Need Help...Note 2 Keeps Freezing

Search This thread

Gunny223

Jan 6, 2012
I'm hoping you guys can help. Been a long time lurker here and am going to be buying my Note 2 at the end of the month. But my wife purchased one the day after Christmas, and since the new ota update in January, her N2 has been freezing a lot. Sometimes you can get it to turn back on, but than it freezes and reboots on its own. Most of the time she has to do a battery pull to get it to come back on. It happens about 5 times a day.

Verizon had her factory reset it, but it still has the persistent problem. Best Buy took a look at it and they couldn't figure it out. She is hoping we can figure it out before we have to send it back in, which would suck because she would be without a phone that she needs for work for a week. Not to mention Best Buy and Verizon stated that if it does need to be replaced, that it would be with a refurbished one. Which I am not at all too happy about that. Hoping you guys can help me out.

shawnx1

Jul 21, 2009
I'm hoping you guys can help. Been a long time lurker here and am going to be buying my Note 2 at the end of the month. But my wife purchased one the day after Christmas, and since the new ota update in January, her N2 has been freezing a lot. Sometimes you can get it to turn back on, but than it freezes and reboots on its own. Most of the time she has to do a battery pull to get it to come back on. It happens about 5 times a day.

Verizon had her factory reset it, but it still has the persistent problem. Best Buy took a look at it and they couldn't figure it out. She is hoping we can figure it out before we have to send it back in, which would suck because she would be without a phone that she needs for work for a week. Not to mention Best Buy and Verizon stated that if it does need to be replaced, that it would be with a refurbished one. Which I am not at all too happy about that. Hoping you guys can help me out.

I'm thinking it's an app she has installed most likely also power saving modes not on is it? Tell her to root it and all her troubles will go away :)

Last edited:

Gunny223

Jan 6, 2012
I'm thinking it's an app she has installed most likely. Tell her to root it and all her troubles will go away :)

I tried to get her to root, but this is her first android device, she's had nothing but the Iphones prior and is nervous about doing stuff like that. It started after the last ota update, and the only recent app she downloaded was Unblock Me. Since then all this has been happening, and we already uninstalled Unblock Me suspecting that was the culprit. I have it on my phone with no problems.

shawnx1

Jul 21, 2009
Yeah I'm thinking it's power saving mode turn it off see if she can make it through a day without it freezing. You don't need power saving on a note 2 battery life is great without it unless your wife is like most females and always forgets to charge her phones :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Gunny223

Jan 6, 2012
Here's the list of apps she has downloaded. She hasn't downloaded anything recently except for that Unblock Me and the ota update. She said since yesterday Verizon had her factory reset the phone. She reinstalled all her apps, and it still kept freezing. When in froze this afternoon and it shut down(didn't reboot), she took it strait to Best Buy to have them look at it.

The guy fiddled with it, and it was freezing and rebooting on him as he was messing with settings. He told her it probably needed to be sent in. She doesn't want a refurbished phone if they replace this one, so we are trying to figure it out. But since that visit, the phone has not froze on her. Weird.

Should we uninstall all the apps and install one by one each day to see which may be causing it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-04-22-21-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-04-22-21-26.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 459
  • Screenshot_2013-02-04-22-21-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-04-22-21-37.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 410
  • Screenshot_2013-02-04-22-21-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-04-22-21-52.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 388

shawnx1

Jul 21, 2009
Did you turn power saving off and it still freezing?

Gunny223

Jan 6, 2012
when I checked it, it was already off. I know she had it on, but don't know if the BB guy turned it off or if it was turned off by the factory reset.

shawnx1

Jul 21, 2009
If it's still freezing with power save off then I would factory reset it then install the apps that she must have for day to day use. Then give it a day and install the other apps she wants.

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
If it's still freezing with power save off then I would factory reset it then install the apps that she must have for day to day use. Then give it a day and install the other apps she wants.

This. Factory reset is your last option other than rooting (and flashing a custom OS) or sending it in.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Dmwitz

Dec 25, 2010
Umeå
Phones normally only freeze when the ram runs out. Is there any app misbehaving and sucking up all the ram?
I had some what i thought were random reboots the first few months with my N2. These I discovered were caused by carry the N2 in my back pocket of my jeans! Every time I bent down to pick something up or to tie my laces it would reboot!! I would just hear the start up noise comming from my pocket. Make sure she doesn't put it in her skinny-jeans back pocket.

