[ROM] CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly Builds for NookColor [5/3/13]

Search This thread

webyrd

May 4, 2011
Florida
Can you check the uptime displayed in the system status? My guess is that userspace crashed, but the kernel didn't -- in that scenario, init will try to restart userland, so you'd see the boot animation come up again.

You are correct, 78 hours uptime immediately after last SOD/init reboot of userland (whatever this should be called).

Jumping to conclusions, part 2: both issues are caused by the UsbDebuggingManager file descriptor/memory leak with beta 2 -- if you're building yourself, or know how to edit /init.encore.rc in the initramfs (ramdisk), apply
https://github.com/NookieDevs/andro...mmit/b93d7551841d235ac1fa50ae2d315afb39879005 and that problem will go away. I believe that disabling USB debugging in settings and rebooting will also stop that from happening.)

Have not had much time available, disabling USB debugging seems to have helped some (not happening as frequently), but has not completely solved the problem. Will try edits to init.encore.rc when I get time.

webyrd

May 4, 2011
Florida
Last edited:
Reactions: dbrickg

thejrcrafter2

Oct 26, 2012
Bethany, CT
No expanded desktop item on the power menu, I checked it was enabled. Is there any other way to activate expanded desktop?

Sent from my NookColor using xda app-developers app

UPDATE
it works now. Had to enable advanced reboot menu through developer options.

Last edited:

dbrickg

Feb 11, 2012
Yes! Please! Rename the thread. Or start a new one. And/Or update the OP. The old CM10 nightly thread says CM10.1 has gone nightly, and points to this thread, but there's no mention in this thread's OP of the new nightlies. Or maybe I'm just not reading carefully enough....

Probably faster - thanks
Had not even checked http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=encore&type=nightly or http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#encore/cm10/next lately, thanks to all the DEVS - great work and now nightlies - downloading now.

Time to rename thread?

cybertimber2007

Oct 31, 2007
@devs,
The 4/21 CM10 build (updated from 4/14, updated from...) and the CM10.1 builds (clean install) are running very smooth! Nice fix that Steven hinted at.

Yea we really should see if eyeballer wouldn't mind updating and renaming the thread. Something along the lines of [Nightlies] being added.

Reactions: dbrickg

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Yes! Please! Rename the thread. Or start a new one. And/Or update the OP. The old CM10 nightly thread says CM10.1 has gone nightly, and points to this thread, but there's no mention in this thread's OP of the new nightlies. Or maybe I'm just not reading carefully enough....

Yeah eyeballer just needs to update the original post, but this will be the 10.1 thread moving forward. The other one had a long venerable life...

webyrd

May 4, 2011
Florida
Hey guys something that happens on every ROM I hold vol up for change of song and it flips through 50 lmao

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Never used that before, so don't know about other ROMs, but doing it on mine too, although 50 may be exagerating, mine skips 5 or 6. Rebooted, started logcat, opened Apollo, skipped a few times, ended logcat, took dmesg. Both are attached. Hope it helps, don't know that it's a big deal to me, I usually use phone for music.

Edit
BTW no SOD / init reboot of userland or whatever since on CM10.1 nightlies, running very well.

Attachments

• dm042513.txt
    20.8 KB · Views: 10
  • lc042513.txt
    196.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: steven676

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Thanks -- I've updated the post above with a new test kernel (-g6b6f85d), which (knock on wood) should fix the ft5x06 y-axis reversal.

(From drivers/input/touchscreen/ft5x06-i2c.c, starting at line 382:
Code:
    if (REVERSE_Y(ts->platform_data->flags))
    {
        rev_y = true;
    }
    else
    {
        rev_y = false;
    }

rev_y = true;

Way to go, Barnes and Noble ... what's the point of having a flag if you're just going to ignore its value?)

Remember that SurfaceFlinger now thinks the natural orientation ("0" rotation) is landscape with the N key to the right -- 0/180/270 degree rotations starting from there give you the same set of orientations as 0/90/270 degree rotations starting from the "true" natural orientation (N key down).

OMG.

That is something. I had this exact same issue when I was working on porting AOSP 4.1 to the Nook. But I never got that deep into the problem as I broke my Nook in the testing phase...Glad to finally see the actual problem. That is some responsible coding!

Thanks for all the work, slou. I have been following your kernel work.

moocow1452

Nov 16, 2011
Livonia
So, like a bug to a zapper, I downloaded the latest version of CWM Recovery 6.something, and I can't access my SD card. Does Rom Manager still allow for backflashing, since that's kind of a problem for me?

Starphish

Jan 23, 2012
Nice work!

