Difficult to develop for GS4?

Search This thread

howtomen

Jan 10, 2011
Brea CA
Yeah, I guess that's just for exynos based galaxy devices. My US S2 Variant has several 4.2.2 aosp roms. Aokp, cm10.1, pac, slim, rootbox etc. I assume the USA s4 will be similar.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Yes this is well known because qualcomm releases all the info required

trolol and awayyy!! Expect typos this is my phone.

Codrea

May 22, 2012
I think it'll make AOSP (CM/AOKP) hard to develop but there super people! I'm sure they'll figure it out and help!
However Touchwiz ROM's could be pulled and edited! We won't lose any features/it won't be hard.

Nope better surrender now no matter how good developers, if samsung doesn't release source code there is no way to make a good rom.

I am s2 user and as mentioned in page one this is living hell from samsung. Cm 10.1 made by codeworkx still not stable till now.They force people to upgrade their phone. Like hell I'll do that to buy samsul again

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

lynxboy

Oct 7, 2009
Leeds
The Exynos Octa is going to be an absolute deal breaker in terms of full AOSP support. The core architecture with it's firmware controlled CPU handover is where the problems will lie. No way are Samsung going to release the relevant documentation given their history and the unique capabilities of this SOC. While AOSP code will ultimately make it onto the device, expect a broken implementation of it.

Still. I never fully understood the major hate towards Samsung in regards to AOSP ROMs. Never have Samsung advertised the Galaxy S range as AOSP devices or AOSP friendly devices. You are ultimately hacking the device beyond it's advertised capabilities. You should be thankful they don't force you to legally sign away your warranty like HTC/Sony just so you can flash a ROM. I loved my S2, but ultimately missed the AOSP experience I had on my Nexus One and returned to Nexus range in the way of the Galaxy Nexus, a Samsung device, advertised and promoted as an AOSP device.

Regards.

AW: Difficult to develop for GS4?

For my part i think that devs will also Support the S4 with a lot of fine stuff. But as mentioned before Samsungs open source polity ends before all the Exynos Stuff. They broke every promise they make in this direction. So Custom Roms like CM will never support everything since Samsung did provide all the needed Infos about the Exynos Devices.
Because they are right now, before the official release min. two diff. models (I think there will also be a bunch of Provider based models also) its hard to say which one is most spreaded and will get the most support by the devs community. I guess it will not be the Exynos devices (they are delayed to Autumn).
Regards

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

tbong777

I think GS4 & Note3 development will be pretty similar to GS2, Note, GS3 and Note2.

AFAIK, for example, the AOSP based ROMs don't really support the S-Pen on the Notes, but that's more app specific.

Cameras have long been, and will likely continue to be a problem. Video capture rates may be lower, features like both cameras, sound in pictures, smart scroll may not be supportable.

There are a lot of hardware driver oriented Drivers that may not work as Samsung includes more and more hardware related features.. Apparently Samsung does not release driver code.
All these feature unusable for the sake of a vanilla ROM. I don't get it. I tried CM ROMS and this didn't work and that didn't work, all to get rids of a launcher and useless Samsung apps I could delete in Root Explorer?

Why not just delete all Samsung Apps and try different launchers. Personally I don;t find my stock Nexus launcher all that My Note 2 and Nexus are visually carbon copies of Nova down to the widgets, The brands could be the same.

The only development issue I see is with ASOP/AKOP development and that is a very small community within a larger community of developers who hack TW well enough to have a good following across platforms.

Some people are flashaholics and love flashing nightlies, I flash one ROM and live with it for weeks and sometimes skip updates if the change log does not apply to my needs. I would not worry about development as long as I don;t have to dig into ADB and Hemingdal and ODIN are around.

Is there an easier device to root? I don't know.

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Yeah, I guess that's just for exynos based galaxy devices. My US S2 Variant has several 4.2.2 aosp roms. Aokp, cm10.1, pac, slim, rootbox etc. I assume the USA s4 will be similar.

A bonus is that there are many popular high end devices this year with Qualcomm architectures, so plenty of info from other device devs should be available.

INCLUDING, the oh so important Nexus device, the very popular Nexus 4.

Between that and the Samsung S4 popularity factor, I expect there should be plenty of ROMs coming for the Qualcomm S4.

But Exynos should do fine too, for no other reason than popularity.