Gunny223

Jan 6, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions guys! It froze again this morning, so we are going to factory reset and install apps one by one each day to see who the culprit is. Hopefully its an app doing this.

ksizzle9

Jun 17, 2010
Knoxville
I have been experiencing EXACTLY that and hqve tried most of the remedies. However this only seems to happen at work which makes it somewhat difficult to actuwlly sot down and diagnose the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

ohiwastedmylife

Jul 20, 2010
I have been reading about this issue from a lot of people with the s3 & note 2 on forums. I honestly think Samsung/Verizon sent out a bad OTA due to rushing to close the security loopholes. I refused the ota and found a way to permanently defer the update and have not experienced any reboots or freezing.

From my previous/recent experience Verizon will absolutely not help you at all, they are worthless 99% of the time. All they are able to do is tell you to factory reset it(if they know how) and have no actual clue how to fix the devices. They will even 'call' the software support for you but will still tell you to either factory reset or do a return. I am disgruntled after they destroyed 3 phones (Droid Incredible) in my family after pushing out horribly bugged OTAs that left the devices useless. I confronted them and they flat out refused to take ownership of their own software that they pushed out. I still feel like they should be sued over what happened.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

shawnx1

Jul 21, 2009
I have been reading about this issue from a lot of people with the s3 & note 2 on forums. I honestly think Samsung/Verizon sent out a bad OTA due to rushing to close the security loopholes. I refused the ota and found a way to permanently defer the update and have not experienced any reboots or freezing.

From my previous/recent experience Verizon will absolutely not help you at all, they are worthless 99% of the time. All they are able to do is tell you to factory reset it(if they know how) and have no actual clue how to fix the devices. They will even 'call' the software support for you but will still tell you to either factory reset or do a return. I am disgruntled after they destroyed 3 phones (Droid Incredible) in my family after pushing out horribly bugged OTAs that left the devices useless. I confronted them and they flat out refused to take ownership of their own software that they pushed out. I still feel like they should be sued over what happened.

Good Luck!

Yeah leave it to VZW to fix one thing and introduce a worst bug. I had a Motorola bionic that kept losing signal every 20 minutes or so then version sent out an update damn phone would drop signal every 30 seconds or not even connect to data. Basically rendering the phone useless. Worst part was Motorola had the bootloader locked down so tight there was no good development. At least we have good development for our note 2

ohiwastedmylife

Jul 20, 2010
Yeah leave it to VZW to fix one thing and introduce a worst bug. I had a Motorola bionic that kept losing signal every 20 minutes or so then version sent out an update damn phone would drop signal every 30 seconds or not even connect to data. Basically rendering the phone useless. Worst part was Motorola had the bootloader locked down so tight there was no good development. At least we have good development for our note 2

Users should legitimately have a lawsuit case against Verizon. They are essentially forcing you to purchase a new device because of something they did. When I confronted them they straight up told me to buy a new device. Devices should work indefinitely theoretically and they are causing irreparable damage.

My note 2 was having major battery drain issues so I got my self back to pure stock like day 1 and I went ahead and updated with the ota so I will see if the random freezing / reboots pick up or not. I already noticed a keyboard bug where it pulls up a numerical only keyboard and wont allow me to type letters unless I reboot.

nemof

Mar 25, 2011
Did anyone solve this? I'm in the UK and very recently got my ota update. Since then I've been getting multiple daily resets and freezes. Can't say whether it's due to the ota update or some software I've been using, but the crashes are certainly pretty new and very annoying.

14tod

Mar 23, 2013
Did anyone solve this? I'm in the UK and very recently got my ota update. Since then I've been getting multiple daily resets and freezes. Can't say whether it's due to the ota update or some software I've been using, but the crashes are certainly pretty new and very annoying.

Same issue with mine on vodafone in Uk. I havent loaded any apps since ota update and keeps freezing. Had service centre reflash two days ago and it is still freezing etc.
Convinced now its the update.

Anyone know how to reflash to 4.1.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah I'm thinking it's power saving mode turn it off see if she can make it through a day without it freezing. You don't need power saving on a note 2 battery life is great without it unless your wife is like most females and always forgets to charge her phones :)