HFA & Chameleon Errors Fix - Or revert to older firmware from LK8

Search This thread

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
But what about this, the next time we get an official update & that one would essentially overwrite the problem, would it not.

And also, how & if, has this affected wifi. I flashed h2o this morning, got the HFA & chameleon fc, let that do its thing, tried setting up wifi, no go, boot to recovery, flashed fix, boot back up, no chameleon or HFA, but still no wifi. Had trouble with wifi on jellybomb to before fix. Flash Macs rom again, all good.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

If h2o is lk8 based that seems to be a problem in lk8. Not connecting to wifi or not staying connected.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Reactions: aheeejd

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
But what about this, the next time we get an official update & that one would essentially overwrite the problem, would it not.

Going forward seems will work fine since it upgrades the partition data automatically. Just seems that they didn't think anyone would need/want to go backwards for any reason. Not the first time we've seen Samsung not worry about being able to go back.... but first time it's broken something of this magnitude AFAIK.

So, to recap:

LJC (4.1.1) to LK8 (4.1.2) includes a change to Chameleon.apk - this change updates the data in the /carrier partition to a version supported by the new Chameleon.apk. If you stay on LK8 or update after, you're fine and probably haven't experienced any errors.

If you went back to stock LJC or any ROM based on LJC (meaning it contains the LJC version of Chameleon.apk) - you probably experienced both issues.

How to fix it? I've got several options available:

1) On Monday I posted a L900ErrFix.zip that is designed for people planning to move back to LK8 or LK8 based ROMs. It includes the LK8 Chameleon.apk and the LK8 carrier partition.

2) For those wishing to stay on LJC and LJC based ROMs - Gyrene2083 got his phone replaced and dumped the LJC carrier partition. I have attached a ZIP that you can flash by CWM/TWRP - Odin version coming soon. Big thanks for the assist on this!

What does this mean? Unless you jump to LK8, flashing other LJC ROMs should no longer have HFA/Chameleon errors reappear. But if you go to LK8 and back you'll need to flash a solution as LK8 will update the partition.

At some point this week I'll be rebuilding the LJC and LK8 one clicks to include a carrier partition as well as fix the recovery issue in LJC nodata versions. This should allow someone to flash one of these and avoid issues.

Developers - to avoid compatibility issues it may be wise to replace Chameleon.apk in your LJC based ROMs with the LK8 version. It will automatically update the partition and work without errors.

Attachments

• L900ErrFixLJC.zip
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,078

cajun9924

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks Garwynn for all your work. I dont post much but your work has helped me out all the way back to e4gt . I have the wifi issue on all lk8 roms and would be happy to help test.

Last edited:

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Garwynn, thanks for the 2 fixes. I'm confused though. I'm on LJC now (never been on LK8), still debating if I should go to LK8. So in the meantime, should I install L900ErrFixLJC.zip or L900ErrFix.zip???

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Garwynn, thanks for the 2 fixes. I'm confused though. I'm on LJC now (never been on LK8), still debating if I should go to LK8. So in the meantime, should I install L900ErrFixLJC.zip or L900ErrFix.zip???

I would do the ErrFixLJC for now... when you decide to go to LK8 it will automatically update the carrier partition to work properly.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: AlpineMan

LilWeech

Nov 17, 2011
Philadelphia,PA
I would do the ErrFixLJC for now... when you decide to go to LK8 it will automatically update the carrier partition to work properly.

So install the ErrFixLJC while on LJC rom and if I decide to go to a LK8 Rom n for some I want to go back to my nandroid or any other LJC rom I should be good .

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
So install the ErrFixLJC while on LJC rom and if I decide to go to a LK8 Rom n for some I want to go back to my nandroid or any other LJC rom I should be good .

Not quite. If you go to LK 8 and then go back you will have to flash the zip file again. this is because LK 8 will update the carrier partition again as soon as you boot.

Fangs87

Jun 26, 2010
From the best I could follow, I've tried both the install 2 apps & ##72786# and the remove 2 files then ##73786#, but it looks like it needs to be done after each rom install. Still not sure if it is a permanent enough fix for the rom i'm on now, I was on the H20 RC3, then went to Whomp 2.0 when i noticed all hell breaking loose. If you need a copy of my /carrier pm me your email and i'll send it as soon as i get home.