XpLoDWilD

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2009
France
www.xplod.fr
Nobody at team hacksung (the team behind galaxy s2, note, s3, note2, gtabs... official CM ports) plans to buy it, neither develop for it. There are two variants which will be a pain to maintain, the bugs we have on the s3 will probably be there on s4 too (camera), and we all know Samsung ability to release sources while staying in line with mainline. Yes qualcomm release sources, but exynos sources we had were far from actual galaxy products. I'm pretty sure the same will happen for this one.

That's a uniform "no" from us (hacksung).

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. There has been a huge flood of messages around the web about the support of CM and the SGS4. What I wrote above is JUST from my/hacksung opinion. CyanogenMod is a big organization with hundreds of contributors around the world. Even if me/codeworkx/entropy/... won't develop for it, other people can go ahead and do it. It's not the CyanogenMod project that decided that 'no' I expressed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
Nobody at team hacksung (the team behind galaxy s2, note, s3, note2, gtabs... official CM ports) plans to buy it, neither develop for it. There are two variants which will be a pain to maintain, the bugs we have on the s3 will probably be there on s4 too (camera), and we all know Samsung ability to release sources while staying in line with mainline. Yes qualcomm release sources, but exynos sources we had were far from actual galaxy products. I'm pretty sure the same will happen for this one.

That's a uniform "no" from us.

So no CM for S4. Ouch. I really suggest those looking for vibrant development community to look at other manufacturers like Sony.

djbenny1

Apr 9, 2011
Most experienced developers are leaving Samsung for manufacturers that don't treat them like **** (see the Superbrick fiasco), leaving only the "me-too" smali-hack-kangs and a very small number of experienced competent developers like Andrei.

Quality, not quantity - most of the stuff in the I9100 and I9300 forums is crap, people who took a Touchwizz base, themed it, made some build.prop hacks, and called it a whole new firmware package. They're lucky in that Touchwizz is so bad that it's easy to improve upon it.

Compare to, for example, the Xperia T where there are 5-10 or more developers all contributing as a team to something that only has two threads (One for CM10, one for CM10.1) There aren't many people working with Sony stock firmwares because, honestly, it's REALLY hard to improve upon them because they're so good to begin with. Most of the few things that can be improved are achievable with simple TiBu freezes, no smali hacking required.
wow, didnt realise the gs3 situation was this bad

muhamet

Feb 8, 2011
Skopje
Why you need AOSP when Samsung updated is bether then any other and haw great suport??Look Htc one x its 4.1.1 and realeased before SGS3.Htc one 4.1.2 and SGS4 4.2.2.If you need Aosp you haw nexus and poor look

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda app-developers app

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
Why you need AOSP when Samsung updated is bether then any other and haw great suport??Look Htc one x its 4.1.1 and realeased before SGS3.Htc one 4.1.2 and SGS4 4.2.2.If you need Aosp you haw nexus and poor look

You're naïve.
Samsung releases updates faster than AOSP? HAHAHHAHAAA ROFL.
AOSP = Pure Android = Google = In Charge of Android

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
Some of the posts here are quite funny to read. Had a galaxy s2 and yes it was the best phone I ever had but I remember the crap that the team had to put up with. I don't blame them for not going for the s4.

As for some of the posts saying that Sammy provides better updates than the actual aosp you made me spit my tea out from laughing.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

muhamet

Feb 8, 2011
Skopje
You're naïve.

Reed (HTC) or other Android phones.After Nexus Sgs always 1 update.Aosp like Aosp is poor.SGS 4 Camera blows Aosp Camera,why you need Aosp when you haw suport from Samsung.And you haw beast like Sgs4.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Some of the posts here are quite funny to read. Had a galaxy s2 and yes it was the best phone I ever had but I remember the crap that the team had to put up with. I don't blame them for not going for the s4.

As for some of the posts saying that Sammy provides better updates than the actual aosp you made me spit my tea out from laughing.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Samsung give SGS2 t CM team for devolpment.And you are saying that is nhot help from Samsung???You know that Samsung update its best (after nexus) device.

Livebyte

Jul 14, 2012
Reed (HTC) or other Android phones.After Nexus Sgs always 1 update.Aosp like Aosp is poor.SGS 4 Camera blows Aosp Camera,why you need Aosp when you haw suport from Samsung.And you haw beast like Sgs4.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Samsung give SGS2 t CM team for devolpment.And you are saying that is nhot help from Samsung???You know that Samsung update its best (after nexus) device.

They update fast because their update is also crap.
Its poor in quality and buggy at most

Free SGS2 to CM team was a publicity stunt.

