Instagram on Android- Picture Quality ***Fixed in 4.1 and alternate fix on page 7***

Search This thread

freakinbock

Feb 16, 2011
Ok, I've solved the problem.

What Instagram for Android does incorrectly or does not at all is use the antialising when resizing photos. I downloaded the Resize Lite app from the Play Store. I've created a preset for Instagram (612x612, antialiasing normal) in that app and now use it before sending a pic to the Instagram.

Reactions: LttHckr

tiffany pang

Feb 27, 2013
Same problem!!

I also found this problem on Instagram on Android .
Can you tell me how to fix it?????
urgent!
thanks!!!

tiffany pang

Feb 27, 2013
Same problem!!

I'm posting in this thread because this is the first result on Google looking for "instagram android quality". Anyway, while the horror showed by OP is fixed, sharing photos with Instagram is still not as good as it is on iOs.

This is a test photo I did with my Galaxy Nexus and uploaded it to instagram:
instagram.com/p/S34ph9Q0Ky/ (sorry no link, can't post url yet)

The same exact photo sent to an iphone 4 and uploaded with the iOs app:
instagram.com/p/S34wVrnwr7/ (sorry no link, can't post url yet)

Android shot looks more blurred and overall less detailed, on sharper pics the result is even more noticeable. I'm not sure why this happens (different architecture? lazyness? bad coding?), nor if they can or have the intention to fix it, since I'm probably the only one who noticed :angel:

Anyway, the picture stored into android folder "instagram" that you can find in the gallery, is a really good quality pic and is completely fine.

I also got the same problem!!! Anyone know how to solve?

tiffany pang

Feb 27, 2013
How to ?

I agree..its frustrating, to say the least. I have found somewhat of a "fix" if you will.

Basically, go ahead and download an app called "pic frame" from the play store. (It should be a square with hot colors like pink, yellow, and blue on it). Now, I have a Samsung phone running JB so it has a pretty good photo editor.

I snap a picture, then open it in my photo editor and locate the "sharpen" feature. Once I apply sharpen, I then save the image. Then, I open up PicFrame, and select the 1X1 frame and reduce the borders to zero. I select my edited image from my gallery and share it to Instagram selecting High Quality.
This makes it much better. Your milage may vary, because obviously it will depend on your camera's quality. However, it is noticeably different.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

How to seclect high quality? I can't see this button!!! And after I upload the photo it still look blurru a little bit:(
I paid for it but it doesn'r help ... So sad

strikeIII

Jun 18, 2005
Chicago, IL.
I experienced the opposite issue where the latest IG update started to degrade my photos after it uploads and I realized that in Advanced options the option to use high quality was enabled. After I disabled this option the issue went away. As a matter of fact once you try to re enable it it gives you a warning that this option may not work on all devices and that if you experience issues to leave it off.

uploadfromtaptalk1368057753915.jpg

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2

chitgoks

May 8, 2013
I experienced the opposite issue where the latest IG update started to degrade my photos after it uploads and I realized that in Advanced options the option to use high quality was enabled. After I disabled this option the issue went away. As a matter of fact once you try to re enable it it gives you a warning that this option may not work on all devices and that if you experience issues to leave it off.

View attachment 1947048

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2

good tip!

Reactions: daniel_rh

LttHckr

Nov 8, 2010
What's wrong with it?

What's wrong with it? (IG 3.5.3 update date May 7, 2013)

Crop from picture that smaller than IG upload size (612x612 px).
attachment.php
attachment.php

Crop from picture that bigger than IG upload size.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• zoom-in-off.jpg
    zoom-in-off.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 13,992
  • zoom-in-on.jpg
    zoom-in-on.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 13,917
  • zoom-out-off.jpg
    zoom-out-off.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 14,125
  • zoom-out-on.jpg
    zoom-out-on.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 14,086

eyi

Aug 25, 2010
Unfortunately, turning off both advanced features only partially fixed the problem for me. My Galaxy S4 takes huge (4128px x 3096px) photos and saves them as PNG files. After turning off both features mentioned in this thread, some of my photos still come out still fuzzy/pixelated. But only on IG, they're fine in my local Instagram folder. I figured PNG was the problem, so I tried using Photoshop Express to re-save the image as JPG. The fuzziness went away, but the picture quality worsened noticeably. Anybody find a better solution for this yet? Thanks in advance!

psibreaker

May 23, 2013
I'm baffled as to why the Android version of Instagram applies such crappy compression to their images. I'm loving my crisp new HTC One, but even when I optimize my images through Photoshop and save full quality PNGs via Dropbox the compression still applies no matter the size or filter used. And believe me I tried a number of combinations.

However, I will try to disable the "Use High-Quality Image Processing" option and report back with my discoveries.

R.Suave

Apr 18, 2013
Texas
Turning off both advanced settings has increased my upload quality as well. This is very annoying though. Im really loving my S4 camera but uploads do no justice to the original. Hopefully a better fix will arise soon

Hreidmar

May 8, 2012
Turning that HQ Image Processing in settings also improved my image quality a bit.

They should turn off that setting by default.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I know a lot of you hate on Instagram so please move on.

I was looking at my pictures and found that Instagram was destroying my pictures a little bit in excess of what I would normally find respectable for such a software.

So today I took a picture I shot with my 5DMKII (DSLR) and did the following...

I took my I9300, open instagram, applied no filter and this is what came out:

AndroidInstagram.jpg

Then I used a iPod 4th gen I got today for cheap and did the SAME thing, this is what came out:

iOS_Instagram.jpg

WTF is wrong with the Android app ? Is this a SGSIII issue or is everyone on Android affected. This is really horrible.

This is the same picture using Eyeem : http://www.eyeem.com/thumb/h/682/5555a77bfa5ad9e6b13e91398485d5b6b188f2b0-1347659393
    This is the original picture I used : http://goo.gl/hMun0
    Here is a test I did. The original image is 640x640 so Instagram didn't have to resize it. I posted it with an iPad and my Nexus 5.

ORIGINAL: i.imgur.com/cvM9cUw.jpg
    iOS: i.imgur.com/EBmnCM5.jpg
    ANDROID: i.imgur.com/DRwmpw7.jpg

Sorry I'm unable to link.
    Just in case anybody needed to know the new Image size for IG on Android is 1024x1024

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk
    Err is it my eyes? I don't see any differences bro, could you describe it on words?:confused:

Sent from my LG-P940
    Does anybody have the apk file for the Resize App? I had purchased it thru google play and I had it on my S4. However, I just switched to the S6 and figured I would find it on google play in my history and just re download it but it's gone :/

Any suggestions? (I've already looked online at several sites and couldn't find anything)
    Try the latest Instagram version. The change to 1080p uploads and the latest improvements made Android uploads a lot better. Maybe not where it needs to be yet but the photos are looking very good now.