[KERNEL][GPL][N4] franco.Kernel - r217

Search This thread

AshtonTS

May 11, 2011
Woodstock, CT
Gone back to #47. Placebo or not it just feels the best one so far.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I think r47 is the smoothest overall, but my battery life on it wasn't as good as it has been in the past (could be because I was on youtube with data, but just in general r47 gave me less battery life than the others, but it was still good)

Still too early to judge on r51, but I might roll back to 47 since it's smoother

drawde40599

Aug 11, 2010
As much as I like all this buttery smoothness in r51... It's a total waste of 1026mhz each tap of the keyboard. I know you said you are through with optimizing the battery/performance but this is blasphemy.... There has gotta be a better solution.

sent from my r51-Franco nexus 4
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't this pretty much what stock kernel dose also . ?

GJ123

Jan 6, 2011
r34 does not give me lags in Apex, r51 does.
I think performance could be improved by quite some bit, after all that is the most important of all.

hospital349

Apr 3, 2012
New Pork City
Re: [KERNEL][GPL][N4] franco.Kernel - r34

I can also state that my feelings towards r50 & r51 aren't as strong as it's predecessors, when it comes to performance. In fact the version which suited my device the most was r46! It was a lagless beast (even more-so than r47).

That being said, the fact of the matter is that Franco just can't please every user, especially when folks are expecting more than 3 hours of battery life, even though this was near impossible to achieve upon the release of the N4 w/stock. Then again, stock kernel's performance is stellar, which is probably the reason for the shorter battery life.

Franco; have you done some comparing to your previous releases? How do you feel about r51 compared to the likes of r34, r46, r47? People definitely have their favourites, though it's all subjective. However, I think that your development stages should be about raising the bar and not recreating a brand new bar and placing it at the same height. What I'm getting at is that - it wasn't long ago that you considered r34 to be a potential milestone candidate. Then the test releases began. Since then you steered your kernel into alternate directions. This was neither a good or a bad thing. Instead each new release became a slightly different user experience.

I think, if you haven't already, now would be a great time to retrospectively consider your previous releases before moving forward. Not to please me or anybody else, but just for yourself.

What I'm saying should be taken lightly of course. This is your kernel and I appreciate your efforts. Sometimes though, it's good to remember what you did to figure out if what you're presently doing is your definitive work.

Many thanks and have a great day!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

tma200

Sep 26, 2010
I can also state that my feelings towards r50 & r51 aren't as strong as it's predecessors, when it comes to performance. In fact the version which suited my device the most was r46! It was a lagless beast (even more-so than r47).

Seconded - reverted to R46 as this feels the best for me in most situations. R51 was noticeably laggy when hitting the task switcher - seems to take the phone forever to decide to engage the second core and instead ramps core0 to 1.5ghz long before it thinks about lighting up core1. In R46 it enables core1 more rapidly on a load increase, and I assume that's why it feels better to me.

Reactions: GJ123

immunityx

Dec 24, 2008
I agree performance took a hit on the last few tests both on stock firmware and minco rom

Back to 47

Last edited:

drawde40599

Aug 11, 2010
50&51

50 and 51 ran great on my phone no issues at all like some had , but I do like 47 better I can't tell u y but it just feels better , got about the same battery with all versions since 34 give or take a Lil ( over 4 hours ) to me 4 hours is more than I've had on any phone I've ever had besides the note 2 which has a huge battery so can't compare that one ;)

Thanks Franco

JNewms

Sep 21, 2011
Bloomington

I'm baffled by the complaints about 51, my phone is running really fast and smooth. And my battery life has been amazing

Sent from a Paranoid N4

Reactions: murdah204

scream4cheese

Jun 22, 2011
New York, NY

Hey franco since you have solved the performance and battery issues. Are you interested in have a look on this mic recording noise issue? There are a lot people complaining about it there. And it is really annoying to have this problem in many voice messaging apps.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2046613

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I think Franco said something about this. I think he said he doesn't know enough about the hardware of the mic or something.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
I think Franco said something about this. I think he said he doesn't know enough about the hardware of the mic or something.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Yes I have no clue about that stuff, not even know if thats kernel related.

Anyway I will release r52 officially today, worked with morfic last night to improve the hotplug driver. Small improvement but I'm very happy with it. Bumped 1k points in CFBench. Also motley showed me the powerHAL source for this device (it was buried in a different directory than all the other powerHALs, damn Qualcomm) and after some hacking/fixing its working correctly with interactive.

