[APP/OPEN SOURCE]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0]-Screen off while keeping device active

Search This thread

keyra74

Aug 6, 2009
just wanted to say that it works perfectly on my nexus 4 android 4.2.2 with latest radio / bootloader

shahru98

May 20, 2009
Ipoh
Hi! First of at all thanks for developing this great app. It really saves a whole lot of power while playing games. However, i still have problem with video playback. Before i play the video, the screen would stay off. Then it would turn on immediately the moment i press the play button. It happen s with both YouTube and MxPlayer. I turned on 3d UI rendering. Could this be the problem? I'm using Samsung galaxy s3 and currently using Samsung based custom ROM (crdroid). Thanks again for the great app!!

okay i missed the Disable HW Overlay part. now it works like a charm! awesome!!

Last edited:

nkahoang

Jan 23, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
www.nkahnt.com
Re: [APP/09 FEB/2.0+]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0α3]-Screen off while keeping device ac

OK, so I REALLY wanted to get this thing going and working as it is supposed to, as an app to simply turn the screen and digitizer off.

After trying this thing for weeks, I still can't get it to work reliably. In other words, sometimes it works, sometimes it literally drains the battery in a matter of an hour, noticeably overheating the phone in the process (Unrooted Galaxy Note 2, Jelly Bean 4.1.1.)

Furthermore, and a bit of advice for people who would turn the screen off and CAN'T REMOVE THEIR BATTERY... How are you supposed to be able to press the ON button if the screen is OFF and the digitizer DEACTIVATED???

Maybe someone can shed a light on this, but I cannot understand why a simple screen on / screen off switch can not be implemented, as in "press the power button to turn screen on or off"???

Maybe we should be looking into how android manages to play music with the screen off and use that same function as the basis for this utility!

Don't hesitate to fire away... I'm looking for answers here!

Im sorry to hear that you are having problems.
The digitizer is not disabled by default, so you should still able to tutn off the app.
I implemented the screen on / off using the power button already. And if you look back, you may need to turn on "Disable HW Overlay" for the app to successfully work with Samsung's AMOLED-screen devices like your note 2. Lots of Note 2 users report my app work with their devices.
If you encounter a problem, please post a log or I can't help, really. Actually, having to support devices while not having those is very hard, please understand for me.

Android playing music with screen off is different from my app architecture. Music ppayer is a service that is designed to work while the screen is truly turned off while my app intent to help services (like map/navigator/hdmi streamer/etc) that don't have that ability to be able to continue their operations while the screen is off.

And about the complexity of the app... Well, I need to update the app with features. It brings new functionality and usability to the little piece of scripts (seriously, I still try my best to improve the core screen off methods but nothing much can be done now). Without added features and updates, my app would have been forgotten and buried somewhere deep in XDA forum. Please understand this. It is also a very fun process that everyone can help participate in.

just wanted to say that it works perfectly on my nexus 4 android 4.2.2 with latest radio / bootloader

thanks for reporting. Nexus 4 will have better support still as now I have one myself

Hi! First of at all thanks for developing this great app. It really saves a whole lot of power while playing games. However, i still have problem with video playback. Before i play the video, the screen would stay off. Then it would turn on immediately the moment i press the play button. It happen s with both YouTube and MxPlayer. I turned on 3d UI rendering. Could this be the problem? I'm using Samsung galaxy s3 and currently using Samsung based custom ROM (crdroid). Thanks again for the great app!!

okay i missed the Disable HW Overlay part. now it works like a charm! awesome!!

Glad that it work for you. For any other bugs, please generate a log and send to me

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk HD

yarisd4dturbo

Jul 5, 2008
Rome
R: [APP/09 FEB/2.0+]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0α3]-Screen off while keeping device act

How i can generate a log with this new version? Sorry for the noob question :eek:...i have problem with my mediacom tablet, and i want to send you a log ;)

Inviato dal mio LG-P990 con Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

stargate125645

Sep 25, 2012
Omaha, NE
Have you contacted any developers for the US Galaxy S3 phones? It seems to work much better for me now, but did freeze when I got a text message. It does not like data connections when running.

