use my recovery to try repartition my device.

Once you unlock, the things that work without much difficulty are:
NvFlash
loading TWRP2.3

Just dont look for a quick and dirty guide, read, read and re-read everything you can, or else you will be quickly bricked :eek:

Hey G p!:laugh:
I see you got beyond the black screen.
I am confused about your post.
You tell of your problems and then tell that nvflash works without much difficulty. So are you unbricked?:good:
By the way I had two more success stories for the paperclip since we last talked, both nvflash customers.

Last edited:

usbrelic

Nov 28, 2012
my issue - tf300t unlocked with unbrickable files

Hey G p!:laugh:
I see you got beyond the black screen.
I am confused about your post.
You tell of your problems and then tell that nvflash works without much difficulty. So are you unbricked?:good:
By the way I had two more success stories for the paperclip since we last talked, both nvflash customers.

First let me say, I didn't mean any offense when I lol'd. I am happy just to have received a response. Also, you can add me as the third person who tried the paperclip and had success.

Its true, I am still having a problem with my tablet. Its a problem that I created. I backed up all my files fine with nvflash. I was able to get TWRP2.3 installed fine as well. The problem started when I flashed "system" onto "boot" instead of "system" onto system. If I have success with my last step, I will write the complete restore guide for TF300T devices, using nvflash. I have it already written, just need to be cleaned up and I need to find out from someone if the syntax on this line is correct:

"nvflash --bct create.bct --setbct --bl blob.bin --configfile factory-config.img --create --verifypart -1 –go"

Will that reinitialize my partitions and allow me to flash data onto the partitions that I can boot with?

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
I wrote it because no one else would. As stated there I was on jb when nvflash made its entry so I don't have nvflash
As you may have seen people use it and refer to it but no help with info for betterment of the thread. No one rates thread and no one posts in thread hence it is on page 5 of General. This means it is soon to wither away as if page 5 is accessed except by search. I could use some help from others making this thread more useful. Yesterday I searched through all Q&A and General posts and read everyone that mentions nvflash. I read the all the new posts in the nvflash thread as well. Then I added my thoughts from all copied info. I know the info is not organized but I can't prove any and as stated I need help so I can state as facts.
Rant over, sorry!

First off, no apologies required as your rant is well deserved :good:.

I was a space-case - it didn't register that you'd authored the Guide/compilation post, written the response I "quoted" from the same thread, and both responses here! But somehow it just didn't all click - I think because at the moment I have about 12 tabs open with various NVFlash, Debugfs, and related info! :eek:

I thoroughly agree on the need for a stickied guide that is kept current along with question, problem, and support posts. I'm finding it to be an extremely daunting task reading multiple posts, some with pages upon pages of questions and responses. And responses sometimes seem to conflict with other information though perhaps just not detailed enough; leaving room for misinterpretation (or specific to one person's issue)? There's a serious need for one all encompassing Guide including: 1) Original steps/links to requisite files to install NVFlash and create all backups (ie. link to AndroidRoot.mobi's Tegra 3 guide as long as their info is kept current), 2) The procedure fully detailed to restore these backups, and 3) Question/response posts for specific issues and/or clarifications.

On #2, I'm still going back and forth on posts/replies trying to understand what needs to be restored via wheelie - the blob files, the bricksafe.img file, or both? As an example situation:
Think many that have used NVFlash, made backups, and then flashed to JB. Now understanding is the firmware and software is JB but the backups are for ICS. To prevent a mix-match of ICS and JB firmware/software, what needs to be restored? I have not found a description of what the blob files vs bricksafe.img file contains, so does one restore all blobs, all blobs & bricksafe.img, or just bricksafe.img to come back from a brick and be at the state when backup was made?
I don't have a ton of time, but will do my best to provide suggestions, findings, and promote your Guide. And I see that usbrelic joined the topic. Very glad in that had many views with only you'd responded initially. Only downside is have to go back and find your thread to see what details/steps are described there (and I only meant this as an observation of where NVFlash info currently stands: lots of reading and digging from multiple sources; hence the need for one main "clearinghouse")!

If I have success with my last step, I will write the complete restore guide for TF300T devices, using nvflash. I have it already written, just need to be cleaned up and I need to find out from someone if the syntax on this line is correct:

"nvflash --bct create.bct --setbct --bl blob.bin --configfile factory-config.img --create --verifypart -1 –go"

I'm eagerly awaiting the restore guide you've written and will gladly assist you too on providing points that may need rewording or more detail. Won't provide recommendations that over "dumbify it", but have found some procedures/guides leave out what seems obvious to the OP and could use some additional clarity.

The bricks are both installing and trying to recover. Look through the first one or two pages in Q&A and General and you will get the idea.

On some devices your method is good not this one. CWM has issues at this time. Don't use rom manager to install anything on this unit as it installs for tf201 only and will brick your unit.

Ok, thought using a 3rd party app/tool could be problematic. I much prefer going step by step so if a problem occurs, can stop, read, and ask questions before moving into a point of no return!

Before you do anything to your unit get adb and fastboot working; except unlock which is required to use fastboot so you can flash twrp.

Access to fasbtoot is only available after you unlock. To get there power on while holding down volume you will get a menu, move with volume down until you are at the usb symbol and press volume up to select. Both adb and fastboot can be tested with devices. ( adb devices ) ( fastboot devices ); if they are working completely correctly your serial number will be returned. I don't have windows so can't speak to drivers etc.

I'll unlock first and test adb and fastboot (and think I mistyped earlier and said "flashboot", lol) to make sure both recognize my device. Currently Adb does show my sn. Presumably issuing a devices command to see my sn and the reboot command functioning from each is a sufficient test? Hmm...seeing there's a windows nvflash download along with the tf300t_nvflashpack, this all can be accomplished from Win 7 x64? I saw mention if getting the nvflash binary from Nvidia, make sure it's the ICS version. The AndroidRoot.mobi version must be the ICS version since their process only works on ICS, right?

Sorry I missed one. Mix and match ICS, JB. With nvflash restore there is a point in time when there is a mix and match but if you follow through you should be ok. If you reboot with that situation I can't be sure because that is one of the two highest rated bricks. Number two is mix and match and then use the bootloader menu to wipe data and then reboot. Most of either don't get recovered even with nvflash as with either it is likely you can't get back into nvflash to recover.

I believe that's it. I'll try to answer what I can and no more rants.

I take it the mix and match occurs if one doesn't complete the full restore from NVFlash and reboot before finishing? Could definitely see this creating a serious issue. And the other brick potential is along same lines of not completing, wiping data from bootloader, and rebooting? Presumably completing the full restore, rebooting, and then going back into bootloader to wipe data would be the correct order (though in my case I really have no data or apps installed yet so I'm essentially out of the box at the moment and not sure would need to wipe data)?

