[Q] OTA Updates on rooted, 111111, s-off, custom rom devices?

Search This thread

myphonesbetter

May 15, 2011
I have a couple questions.

I am on the 1.16 hboot with cid111111 and s-off unlocked tampered. twrp and maximus rom.

I finally did super cid and s-off on my one-s. Shortly after I recieved a notification that ota update 3.16.401.8 (612.27 mb) was available.

I was wondering if it would even work if i attempted to update. or would i have to update manually. Or would it brick it.

The main reason i would want to update is because the JB Sense roms just dont seem to run smoothly on my phone.
I was thinking this would update everything so the custom roms run smoother.

And Should i even update my hboot. does it make a difference.
I would usually be against it(ive had to downgrade other phones before).

D

Deleted member 3544975

Never take an OTA if you are on a custom rom with a custom recovery. Especially if you have SuperCID, unless you want a paperweight. If you want that OTA, you need to get you original CID, flash stock recovery, relock bootloader, then flash an RUU for your carrier.

myphonesbetter

May 15, 2011
Never take an OTA if you are on a custom rom with a custom recovery. Especially if you have SuperCID, unless you want a paperweight. If you want that OTA, you need to get you original CID, flash stock recovery, relock bootloader, then flash an RUU for your carrier.

Ok. ill look into that. sounds easy enough. last time i tried to update, i couldnt because of my cid. now i guess since there is an official t-mob i can do it?

You cant flash an ruu with super cid?

Oh and also, Once i update my hboot am i able to install the older ICS roms like maximus. thats just the most stable one i have found for my particular phone.

One more. Will i be able to restore my cid with s-off

Last edited:

myphonesbetter

May 15, 2011
ruu update

i relocked, then changed my cid to HTC__001
I triedto update via ruu exe file. but i got an error 155.

Im not sure how to update via the zip of the ruu. if its possible.

Also cant find any instruction or files for the original recovery.

I will try to install ota. hopefully i dont end up with a new frisbee.

If i were to extract the framwork.zip frim the ruu zip then install it via fastboot. would that give me the latest hboot. then maybe i could install the updates.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3544975

i relocked, then changed my cid to HTC__001
I triedto update via ruu exe file. but i got an error 155.

Im not sure how to update via the zip of the ruu. if its possible.

Also cant find any instruction or files for the original recovery.

I will try to install ota. hopefully i dont end up with a new frisbee.

If i were to extract the framwork.zip frim the ruu zip then install it via fastboot. would that give me the latest hboot. then maybe i could install the updates.

If you update your Hboot that kind makes it more difficult to flash custom roms. You should just find a nice custom jellybean rom, there are some good ones out there.

real187

Mar 3, 2008
If you update your Hboot that kind makes it more difficult to flash custom roms. You should just find a nice custom jellybean rom, there are some good ones out there.

updating your hboot makes no significant difference (its a myth that its more difficult to flash custom roms on a later hboot).
im on latest hboot and can flash all things i want.

and if your device is S-off dont bother to relock your device/reinstall stock recovery. It will get overwritten anyways.
only thing important is to change the cid. you can always install a older hboot if s-off

have you tried the ruu.exe while in fastboot-usb?

D

Deleted member 3544975

updating your hboot makes no significant difference (its a myth that its more difficult to flash custom roms on a later hboot).
im on latest hboot and can flash all things i want.

and if your device is S-off dont bother to relock your device/reinstall stock recovery. It will get overwritten anyways.
only thing important is to change the cid. you can always install a older hboot if s-off

have you tried the ruu.exe while in fastboot-usb?

When I said it was more difficult I meant it was more work, having to flash the boot.img separately. If you are on a lower Hboot you don't have to do that. Also if you are going to suggest he do S-Off you should at least give him a warning about some of the issues people have ran into after doing it.

EDIT: Thats what I get for watching too many threads, I miss stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

real187

Mar 3, 2008
When I said it was more difficult I meant it was more work, having to flash the boot.img separately. If you are on a lower Hboot you don't have to do that. Also if you are going to suggest he do S-Off you should at least give him a warning about some of the issues people have ran into after doing it.

he is already S-off. (see first post)
but anyways, if you dont do research before you do something, and it fuks up your device, its still gonna be your own fault.

what issues your talking about?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3544975

he is already S-off. (see first post)
but anyways, if you dont do research before you do something, and it fuks up your device, its still gonna be your own fault.

what issues your talking about?