Edit: Never mind. It was just a coincidence that it froze when a text appeared. Looks like it still has the same freezing issues. The voltage cut method doesn't work at all, but that seems to have been the best option at one point.

Last edited:

keeper22

Dec 1, 2008
Edit: Never mind. It was just a coincidence that it froze when a text appeared. Looks like it still has the same freezing issues. The voltage cut method doesn't work at all, but that seems to have been the best option at one point.

I am seeing the same behavior on US GS3 AT&T- the cut voltage method was working but is no longer working.

Old faithful

Dec 31, 2008
Wentworth-Nord
Thanks for your kind help!

Im sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Thank you for your kind reply :). It is aggravating to get things working out sometimes, and as time becomes a more precious commodity, patience becomes scarce as well. Don't take it personally, I do appreciate your work :)

I was looking for a way to shut the screen off while I'm measuring RF data and as you probably know, android needs the screen ON at all times for these apps too work. The app I am using is RF Signal Tracker.

The digitizer is not disabled by default, so you should still able to tutn off the app.
I implemented the screen on / off using the power button already.

Indeed, but because of the lock-ups I am avoiding this feature as it may shut off the app running in the background, so I am using the shake feature and the one-two method instead.

Now, I've reinstalled the app and notice there are TWO "one-two" methods. I had both checked previously, the one on the main screen and the one in "advanced". I was a bit confused by these two different things, so I unchecked the one in advanced, and now I don't need to go into the notification screen to get the screen "off" again. Maybe that is what was causing the lockup. Hmmm! I've activate debugging, we'll see how it goes from here.

And if you look back, you may need to turn on "Disable HW Overlay" for the app to successfully work with Samsung's AMOLED-screen devices like your note 2. Lots of Note 2 users report my app work with their devices.
If you encounter a problem, please post a log or I can't help, really. Actually, having to support devices while not having those is very hard, please understand for me.

Android playing music with screen off is different from my app architecture. Music ppayer is a service that is designed to work while the screen is truly turned off while my app intent to help services (like map/navigator/hdmi streamer/etc) that don't have that ability to be able to continue their operations while the screen is off.

And about the complexity of the app... Well, I need to update the app with features. It brings new functionality and usability to the little piece of scripts (seriously, I still try my best to improve the core screen off methods but nothing much can be done now). Without added features and updates, my app would have been forgotten and buried somewhere deep in XDA forum. Please understand this. It is also a very fun process that everyone can help participate in.

Thanks for your input and your answers. It helps a lot understanding the process behind this app. And please believe me that I sincerely appreciate all the work you have been putting into this. We need a foolproof method for turning amoled screens off independently of putting our devices to sleep and your app is the only one that can do it so far. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: nkahoang

tomalony

Dec 18, 2010
when i try to play 1080P video on my xiaomi mi2 i get a blue screen & the sound of the video, when i turn the phone screen back on everything is working fine. any solution ?

nkahoang

Jan 23, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
www.nkahnt.com
when i try to play 1080P video on my xiaomi mi2 i get a blue screen & the sound of the video, when i turn the phone screen back on everything is working fine. any solution ?

Two solutions:
1) If you are running JB : Go to Android's Settings -> Developer Options -> Tick on Disable HW Overlay
or
2) If you are not on JB, Go to my app's settings -> Screen off Methods -> Disable 'Persistent Blank Frame'

Can you also gives me a log?

------------------------------
In latest 2.0 alpha builds, printing the log is done as Go to menu (or click on the three dot [. . .] button) -> Print debug info

tomalony

Dec 18, 2010
Two solutions:
1) If you are running JB : Go to Android's Settings -> Developer Options -> Tick on Disable HW Overlay
or
2) If you are not on JB, Go to my app's settings -> Screen off Methods -> Disable 'Persistent Blank Frame'

Can you also gives me a log?