Ok, sorry this is extremely long but want to address all, and add my new 2 cents + offers of assistance. And of course, ask for clarification on my questions/responses. Oh and one thing should be obvious, but never could find where to click on "thanks"!

Last edited:
Reactions: tobdaryl

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
No one owes me an apology of any kind, I didn't take anything personal as nothing was presented in that manner.
I just want to get someone or multiple persons that have nvflash involved so we can get a thread up that presents facts.

Anyone who would like is more than welcome to post such a thread and use any info from my post if it can be of use. I'll try to help anyone with a new thread ( research, etc ) or try to clean my thread once we have known facts. It would probably be best if someone with nvflash did create such a thread, I'd be happy to help and remove mine.

In my rant I mention the way threads work here. My thread has gone from page 5 ( to be found only by search ) to page one of general where it is now very visable. That is from one new post and a reply to that post. So any thread you you wish to succeed rate it and keep it alive by posting new info here and there or asking a question until it is noticed by more people.

My rant was not aimed at anyone and was just frustration from the fact that after this long there is not a guide that present facts for use by people in trouble. Such a thread would stop many, many bricks. I'm sorry for not properly stating that in my rant and for offending anyone. I didn't mean for anything to be taken on a personal level.

I'll try to reread the above posts and reply later. I have required things to handle till later today.

Last edited:

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
First let me say, I didn't mean any offense when I lol'd. I am happy just to have received a response. Also, you can add me as the third person who tried the paperclip and had success.

Its true, I am still having a problem with my tablet. Its a problem that I created. I backed up all my files fine with nvflash. I was able to get TWRP2.3 installed fine as well. The problem started when I flashed "system" onto "boot" instead of "system" onto system. If I have success with my last step, I will write the complete restore guide for TF300T devices, using nvflash. I have it already written, just need to be cleaned up and I need to find out from someone if the syntax on this line is correct:

Will that reinitialize my partitions and allow me to flash data onto the partitions that I can boot with?

I took what was said in fun as I thought it was meant. It was not a direct personal attack so can't be taken wrong. I thought funny.

Now to your command.
Your command string appears correct. I am bothered by one part and I suspect it may be lack of proper help strings in nvflash.
--setbct
tobdaryl@reload:~$ nvflash --cmdhelp --setbct
Nvflash v1.5.66719 started
--setbct command usage ->
as in full fledged nvflash command
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
used to download bct to IRAM, must be used with --sync command to update
it in mass storage.
If we assume the above is correct we should use --sync with --setbct but
tobdaryl@reload:~$ nvflash --cmdhelp --sync
Unknown command --sync
next try
tobdaryl@reload:~$ nvflash --cmdhelp --setbct --sync
Permission Denied
Help dosen't work with --sync command even says unknown command and yet the last try shows an attempt to use --sync when I was asking for cmd help. ( confusing ) In some circumstances --sync is obviously recognized.
This does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
You'll probably have to read this several times to understand and if you do understand you have me beat.
I did notice –setbct is the only time –sync is addressed.

usbrelic

Nov 28, 2012
NvFlash, the missing manual v1

The following is a rough guide, this is where I am at, in regards to recovering my device. Please, anyone that has experience with NvFlash, can you please reply to the problem at the end. tobdaryl, thank you for helping, I appreciate the fact that you put this useful tread up. I am going to add myTF300T Nvflash instructions. I am looking at two possible ways to proceed, install Linux and run NvFlash from there, also, I need to check the syntax for --sync and add it into my command.

START DIRECTIONS
================================================== ================================================== =========
How to recover a TF300T with Nvflash

These directions will assume you have backed up your files before you bricked your device. It will explain the switches and what changes does this do to your system.

Prerequisites:
1. your before-brick, blob and recovery files
2. a TF300T that was bricked after these files were created

If you have your Nvflash files, then you know how to get into APX. Getting the device into APX mode is necessary to perform any of the Nvflash commands. As a reminder, I will put the directions:
1. Plug your device in
2. Boot in APX
3. run wheelie --blob blob.bin (this will “bootstrap” into nvflash)
4. The screen should read:
Entering NvFlash recovery mode / Nv3p Server
Chip Id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
!!!!!device update success!!!!!

When you created your backup files, you ran a command in NvFlash. Lets examine what this command did:
“nvflash --resume --rawdeviceread 0 2944 bricksafe.img”
--resume or -r send the following commands to an already-running bootloader
--rawdeviceread S N filename reads back N sectors starting from sector S into filename

So we are reading 2944 sectors, starting from sector 0. This alone doesn't make any sense so I decided to run this command:
--getpartitiontable filename reads back the partition table into filename, I chose “partition_table.txt”

Opening “partition_table.txt,” revealed a bunch of partition information such as:

PartitionId=2
Name=BCT
DeviceId=18
StartSector=0
NumSectors=768
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=3
Name=PT
DeviceId=18
StartSector=768
NumSectors=128
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=4
Name=EBT
DeviceId=18
StartSector=896
NumSectors=2048
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=5
Name=SOS
DeviceId=18
StartSector=2944
NumSectors=2048
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=6
Name=LNX
DeviceId=18
StartSector=4992
NumSectors=2048
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=7
Name=CER
DeviceId=18
StartSector=7040
NumSectors=2048
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=8
Name=IMG
DeviceId=18
StartSector=9088
NumSectors=2048
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=9
Name=GP1
DeviceId=18
StartSector=11136
NumSectors=256
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=10
Name=APP
DeviceId=18
StartSector=11392
NumSectors=196608
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=11
Name=CAC
DeviceId=18
StartSector=208000
NumSectors=109568
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=12
Name=MSC
DeviceId=18
StartSector=317568
NumSectors=512
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=13
Name=USP
DeviceId=18
StartSector=318080
NumSectors=208896
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=14
Name=PER
DeviceId=18
StartSector=526976
NumSectors=1280
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=15
Name=YTU
DeviceId=18
StartSector=528256
NumSectors=128
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=16
Name=CRA
DeviceId=18
StartSector=528384
NumSectors=1280
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=17
Name=UDA
DeviceId=18
StartSector=529664
NumSectors=3352192
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=18
Name=GPT
DeviceId=18
StartSector=3881856
NumSectors=128
BytesPerSector=4096

Notice “StartSector=0” for Partition Id=2 and StartSector=2944 for Partition Id=5. This correlates with the same sectors from rawdeviceread. Those sectors are named: BCT, PT, EBT and SOS respectively. So based on the information I gathered, the bricksafe.img” file includes the information from those original partitions.

By looking at the table named: “Typical Partition Layout” from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/wiki/fastboot, I was able to find out information about some typical partitions. Some typical partitions that you should be worried about are: recovery, boot, system and userdata. There are other partitions, but I don't know what they do or if we even need to worry about them.

