[ROOT]Kindle Fire HD 8.9

Search This thread

dcandler209

Oct 6, 2010
Kindle fiire hd 8.9

Ok, I had no other place to put this post, but figured this was the best for right now. I was unable to achieve root with the HD 7 method, so I went searching. I am happy to report success!

All thanks go to Bin4ry, as I did nothing to contribute to this method, only tried his auto root program.

The files and steps are located here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Follow the steps for the Sony tablet. This is achieved using the 2nd option.

Video for steps are here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33470626#post33470626

Again follow all the steps in the video for the tablet, which is the second item rooted.

Can anyone show a video of this method with a kindle fire hd 8.9

jmoak

Aug 9, 2008
I just wanted to point out that option 1 works and is easier than option 2.

I've previously used option 2 too root my 8.9. Since I had to root again after the last update 8.1.4, I decided to try option 1. It worked and has less reboots and less work evolved. No entering terminal emulator commands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
I just wanted to point out that option 1 works and is easier than option 2.

I've previously used option 2 too root my 8.9. Since I had to root again after the last update 8.1.4, I decided to try option 1. It worked and has less reboots and less work evolved. No entering terminal emulator commands.

I've tried option 1 numerous times, always unsuccessful. Are you sure you had lost root. A couple of resets ago I downgraded to 8.1.3 and when it updated it removed superuser.apk from system apk's but not the su binary. It would be nice if option one could work as I think there is a lot of unnecessary processes with option 2. Can anyone else confirm option one works from this method?

mdblaze

Mar 25, 2009
I've tried option 1 numerous times, always unsuccessful. Are you sure you had lost root. A couple of resets ago I downgraded to 8.1.3 and when it updated it removed superuser.apk from system apk's but not the su binary. It would be nice if option one could work as I think there is a lot of unnecessary processes with option 2. Can anyone else confirm option one works from this method?

Option 1 has never worked for me either...

jmoak

Aug 9, 2008
I guess that could be the case but I got the update to 8.1.4 and also did a factory reset after. Would a factory reset remove su? I guess I just assumed it did.

deck82

Aug 7, 2010
Indianapolis
I guess that could be the case but I got the update to 8.1.4 and also did a factory reset after. Would a factory reset remove su? I guess I just assumed it did.

Factory Reset will not get ride of SU as it only wipes user data and leaves /system in tack. I factory reset one yesterday and it still had Nova as the launcher when it rebooted. Had to update play store and install the google Services Framework and services Login Service .apks to get gapps working again but still rooted with SU. Now an OTA update will wipe everything so root and SU will be gone.

jmoak

Aug 9, 2008
Thanks for clearing that up.

I got the OTA update to 8.1.4 and was able to reroot using option 1.

Reactions: sullytrny

dathay

Dec 24, 2012
Amazon shop has stopped working

So I rooted and that went smoothly.
Installed Google Play and was happy.
Then within 24 hours, Amazon Shop suddenly stops working. I have tried everything I can think of, rebooting, etc... but no dice, I cannot get back into the Amazon Store (I want to do this for access to books under my Prime account). I ran into this the first time I rooted it and called Amazon for support and they had me do a factory reset but that wipes everything. Once I reinstalled I seem to have ended up in the same boat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

:confused:

mdblaze

Mar 25, 2009
So I rooted and that went smoothly.
Installed Google Play and was happy.
Then within 24 hours, Amazon Shop suddenly stops working. I have tried everything I can think of, rebooting, etc... but no dice, I cannot get back into the Amazon Store (I want to do this for access to books under my Prime account). I ran into this the first time I rooted it and called Amazon for support and they had me do a factory reset but that wipes everything. Once I reinstalled I seem to have ended up in the same boat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

:confused:

Try unregistering and then reregistering the kindle in the my account settings.

Rjosro

Dec 25, 2012
two days of research and no go

Alright. I have spent two days trying to figure this method out, im using a kindle fire hd 8.9 on firmware 8.1.4

after a hassle of getting the ADB drivers to finally work, and get a serial code, i attempted to use this method. (os is windows 8 if that helps)

i select option 2, then option one for root and get:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

and it just hangs there indefinitely ;

I have also tried the manual rooting method and get the classic permission denied error that nobody seems to have found a work around for when running the command:

rm -r /data/local/tmp
---

other useful info:

i am running everything as admin, and have ALSO TRIED the qemu method (which also runs that command and gets access denied)

can anyone assist?

perdevnull

Apr 15, 2011
Alright. I have spent two days trying to figure this method out, im using a kindle fire hd 8.9 on firmware 8.1.4

after a hassle of getting the ADB drivers to finally work, and get a serial code, i attempted to use this method. (os is windows 8 if that helps)

i select option 2, then option one for root and get:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

and it just hangs there indefinitely ;

I have also tried the manual rooting method and get the classic permission denied error that nobody seems to have found a work around for when running the command:

rm -r /data/local/tmp
---

other useful info:

i am running everything as admin, and have ALSO TRIED the qemu method (which also runs that command and gets access denied)

can anyone assist?