I dirty flashed from CM10 and play store gave me crash fits, So I flashed gaps and wiped cache and dalvik. Google Music repeatedly popped up crash notices and Gmail had sync probs.

Uninstalled Music and Gmail and reinstalled them from play store and things settled out. Flashed to the latest nightly and responsiveness was noticeably better. Still exploring now. Don't plan on reverting to 10. This is amazing! Thanks devs.

:good::good:

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
Loving the CM10.1 nightlies

Appreciate all the work that went into making it possible. Thanks to all that contributed.

thejrcrafter2

Oct 26, 2012
Bethany, CT
I totally agree. I can't believe that a piece of hardware from 2010 could possibly run the latest version of android in 2013. These developers are just amazing.
Also, where can I find the pie launcher code in the source? I'd like to Terry and Mrs around with it a little bit. Would I need to rebuild the entire ROM or just that one part?
Thanks for all the hard work,
thejrcrafter

Sent from my NookColor using xda app-developers app

Lakland

Jan 18, 2012
Puerto Rico
I upgraded to 10.1, 20130501 nightly. So far smooth, 4 SOD since yesterday. I upgraded to 0502 nightly to see how it goes. Performance options area not available in this ROM......

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk HD

MechaGen

Sep 9, 2008
Puyallup WA
Samsung Galaxy S20
I upgraded to 10.1, 20130501 nightly. So far smooth, 4 SOD since yesterday. I upgraded to 0502 nightly to see how it goes. Performance options area not available in this ROM......

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk HD

In System settings, About phone, tap "Build number" seven times. It gives you developer options.

Sent from G-Note

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated 5/3/13
    The Nook Color is now an official CM 10.1 device! This is a huge milestone in the development of a device of this age!

You can now find builds at http://get.cm/?device=encore

I will keep the remainder of the post below for informational purposes but users should click the link above to get the latest builds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Updated 3/17/13
    *Beta 2 released, sync'd with latest CM sources
    *Further kernel updates, thanks again to steven676 for all his work!
    *Bootanimation still funky...

Updated 2/27/13
    *Beta 1 released, sync'd with latest CM sources and updated to 4.2.2.
    *Latest kernel changes are included. Thanks steven676.

KNOWN ISSUE:

Android 4.2.2 has some new adb security features which require you to authorize the computer that you're connecting to on your device. Please make sure you have the latest adb version (update it via sdk manager). The initial adb auth doesn't always work when connected with MTP - the workaround is to switch to UMS mode (settings-storage-menu) then auth the device (and remember the keys). After that you can switch back to MTP and it'll work from then on for that computer.

*** If you have a non-development related question/comment about 3rd party mods/add-ons then DO NOT post in this thread, it for bug reports and comments on the build provided without modifications. Please keep all user discussion in the thread in general: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2170185 ***

Original OP

Following closely on the heels of our official status as a CM10 device, the NookieDevs present CyanogenMod 10.1 Alpha for the Nook Color!

As stated, this is an Alpha release for people to get a sense of the new features in Android 4.2.1. Performance doesn't seem quite up to par as CM10 as yet, and any lingering bugs in CM10 will likely be present in this release. While almost everything is working, we do expect users to uncover some additional bugs. Please take precautions to backup your device/data.

You should be able to flash this over CM10; however, if you run into a bug, please do a full wipe and reinstall before reporting. See Post 2 for wipe procedures and gapps information.

Known issues:
    1) Initial boot animation doesn't display correctly
    2) Some performance issues (remember this is 2010 hardware we're working with...)

Please read over the CM10 thread as the bulk of fattire's introduction still holds true for this release.

WARNING/DISCLAIMER

Understand that there are likely to be bugs, both known and unknown, and that all appropriate experimental-software disclaimers apply, including the fact that by using or attempting to use this software, you assume all risk for fooling with your hardware. We will not be held responsible for any potential loss of data, destruction of hardware, removal or disappearance of limbs, life, or coins in the couch. We do not claim this software is fit for any purpose, etc. Beware of Dragons.

This said, we do feel that the our work is finally “good enough” for interested people with a tolerance for risk to get their hands on.

Of course credits and thanks to all those who have contributed: fattire, keyodi, sluo, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor and many more.

Source:
    https://github.com/NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.1

Download:
    Beta2: cm-10.1-encore-b2.zip MD5: 455cf35156feabc6ac630dce51d29454

Previous builds:
    Beta1: cm-10.1-encore-b1-stillsomebugs.zip MD5: 1afea80885f349b810b5130a30d6593e
    Alpha1: cm-10.1-a1-encore-fullofbugs.zip MD5: aa47473b5c3f743f3033c7cd7ac29f19
    Nightly builds!

