Official Galaxy Nexus in the Philippines

Search This thread

Hikaru1223

Jul 1, 2012
Manila
Hey guys. I wanted to try out Paranoid Android... but I am worried of trying to install it (like cant update my phone when a new OS update comes in) and since I dont know anything about installing roms. Are you on stock or on some rom? Prons and Cons for installing rom like Paranoid Android? I really want to modify my screen and theme it like I want to...

I used Paranoid Android when it was in 2.5 back in Jelly Bean 4.1. Just waiting for a stable build for 4.2 since they're updating their code base. If you have a custom ROM, you won't be able to update via OTA when Google pushes an update, but usually the devs are fast in incorporating the changes so it won't be to much of a hassle to flash the newest builds.

Usually, when I use a custom ROM, I switch back to my STOCK back-up to get the updates from Google, then when the ROM is already stable for the version number, I just flash the newest build.

Pros:
-Tons of customizations
-More control over your phone, especially with PA with it's hybrid engine
-Aesthetic customizations with PA's TAB/Phablet UI\
-Cool features that you won't get in Stock e.g. expanded desktop mode etc.

Cons:
-a bit unstable as compared to Stock with a bit more bugs
that's pretty much it.

:)

Reactions: chubiprince

mixtapes08

Sep 23, 2011
Quezon City
OnePlus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
Tried contacting the Game Developer.

Why is Philippine Peso not supported in Google Play Store?

Grrr! Hell with Globe, since they advertised that I can purchase apps and games in Google Play Store using there GCASH AMEX VCard.

Peso is supported on play store. Don't know what's wrong about yours.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

I couldn't find the steps on how to full backup my stock rom... can you help me guys? :D

Since your a beginner better read these for now and follow each of every instructions on the tool.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=0

I prefer using android sdk but for beginners this one would do the job easily.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

abetrosita

Jun 1, 2012
I used Paranoid Android when it was in 2.5 back in Jelly Bean 4.1. Just waiting for a stable build for 4.2 since they're updating their code base. If you have a custom ROM, you won't be able to update via OTA when Google pushes an update, but usually the devs are fast in incorporating the changes so it won't be to much of a hassle to flash the newest builds.

Usually, when I use a custom ROM, I switch back to my STOCK back-up to get the updates from Google, then when the ROM is already stable for the version number, I just flash the newest build.

Pros:
-Tons of customizations
-More control over your phone, especially with PA with it's hybrid engine
-Aesthetic customizations with PA's TAB/Phablet UI\
-Cool features that you won't get in Stock e.g. expanded desktop mode etc.

Cons:
-a bit unstable as compared to Stock with a bit more bugs
that's pretty much it.

:)

I am using latest Paranoidandroid 2.99betaSix + franco kernel v335 and I can say this is stable and I am not noticing any relevant bug. It can be used as a daily driver imo and very satisfied with the customization and performance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

alfiemenace

Apr 20, 2011
I'm planning to buy this phone since nexus4 is taking so long to be available here in ph. My question is, is it worth buying? Or should I wait and upgrade to a nexus4? Or buy the nexus7-3g? Hihi

Stock ROM, custom user.

Sent from my LT18I using xda premium

Have you noticed guys that after updating your GNex to 4.2 or 4.2.1, Globe Services icon is gone in the app listing?

I'm with you on this. Sim toolkit seems to have a "now you see me, now you don't" attitude on the 4.2 and beyond build. I have 2 gnex running both takju. One was straight ota from ics and the sim toolkit sometimes shows then disappears from the app drawer. the other one though was a straight flash of takju 4.2 then ota to 4.2.1 but the sim toolkit is always there. no idea on why the app is like that. i don't really bother since i don't use it but it just gives me that question mark look at times.

alfiemenace

Apr 20, 2011
Is it not okay to buy from gray market here in ph like widget city or kimstore?

Stock ROM, custom user.

Is it not okay to buy from gray market here in ph like widget city or kimstore?

Stock ROM, custom user.

That will have to be a preference of the buyer himself. My first gnex is gray as I got it from HK but if I could get something before with official warranty, I'd prefer that

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: alfiemenace

chubiprince

I'm with you on this. Sim toolkit seems to have a "now you see me, now you don't" attitude on the 4.2 and beyond build. I have 2 gnex running both takju. One was straight ota from ics and the sim toolkit sometimes shows then disappears from the app drawer. the other one though was a straight flash of takju 4.2 then ota to 4.2.1 but the sim toolkit is always there. no idea on why the app is like that. i don't really bother since i don't use it but it just gives me that question mark look at times.

I am using the sim toolkit to for my gcash transactions. now, i have to memorize those keywords.

nomad4ever

Hey guys, I'm in Metro Manila currently, coming from Bali, Indonesia.

Which radio/baseband are your using here to get decent battery life? Mine is abysmal here, compared to Bali. Battery percentage is dropping like a stone, basically cutting in half, to what I'm used to. Although I have almost always HSDPA with full bars. And I'm on Smart Buddy.

My Nexus is stock 4.2 and rooted and on XXLF1 now. Thanks!

Hikaru1223

Jul 1, 2012
Manila
I am using latest Paranoidandroid 2.99betaSix + franco kernel v335 and I can say this is stable and I am not noticing any relevant bug. It can be used as a daily driver imo and very satisfied with the customization and performance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

I haven't really tried using custom kernels, so how's the battery life? Is it a huge improvement? And I guess I'll be waiting for PA 3+ next year, too lazy to do root, and fix the 0 folder thing on 4.2 ha ha.

I had the same problem, so I did some net searches and it appears that this was intentional by Google due to security reasons on the STK.apk. What I did was set up a Sim Card Lock and rebooted the phone. It will ask you for your pin to activate the sim and then Sim Tool Kit can be used like before :)

Reactions: thephantom

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A collaborative project by me and mixtapes08. :D

uheryhe2.jpg

azese6aq.jpg

- JFDSM™
    [Team AOSPilipinas™]

Mostly you.. Lol.. 10% for me.

-3StarsAndaSun
    Upwards of 1k for all of them. The otterbox cases go for around 2k, IIRC.

Best value cases I've seen and used are the Mercury TPU cases. 500 each at Hackstern in Robinson's Galleria.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    I know there is a dialer code you can type to bring up a menu which will allow temporary switching.

*#*#4636#*#*

What type of batt life you get with the roms and kernels you're using? With standard batt of course. I barely get to 4 hours with data on all the time. I think the radio on my phone sucks. Rarely get a green signal as compared to the S2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I can go a full day with data always on and still have around 40% battery life at the end of the day. That includes around 2-2.5 hours screen time and 2 hours or so of listening to music/audiobooks.

You are in a place where signal is poor. So the phone sends more juice to your radio in trying to maintain a decent connection. If you're only using data to send messages or text emails or anything that doesn't require high speed, try setting network to 2g only if you don't really need the speed. See if that helps.

EDIT: However, if all those 4 hours are spent surfing the internet with screen on, then you get about the same battery life as everyone else. :)
    Thanks! I appreciate it. One last thing if you may... I understand you're not using your GNex that much now, but still can you generally say that the 4.3 update is better than 4.2.2?

Well, usually updates are meant to improve one way or the other. It may not be something we see or feel on the first glance or even after using it for so long. I think on a regular user's perspective there won't be that much difference but maybe upon heavy is there's the benefit. Sorry I can't be as clear as I'd like to be because I seldom use it but for those times that I do, I haven't had any issues so maybe I can say yes with a disclaimer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4