[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

domi.nos

Jan 5, 2011
Warszawa
Guys, how can I make fastmode work? I have 1.2 NST, and cannot get it to work, nor NoRefresh. It is really annoying.

Those scripts, do not work in my case. (sh ones)

rdunning0823

Aug 3, 2012
Guys, how can I make fastmode work? I have 1.2 NST, and cannot get it to work, nor NoRefresh. It is really annoying.

Those scripts, do not work in my case. (sh ones)

If you haven't rooted the NST, here's one way:
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-touch-root.html

Then, you need to patch the kernel w/ Guevor's 174 or 176 kernel that can be downloaded here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35049488#post35049488

To patch your NST with Guevor's uimage:

adb push uImage /media
adb shell
mkdir /media/boot
mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /media/boot
cp /media/uImage /media/boot
umount /media/boot
rmdir /media/boot
rm /media/uImage

Then the scripts should work for fastmode. Or just type
Enter FastMode:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode
Exit FastMode:
echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode

Rob

yurchik92

Aug 25, 2011
To patch nook it must be loaded with noogie.img image or i can just plug working nook with debuging on?

can i you fast display all time? is it good for display such type as nook is? dont want to destroy it

Blue_Churo

Jul 18, 2011
This works PERFECTLY for the Nook Simpletouch Glowlight! I love you man!

The only thing I have a problem with is that the "toggle" app you made doesn't toggle it "on" for me. I just made a script to do that and put it on my homepage using scriptmanager. I don't care otherwise! :good:;)

gantenbein

Apr 17, 2009
nookmanager compatible - fastmode toggle script ?

Hello,

thanks for the great work ! Installed it and had pinch and zoom instantly - that's what I wanted.

A little history:
Rooted my NSTG with Glownooter. Worked great.
Then I looked around in the settings and touched one of the com.android.settings - the Nook reset itself to factory.
That was odd, but I had a backup and felt confident and tried Nookmanager. That worked great.
After that, looking for pinch and zoom and fastmode I found this thread.

I installed kernel #174 with the CWM-SD and pinch and zoom worked straight away.

Unfortunately no fast mode or norefresh is working yet, what ever I tried.

Hence my two questions:

A) Is this kernel compatible with Nookmanager or would fastmode interfere with the screen settings there ?
B) I read that the fastmode toggle may not work - so a stupid question. What the easiest method to execute the script to start it ?

Thanks so much, keep it up !

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań

A) Is this kernel compatible with Nookmanager or would fastmode interfere with the screen settings there ?

- Every kernel should work with NM.

B) I read that the fastmode toggle may not work - so a stupid question. What the easiest method to execute the script to start it ?

- There is a problem with running fast mode only in FW 1.2.0 and 1.2.1.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35362768&postcount=105

tldr :
1. install Gscript
2. download toggle.zip ; unzip it and place .sh file in /sdcard/gscript/
3. run Gscript ; add script from SD ; run it ; ??? ; profit

if you want to use NoRefresh install kernel v166 ; install the right apk for your FW. debug works for FW 1.2.x ,standard works for FW 1.1.x

https://github.com/marspeople/NoRefreshToggle/downloads

Read the thread before posting question. Answering to your question buries valuable posts and makes reading the entire thread harder for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: gantenbein

gantenbein

Apr 17, 2009
Mmh. I'm a bit shy now that I already wasted some of your time, but still I have one more question: Could I replace the 177 uImage with the 166 uImage in the install-kernel-174-modified.zip to install kernel 166 without the need of ADB, or is that naive ? Thanks.

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Mmh. I'm a bit shy now that I already wasted some of your time, but still I have one more question: Could I replace the 177 uImage with the 166 uImage in the install-kernel-174-modified.zip to install kernel 166 without the need of ADB, or is that naive ? Thanks.

I'm not sure at the moment.
According to this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1721680
replacing both 'uImage' & 'uRamdisk' should work.
If it's not that simple (for eg. the .zip file must be signed or new 'update-binary' must be generated) the CWM should complain that the .zip file is not valid and prohibit installation.
I'll check it on friday.

gantenbein

Apr 17, 2009
Thanks a lot. I will get my sisters Nook tomorrow. I first thought of starting to find a way of cloning Nooks, but now I will do this one manually and let you know if the 174 zip with the 166 kernel worked. I guess if I have a Nookmanager backup not much can go wrong.

EDIT: I tried to reinstall the package with the replaced uImage into my father's nook. (1.2.1 with Nookmanager and kernel 166) and it said "installation aborted", when I switch the signature check on it says signature check failed or the like.

Bad luck.

Last edited:

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Thanks a lot. I will get my sisters Nook tomorrow. I first thought of starting to find a way of cloning Nooks, but now I will do this one manually and let you know if the 174 zip with the 166 kernel worked. I guess if I have a Nookmanager backup not much can go wrong.

EDIT: I tried to reinstall the package with the replaced uImage into my father's nook. (1.2.1 with Nookmanager and kernel 166) and it said "installation aborted", when I switch the signature check on it says signature check failed or the like.

Bad luck.

OK... I just found
"install-kernel-166.zip"
on my hard drive.
I have no idea why it got removed from the first post. Maybe the link is posted somewhere else.
Anyway, download it from the attachment.

Attachments

• install-kernel-166.zip
    2 MB · Views: 994

gantenbein

Apr 17, 2009
Wow - thanks a lot. Big kiss. Saves me a lot of time, as I have to root a whole bunch of Nooks soon.
I just tried it with mine, as I wanted to update to 1.2.1 anyway.

Everything works perfect (OC kernel, multitouch, NoRefresh) - now this is the best reading device ever.