Starting today, we have official CM10.1 nightly builds available at the usual location: http://get.cm/?device=encore&type=nightly . If you're currently running one of eyeballer's CM10.1 alpha/beta builds (don't forget to thank him for cranking them out!), you'll want to upgrade -- the CM10.1 nightlies include significant performance improvements over beta 2 and should be at least as stable (if not more).
    Gapps for 4.2.2: http://techerrata.com/file/gapps/gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip
    Mirror: http://goo.im/gapps

If you run into a gapps related issue:
    1) Wipe system manually in recovery
    2) Flash rom then gapps

If you still run into issues:
    1) Wipe system manually
    2) Wipe data (factory reset)
    3) Flash rom and gapps
    Frequently asked questions

Where did the developer settings go?
    Where did the performance menu (overclocking settings, etc.) go?

Google and CyanogenMod decided to hide those settings by default in Android 4.2. To enable them, go to Settings->About tablet and tap on the build number seven times.

How do I get the Honeycomb/ICS tablet UI?

You want to use the Auto-Patcher to modify your ROM for the tablet UI. (Don't forget to thank Caldair for maintaining the Tablet UI mod, and mateorod and the rest of the Auto-Patcher developers for building that tool.)
    I just installed the 5/25 nightly (was on RC2) and the CM updater still crashes when I check for updates. I did clear cache & data for the updater app too and no change.

I've been having cm updater issues too as of 5/18 nightly.

Anyone want to provide more information (I've quoted the original request below for reference)? Anyone? I don't have magical remote-tablet-diagnosis powers -- I need something to work with here.

For everyone having problems with CMUpdater crashing -- could you please post the contents of any files with extension ".changelog" you find in /sdcard/cmupdater? (Also, a logcat of the crash would be helpful -- we have one (thanks sziggins!), but more would help to confirm we're looking at the same problem here.)

As for any other problems, please check the following before reporting:
    • Does the problem occur with a clean install of CM10.1? This means wiping /data and not restoring a Nandroid backup afterwards. Don't restore system apps and/or their data in Titanium Backup either (user apps/data are okay).
    • Are you overclocking? To be clear, we are not interested at this point in bug reports of any kind that happen if you have the maximum CPU speed set above 1000 MHz. If you're experiencing system crashes or SOD, you may also wish to try capping the CPU clock speed to 800 MHz (but if this helps, please report your problem here and fill out the hardware survey).
    • Do you have any patches, custom kernels (any of my "test" kernels included), or other tweaks applied? (To be clear, we're not necessarily going to ignore bug reports from patched or tweaked systems outright, but it can make our job harder, and we do need to know to judge whether or not the change might be relevant to your problem.)

When reporting, please include the following information if at all possible:
    • Full description of the problem -- "it crashes" doesn't count. How do you trigger the problem (or does it occur by itself)? What exactly happens when the problem occurs? How often does it happen?
    • For problems with apps or specific pieces of the system software: we'll almost certainly ask for a logcat of the event, so you'll save everyone some time by including it.
    • For problems involving system freezes, crashes, or SOD: if you can connect to the tablet via adb while it's "unresponsive", please provide dmesg and logcat output from that time. If you cannot, try power-cycling it while it's still plugged into USB, and provide dmesg output from immediately after the reboot, plus the contents of /proc/last_kmsg if that file exists (let us know if it doesn't).
    • For unexpected reboots: provide the contents of /proc/last_kmsg from after the reboot.

I can make my nook color screaming fast by shotgunning it on CM 10.1. You guys are just not wanting to debug. Hate to be direct but that is the truth. Got all of my lag reducer apps linked down in cyanogenmod. You are forgetting speed over features. You guys ran off dalingrin who did great work on the CM 7.2 series. I bet he spent tons of time getting that build up fast.

Also why did no one pick up a mod for overclocking more? I am seeing controversy with the developers over this, this tells me the kernels are not as stable as they like or they would not care. Dont let them run off.

There is lag reports all over the internet on just the nexus 7 for jellybean too. Fix the problems please. I spent lots of time promoting this project and you guys are just making us look like slackers. You are better than this. You are geniuses with code. Work that magic more and give us love too.

Let me say this (relatively) nicely, hopefully before someone else does in a less, uh, restrained way: no one (here) is obligated to do anything for you. These are all-volunteer projects we're talking about, and the people working on them have the right to spend their spare time however they wish. If those wishes don't align with yours, that's your problem, not theirs.

Put another way, you're welcome to ask for certain features, or for certain bugs to be fixed, but you should not expect, let alone demand, that something be done.