(WIP) [$1400+ BOUNTY] Port T-Mobile WiFi Calling for Nexus 4

Search This thread

Ohgami_Ichiro

Jun 18, 2010
Tacoma
Is it easier on that phone than the nexus 4 to port it?

The difference is using existing files for the SGS3 and using them on a different ROM for the same phone. There's less variables involved. Where as on the N4 we have to cross port files from a device that has similar hardware from a different manufacturer with a different UI and Android version. Either way the goal is getting it to work on any phone. Once we can get what is needed to work then the rest just falls into place.

joshua.justice

Feb 12, 2011
Cincinnati
The difference is using existing files for the SGS3 and using them on a different ROM for the same phone. There's less variables involved. Where as on the N4 we have to cross port files from a device that has similar hardware from a different manufacturer with a different UI and Android version. Either way the goal is getting it to work on any phone. Once we can get what is needed to work then the rest just falls into place.

That makes sense though because helping porting it to a rom for a phone that already has it cuts out quite a few of those variables.

Reactions: monkeybox

persheshhater

Jan 12, 2013
Re: [BOUNTY] ($1190+) T-Mobile WiFi Calling for Nexus 4 mako

Anybody wants to bet that this wont work at least until new nexus is announced?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

md1008

Dec 9, 2011

My mom has N4 and gets crappy reception at her house. Put me down for $5 which isn't much but that's all I can afford.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: liquidnails

timskyline86

Oct 19, 2010
I'm assuming since the S4 is coming to Tmobile (IIRC in April) it will have Wifi-Calling baked in and it will be running 4.2.2. Hopefully that will have something in there if the S3 route doesn't work.

Whosdaman

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida

WiFi Calling for the Nexus 4 isn't a matter of if it'll come, its when will the revised IMS coding be available. Hopefully the the S3 4G LTE or the S4 hit the shelves at T-Mobile very soon. Samsung said end of April for S4...but that's probably only true for the international variant.

alleyezondisromo

Mar 23, 2007
Newport Beach, Ca

I'm actually beta testing the s3 lte

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

I should be receiving it by next week .. If you guys tell me how to do a system dump I may be able to help

Reactions: Ohgami_Ichiro

Ohgami_Ichiro

Jun 18, 2010
Tacoma
My update:

I have the new screen for my N4 on it's way and should have it in a few days. Once that happens I'll be workin like crazy.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

I'm actually beta testing the s3 lte

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

I should be receiving it by next week .. If you guys tell me how to do a system dump I may be able to help

I would assume it'll be the same way as the Regular SGS3 to Root it. So from there you can grab what ever directory you want. When you have it I can tell what Files I'll need to start with.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is this about?

The Nexus 4 launched without WiFi Calling support for T-Mobile USA customers. I'm starting this bounty to encourage people to port this feature to the Nexus 4. It has been done in the past, and there are even claims that the N4 was being tested with WiFi Calling support before launch.

For more read this: http://t-mobile-coverage.t-mobile.com/4g-wireless-broadband-service?uid=Coverage_3

Why should you care about this?

WiFi Calling will give all T-Mobile USA customers who use the Nexus 4 the ability to use their T-Mobile phone number to make/receive calls and text messages over an active WiFi network. As well, post-paid T-Mobile customers could avoid using their minutes, if they are on a limited or pooling plan, while using WiFi Calling. Customers need to ensure they have the "Free WiFi Calling" SOC attached to their line and a valid 911 address on file. The 911 address requirement also applies to pre-paid T-Mobile USA customers.

How can you help?

Simply reply to this thread showing your support to have this awesome feature ported to the Nexus 4. Optionally, you can let us know how much you personally would be willing to put up to see T-Mobile WiFi Calling come to the Nexus 4. Personally, I am staking $50 for this feature; however, you can stake any amount you wish, or absolutely none at all. You being here and reading this is good enough for me. But if it is at all possible, please at least reply to this thread. The more exposure it gets, the better our chances our of getting it accomplished!

Presently, the bounty is valued at $1400. The value of the bounty changes frequently as more people enlist their support towards the completion of this project. So, please consider helping out the entire community by showing your support in this thread. Even if it doesn't affect you at all, there is a vast amount of people looking forward to using this feature as soon as possible.

