Or Continue to Thread: [APK] Seeder 2.0.0 entropy gen…
Find Your Device:
3rd January 2013, 07:00 PM   |  #444  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 989

1,516 posts
More
What happened?? I left this thread for, like, one day, and suddenly it's bursting at its seams...

Let me try answering systematically...

1. Zeppelinrox's sysctl tweak

@zeppelinrox: I'm currently testing your solution, man. It works, but after several tens of minutes of browsing, the entropy ran out and I hit lags.

My phone does not seem to generate entropy fast enough.

2. watch does not show any output

It's a well-known glitch. Use a while loop instead, or use the entropy_watch binary.

3. Problem with flashing

You can easily install it manually :

Unzip the flashable zip file, then copy all files except the META-INF folder to your phone, respecting the directory structure.

4. apk does not show actual status

Also a well-known bug. The rngd binary *does* stay active though. You can verify using the following command :

ps | grep rngd

You will see something like /data/com.yadda.yadda.yadda/rngd

That means rngd -- the core of Seeder -- is still working.

5. does it actually work?

It greatly depends on the device. It works for my phone. It might or might not work for yours.

It all depends on many factors. Among others: your device might be generating entropy fast enough, your kernel might be tuned with higher entropy pool, your kernel might actually use the same sources for urandom and random, you might not have any app that stupidly use random instead of u random, etc.

So, my advice? Just install it anyway, if it does you good, use it. If not, stop using it.

6. does it put additional load to the battery?

Probably

I personally don't see any shortening of battery life. That said...

Be aware that the flashable version, since v3, has been tuned. rngd fires less often, so it might have less effect to power usage, compared to the apk version.

-- Sent from a GT-I8150 running ICS perfectly well. F'U, Sams#!t --
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pepoluan For This Useful Post: [ View ]