Reactions: mw86

muhamet

Feb 8, 2011
Skopje

I dhont think so.Buy Nexus 4 and you will see crap.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Lets talk for TW devolpment:(!Omega,Alliance,Jkay,Dragon.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
The Exynos Octa is going to be an absolute deal breaker in terms of full AOSP support. The core architecture with it's firmware controlled CPU handover is where the problems will lie. No way are Samsung going to release the relevant documentation given their history and the unique capabilities of this SOC. While AOSP code will ultimately make it onto the device, expect a broken implementation of it.

Still. I never fully understood the major hate towards Samsung in regards to AOSP ROMs. Never have Samsung advertised the Galaxy S range as AOSP devices or AOSP friendly devices. You are ultimately hacking the device beyond it's advertised capabilities. You should be thankful they don't force you to legally sign away your warranty like HTC/Sony just so you can flash a ROM. I loved my S2, but ultimately missed the AOSP experience I had on my Nexus One and returned to Nexus range in the way of the Galaxy Nexus, a Samsung device, advertised and promoted as an AOSP device.

Regards.
They publicized their donation of three devices to the CM team VERY heavily.

They promised they were "working hard" on Superbrick, and threw a grenade in our faces with XWLPM a month later with no warning.

They promised to release updated platform reference source for Exynos4 - and regurgitated the same almost-a-year-out-of-date crap (it's now on the order of 1 year 3 months outdated) that was an issue in the first place. Their BABBQ promise was clearly just a stunt to sell more Note2 units.

They lie on a regular basis... They say they care about the community to sell more devices, but their actions are the exact opposite of their words.

Yup. The only manufacturer who has donated FEWER devices to CM maintainers than Samsung is HTC and maybe Motorola.

Jerpelea has more Sony devices than he has the time to support. (For various reasons, Sony asks that these donations don't get publicized too much). Arcee has received every LG device marketed in Europe to my knowledge (again, that's kept semi-quiet, partly because manufacturers don't want users to go out and buy a device then get disappointed if the CM bringup falters for whatever reason.)

tbong777

Do people really think This forum or website will determine Samsung's financial fate when releasing new devices?

Out of everyone I know who has a Samsung phone (and other brands) I am the only one who even has it rooted! My wife only has her SGS 2 rooted because I did it. Otherwise most users by a huge margin could not care less about "development". They love their devices stock and buy them in the millions. With or without ASOP AKOP CM or unlocked boot loaders. The devices are getting so good, even Stock ROM developers have a hard time selling their wares. But there will as always be decent stock ROM developers.

A few thousand phones are represented here against tens of millions sold. Samsung doesn't care whether CM is developed or not. They will sell millions. They have all but buried HTC and Sony.

Codrea

May 22, 2012
yiha :laugh: nice say buddy!!

I hope samsung go to bankrupt this year :D

samsung go fak yourself

H

hot_spare

yiha :laugh: nice say buddy!!

I hope samsung go to bankrupt this year :D

samsung go fak yourself

I don't understand why people get so emotional about a phone? Yes, there are some issues with Samsung and AOSP. Everyone knows that. So, some people are not going to develop because of this reason. Perfectly valid logic. If you are not satisfied with Samsung, go get some other phone. Nobody (I literally mean nobody) forced you to buy Samsung. And no court can hold Samsung responsible for not releasing certain proprietary information. There are not doing anything illegal here.

If you want AOSP, go get a nexus or a Sony. What I don't understand is you acting like a kid in the forums. My 6-yr old niece also doesn't act like that.

To make it clear to you, Samsung is not going to be bankrupt anytime soon.

Google is worried about Samsung's success. LG tried to get some attention during GS4 launch. Nokia releasing parody of Jeremy Maxwell commercial. HTC's CMO is literally is trolling. Apple's Phill Schiller is shouting in every forum. And Apple releases a big page saying why iPhone is great. All because of a GS4 launch. Everybody is worried because Samsung found the formula to sell phones, and they are just getting better everyday. Samsung is going to live much longer, count on that.

You're naïve.

AOSP doesn't cure cancer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That's a uniform "no" from us (hacksung).

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. There has been a huge flood of messages around the web about the support of CM and the SGS4. What I wrote above is JUST from my/hacksung opinion. CyanogenMod is a big organization with hundreds of contributors around the world. Even if me/codeworkx/entropy/... won't develop for it, other people can go ahead and do it. It's not the CyanogenMod project that decided that 'no' I expressed.

Explain?

Sent from my s-off Rezound

Most experienced developers are leaving Samsung for manufacturers that don't treat them like **** (see the Superbrick fiasco), leaving only the "me-too" smali-hack-kangs and a very small number of experienced competent developers like Andrei.

