What are the benefits of 4.2 over 4.1?

Search This thread

neondunker

Aug 20, 2012
Hi,

I was thinking about this because, almost every 4.2 rom for the Atrix HD as a lot of problems (camera, battery drain, etc), it's worth?

Flashed AOSPizza and its incredible and can't find anything that I miss from 4.2 so that's my focus: why don't put effort on 4.1 which is running great since (to me) there aren't so many differences with 4.2?

A 4.1 version of Paranoid Android would be awesome for example. Just putting the debate on the table :)

codecxbox

Jan 29, 2011
Hi,

I was thinking about this because, almost every 4.2 rom for the Atrix HD as a lot of problems (camera, battery drain, etc), it's worth?

Flashed AOSPizza and its incredible and can't find anything that I miss from 4.2 so that's my focus: why don't put effort on 4.1 which is running great since (to me) there aren't so many differences with 4.2?

A 4.1 version of Paranoid Android would be awesome for example. Just putting the debate on the table :)

I totally agree with Neo. In fact, most dev threads run developments from 4.2 down to even Froyo!
Many devs prefer to dev on top of a proven daily rom because it's pretty much documented.

I would suggest working on a 4.1 with everything working. GPS, camcorder, data, lagless,etc

This would be a dev job on 4.1 with the purpose of tweaking a proven working rom.

Reactions: swapnil0545

swapnil0545

Jul 23, 2012
Even I feel the same, why dont we make a fork of the cm 10 when we have working cam and gps everything?
Why people are goin after cm 10.1 or 4.2.

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Even I feel the same, why dont we make a fork of the cm 10 when we have working cam and gps everything?

Because its newer, simple as that. And a lot of custom roms don't do CM10 based anymore -- all CM10.1. I mean, if PAC, Slim, AOKP, PA or whatever were still doing 10 it would be worth doing.

I mean, I could probably\maybe do a 10 based rom, but first release would pretty much be it. Our devs don't really do CM10 anymore, nor do the major projects.

Android 4.2.3 and a 3.4 kernel is where we're gonna be in the future. We just need to be patient enough for Hashcode and the rest of the gang to get 3.4 working. Lots of progress has been made, but its not all the way ready. Personally, while inconvenient, I can live without gps and camcorder because I know that I'd rather have them working on a better 3.4 kernel for us than trying to fix our current out of date kernel.

I'll look into doing a 4.1 based PAC, but that's as much as I care to do for CM10 other than help someone else start their own CM10 based project.

EDIT

Gonna try and make PAC Jellybean 4.1 based on XT926 CM10 unlocked bootloader sources and kernel. Wish me luck

Last edited:

codecxbox

Jan 29, 2011
Because its newer, simple as that. And a lot of custom roms don't do CM10 based anymore -- all CM10.1. I mean, if PAC, Slim, AOKP, PA or whatever were still doing 10 it would be worth doing.

I mean, I could probably\maybe do a 10 based rom, but first release would pretty much be it. Our devs don't really do CM10 anymore, nor do the major projects.

Android 4.2.3 and a 3.4 kernel is where we're gonna be in the future. We just need to be patient enough for Hashcode and the rest of the gang to get 3.4 working. Lots of progress has been made, but its not all the way ready. Personally, while inconvenient, I can live without gps and camcorder because I know that I'd rather have them working on a better 3.4 kernel for us than trying to fix our current out of date kernel.

I'll look into doing a 4.1 based PAC, but that's as much as I care to do for CM10 other than help someone else start their own CM10 based project.

EDIT

Gonna try and make PAC Jellybean 4.1 based on XT926 CM10 unlocked bootloader sources and kernel. Wish me luck

GO FOR IT!!! a lot a people will be thankful!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

EDIT

Right now the benefit is broken camcorder...:silly:
    Hi,

I totally agree with Neo. In fact, most dev threads run developments from 4.2 down to even Froyo!
    Many devs prefer to dev on top of a proven daily rom because it's pretty much documented.

I would suggest working on a 4.1 with everything working. GPS, camcorder, data, lagless,etc

This would be a dev job on 4.1 with the purpose of tweaking a proven working rom.