Sony xav-601bt - Android based headunit with MirrorLink

Search This thread

EvoJJ

Dec 25, 2012
Mount Gambier
I've had a bit of a look around on here but been unable to find anything of relevance to the Xperia S.

Is there any chance that installing a custom Rom on the Xperia S will allow the use of the drivelink app to use the phone with the xav601bt, or am I going to have to bin it and purchase an S3 to use it? The whole purpose of the head unit was to use the GPS from my phone on it, but seeing as I don't have a compatible Nokia/Samsung device I think I'm out of luck.

Anyone been successful in getting it to work?

scupetta

Aug 29, 2010
hello guys I have a problem with the stereo
some video files can play others do not
the strange thing is that they are the same size and codec

sprigo

Mar 21, 2011
Drivelink 1.1.024

There is a new version of DriveLink (1.1.024) where u can add every app as an shortcut.
Can somebody check if the headunit will show all apps now?
I have only the Galaxy S3 but not the Sony HU jet.
I only want to use navigation and spotify in my car :(

Although you can add the shortcuts whilst the phone is disconnected from the head unit they are not visible when you connect and the Samsung Apps icon is greyed out.

orangepeel

Nov 15, 2007
I'm getting close to buying this unit. I can't get definitive answers even from Sony. I have a Xperia T. It has mlh/hdmi out and can be mirrored on my tv. It seems to have all the software and hardware for it to work with the head unit but the only way to know for sure it to buy and test.

I find it crazy that this phone isn't officially supported.

Orangepeel

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
I'm getting close to buying this unit. I can't get definitive answers even from Sony. I have a Xperia T. It has mlh/hdmi out and can be mirrored on my tv. It seems to have all the software and hardware for it to work with the head unit but the only way to know for sure it to buy and test.

I find it crazy that this phone isn't officially supported.

Orangepeel

the ONLY phone that is officially supported in the US is the galaxy s3. and its pretty pitiful from what i've heard. i wouldn't buy this unit with the expectations of getting mirrorlink, even though it is a sony phone you have. i have the 601 and i've had nothing but problems with it. NOT RECOMMENDED

johnnyboydotcc

Dec 16, 2012
Xperia Z and T apparently?

Just purchased the XAV601BT and I'm hoping to hook it up to my new Sony head unit. I have an Xperia Arc S.
I took the time to speak to both Xperia support in the UK, who said the Z and T were supported, but she was unsure about my Xperia Arc S.
I then spoke to the car stereo people (US based judging by the accent/ring tone) and he said that it _should_ be supported but he did sound like a bit of a robot, reading between the lines.

The unit is in the car, and I have an HDMI lead. Will test first to see if I can get it working... but two possible issues, number 1 is that I run Cyanogen Mod 10 on the rooted Xperia Arc S and I've not been able to hook it up to a TV via HDMI. Nothing shows on screen at all.
If I get no output, I will slot my USB in with the firmware update .bin file and try again. If I still get no joy, I might be tempted to either take the phone back to the standard software OR ring Sony again and chisel away at them.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
JG

johnnyboydotcc

Dec 16, 2012
Ignore previous msg about HDMI...

I meant to say that I intend to hook it up via USB to see if I can get this MirrorLink thing working.

Cheers,
JG

excessnet

Aug 20, 2010
Quebec
www.quebecit.net
Since it's been almost a year after the last "bad" comments above. Does it work better?

I'm trying to find a Double DIN Car Deck and I found this one at a decent price with MirrorLink technologie.

I'm trying to find some informations, but it's seems a little confused.

Can I use my build-in Google Maps?
Can I listen to MP3 onto my memory stick and used functions of the MirrorLink ?

Thanks! :)

scrub50187

Jul 29, 2010
I am hoping that there is some work going on with this........... as soon as I get mine in then its game on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
Yeah I'm just hoping this thing dies on me so I can upgrade

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ddhawkfan

Mar 29, 2011
Has anyone gotten this to actually work? I can get mirorlink to show up on my headunit, BUT using youtube, gmail, ect. do not work.

Reactions: schorsch64

fopoku2k2

Dec 16, 2007
I've got a Samsung galaxy s3 rooted in stock rom

Drivelink r3 works as supposed but I've realised it's very coppy and slow. Lots of lagging esp. on YouTube.

This makes using Drivelink very boring and a drag

Anybody experiencing this?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

xcrosstip

Dec 26, 2013
Other uses

I know this is an old thread, but I've got some other questions...