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
From the best I could follow, I've tried both the install 2 apps & ##72786# and the remove 2 files then ##73786#, but it looks like it needs to be done after each rom install. Still not sure if it is a permanent enough fix for the rom i'm on now, I was on the H20 RC3, then went to Whomp 2.0 when i noticed all hell breaking loose. If you need a copy of my /carrier pm me your email and i'll send it as soon as i get home.

You shouldn't need to do all of that.
Did you try just the L900ErrFixLJC.zip?
That should do it for you...

Note:
I'm assuming Whomp 2.0 is LJC. If not, use L900ErrFix.zip instead.

Fangs87

Jun 26, 2010
whomp 2.0 is ljc , h20 was lk8. Where were these zips ? Did i miss them in the op?

** found the zip , flashed it also. So we'll see if ti works.

Does this have anything to do with a message showing up when i wipe / flash now about unable to mount /preload?

Last edited:

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
whomp 2.0 is ljc , h20 was lk8. Where were these zips ? Did i miss them in the op?

** found the zip , flashed it also. So we'll see if ti works.

Does this have anything to do with a message showing up when i wipe / flash now about unable to mount /preload?

No this fix just updates chameleon and HFA sqllite dbs in /carrier to prevent the errors

Lyvewire

Dec 9, 2008
Its crazy how much you learn from this site. I decided to try H20 yesterday and my phones been doing the error. I never updated firmware and I'm still on LJ1 so when I'm seeing LCJ or Lk8 I'm not sure which applies to me. I been trying to avoid any updates since everything seemed fine prior to flashing h2O. Although I had issues on Macks 3.6 a week or two ago.

I've read thru this entire thread but it almost seems I'm 1 of the very few that didnt update. Is there really 2 more updates after LJ1 or am I not reading the info right in my phone? Trying to figure out which fix is for my firmware and which ROMs I should stay away from. Or should I just go head jump in and update. I did see people were having issues on LK8 when reading thru the forums on different ROMS initially and tried to avoid updating because of it but it seems as though that idea back fired.

Any help is appreciated

Fangs87

Jun 26, 2010
I believe macs rom is on ljc, h2o has been on lk8 since lk8 was release just about and i think its the only rom on lk8. I'm not sure of anything running on lj1 other than a stock build where you keep denying ota updates. Most of the rom's have what they are in the title, ex: [ROM][Team WHOMP!]Whompasaurus Rom V2.0-Ultimate Options & Performance![LJC]1/6/2013 or [rom] h2o rc3 [lk8] 1/5/13 new halo theme!

Reactions: Lyvewire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As some have noticed once you move onto the LK8 firmware and try to revert back to previous firmware versions you get Hands Free Activation or Chameleon Force Close errors upon every reboot.

This is what I have done to fix these errors and be able to go back to older firmware (pre LK8) if needed.
    Not sure if this "fix" works beyond LK8 firmware as i'm not playing the flashing game any longer...The Note 2 works fine as is (MA7).
    (Standard YMMV and i'm not responsible for trashing your phone)

No root or custom recovery needed.

1.) Install older firmware, in my case, I used the original LJ1 firmware provided by Viperboy found here.

2.) Once the firmware is installed on first boot it will give you the HFA & Chameleon errors, and that's fine and its where we will put the stop to it.

3.) Transfer the Chameleon.apk file below to your phone (Extracted out of the LK8 update) and install (overwrite) the existing one on your phone.

4.) You'll have to dial ##72786# to activate your phone, let it go through the motions (you may need your MSL, although I didn't need to enter it).

5.) Once the phone reboots it goes though HFA, PRL & Profile update, it will reboot and then no more issues (hopefully).

I have rebooted the phone over a dozen times with no issues, and the phone updated itself from LJ1 to LJC and again to MA7, no problem.

Please let us know if this works for you, or any suggestions to add to this..... Merry Christmas.

** As an update this issue is being investigated further on in this thread with the hopes it will be fixed in future firmwares.

Going forward seems will work fine since it upgrades the partition data automatically. Just seems that they didn't think anyone would need/want to go backwards for any reason. Not the first time we've seen Samsung not worry about being able to go back.... but first time it's broken something of this magnitude AFAIK.

