BOBS BATTERY BIBLE

Updated 19/8/13

Welcome to Bobs Battery Bible.

These are settings and tips for longer life from your battery without the need for undervolting and/or underclocking.
I like to have performance on hand if needed.

My goal is to have my battery last from when i wake to when i sleep, so say ~16hours with a minimum of 4.5 hours screen on time.
Everyone has different usage so whatever you get now, you should see quite a big difference.

If you do want to undervolt/underclock then I recommend you have a look here for the best in the buisness - Many40's amazing battery scripts.

USE COMMON SENSE Do not touch system apps if you don't know what they are.

First get LINK2SD to uninstall "bloatware" (Delete from Preload folder too with Root Explorer or similar app)

APPS THAT CAN BE REMOVED From NeatROM Lite.

*NEW* APPS THAT CAN BE REMOVED From Galaxy S4

ALL APPS & THEIR FUNCTIONS

Use dark wallpapers, the more black the better! Rosario34 WALLPAPER THREAD

Set with TwCROP for a better fit.

SETTINGS - WiFi - ADVANCED : Turn off "Notify when network available"
Change "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "when plugged in" or "never" but turn off data too.
You may benefit from Better WiFi app

SETTINGS - DISPLAY : Set your new, preferably black wallpaper as Home & Lockscreen.
Turn Brightness to minimum and auto off.
I set timeout to 1min.

SETTINGS - SOUND : Turn vibration level sliders to minimum. Turn off "lockscreen sounds" , "haptic feedback" & "key press sounds"

SETTINGS - MOTION : Everything off (Big Drainers)

SETTINGS - LOCATION : Uncheck all 3 boxes until needed. Get used to turning these off overnight at least.

SETTINGS - DATA USAGE : Press menu and uncheck "auto sync" box.

SETTINGS - DEVELOPER OPTIONS : Change all three animation times to x0.5 for a quicker UI or off if you don't mind no animation at all.

SETTINGS - BACKUP & RESET : Turn off "Backup my Data" *only if you don't want your details backing up to Google*

SETTINGS - ACCOUNTS : Change your Google, email, Dropbox etc Accounts Sync state to off or manual.

MESSAGES - MENU : Uncheck "CB Activation" and "Push messages" boxes.

KEYBOARD - MENU : Turn off "vibrate" and "sounds on keypress" .

MISC : Apps like facebook, google+ and twitter, turn off syncs & notifications otherwise just bookmark the site!
Autorotate can be turned off to save a little more juice.

Turn off Wifi, Data & locations Overnight whilst you're sleeping.

Keep Homescreens and widgets to a minimum.
Use Inverted apps where possible.

Clear "recent apps" regularly by holding Home button and pressing the delete icon.

MODEMS :
Veyka's Modems

ApriliaM3's Modems

*NELP3, KH3, MS2, LS8, BVLP7, LPX, NELS1* Are regarded as some of the best.

*Do not use GetRiL app on JellyBean*

Use FAST DORMANCY App to Disable fast Dormancy and reduce wakelocks. Even though my provider supports it I still get less FD wakelocks and much better deep sleep with it disabled.

These next apps will make a big difference

GEMINI (Now a paid app) *Can use other Autostart apps*
Go to settings and tick "force expert mode" then go through all your apps and all that have autostarts will have a little orange "auto" symbol.
Press the desired app and you will see "configure autostarts".
When you press that you will see all the instances in which that particular app will start up.

MAPS is the main offender which you can set up like this:
(Turn all OFF , apart from third one down and the two at the bottom you must keep ON) Like This (3rd & 4th screenshots in the post)

*Don't touch YOUTUBE*

GREENIFY
It basically "hibernates" apps so they are not using resources.
Think of it as freezing an app but its still available as normal but you won't get notifications.
Tip: Uninstall Maps, Youtube, Gmail and reinstall from the Play store, now its a user app and can be "Greenified"

BBS (Better Battery Stats)
Open it up, press menu/options from top right corner and go to advanced.
Check the "root features" box and give it superuser rights.
Now you can check if your phone is being kept "awake" and the cause of it.
If you are having something keep your phone awake for excessive amounts of time then make at least a 4 hour untouched dump and post it in BBS thread.

ALL DONE! Go to recovery, wipe cache, dalvik cache and fix permissions.

MY BATTERY USE:
5-6+ hours screen on is easily achievable on every kernel without using Powersave, underclocking or undervolting
Remember though, facebook, whatsapp, etc users will get less but with Google Now, Whatsapp, Gtalk and locations ON I can get over 5 hours but average around 4.5 hours.
Note: Not a like for like comparison, my useage was different on each kernel.

Jeboo test - Click for Kernel

Dorimanx test - Click for Kernel

Siyah test - Click for Kernel

Philz test - Click for Kernel

SpeedMod test - Click for Kernel

Are smartphone batteries really that bad? I wonder...

How long?

Special Thanks:thumbup:

_Sale_
NeatROM family
electricsheepdreamer
Veyka
ApriliaM3
Many40
Karpenfai
chamonix
oasisfeng
Rosario34