Here is more information about the partitions:
header is info used to pack the blob and is not seen in the partitions
PT is the partition table
kernel is EBT/bootloader
recovery is SOS
system is APP (everything in /system)
10_CAC I think is /cache
12_USP is userspace or everything in /data
15_UDA I think is the internal sdcard

Taken from:
http://xdaforums.com/show...1129308&page=3
Post#30 gee one

OK GREAT, now I can brick or play with my tablet, right??!?!!!??? WRONG

While its safe to load images, if you do not know exactly what the command is doing, do not try to modify the command to try and “make” it work. Ex:

Before I bricked it, just like everyone else, my tablet worked perfectly. I unlocked the bootloader, created the NvFlash files and installed TWRP 2.3. I was able to boot into TWRP and create a complete backup of my tablet. After that was done, I restarted the tablet in Fastboot and performed this command:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

But instead of flashing a boot image onto the boot partition, I flashed a system partition onto the boot partition. Now every time I boot my device, it does not give me the RCK option and it does not boot into android. When I start the tablet with vol down + power, it only has two options: wipe data and the USB icon (fastboot).

I assume I screwed up the partitions. Now I cant boot the tablet into android anymore. I can get it into both fastboot and APX mode, I am going to assume it is softbricked. What do to???? KEEP READING

Here is how I solved it:
bootstrap into NvFlash
APX mode
wheelie --blob blob.bin

Flash your bricked device with bricksafe.img
nvflash --rawdevicewrite 0 2944 bricksafe.img

Whoa, what did that command do? It writes back 2944 sectors from bricksafe.img to device starting from sector 0

The previous commands could have accidentally flashed over some other partitions, unintentionally. I am guessing, if I tried to flash a 700mb system blob, into an 8mb root partition, something is not going to function properly. You have the ability to restore partitions 2-5 with bricksafe.img, how about partitions 6-18? How do you know that those partitions are working perfectly? Well, I don't know. What I do know is the tablet boots as it used to, except for the first few sectors. Here is a command from: http://tosh-ac100.wetpaint.com/page/...ternal+Storage

I did some searching and came to this page:
http://tosh-ac100.wetpaint.com/page/...ternal+Storage
Which had this command:
nvflash --bct orginal.bct --setbct --bl fastboot.bin --configfile altered.cfg --create --verifypart -1 –go
will restore the partitions on a Toshiba AC100

I also found this page:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=861950
With this command:
nvflash --bct gtablet.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile gtablet.cfg --create --go
will restore the partitions on a gtablet

Another one here:
http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/tra...er-root-7.html
With this command:
nvflash --bct transformer.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --bl bootloader.bin --odmdata 0x300d8011 --sbk 0x1682CCD8 0x8A1A43EA 0xA532EEB6 0xECFE1D98 --sync

Yet another page:
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1129308
With these commands:
./nvflash --bct transformer.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --bl bootloader.bin --odmdata 0x300d8011 --sbk 0x1682CCD8 0x8A1A43EA 0xA532EEB6 0xECFE1D98 --sync
./nvflash --resume --download 5 <path-to-your-backup-dir>/05_SOS_raw.img
[…]
./nvflash --resume --download 16 <path-to-your-backup-dir>/16_GPT_raw.img
./nvflash --resume --sync

Found another one here:
http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?t=517
With this command:
nvflash --bct flash.bct --setbct --odmdata 0x100c0105 --configfile flash.cfg --create --bl bootloader.bin --sbk 0xXXXXXXXX 0xXXXXXXXX 0xXXXXXXXX 0xXXXXXXXX --go

Last but not least, this page:
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1010659
had this command:
nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --download X partX.img
To Restore individual partitions for the gtab. X is the partition number you wish to flash and this will not work for partition below 4

Ok, well that is nice and all, but as we learn with flashing and rooting, each device is different. We can't very well use this command on our TF300T, so I have to alter it to work with my restore files. Here is the command I will use:

nvflash --bct create.bct --setbct --bl blob.bin --configfile factory-config.img --create --verifypart -1 –go

before I go bricking/flashing my device, let me dig around nvflash for some more help:
nvflash –cmdhelp --create
Shows this:
C:\Android\platform-tools>nvflash --cmdhelp --create
Nvflash started
--create command usage
description:full initialization of the target device using the config file
usage: nvflash --bct ./<filename>.bct --setbct --configfile ./<configname> --create
--bl ./<bootloader> --odmdata <data> --go
note: failed to create the partition (code: 10) may be expected even for
sec. storage device improper connection/not present at all

Notice the description: “full initialization of the target device using the config file???” So which is the bct config file: “Recovery.bct” or “create.bct”?
================================================== ================================================== =========
END instructions

Last edited:

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010

Thanks great info. It's good I'm a speed reader.
Actually I copied and pasted into openoffice as I do when collecting other Nvflash I'll digest later.
Once again thanks!:good:

More partition info:
10. APP - system.img
6. LNX - boot.img
5. SOS - recovery.img (e.g. regular boot.img)
4. EBT - bootloader.bin

I would like very much to have the sizes for the named files that were created with nvflash.

Last edited:

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
Ok, I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse still looking to unlock and run NVFlash. Still wanted to comment (while the post was fresh) on a few spots that at least raised a flag for me - and also ask a few questions, go figure! Hope this helps rather than adds to your workload.

When you created your backup files, you ran a command in NvFlash. Lets examine what this command did:
--rawdeviceread S N filename reads back N sectors starting from sector S into filename

So we are reading 2944 sectors, starting from sector 0. This alone doesn't make any sense so I decided to run this command:
--getpartitiontable filename reads back the partition table into filename, I chose “partition_table.txt”

Opening “partition_table.txt,” revealed a bunch of partition information such as:

PartitionId=2
Name=BCT
DeviceId=18
StartSector=0
NumSectors=768
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=3
Name=PT
DeviceId=18
StartSector=768
NumSectors=128
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=4
Name=EBT
DeviceId=18
StartSector=896
NumSectors=2048
BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=5
Name=SOS
DeviceId=18
StartSector=2944
NumSectors=2048
BytesPerSector=4096

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but if bricksafe.img is 2944 sectors (0-2933), wouldn't it include only partitions 2-4?

Again I may not be reading it correctly & realize this was posted in the TF101 section, but the OP has instructions on backing up all partitions. Then it was found that partition 2 (BCT) and partition 4 (EBT) are encrypted and states NVFlash does not handle encryption so 2 & 4 should not be restored. I'm curious with the TF300T how if these are restored correctly if they're contained in the bricksafe.img (realize different model, but same partitions and using NVFlash)... Or does the rawdeviceread address this (sorry, asking without having done very much digging on my own!). Also gets me wondering - does it make any sense backing up all 18 partitions for later recovery or am I oversimplifying a more complex concept (and see my comment/question at the end)?