So, to recap:

LJC (4.1.1) to LK8 (4.1.2) includes a change to Chameleon.apk - this change updates the data in the /carrier partition to a version supported by the new Chameleon.apk. If you stay on LK8 or update after, you're fine and probably haven't experienced any errors.

If you went back to stock LJC or any ROM based on LJC (meaning it contains the LJC version of Chameleon.apk) - you probably experienced both issues.

How to fix it? I've got several options available:

1) On Monday I posted a L900ErrFix.zip that is designed for people planning to move back to LK8 or LK8 based ROMs. It includes the LK8 Chameleon.apk and the LK8 carrier partition.

2) For those wishing to stay on LJC and LJC based ROMs - Gyrene2083 got his phone replaced and dumped the LJC carrier partition. I have attached a ZIP that you can flash by CWM/TWRP - Odin version coming soon. Big thanks for the assist on this!

What does this mean? Unless you jump to LK8, flashing other LJC ROMs should no longer have HFA/Chameleon errors reappear. But if you go to LK8 and back you'll need to flash a solution as LK8 will update the partition.

At some point this week I'll be rebuilding the LJC and LK8 one clicks to include a carrier partition as well as fix the recovery issue in LJC nodata versions. This should allow someone to flash one of these and avoid issues.

Developers - to avoid compatibility issues it may be wise to replace Chameleon.apk in your LJC based ROMs with the LK8 version. It will automatically update the partition and work without errors.
    Since the current fix takes you to LK8 I'm working on an alternate now based on LJC.
    There are two possibilities I can think of:

1) LK8 Carrier partition and Chameleon Data - Now attached.
    Placed in root of external SD card, flashed this and my problems went away on LJC! :)
    Problem with this solution is as soon as you put LJC Chameleon back on you're going to get the error again.

2) LJC Carrier Dump - which flashing should correct. Just need the dump to test.
    This is what I'm going to consider as the "true" fix on LJC.

Since I need to test the LK8 Rooted Restore with carrier.img in it I can test that last.
    Will continue to post results here but we're making progress! :highfive:

Edit/Final Update for now:
    LK8 Rooted one clicks will contain the carrier image to make sure this is fixed when you flash.
    Will probably re-do LJC images later this week as well to cover this.
    Smallest size fix for now is the .ZIP below and flash by TWRP - possibly smaller one later after I get LJC carrier dump.
    I found the fix for it!!!

Hey all, I hate to hijack the thread, but I found the actual fix for this.

flash the stock recovery, or stock rooted rom .....YOU HAVE TO BE ROOTED AND ON STOCK RECOVERY

use root explorer

mount r/w

when you open root explorer, scroll up to carrier

open /carrier

delete .chameleon.hash

delete chameleon.xml

back out of root explorer

go to dialer and ##72786#

the phone will reboot, do hands free, and should work....it will reboot again and check for firmware update, etc.....all updates worked for me.

Hit the freaking thanks button
    Since the current fix takes you to LK8 I'm working on an alternate now based on LJC.
    There are two possibilities I can think of:

1) LK8 Carrier partition and Chameleon Data - Now attached.
    Placed in root of external SD card, flashed this and my problems went away on LJC! :)
    Problem with this solution is as soon as you put LJC Chameleon back on you're going to get the error again.

2) LJC Carrier Dump - which flashing should correct. Just need the dump to test.
    This is what I'm going to consider as the "true" fix on LJC.

Since I need to test the LK8 Rooted Restore with carrier.img in it I can test that last.
    Will continue to post results here but we're making progress! :highfive:

Edit/Final Update for now:
    LK8 Rooted one clicks will contain the carrier image to make sure this is fixed when you flash.
    Will probably re-do LJC images later this week as well to cover this.
    Smallest size fix for now is the .ZIP below and flash by TWRP - possibly smaller one later after I get LJC carrier dump.

I can confirm this method works 100% I've tested it every way possible and it works 100% no chameleon FC no HFA on boot prl and profile updates as well as manually starting HFA all function garwynn and I spent the better part of the weekend checking logcats and testing fixes. I read 1500pages of logs line by line just myself as well as garwynn checking the logs he had.