Quality, not quantity - most of the stuff in the I9100 and I9300 forums is crap, people who took a Touchwizz base, themed it, made some build.prop hacks, and called it a whole new firmware package. They're lucky in that Touchwizz is so bad that it's easy to improve upon it.

Compare to, for example, the Xperia T where there are 5-10 or more developers all contributing as a team to something that only has two threads (One for CM10, one for CM10.1) There aren't many people working with Sony stock firmwares because, honestly, it's REALLY hard to improve upon them because they're so good to begin with. Most of the few things that can be improved are achievable with simple TiBu freezes, no smali hacking required.

Regards.
    They publicized their donation of three devices to the CM team VERY heavily.

They promised they were "working hard" on Superbrick, and threw a grenade in our faces with XWLPM a month later with no warning.

They promised to release updated platform reference source for Exynos4 - and regurgitated the same almost-a-year-out-of-date crap (it's now on the order of 1 year 3 months outdated) that was an issue in the first place. Their BABBQ promise was clearly just a stunt to sell more Note2 units.

They lie on a regular basis... They say they care about the community to sell more devices, but their actions are the exact opposite of their words.

Yup. The only manufacturer who has donated FEWER devices to CM maintainers than Samsung is HTC and maybe Motorola.

Jerpelea has more Sony devices than he has the time to support. (For various reasons, Sony asks that these donations don't get publicized too much). Arcee has received every LG device marketed in Europe to my knowledge (again, that's kept semi-quiet, partly because manufacturers don't want users to go out and buy a device then get disappointed if the CM bringup falters for whatever reason.)
    Some of us have lived on Stock Rom development for years and actually prefer it over the always non working this and that on CM and CM based ROMS. The only device I owned/own that benefits from CM is the Nexus. Other than that I prefer EVERYTHING to work and not wait for some nightly and have to flash a new ROM every week.

Cyanogen had their day. Manufacturers are making them obsolete with the hardware features they don't willingly release driver code for. Why should they? They WANT SAMSUNG stuff on Samsung phones. Stock developers do a great job of giving us a choice of WHICH Samsung apps we want and those of us who use the Pen on the Note like having it work as well.

We get it. No CM ROM...Buy another brand, Samsung doesn't care, nor should they for the relative handful of their newer devices running CM Roms.

Let's say it's May. Android 5.0 came by in Google I/O.
    6 months later, you're still on 4.2.2 because Samsung still hasn't updated their phones and sources.
    Okay there might be AOSP-based ROMs a week later.
    But none of them is fully working because the drivers from 4.2.2 is no longer working in 5.0
    You're telling me you won't get mad?
    What if Google came out with some super cool feature.
    Last year was Project Butter & Google Now.
    You're still telling me you won't get mad?
    If you say Samsung don't care, why should we care about them then?
    We're XDA because we develop amazing custom ROMs, not some themed **** with extra apps preloaded together with some build.prop edits
    You guys do realise much of the work and bugfixes by CM are fed back to Samsung for improvement? Without the pool of highly talented developers to tinker with their product, there will be no talent to brainstorm with. Other than meaning Samsung doesn't care about the enthusiasts community, this also means Samsung doesn't care about the common user, because they are reluctant to hang on to the pool of talent they should work the most closely with for when fckups like the Brickbug occurs.
    Actually, we've tried to feed bugfixes back to Samsung for improvement, but they just sit and let things be broken for months on end. This is where a lot of our frustration comes from - we've tried as hard as we can to work WITH Samsung, and they treat their customers like crap. They absolutely refuse to take responsibility for any bug that gets discovered.

Look at the MAX17042 fuel_alerted wakelock bug - Discovered in October 2011, reported multiple times back to Samsung (and the fix was literally ONE CHARACTER, replacing an == with >= in a comparison), and it didn't get fixed until January 2013.

Compared to Sony, who have actively worked with developers here in terms of investigating bugs that are found. MANY of the issues we raised with ICS on the Xperia T were solved in Jellybean.

I got a question.

Is Steve Kondik a.k.a Cyanogen (founder of CyanogenMod) still working for Samsung?
    If so, I would like to know his toughts about the hate/love relationship of TeamHacksung with Samsung.

Enviado desde mi GT-N7100 usando Tapatalk 2
    He's working for Samsung USA... He pretty much stays out of it. He's in a very tough position due to working for Samsung... He's stuck between us and the Koreans.

There are a number of people at Samsung USA that care and want things to change, but upper management in Korea is 100% uncooperative.