Before I bricked it, just like everyone else, my tablet worked perfectly. I unlocked the bootloader, created the NvFlash files and installed TWRP 2.3. I was able to boot into TWRP and create a complete backup of my tablet. After that was done, I restarted the tablet in Fastboot and performed this command:

But instead of flashing a boot image onto the boot partition, I flashed a system partition onto the boot partition. Now everytime I boot my device, it does not give me the RCK option and it does not boot into android. When I start the tablet with vol down + power, it only has two options: wipe data and the USB icon (fastboot).

I assume I screwed up the partitions. Now I cant boot the tablet into android anymore. I can get it into both fastboot and APX mode, I am going to assume it is softbricked. What do to????

Being mostly experienced with flashing on my EVO3D and a TF300T newbie, the command messed up despite directing the boot.img be flashed to the boot partition? Any ideas how it picked up a system partition to flash onto the boot partition instead? Asking because concerns me running a fastboot flash command if it doesn't do what one expects!

The prevois commands could have accidentally flashed over some other partitions, unintentionally. I am guessing, if I tried to flash a 700mb system blob, into an 8mb root partition, something is not going to function properly. You have the ability to restore partitions 2-5 with bricksafe.img, how about partitions 6-18? How do you know that those partitions are working perfectly? Well, I don't know.

I take it this is due to the wrong size partition (700mb system partition) extending past and overwriting other existing partititions. Right now has me wondering if the general thought having the 8 backup files making recovery possible from a brick holds true. If the partitions are still intact, but "corrupted" is a brick recoverable via the steps culled by tobdaryl and included in his guide? Not all bricks fit one mold, but am I being overly optimistic thinking recovery is possible in many cases using the bricksafe.img and then restoring TWRP and an ICS nandroid?

Last edited:

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
wha2do

I would like to have the size and name of each file you made with nvflash. I know the names I just need them related to sizes.
We could be talking about partition size vs actual data size in a partition. Partitions in general are not completely filled with data. Even things like boot allow slack for later expansion to make updates possible.
To see what is used for partition sizes, names, etc in nvflash look at the cfg file in the nvfalsh directory (open as text). It contains the config info for nvflash to use.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

usbrelic

Let me know when you post your new thread. I'll change mine from [WIP] to [RIP], remove all info and link to your thread.
If I can be of any help let me know.

Last edited:

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
wha2do

I would like to have the size and name of each file you made with nvflash. I know the names I just need them related to sizes.
We could be talking about partition size vs actual data size in a partition. Partitions in general are not completely filled with data. Even things like boot allow slack for later expansion to make updates possible.
To see what is used for partition sizes, names, etc in nvflash look at the cfg file in the nvfalsh directory (open as text). It contains the config info for nvflash to use.

I've been cautious and still reading and rereading on each of the steps. I'm about set to run each and will get these posted for you asap. Makes sense about the partition sizes (figure akin to other pc/device partitions), so sizing shouldn't change between ICS versions - only the amount used will vary, I assume?

Am curious about responses to my earlier comments/questions on both yours' and usbrelic's earlier posts though maybe we're beyond some of these questions. Still interested so as not to either I don't repeat or to just have a full understanding of what previously was written.

In terms of usbrelic's partition breakdown & bricksafe.img contents, am I just misinterpreting/misunderstanding? And figure my comments about encryption concerns were TF101 specific and from their method of individual partition backups?

usbrelic

Let me know when you post your new thread. I'll change mine from [WIP] to [RIP], remove all info and link to your thread.

With more reading and going back to old posts, do you need to remove all info? While I had some questions and though order/description could be modified, doesn't this still apply for at least some folks? Seeing other posts, such
as orion42's post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1918313 (thread 1 & 3) who unbricked by just using nvflash of imgsafe.img and reinstalling TWRP. Not saying this should be included as-is, but it's at least a template to be consider for inclusion for a basic unbrick? Plus that post is not 100% clear on reinstalling ICS TWRP nor there's no mention of reinstalling an ICS nandroid (which I'd thought was needed).

usbrelic's info is great and especially like the inclusion of thoughts and command descriptions! Truly like this because it helps explain what each step is doing rather than just typing a set of commands blindly. Like I'd said before, seems there's no singular type of brick and resolution. But in this case, the partitions got overwritten by an img file being written to the wrong partition. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this needs more extensive recovery steps than some (many?) others such as Orion, etc? What I'm getting at is both yours/orion42 and usbrelic's have useful info that seem pertinent for a complete guide. And no negativity towards your post usbrelic - just trying ask/make suggestions for a complete guide.

And yes, figure I'm a step or two behind you all on my comprehension/knowledge (though do have a very solid tech backround). So do correct me if I'm off base and/or hurting more than helping!

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010

I've been cautious and still reading and rereading on each of the steps. I'm about set to run each and will get these posted for you asap. Makes sense about the partition sizes (figure akin to other pc/device partitions), so sizing shouldn't change between ICS versions - only the amount used will vary, I assume?

Yes that is as I see the situation at this moment.

Am curious about responses to my earlier comments/questions on both yours' and usbrelic's earlier posts though maybe we're beyond some of these questions. Still interested so as not to either I don't repeat or to just have a full understanding of what previously was written.

In terms of usbrelic's partition breakdown & bricksafe.img contents, am I just misinterpreting/misunderstanding? And figure my comments about encryption concerns were TF101 specific and from their method of individual partition backups?

I have not been able to absolutely confirm this situation as correct or incorrect. It may be possible with a bricksafe file to prove what's included. That is one reason for the file size requests. BTW don't rush to nvflash on that basis do it if and when you are ready.

With more reading and going back to old posts, do you need to remove all info? While I had some questions and though order/description could be modified, doesn't this still apply for at least some folks? Seeing other posts, such
as orion42's post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1918313 (thread 1 & 3) who unbricked by just using nvflash of imgsafe.img and reinstalling TWRP. Not saying this should be included as-is, but it's at least a template to be consider for inclusion for a basic unbrick? Plus that post is not 100% clear on reinstalling ICS TWRP nor there's no mention of reinstalling an ICS nandroid (which I'd thought was needed).