I saw a thread about people losing 3g/4g data after an S-Off.

With S-Off you are made in the shade, you can downgrade your Hboot just by running the appropriate RUU. But you have to change your CID back to what is was before you try to flash the RUU.

real187

Mar 3, 2008
I saw a thread about people losing 3g/4g data after an S-Off.

With S-Off you are made in the shade, you can downgrade your Hboot just by running the appropriate RUU. But you have to change your CID back to what is was before you try to flash the RUU.

I have seen the tread. But im scepitical, because if it really was only because of the s-off more people should have it. Might be hardware related.

Eh you do not have tot change back your Cid to original (if its a branded Cid the ruu still wont run), just a valid HTC Cid.

Verstuurd van mijn One S met Tapatalk

rootrider

Aug 21, 2010
Starnberg
He could flash from recovery or fastboot flash any hboot he wants with s-off. No RUU needed for downgrade or upgrade. That's only needed to go back to stock for warranty purposes.

@myphonesbetter

If you want the red warning text overlay to be gone as well choose any of the files here and flash it within recovery. S-Off needed to do so!
To remove ***Tampered*** as well download hboot 1.140004. You will need to come from a lower hboot version so if you're already on >1.140004 flash one <1.140004 first.

--- edit ---
You can lock/unlock your phone as well by flashing. Read more in [how to] reset your lock status flag. Also it's in the Droid DNA forums it's valid for One S. Remember: You need s-off for this to work.

--- and one more ---
You can change your CID pretty simple on rootet devices. Just enter fastboot mode and type:

'fastboot oem writecid HTC__001'

Reboot bootloader then. You can find a collection of HTC ONE S CID's here

Last edited:
Reactions: myphonesbetter

myphonesbetter

May 15, 2011
^^^^^Very helpful post. thank you. I wouldve never found that.

When you run the ruu .exe, do you have to be in fastboot or in android? The install app told me just to turn the phone on so i figured it would automatically go into bootloader. but it did nothing at all to my phone and gave me an error 115.

When i tried the ota it tells me that I am runnning an altrered OS and i will have to install it a different way.

Sorry for the easy questions. but i just cant seem to find any threads that say how to. I found the ruu and a zip of the ruu. but not how to install it.

The best sense rom has instructions on flashing a newer hboot. .but i want to install a completely stock rom.

Last edited:
Reactions: rootrider

myphonesbetter

May 15, 2011
Never even noticed the thanks meter. I have more of a direct thank you approach.:D

I tried to flash the ruu .exe in fastboot. and it actually rebooted into the black htc screen, so i figure thats the way to do it.

Unfortunately I got another error. image error (159) use the correct rom and flash again.

I am attempting to flash 3.16.401.8 onto hboot 1.16 (relocked) i am s-off and i changed my cid to HTC__001 via fastboot.

Is there another way. or can i flash the zip in twrp or cwm? Again i just want an oem jelly bean with the proper hboot and radio and everything that the OTA would change. so i can be up to date before i move on to the JB roms.

Ive tried all of the custom ones, and the wifi cuts in and out. i used the wifi partition fix. and i flashed the latest radio. nothing helped for more than a few hours.

Last edited:

ultimul

Jul 22, 2012
don't know what to say; normally you can flash whatever rom you want without problems;
guess 99% of users here did it.
however I can not understand what do you want to be full stock? warranty problems?

myphonesbetter

May 15, 2011
don't know what to say; normally you can flash whatever rom you want without problems;
guess 99% of users here did it.
however I can not understand what do you want to be full stock? warranty problems?

Yah thats usually how it works for me. if it works for 99% of people with one step. ill have to do it manually with 20 steps. I guess its made me learn alot about adb and fastboot. I could never get adb to work untill i upgraded to windows 7 recently. until then i had to exract everything to my sdcard via terminal emulator and then drag it to my computer form the card and modify things. but ive been forced to learn quite a bit.