Hrithan2020

Sep 8, 2010

Yes I have no clue about that stuff, not even know if thats kernel related.

Anyway I will release r52 officially today, worked with morfic last night to improve the hotplug driver. Small improvement but I'm very happy with it. Bumped 1k points in CFBench. Also motley showed me the powerHAL source for this device (it was buried in a different directory than all the other powerHALs, damn Qualcomm) and after some hacking/fixing its working correctly with interactive.

It's truly great when you devs collaborate. I feel this is true essence of xda- a group of great devs collaborating and sharing their knowledge even though their end viewpoint ( say, how a device should perform and at what expense) might be different. We, users are fortunate to have such a bunch of great devs for our n4 :)

Sent from my Nexus 4

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
It's truly great when you devs collaborate. I feel this is true essence of xda- a group of great devs collaborating and sharing their knowledge even though their end viewpoint ( say, how a device should perform and at what expense) might be different. We, users are fortunate to have such a bunch of great devs for our n4 :)

Sent from my Nexus 4

Yes me and morfic have very different points of view thats for sure ;)

peschka

Mar 12, 2007
Varna

r51 is awesome for me slick and smooth. I can't imagine what r52 will do with my N4. Really great job franco. Hope to see gamma control implemendet soon :)) Continue with the good work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all.

Current builds (starting with r217) are for Lollipop 5.1 only.
    Builds (starting with r214 up to r216) are Android 5.0 Lollipop only.
    KitKat is dead and the last stable release was r213, which you're free to use if you're still on 4.4.4.

Download:
    boot image:
    http://kernels.franco-lnx.net/Nexus4/5.1/
    zips:
    http://kernels.franco-lnx.net/Nexus4/5.1/zips

Installation:
    fastboot flash boot boot_name_img
    or
    flash the .zip in the recovery

Source:
    https://github.com/franciscofranco/mako/tree/lollipop-mr1

Changelog:
    http://kernels.franco-lnx.net/Nexus4/5.1/appfiles/changelog.xml

franco.Kernel updater Free apk: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1867127

Got any questions that you couldn't find after searching?
    FAQ: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532422
    Color Calibration for the Nexus 4

Thanks for all those of you who provided feedback on my color calibration settings using r72 and Franco's app.

Someone messaged me to ask what the thinking was behind my settings, and I thought it might be worth posting the reasons here too so everyone can understand the why behind them.

Because this thread moves so quickly, here are the settings I'm using again, so you don't have to go searching for them:

R 175
    G 175
    B 175

Whites 20
    Mids 100
    Blacks 255
    Contrast 0
    Brightness 0
    Saturation 200
    Grays 0

Screen Brightness 50%

These settings provide a VERY close approximation to my calibrated PC monitor when studying my photos in detail (I'm a cinematographer and photographer by profession - see here: http://www.visceralpsyche.com).

A lot of you love the settings, but some of you also say they are too dark, or wonder why you can't put a lower screen brightness and compensate by increasing the RGB values to let more light through.

To understand why I chose my settings, you have to remember that our displays are made up of two parts - the backlight (screen brightness control in Android) and the LCD panel itself (adjusted by Franco's app), which the backlight shines through.

What I found with my testing was that with RGB set to 255, specular highlights (and white edges in general) tended to blow out, causing color fringing artifacts. This is easily seen as pink or yellow edges to what should be pure white images. As I pulled back the RGB values, this fringing began to get smaller, until by my settings of 175 there was no longer any color fringing to my whites. Think of it as a form of highlight recovery. By pulling the clipped channels down equally, I found the point at which the values didn't overflow the hardware limitation of the LCD panel itself.

Once this was done, I went into the gamma interface and began looking for where the whites and blacks ran close to the limit, but not over. I adjusted the screen brightness to where I could distinguish the bottom and top values as individual shades. THis was close enough to 50% that I set it to 50% and tweaked it to be perfect.

Then I played with the Mid and Gray values until middle grey was indeed in the middle, so that the tone curve wasn't biased to one direction.

From there, I adjusted saturation to match my PC monitor's saturation level.

After all that, I arrived at the values I posted above, and now have a screen which faithfully replicates the tonality of my photos without any artifacts or strange tone curves.

