[KERNEL][GPL][N7]franco.Kernel - r82

Search This thread

combatdeity

Nov 18, 2010
Not noticed a lot of difference from 62 -> 64, but I didn't run in to any problems with 62 or 63.
Running great, almost as smooth as mako, genius coding.

etheriae

Jan 11, 2012
Besnate
I don't know if it's the right place to ask it.. but with this kernels is useful use apps like "LagFix" that calls fstrim()?

In any case congrats for the good work

c0manche

Feb 12, 2011
How does keeping 2 core affect the companion core?

I thought maybe wrongly that the companion core only operated when freq was bellow 400Mhz and only 1 core was in use!

Just a question sorry if I am been an idiot

Kaiyes

Nov 3, 2011
I was able to recreate the torrent-overnight charging-deep sleep-hard reboot issue with r64 & multirom with pa 3.15 as internal. Here is the last_kmsg.

Attachments

• last_kmsg.txt
    155.7 KB · Views: 12

qu3becker

Sep 15, 2011
Laval
How does keeping 2 core affect the companion core?

I thought maybe wrongly that the companion core only operated when freq was bellow 400Mhz and only 1 core was in use!

Just a question sorry if I am been an idiot

Franco disabled the companion core since it's isn't a real core and switching from the "companion core" to actual core took more battery anyway. If I understood correctly.

Last edited:

konradsa

Feb 22, 2013
R64 is great, just as smooth as the previous versions. Also noticed the cpu frequency seems a lot less jumpy now. For instance, monitoring the cpu frequency in trickster, it doesn't jump around anymore continuously been 200 and 1300.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
I was able to recreate the torrent-overnight charging-deep sleep-hard reboot issue with r64 & multirom with pa 3.15 as internal. Here is the last_kmsg.

OK so from my limited abilities there was some stuff to do with GPU in that log, do you over clock it? Also I can't read that log in full as root explorer gives an error about file being to large. Could you post that log to pastie.org and link again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: Kaiyes

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
I'm probably going to curse myself for this but *touch wood* battery on r64 is looking to be very good. 45 mins off charger, 43 mins screen on time

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371607760501.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371607760501.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 928
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371607776455.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371607776455.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 929

fgenari

Sep 7, 2012
I know this will sound a bit stupid .... but after many, many tests, I came to a conclusion.

The problem is not Franco Kernel + Cm10.1

But the trebuchet of cm10.1

I tested with some other launchers (Nova and Apex) and the small lag that appeared after the R63 and R64 disappeared.

I pray that whoever is using Cm10.1 and reporting problems, test some other launcher.

I'm not a developer, just a user .... So all this can be really stupid. But I thought I should share with you all.

Maybe a small thing can lead to other conclusions.

I apologize if I spoke just nonsense things.

I love Cyaongenmod and Franco(gnex, n4 and n7 combo) then I am seeking some solution....

Cheers!!

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
I know this will sound a bit stupid .... but after many, many tests, I came to a conclusion.

I tested with some other launchers (Nova and Apex) and the small lag that appeared after the R63 and R64 disappeared.

I pray that whoever is using Cm10.1 and reporting problems, test some other launcher.

I'm not a developer, just a user .... So all this can be really stupid. But I thought I should share with you all.

I love Cyaongenmod and Franco(gnex, n4 and n7 combo) then I am seeking some solution....

Cheers!!

Hmm maybe trebuchet doesn't like being reniced?

When you're noticing the lags, in Terminal Emulator type "su", grant root, then try: renice 0 `busybox pgrep com.cyanogenmod.trebuchet`

Let me know if that resolves it (should be instant). You could also try values of -10, or -21 to see if they make a difference.

Edit: Note that if you didn't have any problems with r61-osmod that basically rules the above out as being the current issue, but might as well try other niceness values anyway.

P.S. r64 seems to fix the touch issues I was seeing in Chrome, especially on pinches.

Last edited:

nuchdog

Feb 8, 2012
The updater fails to fetch r63 and then force closes. What's wrong?

This has been going on for a while. Try it in portrait mode. For some reason, when the app is in landscape mode, the popup download status/progress window doesn't appear and it causes a force close when you try to auto flash or down load a zip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK

Cheers!!

Hi, fgenari...

Never ever be afraid of voicing an opinion... no matter how 'stupid' you may feel it is. Sometimes a different perspective is needed to resolve a problem.

And a problem of another kind... is when surrounded with hugely experienced stalwarts, one feels naturally intimidated about speaking up... I would never have considered Trebuchet as being a cause of the reported lag, primarily 'cos I've never used Trebuchet (I'm a fully paid up Apex man:)).

But now, I've learned something as result of your question... thanks to osm0sis...

renice

... in terminal emulator... I've no idea what this means, or what it does... but I have every intention of finding out.

On a wider note....

Some random ruminations on r63/64

r64 is ridiculously smooth - (as was it's immediate predecessor, r63 - but I didn't get chance to post my opinion on that, before r64 came along!)

Anyway... no problems here, on my Cyanogenmod based ROM running Apex launcher... r64 just works. And deliciously so:).

----------------------------------

Although I have just bought franco's updater app, I use this procedure for flashing...

In recovery (TWRP in my case), run osm0sis f.Ku Emergency Settings Reset Zip. This guarantees the clearing out of any garbage...

Flash franco's kernel... in the same TWRP session.

Reboot.

It's a bit more time consuming (around 4 minutes - all that 'Android is Upgrading - Optimising app [x] of 207' stuff is pretty tedious)... but it's worth it to know you have a CLEAN install of franco's latest masterpiece!:).