It was mentioned somewhere that you MUST replace the adb.exe from SDK.
So reboot or open taskmanager and kill adb.exe. If you not, then old adb.exe still running in the memory as a service!
Download android SDK, and copy the adb.exe to the folder "stuff" where the code of root has been extracted, and replace the old adb.exe.
Now you can run the RunMe.bat.
The qemu was not necessary for my, I got root access with the step #1.
Good luck.

Rjosro

Dec 25, 2012
well, im closer

thanks so much for that tip, it did get me a lot further, now the issue i run into is that when i get to the part where runme tells me to enter some commands on the kindle itself, i get some errors

with /data/local/tmp/onload.sh i get:

unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/mkdevsh: Operation not permitted.

with /data/local/tmp/onload2.sh i get:

unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/remount.sh: Operation not permitted.

---

the computer side lets me continue, and installs superuser on the kindle, does that mean its still a success?

id also like to note nothing else is added besides superuser

Last edited:

mdblaze

Mar 25, 2009
thanks so much for that tip, it did get me a lot further, now the issue i run into is that when i get to the part where runme tells me to enter some commands on the kindle itself, i get some errors

with /data/local/tmp/onload.sh i get:

unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/mkdevsh: Operation not permitted.

with /data/local/tmp/onload2.sh i get:

unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/remount.sh: Operation not permitted.

---

the computer side lets me continue, and installs superuser on the kindle, does that mean its still a success?

id also like to note nothing else is added besides superuser

Yes that is normal. If superuser is there, than you are rooted correctly.

Reactions: Rjosro

mzunlhabed

Dec 26, 2012
cannot get it to work

I have the kindle fire hd 8.9 and I rooted it already and Super SU is already on kindle but I have no idea how to run the google play store etc. I'm super new at this and would absolutely love the help! thank you!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rjosro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, I had no other place to put this post, but figured this was the best for right now. I was unable to achieve root with the HD 7 method, so I went searching. I am happy to report success!

All thanks go to Bin4ry, as I did nothing to contribute to this method, only tried his auto root program.

The files and steps are located here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Follow the steps for the Sony tablet. This is achieved using the 2nd option.

Video for steps are here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33470626#post33470626

Again follow all the steps in the video for the tablet, which is the second item rooted.
    Not working for me either. Seems like it can't detect my tablet (have ADB mode enabled). Did ya'll have to install some drivers? I Googled some Fire HD 7.0 ADB drivers, but those wouldn't install for me.

If someone can provide a bit more details, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

These are the directions I used to install ADB drivers on my 8.9. Good Luck

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
    I just spoke with Bin4ry, and he agreed that rewriting his script to work specifically for the KFHDs would be a good idea (get rid of errors, make it work the first time, etc). I'm working on it now and I'll post a new version as soon as it works the way it should. I've already identified the problems with the Unix script and it will be a breeze to fix but it may take me a minute to port it to Windows because I am still very new to the Windows batch scripting. If anyone has experience with batch scripting and would like to help or share some knowledge, that would be pretty awesome (if not, I'll figure it out...shouldn't be that hard).

I have an HD 8.9 so if anyone has had any success rooting the 7" tablets using Bin4ry's method, let me know and I will post accordingly. I think it would be nice to have one root method to work for all 2nd generation devices.
    I have the kindle fire hd 8.9 and I rooted it already and Super SU is already on kindle but I have no idea how to run the google play store etc. I'm super new at this and would absolutely love the help! thank you!!!!
    There's a thread for that:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893410
    Thanks in advance! =)

Good day: Since you want to load 2nd boot and then get rid of the Kindle OS, you are all set and do not need to locate the 8.48 freedom boot image. Any freedom boot image will work so the 8.4.6 freedom boot image will work just fine.

First, you need to get root and then the rest is cake with the fireflash11.apk and some files from the Hashcode postings.

My post (Posts: 298) above this post a little ways describes using root with Binary to get root.
    Even though you are having trouble, I am pretty sure, this should work on 8.4.8.
    A week ago, I purposefully upgraded one of my 7" to 7.4.8 and then rooted it using the LINUX version of root with Binary.

I took an 8.9 Kindle Fire and upgraded it to 8.4.8
    I used LINUX to root the tablet and then unrooted the tablet.
    I then connected the tablet to Windows and used root with Binary V31 and rooted the tablet.
    The tablet rooted just fine.

When using Root with binary, you do have to remember to:
    1: Click "do not back up" on the tablet screen when you first kick off the binary root script.
    2: Then you select "continue" on the PC command prompt
    3: Then you click "Restore my tablet" on the tablet screen
    4: Then click 'Continue" a second time on the PC command prompt.
    5: Once the "Do not" and "restore" acknowledgements are made on the tablet, the Binary tool will finish its work and finally give you the "Enjoy" note.
    Even if you missed a step or two, the script will finish and give you the "Enjoy" response so if you do not have root after finishing, it means you missed a step.

I am guessing perhaps you did not notice the two tablet on screen acknowledgements needed to complete the root process?

Let us know how you are doing?
    If all else fails, I can push a pre-rooted system image on Dropbox and you can download it and flash it to your tablet and have root.

Regards