If you want to test these values (or your own) I recommend the following images. The calibration chart is one I found online a long time ago, which is useful for seeing the top and bottom end of white and black, to make sure your screen is showing you all the proper values:

calibration-chart.gif

The photo is my own, and is useful because I know exactly how I processed it and therefore that it touches both the white end of the spectrum (the highlighted side of her face, with values at precisely full white) and the black end of the spectrum (the fine detail in her hair, which is very black but not crushed in the details):

IMG_1362a_framed_sRGB_25.jpg

You can also use her facial tonality to make sure you see a smooth transition through the grays, not steps.

It's also black and white, which means that any color fringing you see is entirely due to artifacts introduced by errors in the color or gamma settings and not the backlight of the screen).

Both images are hosted on my own server, so there are no compression artifacts introduced by the forum.

Again - my aim with these settings is to give you a proper, reference screen that displays accurate colors without any artifacts or errors. Brightness is set to match a proper reference display (120cd/m2) and may be brighter or darker than you prefer.

If you value absolute battery savings over accurate color, then these settings may not be for you. That's perfectly ok of course. But for me, in my line of work, I value accuracy over the little bit of battery savings I might get by lowering my screen brightness, so if that's your goal too, then you'll find these colors are a good basis for having the best possible photo viewing screen on any phone.

Because I can tell you, I have never had a more accurate screen than the Nexus 4 when it comes to looking at my photos, when combined with Franco's fantastic color interface and kernel.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Visceral Psyche Films
    http://www.visceralpsyche.com
    Really sad to read some posts after all the work I put on this device for longer than an year. Anyway here's r204 that I've been working on for a while...

* Introduce a new bunch of tunables for my Hotplug driver and squash all code improvements from Hammerhead's version
    * Uses a power efficient system workqueue to allow the cores to stay longer times on idle
    * Several key subsystems are now using a newer and more advanced kernel thread infrastructure to allow cores to allow for better power savings
    * Improved thermal throttle code
    * Merged all upstream 3.4.y patches
    * Merged misc patches

Have fun.
    I couldn't resist. My girlfriend is a bit mad at me, but I told her I would buy her some nice drinks after dinner so while she's happy I managed to get the new Kernel sources, build fresh with the new ramdisk and I only had time to merge my custom changes:

- Cleaned config from crap
    - Added my Hotplug driver (bye mpdecision)
    - Added my custom changes to the Thermal driver (bye thermald)
    - Added my custom changes to Interactive Governor (and made it default)

And thats pretty much it. I don't have more time now, (we'll see tomorrow, I rented a hut in the beach for tomorrow for me to work a bit on the Kernel/App while getting some nice sun and my GF won't get mad eheh - Android, GF, drinks, sun and beach, who doesn't love this. I'll take a picture tomorrow and share with you all). Attached is r170 for 4.3 with the changes I mentioned above.

Have fun guys.
    Ok I have a small gift for all of you that run FK for almost a year on this device. I always said that I would never implement any of those functionalities to wake the device without pressing the power button - point is that LG G2 has brought this feature, Oppo N1 has something very similar and... I've been getting emails that users are having the Power Buttons wore off. Initially I implemented this on the new Nexus 7 as a challenge and to have some fun. Couple code lines later I had the functionality working fine and dandy. The device deep sleeps and the only thing that is being kept active is the digitizer for this to work. I sent it to a couple of people and they enjoyed it specially because it worked better than other Kernels that had implemented similar options. Good, so lets try and implement it on Mako. It's 100% my code, pretty simple, and easy to understand. Please refer to git (I just pushed the code) for how it works in the touch driver and input subsystem.

By default this option is disabled, but you can enable it by doing:

echo 1 > /sys/module/lge_touch_core/parameters/touch_to_wake

After this is enabled you can power up the display by double tapping just like the LG G2, and you can swipe from whenever you want on the display and it will power up. There is a 100ms (0.1s) minimum interval where the algorithm will detect touch events so filter ghost touches and some unintended shít. It seems very low value, but when we're touching the screen the digitizer is capturing hundreds of touch events every minute, and dozens every second. So this works as a filter.

If you're using touch_control and you want to test this, please disable the module and reboot your device or you'll most likely get into some **** problems. And the same thing other way around.

Oh and interactive is back to default, it just gives me more consistence results all around.

Attached goes two test zips, flash, enable the touch thingy, test, and report back.