I'll keep the thread open for now and investigate the link you post for inclusion. The thoughts on my thread are as follows. Getting one thread stickied and people providing info is much more likely than with two threads. If I were trying to unbrick my choice would probably be for the thread posted by the person who had experience and used nvflash. Any and everything in my thread can be used in the new thread. I don't feel right posting as fact when no on is confirming my info.

usbrelic's info is great and especially like the inclusion of thoughts and command descriptions! Truly like this because it helps explain what each step is doing rather than just typing a set of commands blindly. Like I'd said before, seems there's no singular type of brick and resolution. But in this case, the partitions got overwritten by an img file being written to the wrong partition. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this needs more extensive recovery steps than some (many?) others such as Orion, etc? What I'm getting at is both yours/orion42 and usbrelic's have useful info that seem pertinent for a complete guide. And no negativity towards your post usbrelic - just trying ask/make suggestions for a complete guide.

I believe the best of all worlds is to merge into one thread and get that thread rated and a sticky. Then going forward information from anyone can be added or modified and everyone has one thread with everything needed to recover. My thread is just a presentation of information I have gathered while searching for facts.

And yes, figure I'm a step or two behind you all on my comprehension/knowledge (though do have a very solid tech backround). So do correct me if I'm off base and/or hurting more than helping!

OK! You made me do this! I have a theory that keeps me grounded, and now you will hear it.
It is possible I may have more exposure to one subject but on another subject you rule. My experience is that more opinions are a huge plus. The difference in the way we look at things can and does play a major role in most large projects that succeed.
Don't stop contributing and voicing your opinions as they are more important than you have realized.
:laugh::good:.

I have only given my opinion on these subjects as have you. I hope we can all meld our thoughts and decide how to proceed.

Here's one for you to think about as I can't come to a conclusion on this one either.
Why do we need eight nvflash files if we only need two to recover? Obviously there are different circumstances that would dictate which files are needed. I'll try to refine my search to include circumstances of brick vs files and commands needed. I think I may need to expand beyond tf300 for this to be meaningful.

Last edited:

usbrelic

Nov 28, 2012
ton of replies

tobdaryl, here you go, the partition file sizes *WARNING* since I improperly flashed, these file sizes may not be accurate if the flash allowed me to write outside of the partitions boundaries.

12/03/2012 06:52 PM <DIR> .
12/03/2012 06:52 PM <DIR> ..
12/02/2012 12:21 AM 805,306,368 part-10.img
12/02/2012 12:39 AM 448,790,528 part-11.img
12/02/2012 12:40 AM 2,097,152 part-12.img
12/02/2012 12:49 AM 855,638,016 part-13.img
12/02/2012 12:49 AM 5,242,880 part-14.img
12/02/2012 12:49 AM 524,288 part-15.img
12/02/2012 12:50 AM 5,242,880 part-16.img
12/02/2012 05:33 AM 13,730,578,432 part-17.img
12/02/2012 04:09 AM 524,288 part-18.img
12/02/2012 12:10 AM 3,145,728 part-2.img
12/02/2012 12:11 AM 524,288 part-3.img
12/02/2012 12:11 AM 8,388,592 part-4.img
12/02/2012 12:11 AM 8,388,608 part-5.img
12/02/2012 12:11 AM 8,388,608 part-6.img
12/02/2012 12:11 AM 8,388,608 part-7.img
12/02/2012 12:12 AM 8,388,608 part-8.img
12/02/2012 12:12 AM 1,048,576 part-9.img
18 File(s) 15,900,606,448 bytes

Thanks great info. It's good I'm a speed reader.
Actually I copied and pasted into openoffice as I do when collecting other Nvflash I'll digest later.
Once again thanks!:good:

More partition info:
10. APP - system.img
6. LNX - boot.img
5. SOS - recovery.img (e.g. regular boot.img)
4. EBT - bootloader.bin

I would like very much to have the sizes for the named files that were created with nvflash.

wha2do, you are correct, the bricksafe image will only have partitions 2-4. Also you wrote: "Any ideas how it picked up a system partition to flash onto the boot partition instead?" This is what happened, I flashed the blob file that came with "cm-10-20121129-NIGHTLY-tf300t" onto system. Correct me if im wrong, I think I was supposed to "fastboot flash boot boot.img" ONLY. After I flashed it, it didn’t do anything after a reboot, then I ran: "fastboot flash system boot.img." I don’t know if it is recoverable, but at that point, after both of those commands, I was bricked.

Ok, I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse still looking to unlock and run NVFlash. Still wanted to comment (while the post was fresh) on a few spots that at least raised a flag for me - and also ask a few questions, go figure! Hope this helps rather than adds to your workload.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but if bricksafe.img is 2944 sectors (0-2933), wouldn't it include only partitions 2-4?

Again I may not be reading it correctly & realize this was posted in the TF101 section, but the OP has instructions on backing up all partitions. Then it was found that partition 2 (BCT) and partition 4 (EBT) are encrypted and states NVFlash does not handle encryption so 2 & 4 should not be restored. I'm curious with the TF300T how if these are restored correctly if they're contained in the bricksafe.img (realize different model, but same partitions and using NVFlash)... Or does the rawdeviceread address this (sorry, asking without having done very much digging on my own!). Also gets me wondering - does it make any sense backing up all 18 partitions for later recovery or am I oversimplifying a more complex concept (and see my comment/question at the end)?

Being mostly experienced with flashing on my EVO3D and a TF300T newbie, the command messed up despite directing the boot.img be flashed to the boot partition? Any ideas how it picked up a system partition to flash onto the boot partition instead? Asking because concerns me running a fastboot flash command if it doesn't do what one expects!

I take it this is due to the wrong size partition (700mb system partition) extending past and overwriting other existing partitions. Right now has me wondering if the general thought having the 8 backup files making recovery possible from a brick holds true. If the partitions are still intact, but "corrupted" is a brick recoverable via the steps culled by tobdaryl and included in his guide? Not all bricks fit one mold, but am I being overly optimistic thinking recovery is possible in many cases using the bricksafe.img and then restoring TWRP and an ICS nandroid?

tobdaryl, after a little thinking, since you started the original guide, instead of making a separate one, use my information and combine it into yours. Just include my name somewhere and I would appreciate that. I was excited about making it, but I realized, its taking more time then I had originally planned.

wha2do

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

usbrelic

wha2do, a guide for NvFlash guide did not exist before I ran the command. Since I was going to be the first to run this specific string, on a TF300T, I wanted to compare my command to others that worked for other people, in the past. While their systems were different, the one consistency was, NvFlash. Granted, it may be different between systems, somethings must be similar. The command could have been perfect, but I don’t know as the system still did not boot afterward. I think I needed to initialize my partition first, then I could flash.

Also, in regards to wha2do's comment about removing all posts, you make a good point here. tobdaryl, if possible, you can take out the commentary and include the objective parts, that’s fine with me. Include it in your original post on top. I will leave my original comment intact, except for some typos!

tobdaryl, I like your comment that it takes a community to raise a successful
TF300T NvFlash project. I am subscribed to that thought. Now, about needing two nvflash files vs 8. I would not take any chances. According to the androidroot.mobi directions, this is your only way to get back. The space that these files takes up is miniscule, compared to the backup of all the partitions that I created.