Last edited:

rdunning0823

Aug 3, 2012
Giving Rooted nook w/ 174 kernel to someone else

Has anyone been able to change the gmail account on a rooted nook and not break SearchMarket? The experience I've found is that the initial gmail account used in the rooting process can't be changed. If it is changed later, all appears to work, but when downloading apps from the market (via SearchMarket), a network error appears and the app fails to download. If the gmail account is changed back to the original gmail account used during the root, then I can download apps again. I am deleting the accounts.db on the nook to clear the gmail accounts which may be part of the problem. Has anyone discovered a way to root the nook and then be able to change the gmail and have the market (even SearchMarket) work?

(This is relevant to this thread because I'm later applying the fastmode patches to the kernel, although I guess there might be other threads more directly relevant.)

Rob

Last edited:

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
I'm really having trouble enabling Fast Display Mode. I've installed Kernel #174 through CWM.

I'm on FW 1.2.0 and I'm trying to follow the instructions below for these extra scripts but I don't know what to do.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35362768#post35362768

Please could someone give me a step by step guide on what needs to be done?

Thanks.

Once again ...

1. install Gscript
1.1 download apk
1.2 copy apk to msdcard
1.3 open the file using any file manager
2. unzip toggle.sh file and put it in /sdcard/gscript/ on your msdcard
2.1 run gscript
2.2 select load script from sd (or something like that)
2.3 run script

Where do you have a problem?

Last edited:

gulizi

Sep 22, 2009
toggle

gscript toggle fast mode is not good enough for me. I want to remap a button, physical or on screen to fast mode toggle, how do i do that?
The original fastmode.apk by guevor doesn't seem to do anything. He also says he use the read now button to toggle, how is that achieved?
Thanks for helping.

apap

Jan 31, 2003
You first need to rename the uImage.img to uImage
Then you need adb on your computer and be connected on the same net (computer and nook).
After that, you can use these instructions.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24168019&postcount=21

I hope it will be helpful

I just tried these instructions with adb wireless and commands seemed to go through. Now every so often my nook reboots and I get the message Install Failed. I used ulmage v1.66.

Any suggestions on why this is not working or what to do to properly install kernel?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Last edited:

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
gscript toggle fast mode is not good enough for me. I want to remap a button, physical or on screen to fast mode toggle, how do i do that?
The original fastmode.apk by guevor doesn't seem to do anything. He also says he use the read now button to toggle, how is that achieved?
Thanks for helping.

1. "button on screen" - you can install 'Legacy Launcher' and add Gscript script as a shortcut on your desktop.
2. If you wan't to add fastmode to 'quicknav' or assign it to a hardware button it needs to be embedded in an installed APK.
If you have the right knowledge, use 'Apktool' and change the original FastMode.apk.
Today I tried to do this but I have failed on signing a package. My personal certs are not valid (my lack of knowledge is showing). I'll try to play with it next week.

This might be useful for you if you will decide to do some dev work :

https://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/wiki/SharingScripts

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3054973/android-how-to-run-a-shell-command-from-within-code

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
edit :
Ok..I learned how to create a package, sign it and install properly. I still need to figure out howto to echo 1 to /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode;
using android apk. (I won't do it during this weekend, that's for sure). Any Dev want's to create simple apk using "sl4a" template project?
If anyone would provide such an apk I'd be able to happily return to my shell scripting.

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
New version of FastMode.apk written by me.
Works on FW 1.2.x.
No one else wanted to do this, so I have learned something new and created my first android apk.
You can thank me later.

Attachments

• FastMode2.apk.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 16,036
  • FastMode2_source.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,666
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because I suffer some problems in the vision, I bought a Nook Simple Touch to perform some of the functions performed with my asus transformer but with an electronic ink display. I must say I'm quite satisfied with its functionalty, but despite having to severely limit my hours in front of screens, I could not resist to modify the kernel.

The kernel adds frequencies of 1GHz and 1.1GHz, besides being modified to compile using gcc 4.7 from Linaro. I've also changed some compilation options.
    The kernel includes the modifications for multitouch.

Attached the patch for the original source code 1.1 and my build.
    Don't forget to rename the uImage.img to uImage (renamed it to allow the uploading)

Since version 2, the kernel support the normal and glow versions.

REMOVED temporarily
    New version of FastMode.apk written by me.
    Works on FW 1.2.x.
    No one else wanted to do this, so I have learned something new and created my first android apk.
    You can thank me later.
    New version with a new fast display mode

I've been testing the epaper's driver, both to see how it work and to testing if I could get something new.

I added a parameter (/ sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode) that can enable a new fast mode.

By default starts at 0, so it works very much as always (although I modified some behavior, I have to do more tests), and if we put it to 1 enables a new faster mode.

To not extend much (and avoid being too much in front of the computer screen), I recorded a video showing the new mode, and also put a couple of images to compare the normal mode with the new one.

I have also created a small program that will allow us to switch between the two modes (I use the Reading now button for it)

Hope you are interested.

I compiled the latest version with usbhost patch and I've put a ramdisk that I think should work with all versions (glow and no glow).
    Also upload the file to install the normal kernel with the same modified ramdisk (the previous failed on glow version).
    Now I'm very short for time and I have not been able to test, but I prefer to upload it, and in case anyone is encouraged to try, please, confirm proper operation so others can use it.

If only need the kernel, you can get it from the boot folder on the zip.
    New version

Apart from some arrangements, I added smartassV2 as new governor, sio as the new io scheduler and veno as tcp congestion control.
    I hope the first thing improves system response, the second improved access to the flash and the third improve somewhat the wifi.
    Anyway, the best way to check is to try and comment the results because not everyone uses it the same way.

As always put the kernel file, uImage.img, to be renamed uImage before installing and a zip file to install all from cwm recovery, this time including a uRamdisk modified to use smartassV2 since boot.