------------------------------
In latest 2.0 alpha builds, printing the log is done as Go to menu (or click on the three dot [. . .] button) -> Print debug info

Hi, i'l get the log later on today when i get home.

the blue screen apears with the Disable HW ticked on, when its ticked off it shows the video but i get a flickering screen (on youtube too)

nkahoang

Jan 23, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
www.nkahnt.com
Re: [APP/09 FEB/2.0+]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0α3]-Screen off while keeping device ac

Have you tried disabling Persistent blank frame from my app's settings?

Sent from Motorola DynaTAC with true 12-digit LED displays and 13-number memory and 8 hours of screen on. Jealous, huh?

monkeydrufy

Jun 12, 2010
Hi guys,

Any way to use this program with the all share cast dongle samsung?

I'm trying almost everythink but it doens't turn off the screen, once it worked but after few second it freeze and I had to restart the dongle

thanks

napsterr

Jan 2, 2011
Zile
AW: [APP/09 FEB/2.0+]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0α3]-Screen off while keeping device ac

hi...

first pls excue me if it was mentioned before... i did not read the hole thread...

the app has a lot of setting for HDMI detection... app detection and so on...

but for me and maybe for others too it might not work properly because a lot of apps
are turning the screen ON when started.

so i always have to launch screenstandby again and turn off the screen.
or open the notifications and turn screen off again.

and this for every app i start... browsers, XDA-App, games, whatsapp and a lot of other apps too.

the solution for APP detection works... but i have to remove the apps from the list when my phone is not connected to the lapdock....

MY IDEA:

maybe the dev could merge APP DETECTION with HDMI DETECTION.

so i could have a list of apps wich turn off the screen but just when HDMI / DOCK is connected.
and i dont have to clear the list when my phone is not connected with my Lapdock....

Sent from my MB860 CONNECTED with LAPDOCK using xda app-developers app

vel_tins

Jun 23, 2007
Bangkok
Where is the .log file?

Where is the log file?
Screen standby 2.0 alpha3
Onda V972 - Allwinner A31
App doesn't work, neither root or non-rooted method.
Debugging setting:
attachment.php

But I am not able to locate the log file...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-01-09-10-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-01-09-10-32.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,467

fujisvet

Mar 1, 2013
Hi I thank you very much for this application !!:good::good:

I use on Galaxy S 3, all functions are alright, but I must allow HW Overlay.

After second thank you !!

Last edited:

drbiggy

Jan 27, 2013
has anyone tried this with something like webkey?
so basicly having remote accsess to the phone (to use whatsapp for example) via wifi or usb without the display on?

nkahoang

Jan 23, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
www.nkahnt.com
Remote Controller feature public review

has anyone tried this with something like webkey?
so basicly having remote accsess to the phone (to use whatsapp for example) via wifi or usb without the display on?

yep i use it with vmlite for that

You won't need webkey and vmlite soon because:

New development build:

Screen Standby ♯ Root - Alpha 8
Remote Controller Feature - Public Review
remoteBanner_zps56ef2600.png

With the new Remote Controller features, you can connect a HDMI-enabled device to your TV, sit back and control almost everything from your other Android Device.

Instructions:
- Install Screen Standby Alpha 8 on both devices
- On one device, select Remote Controller -> I'm the Receiver
- On one device, select Remote Controller -> I'm the Controller

On Controller device, wait for the receiver to be discovered, click on the name of Receiver and that's it !!
You can navigate to any app while using the Remote Control feature. The remote controller will run in background. Simply click on icon on status bar and you are back in control.

-----

Remote Control Features:
Auto detection - Zero network configuration needed
- Connect both devices to same wifi-network and the app will automatically recognize the receiver.
Remoting features:
- Screen Standby's Signature feature: Turn remote device’s screen off / on while not putting the device into sleep
- Four navigation keys
- Launch app on remote device
- Remote soft-key (back, home, recent app, menu, search)
- Send text input remotely
- Volume up / down / mute
- Standard media controller (Play / Pause / Next / Previous / etc)

Upcoming: Remote Mouse: Use the controller as a mouse trackpad to fully navigate on the remote device!