Has anyone tried to put additional apps on the 601bt? They added telenav and Pandora on an update last year. I'd like to add torque to put some gages on the screen instead of having to use my phone or an external device. If all else fails, I suppose I can pick up one of those mini-android computers with Bluetooth and a RCA adapter, but I'd rather not do that since I basically have an android already in the dash. Or has anyone "rooted" these and put some other kind of android ROM on it? Thoughts, attempts, etc?

drakeshreddy@ymail.com

Jan 4, 2013

Has anyone tried to put additional apps on the 601bt? They added telenav and Pandora on an update last year. I'd like to add torque to put some gages on the screen instead of having to use my phone or an external device. If all else fails, I suppose I can pick up one of those mini-android computers with Bluetooth and a RCA adapter, but I'd rather not do that since I basically have an android already in the dash. Or has anyone "rooted" these and put some other kind of android ROM on it? Thoughts, attempts, etc?

First Sony stopped support to XAV 601 BT models.

Second off there are no devs who can help us with this.

So Answer is NO. You might not get that app on the head unit..

Sent from Sprint GS4

aturi83

Apr 27, 2013
Answers my question....seems to have lots of potential to be customised and for features to be expanded.

A shame...

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

drakeshreddy@ymail.com

Jan 4, 2013
XAV 601 Bt Back Up Camera not auto turning on when Backing up.

I dont know If this is happening for just me or every one !!

I have XAV601Bt in my 2012 Civic. I grounded the Video Cable so that I can watch Video even though I am not in Parked position.
I recently Installed Back Up Camera. And Hooked pwer source to my BackUp tail Light. (When i put in Reverse camera turns on).

But When Ever I put in Reverse My Head Unit is not autoDetecting the camera. I need to go to Main menu and click on Camera icon to turn On Camera. This is annoying.

I would think it will autodetect the camera and pop up the camera options.

Any suggestion on how to do that?

LazyFao

Aug 16, 2012
I dont know If this is happening for just me or every one !!

I have XAV601Bt in my 2012 Civic. I grounded the Video Cable so that I can watch Video even though I am not in Parked position.
I recently Installed Back Up Camera. And Hooked pwer source to my BackUp tail Light. (When i put in Reverse camera turns on).

But When Ever I put in Reverse My Head Unit is not autoDetecting the camera. I need to go to Main menu and click on Camera icon to turn On Camera. This is annoying.

I would think it will autodetect the camera and pop up the camera options.

Any suggestion on how to do that?
It will. You should also connect +12V from taillights to +12V input of main connector at the back side of head unit. See installation manual for details.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Could you post some experiences with this unit? Do you think it's fast enough? How about the touchscreen; how well does it react to your finger and what about the sun.

There is a russian video on youtube giving a demo of this device.. not much to understand (at least for me) but at least you can see the features a little bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGMxaMnfTFo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9V641jTZQ

As you can see in the video, it's not as smooth as I hoped for.. sometimes you have to touch something two or three times before it works.

I have this unit as well and have had it since late May. It is actually pretty responsive(for a touchscreen head unit) and boots up fast. I am coming from a x930BT which was horrible in both of these areas. The having to press more than once is more related to how accurate you need to be to hit what the unit considers the button. It is small area that accepts the input for that button, hopefully they address this in a FW update.

As for the Sun question - pretty bad, but my car has a bad location for the radio that doesn't help the problem any. The sun beats directly on the screen and it is completely washed out.
    http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/car/mirrorlink/compatibility/kw-nsx1.html

Support for the Samsung GALAXY S III is planned. Car Mode compatibility will differ by country or region.
    Support for Europe was going to be available on July 20 2012.
    But, Support for Europe will be delayed to August 31 2012, because of software development has been delayed.
    And timing for US/Canada is TBA. Support for Asia/Middle East is TBA.

So MirrorLink with the JVC will work at the end of August, so I guess that will also mean Sony will support it by that date.
    I did a reset to the system and my source selector worked again and everything is fine. I dont have an iphone to test the telenav but I really hope they get on the ball and make the Galaxy S3 work with it. I know were waiting on Samsung to release an update. Also I have telenav comes out with a version for android that supports the Mirrorlink so we can use that feature as well. I may contact them today and find out.
    lol... I guess that answer my question. I wont get it for now... :)
    Has anyone gotten this to actually work? I can get mirorlink to show up on my headunit, BUT using youtube, gmail, ect. do not work.