OK! You made me do this! I have a theory that keeps me grounded, and now you will hear it.
It is possible I may have more exposure to one subject but on another subject you rule. My experience is that more opinions are a huge plus. The difference in the way we look at things can and does play a major role in most large projects that succeed.
Don't stop contributing and voicing your opinions as they are more important than you have realized.
:laugh::good:.

I have only given my opinion on these subjects as have you. I hope we can all meld our thoughts and decide how to proceed.

Here's one for you to think about as I can't come to a conclusion on this one either.
Why do we need eight nvflash files if we only need two to recover? Obviously there are different circumstances that would dictate which files are needed. I'll try to refine my search to include circumstances of brick vs files and commands needed. I think I may need to expand beyond tf300 for this to be meaningful.

Last edited:

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
tobdaryl, here you go, the partition file sizes *WARNING* since I improperly flashed, these file sizes may not be accurate if the flash allowed me to write outside of the partitions boundaries.

12/03/2012 06:52 PM <DIR> .
12/03/2012 06:52 PM <DIR> ..
12/02/2012 12:21 AM 805,306,368 part-10.img
12/02/2012 12:39 AM 448,790,528 part-11.img
12/02/2012 12:40 AM 2,097,152 part-12.img
12/02/2012 12:49 AM 855,638,016 part-13.img
12/02/2012 12:49 AM 5,242,880 part-14.img
12/02/2012 12:49 AM 524,288 part-15.img
12/02/2012 12:50 AM 5,242,880 part-16.img
12/02/2012 05:33 AM 13,730,578,432 part-17.img
12/02/2012 04:09 AM 524,288 part-18.img
12/02/2012 12:10 AM 3,145,728 part-2.img
12/02/2012 12:11 AM 524,288 part-3.img
12/02/2012 12:11 AM 8,388,592 part-4.img
12/02/2012 12:11 AM 8,388,608 part-5.img
12/02/2012 12:11 AM 8,388,608 part-6.img
12/02/2012 12:11 AM 8,388,608 part-7.img
12/02/2012 12:12 AM 8,388,608 part-8.img
12/02/2012 12:12 AM 1,048,576 part-9.img
18 File(s) 15,900,606,448 bytes

Thanks for these I'm sure I'll need this info also. What I was trying to ask for was the sizes of the eight files made with nvflash for restore. Have you considered how to disassemble the bricksafe image to absolutely find which partitions are included?

wha2do, you are correct, the bricksafe image will only have partitions 2-4. Also you wrote: "Any ideas how it picked up a system partition to flash onto the boot partition instead?" This is what happened, I flashed the blob file that came with "cm-10-20121129-NIGHTLY-tf300t" onto system. Correct me if im wrong, I think I was supposed to "fastboot flash boot boot.img" ONLY. After I flashed it, it didn’t do anything after a reboot, then I ran: "fastboot flash system boot.img." I don’t know if it is recoverable, but at that point, after both of those commands, I was bricked.

tobdaryl, after a little thinking, since you started the original guide, instead of making a separate one, use my information and combine it into yours. Just include my name somewhere and I would appreciate that. I was excited about making it, but I realized, its taking more time then I had originally planned.

If I do this I would like the option of using both of your xda names and linking to your directions, thoughts, etc. ( obviously giving credit ).
I'll try to create at least two files that will comprise the revised thread and pm each of you with a download link for review before posting.
You can then give opinions, suggestions, etc.

wha2do, a guide for NvFlash guide did not exist before I ran the command. Since I was going to be the first to run this specific string, on a TF300T, I wanted to compare my command to others that worked for other people, in the past. While their systems were different, the one consistency was, NvFlash. Granted, it may be different between systems, somethings must be similar. The command could have been perfect, but I don’t know as the system still did not boot afterward. I think I needed to initialize my partition first, then I could flash.

Also, in regards to wha2do's comment about removing all posts, you make a good point here. tobdaryl, if possible, you can take out the commentary and include the objective parts, that’s fine with me. Include it in your original post on top. I will leave my original comment intact, except for some typos!

tobdaryl, I like your comment that it takes a community to raise a successful
TF300T NvFlash project. I am subscribed to that thought. Now, about needing two nvflash files vs 8. I would not take any chances. According to the androidroot.mobi directions, this is your only way to get back. The space that these files takes up is miniscule, compared to the backup of all the partitions that I created.

I'm not suggesting not making and saving the files per the guide page.
I am bothered by having eight files and only finding the need for two. I wish to find the uses for the others. Different methods of bricking require different files and methods for restoring?? I can't leave this stone unturned and this information can be added to the thread as found.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

I forgot to respond to the thought about what is required after bricksafe image and twrp are restored.
I believe when you have restored with nvflash you still need to flash a rom with twrp before you boot.
The following info has been provided several times within the tf300 threads. No info provided either of the times I found it.
hold volume down after the --go command to boot into recovery ---
enter TWRP and restore the rest.
I can only think this means flash rom or restore backup.
I believe at this point the rom or restore should be ICS!

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Once you have made your corrections let me know.
In the meantime I'll try to organize some of the other info we have available.

Last edited:

usbrelic

Nov 28, 2012
After I replied, I cleaned up the spelling for both of my posts. Also, you are correct about the next steps. I couldnt get to the next steps, I flashed my recovery, I received success, I rebooted, and got nothing. I rebooted with volume down, and I got the options to, fastboot, wipe data (which doesnt do anything anymore) and android (which also doesnt do anything).

I am assuming, it didnt work for me because I screwed up the original flashing. In theory, the final process you described, should be enough to get going with installing other ROMs or even your original backup. Wha2do, if you are able to flash TWRP, I strongly I suggest that you boot into that, create a full backup and copy that backup off of the tablet. Keep that original factory image with your other NvFlash files, in the event you want to make the device look, almost stock, again. I say almost stock becuase, you can't get rid of the small text during boot, on the top left of your screen, "AndroidRoot."

I'm not suggesting not making and saving the files per the guide page.
I am bothered by having eight files and only finding the need for two. I wish to find the uses for the others. Different methods of bricking require different files and methods for restoring?? I can't leave this stone unturned and this information can be added to the thread as found.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

I forgot to respond to the thought about what is required after bricksafe image and twrp are restored.
I believe when you have restored with nvflash you still need to flash a rom with twrp before you boot.
The following info has been provided several times within the tf300 threads. No info provided either of the times I found it.
hold volume down after the --go command to boot into recovery ---
enter TWRP and restore the rest.
I can only think this means flash rom or restore backup.
I believe at this point the rom or restore should be ICS!