----

Also in this version:
- Better support for Nexus 4
- Save / send log is moved into Debugging settings
- Big and small bugs fixed

----

Please send me feedbacks / bug reports and suggestion!!

keyra74

Aug 6, 2009
installing beta 8 :)
ok still the same thing for me, it works fine on my nexus 4 but i have to set zero brightness + persistant blank frame so it doesn't wake up after 10 sec

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [APP/OPEN SOURCE]Screen Standby ♯ Root [2.0]-Screen off while keeping device active

SCREEN STANDBY ♯ ROOT 2.0
    TURN OFF SCREEN AND AVOID OVERHEATING PROBLEM FROM PROLONGED STREAMING/GAMING OVER HDMI / MHL | DOWNLOADING DATA OVER WIFI
    SAVE YOUR SCREEN AND BATTERY WHILE PHONE IS STILL RUNNING!
    OPEN SOURCE!
    AUTO SCREEN OFF / ON WITH HDMI CONNECTION / DISCONNECTION

Git Repo: https://github.com/nkahoang/screenstandby

promonew_xda_zpsbfbcbdd2.png

Remote Controller Feature - Public Review
    remoteBanner_zps56ef2600.png

Setting Wizard
    settingwizard_zps62df3a35.png

Search Plugin
    searchplugin_zpsc15ab8ca.png

Selectable UI
    toggleui_zpsa8d122ab.png

Outgoing call automator
    automator_zpse7d250b0.png

TURN YOUR SCREEN INTO TOUCHPAD, NO NEED FOR BUYING AN EXTERNAL MOUSE!​
    REMOTE CONTROLLER FEATURE!​
    SCREEN STANDBY IS NOW LIVE ON GOOGLE PLAY STORE!
    The app is published under the name "Screen Standby ♯ Root"

INTRODUCTION
    Hi everyone,
    This is originally for HTC One X, however, I have ported it to the Galaxy Nexus and now it could work on all devices! (Galaxy S3 / Moto Razr / etc). "Screen Standby" will completely turn off the backlight while keeping the phone running for MHL / HDMI streaming|gaming. That means you can now watch movie / play games on big screen and can still turn off the screen (touch screen still works!).

ROOT REQUIRED (Non-root method also available but not as effective & battery saving as root)

FEATURES
    - Switch off the screen temporarily without actually putting the phone into 'sleep mode'. The phone is still running! It saves your battery, avoids heating to prolong battery life
    - Since 1.96, screen can be optionally turned into touchpad!
    - It has a nice little widget that let you quickly turn the screen off from your homescreen
    - Since version 1.5 beta 2, shaking your device will temporarily toggle between complete screen off and lowest brightness level (so that you can perform quick action without playing a blind guessing game)
    - Non-root method now available with 1.98 Beta 7
    - One two dimmer: Turn off screen automatically after an idling time (no user interaction)
    - Simple interface

WHY?

This little app will temporarily turn off screen backlight, however, unlike putting the phone to sleep, the phone is kept running. It is perfect for keeping the phone from heating from prolonged HDMI streaming over Medialink HD or MHL connection (the screen is off yet image/movie/games continue to be streamed) / or wifi data downloading, etc.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

It attempts to perform various actions (cutting screen voltage / brightness / light switch / writing a blank image to frame buffer, etc)
    (Since 1.5, the voltage method is temporarily disabled)
    For some devices, the screen may shutter a bit if Automatic Brightness is turned on. However, the app will automatically detect it and put the backlight into sleep again. So if you want to avoid the problem, set Automatic Brightness to false.. Since 1.7, enable auto brightness handling in app setting helps preventing this flickering

