Default DIY Cable

WARNING: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SHORT WIRES AND DAMAGE THE DEVICE/ACCESSORY

(Mods: Not sure where this fits - If necessary, you may move this post to Hardware hacking).

COMPONENT LIST
NOTES
  • I am not going to tell you how to solder and what equipment you need (Get a multimeter at least!!). I have never soldered or used a multimeter before this, so hardly an expert! Plenty of guides out there to help you in the learning process.
  • Pinout numbers may be reversed on the pod socket (see last column here).
  • Most of these extension cables have pinout numbers on both male/female end PCB and all the wires are color-coded.
  • You can pry open the plastic casing without breaking it..or you can break the male end and trace the pinouts to their respective colour-coded wires. Since I didn't want the 5-6 unused wires hanging loose, I preferred to rip everything out and solder only the essential wires directly to the female socket PCB.
  • Make sure USB to serial is 3.3v and NOT 5v.
  • 30-pin extension cable manufacturers usually have the digital(1) and analog (audio) ground(2) pins shorted in order to scrimp on one lousy extra wire. But my untrained ear hasn't noticed any major interference. Minor interference I hear only when audio is paused is probably from the crappy LCD display on my el-cheapo tablet.
  • USB Y Cable isn't strictly necessary, but useful for devices that allow OTG charging.

Schematic

Pinout from http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

pinouts by spadival, on Flickr

Top view and Front view: Note how pins 1 & 2 are shorted. Ideally, they shouldn't be.

pinout2 by spadival, on Flickr

Link to largest size pic

PodMode cable_schematic by spadival, on Flickr

PodMode_cable by spadival, on Flickr