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Once you have made your corrections let me know.
In the meantime I'll try to organize some of the other info we have available.

wha2do

Mar 4, 2012
New Orleans
Have to see there's a good bit to read through and digest now! Worked about 17 hours yesterday and likely only an hour here and there until the weekend. I'm bypassing quoting since only have a few minutes, lol but a few quick thoughts/comments.

I agree a community effort is ideal and will only make the guide/information better. Each person reads posts with different perspectives and can provide added info, corrections, and ideas for improved wording for clarify. Often I think I've written something clearly and later find I needed more detail so my exact point or idea is understood (I know what I mean so obviously everyone else does too, right? lol).

Case in point - I commented on tobdaryl saying "I'll change mine from [WIP] to [RIP], remove all info and link to your thread". What I'd meant was I hope you (tobdaryl) don't mean removing all your original steps/info for running NVFlash to recover?! As I see it you still have good info on getting into APX and step by step for recovering with bricksafe.img. I'd provided the link to orion42's post because he'd used those same steps to recover successfully (he ran into one problem with a missing -r switch but ultimately was back in business). Do have a few recommendations such as putting "Enter APX" first, possibly remove "Unbrick" since that's included in the "Enter APX" section (or break APX into two to cover "Unbrick"), etc. I'll write that up in more detail later when I have more time if you'd like.

As for usbrelic's writeup, again I really liked the command explanation and detail. Might pull out the partition specific info as a separate viewable section to keep the steps closer together (or refer to it as being at the bottom?). Have to look at it more later. Also, are you making corrections to this thread or another? I noticed it still says bricksafe.img is partitions 2-5...

I think we're getting there - one suggestion depending on time available is to set up a shared doc (dropbox or ?) for review and edits. Guess early alzheimers, but starting to get lost in the posts. Plus would then end up with a completed guide that could then be put up for sticky or similar. Only issue is how to recommend edits before actually applying them...perhaps a changelog type doc in addition? Ok, maybe this will take more time than you all (and I) have?

Ok, outta time here - and haven't gone back to my initial intent of my post - getting mine set up with root, unlocked, TWRP, NVFlash, and their associated backups!!

One last (big) question. With having my free time split, am worried will overlook/forget something in completing my steps. And with being very cautious, am thinking best to build my own "guide" with links to the pertainent files for each step. I know it's rehashing things, but if I posted it would you all review it before I leap (and take a mistep)? It'd be greatly appreciated - and who knows, while specific for ICS and most are rolling out with JB now, it may be of use to others!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The following is a rough guide, this is where I am at, in regards to recovering my device. Please, anyone that has experience with NvFlash, can you please reply to the problem at the end. tobdaryl, thank you for helping, I appreciate the fact that you put this useful tread up. I am going to add myTF300T Nvflash instructions. I am looking at two possible ways to proceed, install Linux and run NvFlash from there, also, I need to check the syntax for --sync and add it into my command.

START DIRECTIONS
    How to recover a TF300T with Nvflash

These directions will assume you have backed up your files before you bricked your device. It will explain the switches and what changes does this do to your system.

Prerequisites:
    1. your before-brick, blob and recovery files
    2. a TF300T that was bricked after these files were created

If you have your Nvflash files, then you know how to get into APX. Getting the device into APX mode is necessary to perform any of the Nvflash commands. As a reminder, I will put the directions:
    1. Plug your device in
    2. Boot in APX
    3. run wheelie --blob blob.bin (this will “bootstrap” into nvflash)
    4. The screen should read:
    Entering NvFlash recovery mode / Nv3p Server
    Chip Id: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    !!!!!device update success!!!!!

PartitionId=2
    Name=BCT
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=0
    NumSectors=768
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=3
    Name=PT
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=768
    NumSectors=128
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=4
    Name=EBT
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=896
    NumSectors=2048
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=5
    Name=SOS
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=2944
    NumSectors=2048
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=6
    Name=LNX
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=4992
    NumSectors=2048
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=7
    Name=CER
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=7040
    NumSectors=2048
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=8
    Name=IMG
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=9088
    NumSectors=2048
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=9
    Name=GP1
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=11136
    NumSectors=256
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=10
    Name=APP
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=11392
    NumSectors=196608
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=11
    Name=CAC
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=208000
    NumSectors=109568
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=12
    Name=MSC
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=317568
    NumSectors=512
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=13
    Name=USP
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=318080
    NumSectors=208896
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=14
    Name=PER
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=526976
    NumSectors=1280
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=15
    Name=YTU
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=528256
    NumSectors=128
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=16
    Name=CRA
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=528384
    NumSectors=1280
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=17
    Name=UDA
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=529664
    NumSectors=3352192
    BytesPerSector=4096

PartitionId=18
    Name=GPT
    DeviceId=18
    StartSector=3881856
    NumSectors=128
    BytesPerSector=4096

Notice “StartSector=0” for Partition Id=2 and StartSector=2944 for Partition Id=5. This correlates with the same sectors from rawdeviceread. Those sectors are named: BCT, PT, EBT and SOS respectively. So based on the information I gathered, the bricksafe.img” file includes the information from those original partitions.

By looking at the table named: “Typical Partition Layout” from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/wiki/fastboot, I was able to find out information about some typical partitions. Some typical partitions that you should be worried about are: recovery, boot, system and userdata. There are other partitions, but I don't know what they do or if we even need to worry about them.

Here is more information about the partitions:
    header is info used to pack the blob and is not seen in the partitions
    PT is the partition table
    kernel is EBT/bootloader
    recovery is SOS
    system is APP (everything in /system)
    10_CAC I think is /cache
    12_USP is userspace or everything in /data
    15_UDA I think is the internal sdcard

Taken from:
    http://xdaforums.com/show...1129308&page=3
    Post#30 gee one

While its safe to load images, if you do not know exactly what the command is doing, do not try to modify the command to try and “make” it work. Ex:

But instead of flashing a boot image onto the boot partition, I flashed a system partition onto the boot partition. Now every time I boot my device, it does not give me the RCK option and it does not boot into android. When I start the tablet with vol down + power, it only has two options: wipe data and the USB icon (fastboot).