HOW TO TURN ON THE SCREEN AGAIN?
    + Click on the app notification on your status bar (since version 1.3) or
    + Simply put the phone into true sleep (short press power button) then turn it on (power button again)
    + Temporarily lid the light a bit by shaking the device (since 1.5b2, enable it in Menu -> Settings)
    + If you can't turn on using any of the above methods, press emergency button (in main app interface) to turn on / or use 2 by 1 widget

SCREENSHOTS (Updated for version v1.97)

ss001_resized_zps6e8366ab.jpg
    ss002_resized_zps69f173f3.jpg
    ss003_resized_zpse4c7e153.jpg

Installation
    Install as normal apk :) No big deal
    Remember, install and use as your own risk, even though I can't think of any damage this little app can cause to your phone

Changelogs:
    ßeta 2 Changelog:
    Add toggable UI: Metro and Android Dark Holo (in Settings -> Extra)
    New feature: Outgoing call automator !

First ßeta Changelog:
    - New! Setting Wizard to help user quickly and easily set up Screen Standby. Simply select your known-supported device (the list is expanding!
    Please help me) and your use-case (Streaming movie / Playing ingress / Playing Youtube etc) and the wizard will automatically select the optimised preset for you!
    - New! Screen Standby Search Plugin to help automate Screen Standby from Search key (long press search hardware-key or softkey) or Google Now gesture (swipe up from Home softkey on Jellybean device). The plugin can now open Screen Standby interface, activate / deactivate / toggle screen off or launch Remote Controller
    - Added better Root & BusyBox checker and helper
    - Added new Tasker intent to control screen standby:
    com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.TOGGLE : to toggle screen on and off automatically
    com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.REMOTE_CONTROL: to launch Remote Control from tasker
    - Added new option to broadcast an intent to Tasker when HDMI is detected (go to my app's settings -> HDMI Detection -> Enable broadcast on HDMI Connection/Disconnection. Specify intent action (case-sensitive) for each case. Go to tasker, add New System Event -> Intent Received, type exactly the action intent you provided in Screen Standby). The best part is, HDMI Intent can also be broadcast without activating Screen Standby (yeah, so you can use SS as a HDMI sensor for tasker)
    - Added ability to use Remote Controller with Wifi-Direct (if a warning message is shown, just click 'Continue Anyway')
    Optimizations:
    - Continued optimisation for Nexus 4
    - Added wake-lock to One Two Dimmer
    - Slightly tuned sensors

From user report:
    Normally, with the same amount of time watching movie, battery drain drops from 30% down to just 2%!!!!!!!!!!!

Please report bugs / feedbacks / suggestions.
    To help me solving your issue faster, since version 1.31, you may want to open the app, hit "Menu" key -> Print debug info. It will then generates a log file containing the required information. Please send that file over pm to me. Thank you

Special thanks to:
    - ppmeis (helps with S2, now S3 / Transformer and lots of other stuffs)
    - winsettr (helps with Galaxy Nexus compatibility and constant reports)
    - mnsk (helps with his Sony and Iconia)
    - cocatriz (helps with S2)
    - TheDarkLux (helps with Galaxy S3)
    - evilmtv (helps with problems on GB devices)

Coffee buyers:
    Styles Vancleave
    - agronick from AppRadio / ARLiberator forum
    - jjwatmyself (and also thanks for his mention of my app on his thread)
    - jdbaldi
    - jhanson
    - MichaelMotes
    Youtube clip:
    - Doctor.Krouch

Tutorial: Setup app to work with tasker / Llama
    Follow the instruction of this post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33073452&postcount=92 (Tasker)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33073452&postcount=565 (Llama, thank Buzzthebuzzsaw)

DOWNLOAD
    Stable version of app can be downloaded in attachments section on through Google Play Store. In addition, this thread will receive beta / experimental build in the future.

Archived build (1.1 to 1.96) can be downloaded from here
    [Tutorial] Making Screen Standby works with Tasker

This tutorial will help you setup tasker to automatically turn off / on screen based on your defined profiles.