On the weird touchscreen issues...

In a word (or three)... VANISHED, VANQUISHED... and GONE!

I'm a big fan of Temple Run and recently purchased Temple Run Oz, which runs at a more frenetic pace than Temple Run 2... and accurate and precisely timed touch screen swipes are necessary to make any progress in the game.

With the test builds, r999v1 and r999v2, this wasn't possible (touchscreen was all over the place!), so I went back to r61osmod - but even then, there was occasional staccato like behaviour.

So back on r48 for a few days... until r62 came along... which I eyed with dubious suspicion... but the accolades heaped upon r63 eventually convinced me, and I made a leap of faith... and I flashed it.

My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!:(. (Temple Run Oz now runs without problems.)

The sublime smoothness of r64 makes r48 'feel' like sticky treacle!

However...the viscosity free nature:) (ie, not treacle) of r64 DOES carry a battery price penalty... with r48, (one core online, whilst idling), I can get around 7.5 hours screen time... with r64 (two cores online, whilst idling) it's around 6 hours screen time.

But I consider this a worthwhile tradeoff for iPad like smoothness.

Android is a bit like buying flat pack furniture - 'some assembly required'...

And the effort in assembly is as every bit as rewarding as the achieved goal.

Thanks franco, for your continued efforts in perfecting this kernel (r64 is wonderful)... and the many experienced hands who facilitate him in that quest.

Right, I'll shut up now... less my natural loquaciousness extends this post by several more paragraphs.

Rgrds,
Ged.

D

Deleted member 4860695

This has been going on for a while. Try it in portrait mode. For some reason, when the app is in landscape mode, the popup download status/progress window doesn't appear and it causes a force close when you try to auto flash or down load a zip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

This was in portrait mode, so I don't know what's the problem.

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
And for what it's worth - there is a warning...

Running franco.Kernel updater v10.0.5 - Having selected the franco.Kernel Updater option for the latest kernel, I received this 'toast' message whilst in lanscape...

"Your device is in Landscape mode, please change to Portrait before downloading to prevent unwanted Force Close due to Activity being destroyed."

@jasperjoey There were quite a few force closure issues with earlier versions of v10, but I think these have now largely been resolved. Certainly I have no problems myself... (whilst in portrait).

Have you tried clearing data in SETTINGS>APPS>ALL>Franco.Kernel updater? Might be worth a shot.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all.

r81 is the last release for Android 5.0.
    r82 or newer is only for Android 5.1 - don't flash them on older Android versions.

Download:
    boot image:
    http://kernels.franco-lnx.net/Nexus7/5.1/
    zips:
    http://kernels.franco-lnx.net/Nexus7/5.1/zips

Installation:
    fastboot flash boot boot_name_img
    or
    flash the .zip in the recovery

Changelog:
    http://kernels.franco-lnx.net/Nexus7/5.1/appfiles/changelog.xml

Source:
    https://github.com/franciscofranco/Grouper-3.1.10

Official app support:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.kernel.free

Got any questions that you couldn't find after searching?
    FAQ: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532422

Disclaimer to moderators:
    Slight OT is fine, but when users decide to act stupid they should be dealt with with the appropriate means - its really annoying for me when OT turns crazy. Please put the warning/ban hammer anytime any of you think there's lack of respect and/or too much unwanted OT crap - but if it doesn't meet this criteria let the OT posts alone. Thank you.

Cheers!
    Fsync toggle:

It's disabled by default. Enabled = stock IO speed while having data integrity; disabled = more IO throughput but less data integrity

echo Y > /sys/module/sync/parameters/fsync_enabled (N to disable and Y to enable)

GPU clock interface:

To check the current GPU frequency:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/gpu_oc

To change it:
    echo X > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/gpu_oc (change the X with your desired value. Should work up to 750Mhz at least, beyond that is pure madness)
    r62 - Where is the lag?
    * 99% rework of the Hotplug driver. Cores are intelligently managed. Always 2 cores are online to diminish thread migration and all the intrinsic operations that are inherent of onlining and offlining cores. If the load is high enough the other 2 cores come online
    * Custom changes to interactive that now reacts a bit better and more intelligently to load changes, specially during big load, which will majorly improve gaming performance
    * Interactive tunables are scaled from the Hotplug driver based on either there are 2 or 4 cores online. If there are 2 online it uses the normal tunables, if there are 4 they get tuned for maximum performance
    * Merge all the work from the usual suspects, which contains the special partition mounts
    * Bunch of other custom patches and other patches from upstream to improve IO handling
    * No more Youtube lag as far as I know

By the way I think I fixed that bug where the device could be stuck in a lower frequency (I think that was the problem AFAIK) and driver it unusable unless rebooting. Let me know if thats fixed, which I tried to fix anyway.
    Just pushed r48. Re-merged original hotplug driver and changed just a few lines to make it a little bit lighter. Should give a little extra power now. Also fixed the UV interface, you won't be able to input more than 600mV. Merged a few changes from upstream too. Hotplug options from my app will be gone with this driver change. Also it won't be dual-core minimum by default, will hotplug normally. I plan to re-add the options to change the hotplug parameters sometime in the future.
    Happy new year folks, time for r77!!

* Merged interactive governor improvements from FK for N5
    * Merged Hotplug driver improvements from FK for N5
    * Merged touchboost generic driver from FK for N5
    * Other misc patches merged from upstream
    * Added CM11 support

Thanks to osm0sis who kindly sent me the correct ramdisk changes for this release. Hope you enjoy this.