Its weird. I bought my phone off of craigslist from someone who had no idea how to root. But when i opened it into hboot it said Tampered and locked. with no signs of ever being unlocked. completely stock rom and no red warning text on the splash screen.

The reason i want to be stock it so i know all the correct partitions and everything are set up right. (that part i dont understand yet).
I know that a normal system wipe in twrp or cwm doesnt wipe everything. If i wipe and install the same rom i am using(just to clear it up and start over) it doesnt even wipe the app data. (at least on my phone)

Im thinking that its because i am installing a euro rom with a HTC__001 cid and mine was originally TMUS T-MOB010 .

one thing i noticed also is that windows could not verify either of the ruus i downloaded from shppied roms

How do i flash the ruu.zip that i downloaded? Do i need to rename it update.zip like the older phones? Its been a while.

myphonesbetter

May 15, 2011
Ok so i know im pretty much helping myself here but i hate when i come across threads with no conclusion.

I was able to succesfully update with the t-mob 2.35 ruu .exe thats on shipped roms .com so i know its not a problem with my computer.
still on hboot1.14 (thought i was on 1.16).

I changed my cid back to t-mob010.

Im just not sure why i cant update with the htc__001 with the 3.16 update.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

rootrider

Aug 21, 2010
Starnberg
Ahh, things go on here! Nice! :laugh:

It's not quite clear if the RUU is the right one on this phone as many people report problems... So let's go OTA.

To flash the 3.16 OTA update your hboot needs to be < 2.15, your recovery needs to be the HTC stock one , your device needs to be relocked (not totally shure as mine wasn't at that time and it worked, but please remember that) and you need to have HTC stock system/ and stock data/ (ICS) files on your phone (you'll have to unroot as well, if rootet), as the OTA seems to check if certain files are present before working.

All that is quite a pain in the ass, isn't it?! So do one the following:

- Just make shure your bootloader version is lower 2.15, else flash a lower one.
- Click here and you'll have access to one of my google drive folders.
- Download the 2.31 zip. Unpack and copy these nandroid backup files into the appropriate TWRP folder on your phone, reboot into recovery and restore. Once done, you'll be able to flash the 3.16 OTA update after reboot. Remember to change CID before if you're on 11111111.
- Or download the 3.16 zip, unpack and restore. You'll have stock htc sense JB without the OTA. You don't even need to downgrade your bootloader in case. CID doesn't matter here.
- To root simply download SU_Bbox file and flash in recovery.

Important: With the JB update HTC invented disk write protection by default. This simply means that files deleted within stock sense JB will be back after rebooting the phone, also root was granted and working (still grats to htc for this one!!!). Check out for elemental x kernel at this point, as flar2 is the one offering additional modules for the stock kernel working around this. So you can be on stock JB as close as possible with write protection disabled.

--- edit ---
I nearly forgot: If you're experiencing WiFi troubles afterwards search for flashing wifi partitions.

--- and one more ---

I was able to succesfully update with the t-mob 2.35 ruu .exe thats on shipped roms .com so i know its not a problem with my computer.

Cause you're on 2.35 US. You need to be on 2.31 EU before, because 3.16 is EU and there is still no JB update to 2.35 US. 3.16 OTA will work with htc__001 (htc worldwide).

Last edited:

myphonesbetter

May 15, 2011
The OTA determined my OS was modified.

I could not restore the folder i took directly out of the zip.
There was a folder inside the folder that contained the same files. I was able to flash this.

My hboot is still at 1.14 my cid is not htc--001 relocked. the update was 650 mb of which i could not use wifi for becauese it just said error.
so 650 mb through tmobile. only took a few minutes but used almoast half of my months dl limit.

IDK. i found instructions on how to update the hboot in best sense roms thread. i will try that.

Edit: the restore for 3.16 worked in twrp. shouldve tried that first.

I may still update my hboot. I cant really find any instructions. Apparently the search just finds every thread and lists it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rootrider

rootrider

Aug 21, 2010
Starnberg
If you are on the latest TWRP 2.4.3.0 go back to 2.4.1.0 (the latest one seems to have restore problems).