Step 1. Download and install my app (only works with version 1.5 and above), then open Tasker, of course
    Step 2. Switch to Tasks tab, click on the Add button (plus icon)
    Step 3. Type "Screen off" as Name or up to you /* creating action to enable my app to turn off the screen */
    Step 4. Click on the Add action button (plus icon)
    Step 5. Select Misc -> Send Intent
    Step 6. In the action box, type in com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.ENABLE
    (case sensitive)
    Step 7. Click on OK (check icon button)

Step 8. Add another task
    Step 9. Type "Screen on" as Name or up to you /* creating action to disable the app to turn the screen on again */
    Step 10. Click on the Add action button
    Step 11. Select Misc -> Send Intent
    Step 12. In the action box, type in com.nkahoang.screenstandby.action.DISABLE
    (case sensitive)
    Step 13. Click on OK (check icon button)

Step 14 (Optional). Go to Screen Standby -> Menu -> Settings and set all the options you want the app to behave like

Now you can add action "Screen off" and "Screen on" in your Tasker profile. Have fun!
    Screen Standby is now OPEN SOURCE

Hi everyone, sorry for the long long response. Many things happened and I'm extremely sorry for any issues and lack of my feedback.

Today, I finally have some free time and open sourced Screen Standby to everyone under GNU GPL v2 license

Every developer will be able to access the codebase of the app for the first time (with screen off, remoting, HDMI, everything!) and contribute directly to it. I would like to apologize for being late in open sourcing the app. I recognise my biggest problem was the ambitious of making the app compatible with all devices, which did prove that it is an impossible task. Screen Standby is too hardware specific and I, myself cannot maintain it to work on all devices.

The app should be able to compatible with 4.4 devices (4.3 device please wait for an update to 4.4)

Github repository is at the following URL:
    https://github.com/nkahoang/screenstandby

If the app is not working on your devices, please ask your device developer to contribute in the app project. I, myself, will contribute in the following devices:
    - Google Nexus 4 (4.0+)
    - Google Nexus 5 (4.4+)
    - Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 (4.4+, which is broken as I dropped it after having it for about 1 month... )

Cheers and glory to Open Source community
    promo_xda_newyear_zps97da5785.png

New year Release: 1.99 R2
    - Add new feature: "Auto app detection". If enabled, this feature will turn off screen when the selected app is launched (Youtube, Ingress, MX Player, etc) and screen will be turned on again if none of the selected app is active. Select up to 4 apps, disabled by default.
    - Much much better One Two Dim. The handler is completely rewritten and should be more stable and battery friendly
    - Attempt to fix Nexus 10 bugs
    - Squash some small bugs

I would like to thank you to Styles Vancleave with his very generous donation that is enough to buy me more than a year worth of daily coffee. It greatly helps further development of this app. Thanks again!
    Everyone, I would like to make an announcement
    fanfare.play();

SCREEN STANDBY IS NOW LIVE ON GOOGLE PLAY STORE!
    The app is published under the name "Screen Standby ♯ Root" with version v1.75 (also updated on this thread), which has the following changelogs:

- New icon !!!
    - Proximity sensor (experimental, please test for me! )
    - Even better stability & faster off time
    - I also implemented an ads banner with this (don't worry guy, there is an option in Settings to turn it off :highfive:.)

Both XDA Thread and Google Play will receive constant update from me (for those who don't use Google Service can download the app directly from this thread). Moreover, XDA Thread will receive more frequent update (like what I have been doing)

Please spend time checking it out and give me some reviews :p It would encourage me a lot in further development of the app.

--------------------

One more thing, as I mentioned, my MHL adapter is broken. So can anyone with MHL adapter make a short Youtube demonstration clip for this little app so that I could add it to the Google Play page? I would be very very grateful.

Once again, I would like to express my deepest appreciation to everyone for helping me. Without you, this app is still a lost orphan thread sinking down somewhere in XDA.

CHEERS!