I assume I screwed up the partitions. Now I cant boot the tablet into android anymore. I can get it into both fastboot and APX mode, I am going to assume it is softbricked. What do to???? KEEP READING

Here is how I solved it:
    bootstrap into NvFlash
    APX mode
    wheelie --blob blob.bin

Flash your bricked device with bricksafe.img
    nvflash --rawdevicewrite 0 2944 bricksafe.img

Whoa, what did that command do? It writes back 2944 sectors from bricksafe.img to device starting from sector 0

The previous commands could have accidentally flashed over some other partitions, unintentionally. I am guessing, if I tried to flash a 700mb system blob, into an 8mb root partition, something is not going to function properly. You have the ability to restore partitions 2-5 with bricksafe.img, how about partitions 6-18? How do you know that those partitions are working perfectly? Well, I don't know. What I do know is the tablet boots as it used to, except for the first few sectors. Here is a command from: http://tosh-ac100.wetpaint.com/page/...ternal+Storage

I did some searching and came to this page:
    http://tosh-ac100.wetpaint.com/page/...ternal+Storage
    Which had this command:
    nvflash --bct orginal.bct --setbct --bl fastboot.bin --configfile altered.cfg --create --verifypart -1 –go
    will restore the partitions on a Toshiba AC100

I also found this page:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=861950
    With this command:
    nvflash --bct gtablet.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile gtablet.cfg --create --go
    will restore the partitions on a gtablet

Another one here:
    http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/tra...er-root-7.html
    With this command:
    nvflash --bct transformer.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --bl bootloader.bin --odmdata 0x300d8011 --sbk 0x1682CCD8 0x8A1A43EA 0xA532EEB6 0xECFE1D98 --sync

Yet another page:
    http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1129308
    With these commands:
    ./nvflash --bct transformer.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --bl bootloader.bin --odmdata 0x300d8011 --sbk 0x1682CCD8 0x8A1A43EA 0xA532EEB6 0xECFE1D98 --sync
    ./nvflash --resume --download 5 <path-to-your-backup-dir>/05_SOS_raw.img
    […]
    ./nvflash --resume --download 16 <path-to-your-backup-dir>/16_GPT_raw.img
    ./nvflash --resume --sync

Found another one here:
    http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?t=517
    With this command:
    nvflash --bct flash.bct --setbct --odmdata 0x100c0105 --configfile flash.cfg --create --bl bootloader.bin --sbk 0xXXXXXXXX 0xXXXXXXXX 0xXXXXXXXX 0xXXXXXXXX --go

Last but not least, this page:
    http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1010659
    had this command:
    nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --download X partX.img
    To Restore individual partitions for the gtab. X is the partition number you wish to flash and this will not work for partition below 4

Ok, well that is nice and all, but as we learn with flashing and rooting, each device is different. We can't very well use this command on our TF300T, so I have to alter it to work with my restore files. Here is the command I will use:

nvflash --bct create.bct --setbct --bl blob.bin --configfile factory-config.img --create --verifypart -1 –go

before I go bricking/flashing my device, let me dig around nvflash for some more help:
    nvflash –cmdhelp --create
    Shows this:
    C:\Android\platform-tools>nvflash --cmdhelp --create
    Nvflash started
    --create command usage
    description:full initialization of the target device using the config file
    usage: nvflash --bct ./<filename>.bct --setbct --configfile ./<configname> --create
    --bl ./<bootloader> --odmdata <data> --go
    note: failed to create the partition (code: 10) may be expected even for
    sec. storage device improper connection/not present at all

Notice the description: “full initialization of the target device using the config file???” So which is the bct config file: “Recovery.bct” or “create.bct”?
    END instructions
    Rant over, sorry!

First off, no apologies required as your rant is well deserved :good:.

I was a space-case - it didn't register that you'd authored the Guide/compilation post, written the response I "quoted" from the same thread, and both responses here! But somehow it just didn't all click - I think because at the moment I have about 12 tabs open with various NVFlash, Debugfs, and related info! :eek:

I thoroughly agree on the need for a stickied guide that is kept current along with question, problem, and support posts. I'm finding it to be an extremely daunting task reading multiple posts, some with pages upon pages of questions and responses. And responses sometimes seem to conflict with other information though perhaps just not detailed enough; leaving room for misinterpretation (or specific to one person's issue)? There's a serious need for one all encompassing Guide including: 1) Original steps/links to requisite files to install NVFlash and create all backups (ie. link to AndroidRoot.mobi's Tegra 3 guide as long as their info is kept current), 2) The procedure fully detailed to restore these backups, and 3) Question/response posts for specific issues and/or clarifications.

On #2, I'm still going back and forth on posts/replies trying to understand what needs to be restored via wheelie - the blob files, the bricksafe.img file, or both? As an example situation:
    Think many that have used NVFlash, made backups, and then flashed to JB. Now understanding is the firmware and software is JB but the backups are for ICS. To prevent a mix-match of ICS and JB firmware/software, what needs to be restored? I have not found a description of what the blob files vs bricksafe.img file contains, so does one restore all blobs, all blobs & bricksafe.img, or just bricksafe.img to come back from a brick and be at the state when backup was made?
    I don't have a ton of time, but will do my best to provide suggestions, findings, and promote your Guide. And I see that usbrelic joined the topic. Very glad in that had many views with only you'd responded initially. Only downside is have to go back and find your thread to see what details/steps are described there (and I only meant this as an observation of where NVFlash info currently stands: lots of reading and digging from multiple sources; hence the need for one main "clearinghouse")!

If I have success with my last step, I will write the complete restore guide for TF300T devices, using nvflash. I have it already written, just need to be cleaned up and I need to find out from someone if the syntax on this line is correct:

I'm eagerly awaiting the restore guide you've written and will gladly assist you too on providing points that may need rewording or more detail. Won't provide recommendations that over "dumbify it", but have found some procedures/guides leave out what seems obvious to the OP and could use some additional clarity.

Ok, thought using a 3rd party app/tool could be problematic. I much prefer going step by step so if a problem occurs, can stop, read, and ask questions before moving into a point of no return!

I'll unlock first and test adb and fastboot (and think I mistyped earlier and said "flashboot", lol) to make sure both recognize my device. Currently Adb does show my sn. Presumably issuing a devices command to see my sn and the reboot command functioning from each is a sufficient test? Hmm...seeing there's a windows nvflash download along with the tf300t_nvflashpack, this all can be accomplished from Win 7 x64? I saw mention if getting the nvflash binary from Nvidia, make sure it's the ICS version. The AndroidRoot.mobi version must be the ICS version since their process only works on ICS, right?

I believe that's it. I'll try to answer what I can and no more rants.

I take it the mix and match occurs if one doesn't complete the full restore from NVFlash and reboot before finishing? Could definitely see this creating a serious issue. And the other brick potential is along same lines of not completing, wiping data from bootloader, and rebooting? Presumably completing the full restore, rebooting, and then going back into bootloader to wipe data would be the correct order (though in my case I really have no data or apps installed yet so I'm essentially out of the box at the moment and not sure would need to wipe data)?

Ok, sorry this is extremely long but want to address all, and add my new 2 cents + offers of assistance. And of course, ask for clarification on my questions/responses. Oh and one thing should be obvious, but never could find where to click on "thanks"!