The folder contained in the zip needs to be copied to /TWRP/BACKUPS/HT23whatever/

You should be able to restore then.

--- edit
hehe, ok then.

You can flash any of these hboots from within TWRP. Up or down, it doesn't matter - you're s-off.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

CID should be HTC__001 not htc--001. Maybe a typo.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ahh, things go on here! Nice! :laugh:

It's not quite clear if the RUU is the right one on this phone as many people report problems... So let's go OTA.

To flash the 3.16 OTA update your hboot needs to be < 2.15, your recovery needs to be the HTC stock one , your device needs to be relocked (not totally shure as mine wasn't at that time and it worked, but please remember that) and you need to have HTC stock system/ and stock data/ (ICS) files on your phone (you'll have to unroot as well, if rootet), as the OTA seems to check if certain files are present before working.

All that is quite a pain in the ass, isn't it?! So do one the following:

- Just make shure your bootloader version is lower 2.15, else flash a lower one.
    - Click here and you'll have access to one of my google drive folders.
    - Download the 2.31 zip. Unpack and copy these nandroid backup files into the appropriate TWRP folder on your phone, reboot into recovery and restore. Once done, you'll be able to flash the 3.16 OTA update after reboot. Remember to change CID before if you're on 11111111.
    - Or download the 3.16 zip, unpack and restore. You'll have stock htc sense JB without the OTA. You don't even need to downgrade your bootloader in case. CID doesn't matter here.
    - To root simply download SU_Bbox file and flash in recovery.

Important: With the JB update HTC invented disk write protection by default. This simply means that files deleted within stock sense JB will be back after rebooting the phone, also root was granted and working (still grats to htc for this one!!!). Check out for elemental x kernel at this point, as flar2 is the one offering additional modules for the stock kernel working around this. So you can be on stock JB as close as possible with write protection disabled.

--- edit ---
    I nearly forgot: If you're experiencing WiFi troubles afterwards search for flashing wifi partitions.

--- and one more ---

Cause you're on 2.35 US. You need to be on 2.31 EU before, because 3.16 is EU and there is still no JB update to 2.35 US. 3.16 OTA will work with htc__001 (htc worldwide).
    He could flash from recovery or fastboot flash any hboot he wants with s-off. No RUU needed for downgrade or upgrade. That's only needed to go back to stock for warranty purposes.

@myphonesbetter

If you want the red warning text overlay to be gone as well choose any of the files here and flash it within recovery. S-Off needed to do so!
    To remove ***Tampered*** as well download hboot 1.140004. You will need to come from a lower hboot version so if you're already on >1.140004 flash one <1.140004 first.

--- edit ---
    You can lock/unlock your phone as well by flashing. Read more in [how to] reset your lock status flag. Also it's in the Droid DNA forums it's valid for One S. Remember: You need s-off for this to work.

--- and one more ---
    You can change your CID pretty simple on rootet devices. Just enter fastboot mode and type:

'fastboot oem writecid HTC__001'

Reboot bootloader then. You can find a collection of HTC ONE S CID's here

When you run the ruu .exe, do you have to be in fastboot or in android? The install app told me just to turn the phone on so i figured it would automatically go into bootloader. but it did nothing at all to my phone and gave me an error 115.

When i tried the ota it tells me that I am runnning an altrered OS and i will have to install it a different way.

Sorry for the easy questions. but i just cant seem to find any threads that say how to. I found the ruu and a zip of the ruu. but not how to install it.

The best sense rom has instructions on flashing a newer hboot. .but i want to install a completely stock rom.

guess you run out of thanks, no?
    The OTA determined my OS was modified.

I could not restore the folder i took directly out of the zip.
    There was a folder inside the folder that contained the same files. I was able to flash this.

My hboot is still at 1.14 my cid is not htc--001 relocked. the update was 650 mb of which i could not use wifi for becauese it just said error.
    so 650 mb through tmobile. only took a few minutes but used almoast half of my months dl limit.

IDK. i found instructions on how to update the hboot in best sense roms thread. i will try that.

Edit: the restore for 3.16 worked in twrp. shouldve tried that first.

I may still update my hboot. I cant really find any instructions. Apparently the search just finds every thread and lists it.