Thank you!
    - Korey N.
    Just did my 1st Test with the SGS4 files. It looks like Something happened. I got no popup for WiFi Calling but it did do the "Updating Apps" thing when I rebooted.
    The App is larger than the other ones and it looks like it has more items in it which are for the buttons. This COULD mean that they are trying to make this more encapsulated but there are still things that need to be included.

I'm gonna try a few more files and see if I get anywhere.

I got a good DL finally. Gonna probably make a Test on Thursday. Today is pretty packed for me sadly. I was hoping that they would have made it more compact but seems like it's the same setup as the L9/SGS3/GN2 but the plus is that the files are actually made for this version of android. Just hope the TouchmeWhiz Crap doesn't impede me...But I'm sure it will have some effect. :/
    I am going to need to take apart the APK as well as the other linking APKs. For certain the SGS4 Wifi Calling APK needs to be altered but shouldn't be too tough.
    Kinda Working now

I think I have this working now. I've hacked some items from the LG G2 system dump into my N4 and it seems to be working here at work. I have no bars here ever and cannot ever make a call.

After modding, signing, logging, changing permissions, deodexing, etc., etc. for the billionth time I called it quits and went to bed last night. I would at this point usually do a restore to my phone so I don't have any unforeseen issues the next day. I didn't and my wife called me and my phone rang. I was surprised as her when I picked up and could actually hear someone on the other end. She fully expected it to go to voicemail. She asked me with a guilty tone if i was at work because not only could I talk to her but I was crystal clear!. I've been able to make make calls and receive them all day and have no more than 1 bar showing and usually none at all. I am however still registered to T-mobiles network and if I put on airplane mode, it doesn't work at all. I have also verified it will not call out without me being connected to my office wifi. So it is indeed making calls over the wifi network. I've been working all day and don't have anytime to look at "why" it is working. I did what I have done a 100 times before and threw modified apps at it and hoped it would work. I've done this so many times that I don't remember what I did yesterday and in what sequence. The other thing is that menus have not changed. Meaning I cannot select to turn on wifi calling as you would on a normal G2. Other than getting the wifi calling app, certs, drm, etc. installed and changing some file locations/permissions I'm not sure exactly what I did differently this time.

My setup is

N4 of course
    stock rooted 4.4.2 KOT49H
    stock kernel
    stock bootloader
    stock radio (newest and not a hybrid)

So full stock rooted with a sprinkling of LGG2 goodness and it seems to be semi working. I won't go on about "THIS IS SOLVED AND GIMME THE MONEY BRAH!!!". Mostly because its only semi working.

Problems I see here:

• There is no clear indicator that it's enabled/disabled and people would have a hard time using this way. The icon files copied over fine but there must be dependencies that they are mad about.
    • It has futzed my usb connection to a pc. Charging is fine from a charging usb cable but the PC randomly disconnects from USB and then reconnects as though it just found the device. This happens every 3-4 minutes.
    • According to log glances, Android isn't happy with me and is killing/ignoring/work arounding (my phrase) quite a few things.
    • I had big issues with qcrilmsgtunnel and couldn't get it to properly install. I have a feeling we need this for wifi sms because while I could make calls today just fine, my sms messeges would not send. They gave me the "ill send when you have service error". I would then proceed to call someone with crystal clear sound quality and laugh at the red message triangle.

I'm going to look into this some more tonight and I'll keep you guys updated. I'm originally from Missouri (thank god I'm in Silicon Valley now) which has a state motto of "the show me state" because we have a hard time believing without seeing. As someone who has been working on AOSP wifi calling for almost a year, I wouldn't blame you if you needed proof of this. I can video it making a call while the signal bar says 1 to nil bars and I'll even record the audio. It'll have to be from my workplace though because I have full service at home. I'm not holding back anything from you guys in terms of what I did or code but I do want to replicate it again from a clean nandroid and I'll post the steps then. This is NOT complete wifi calling for AOSP or T-mobile but it is the furthest I've gotten so far. :highfive: