[Guide] Restore you phone to factory by Samsung Kies. Works on most Samsung units.

Search This thread

mslaceyrose

Apr 2, 2013
Big Thank you!!!

I just wanted to take the time to say thank you very much for this post.
I have a new At&T SGH-I747 and I wanted to root it. I tried Casual, a few different people's methods through Odin, once using the S3 toolkit... in all, according to the info that came up on Kies, a total of 8 attempts!

During one method, I had to move a downloaded file to the root of my phone's internal memory. The phone connected to my laptop. I could see the files. But when I tried to drag and drop the file into my phone, I got a red circle with a line through it. Just couldn't do it. I tried everything I could think of, including changing the 'sharing' settings on my Windows Vista laptop... no go.

Casual stopped and stalled due to an issue with the drivers, which all other indicators said were okay.It kept flashing a screen telling me what to do, but it went by so fast that I couldn't read it. I couldn't PM the dev or post in the thread, because I don't have authorization to do so. I did manage to send the log through pastebin, so maybe something in it will benefit someone else.

When I used Odin, each time, all went well, and I got the green PASSED! message. But no SuperUser or SuperSU, no Busy Box... nothing. Root checker said it wasn't rooted

Toolkit method, same thing. Got all done, got the success message, but no root.

Same story with all the methods I tried. The last one left me with a custom recovery, but still, no root.

At this point, I just wanted to start over fresh. There were so many methods suggested online to do so, with some conflicting information.
I figured there might be a way to go back to full stock through Kies, but I wasn't sure how. My friend sent a link to this post and ta-da! I'm back to a fresh original state.

Now. To try a different computer tomorrow and start over with Casual.

Big Thank You, norbarb :)

Reactions: norbarb and danvee

mslaceyrose

Apr 2, 2013
Update to the above.

After many failed attempts(8) to root my S3, using various methods, and each time being told that the procedure had succeeded , yet each time finding that it didn't really 'take,' I began to suspect that there must be some setting, or an app...something in my phone itself that was causing a conflict.

I'm happy to say that after using the procedure posted in this thread, restoring my phone to factory condition through Kies, that I successfully rooted on the first attempt, with the root-injected stock ROM file, root66_ATT_I747UCDLK3.tar.md5 through Odin. IDK what the conflict could have been, but whatever it was, using the procedure procedure posted here fixed things up so that I could finally root

Thanks again for posting it :good:

jordan.harris01

Jan 4, 2011
Update to the above.

After many failed attempts(8) to root my S3, using various methods, and each time being told that the procedure had succeeded , yet each time finding that it didn't really 'take,' I began to suspect that there must be some setting, or an app...something in my phone itself that was causing a conflict.

I'm happy to say that after using the procedure posted in this thread, restoring my phone to factory condition through Kies, that I successfully rooted on the first attempt, with the root-injected stock ROM file, root66_ATT_I747UCDLK3.tar.md5 through Odin. IDK what the conflict could have been, but whatever it was, using the procedure procedure posted here fixed things up so that I could finally root

Thanks again for posting it :good:

Will doing this write over a custom recovery, root and reset the flash counter to 0? Or will some of those things stick?

mslaceyrose

Apr 2, 2013
Hequalh WHEN

Will doing this write over a custom recovery, root and reset the flash counter to 0? Or will some of those things stick?

Yes, yes, and yes.
It resets the phone back to exactly how it was when you got it new.

I never saw the flash counter saying it was at 0, but before running the Kies recovery tool, under settings/about device/status, it said 'modified'. After, it said 'normal' so I assume that means the flash counter was back to 0. :)

jordan.harris01

Jan 4, 2011
Well that's good because that's what I'm after but I'm getting the same issue with it saying initialization isn't supported for the 747m. Is there a way around this?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

mslaceyrose

Apr 2, 2013
Pada AVrers

Well that's good because that's what I'm after but I'm getting the same issue with it saying initialization isn't supported for the 747m. Is there a way around this?

See post # 6. Member had same message, and realized what he had done wrong as far as the point at which he plugged in the phone... see if that helps

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011

It will reset your recovery but i don't think count will be 0 if you have higher number.

Yes, yes, and yes.
It resets the phone back to exactly how it was when you got it new.

I never saw the flash counter saying it was at 0, but before running the Kies recovery tool, under settings/about device/status, it said 'modified'. After, it said 'normal' so I assume that means the flash counter was back to 0. :)

Like i said above will not reset counter to 0 but you can use triange away before restore.

Did you try just connect phone to PC and open kies with out turning phone off then try Upgrade and Initialisation ?

jordan.harris01

Jan 4, 2011
I've tried it without connecting and get an knvalid model number, I've tried plugging in while keis is running and plugging in before opening keis

mslaceyrose

Apr 2, 2013
undulating roxerNo

It will reset your recovery but i don't think count will be 0 if you have higher number.

Like i said above will not reset counter to 0 but you can use triange away before restore.

Did you try just connect phone to PC and open kies with out turning phone off then try Upgrade and Initialisation ?

Where on the phone is the counter anyway? Do you see that in recovery mode, or download mode somewhere. Just curious, because I had a count of 8 modifications, as reported by Kies when it was running the process, and I want to make sure it's at 0 now. If not, I'll use Triangle Away. I assumed that since the phone was reporting:

Status:Normal afterward, that it had reset the counter, because before running the recovery, it had said 'modified' there.

Thanks for all of the info :)

norbarb

Dec 22, 2011
Where on the phone is the counter anyway? Do you see that in recovery mode, or download mode somewhere. Just curious, because I had a count of 8 modifications, as reported by Kies when it was running the process, and I want to make sure it's at 0 now. If not, I'll use Triangle Away. I assumed that since the phone was reporting:

Status:Normal afterward, that it had reset the counter, because before running the recovery, it had said 'modified' there.

Thanks for all of the info :)

It is in download mode or install Triangle Away and open app (root needed) and will see counter then.

mslaceyrose

Apr 2, 2013
It is in download mode or install Triangle Away and open app (root needed) and will see counter then.

thank you. I am rooted and I have Triangle Away. I hadn't opened it yet, as I just assumed that running Kies recovery had set the count back to 0, since my phone said status was 'normal' instead of 'modified'
I just opened TA, and sure enough, it says Counter: 8

Under Reset flash counter it says "Confirm current status is correct before resetting!" So I guess I need to go into download mode to confirm before resetting.

I've learned a lot. Thanks again! :)

Ravenspawn

Apr 5, 2009
I've read the whole thread and haven't seen anyone else having the same problem as I am. The whole process went without any problems but when my phone reboot, Telus here, it was as if nothing was done, other than unroot. All my apps, settings etc are still there. Shouldn't it has wiped the phone clean and returned it as it I just bought from the store? I ran TA before to make sure flash counter was reset.

2 reasons I wanted to return the phone to stock, as in fresh from the store, was since upgrading to 4.1.2, my signal's been fluctuating between 3G/H+/4G. I don't see LTE anymore. The other reason is Kies says the following message under Firmware information;

Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies.
*Current Firmware version: PDA:MF1 / Phone:MF1 / CSC:MF1 (ATT)

My S3's from Telus thus shouldn't it say (TLS) instead of (ATT)?

I've tried flashing stock ROM through Odin and nobarb's method but neither wiped the phone clean, it's like it only performed an upgrade instead of fresh install.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

norbarb

Dec 22, 2011
I've read the whole thread and haven't seen anyone else having the same problem as I am. The whole process went without any problems but when my phone reboot, Telus here, it was as if nothing was done, other than unroot. All my apps, settings etc are still there. Shouldn't it has wiped the phone clean and returned it as it I just bought from the store? I ran TA before to make sure flash counter was reset.

2 reasons I wanted to return the phone to stock, as in fresh from the store, was since upgrading to 4.1.2, my signal's been fluctuating between 3G/H+/4G. I don't see LTE anymore. The other reason is Kies says the following message under Firmware information;

Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies.
*Current Firmware version: PDA:MF1 / Phone:MF1 / CSC:MF1 (ATT)

My S3's from Telus thus shouldn't it say (TLS) instead of (ATT)?

I've tried flashing stock ROM through Odin and nobarb's method but neither wiped the phone clean, it's like it only performed an upgrade instead of fresh install.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

This is ad. I never had this problem. Maybe someone else expirance same problem. Did you try format everything in recovery and them try my metod or Odin?

Ravenspawn

Apr 5, 2009
This is ad. I never had this problem. Maybe someone else expirance same problem. Did you try format everything in recovery and them try my metod or Odin?

I haven't since I figured flashing original stock rom would clean everything but I thought maybe that's what I should've done first. I'll try wipe/factory reset from recovery, then reflash stock rom later when I'm back home.

happyhourtx

Feb 5, 2011
i followed this guide. when phone rebooted i was still on TMOBILE, with 4g.
i too, thought this would un-root phone and i could start from scratch.
no biggie. ill just flash an another ROM.

UnknownTroll1

Jul 2, 2013
Will this work for rooted s3 AT&T

I see a lot of post asking :"How to restore phone to factory ?".I always do this way after i backup all i need and important data from my phone.

1. Start Kies
2.Click Tools-> Firmware upgrade and initilazation
3.Type in model of your phone for example AT&T is : SGH-I747 ( all in capital letters) click OK. In some cases letter after number can be small. In example for Samsung Galaxy S3 Rogers you can try SGH-I747m.
4.Then type serial number off the stcker under battery also in capital letters click OK
5.There will be info about firmware click OK
6.Info about software version. Put your phone in download mode by pressing volume down key, home button and power button then connect to PC using orginal USB cable, click OK
7. Follow info on screen.
8. Phone will reboot by itself when all is done correctly.
Enjoy virgin phone llike from store. In some cases you will need to do OTA upgrade after all of this.

Good luck

EDIT: I notice that sometimes you don't have to put phone in to download mode at all. Just connect and do step 2.

Will this work if you have a rooted s3 and you need to get back to factory settings. Will this unroot the phone and set back to complete right outta factory?? I am new so please help!! I tested this up to step 5 and it works, all i have to do is plug in my phone and let kies do the work.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Yes it should work on rooted phones but you loose root.

No. Once you unlock your sim card lock you will never lock again.

So will this work if I have a rooted s3 At&t with stock 4.1.1 on my phone?? Please reply.

norbarb

Dec 22, 2011
Will this work if you have a rooted s3 and you need to get back to factory settings. Will this unroot the phone and set back to complete right outta factory?? I am new so please help!! I tested this up to step 5 and it works, all i have to do is plug in my phone and let kies do the work.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

So will this work if I have a rooted s3 At&t with stock 4.1.1 on my phone?? Please reply.

Yes this should make you S3 as you pickup from store. I notice some people having problem with restore. If you have custom recovery installed try to format everything first then try my metod.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I see a lot of post asking :"How to restore phone to factory ?".I always do this way after i backup all i need and important data from my phone.

I use Samsung Kies. They can be find HERE
    1. Start Kies
    3.Type in model of your phone for example AT&T is : SGH-I747 ( all in capital letters) click OK. In some cases letter after number can be small. In example for Samsung Galaxy S3 Rogers you can try SGH-I747m.
    4.Then type serial number off the stcker under battery also in capital letters click OK
    6.Info about software version. Put your phone in download mode by pressing volume down key, home button and power button then connect to PC using orginal USB cable, click OK
    8. Phone will reboot by itself when all is done correctly.
    Enjoy virgin phone llike from store. In some cases you will need to do OTA upgrade after all of this.

Good luck

EDIT: I notice that sometimes you don't have to put phone in to download mode at all. Just connect and do step 2.

EDIT2 : If you update to 4.3 by OTA or if you install 4.3 bootloader on ATT S3 (I747) DO NOT USE THIS METOD. You will brick your phone.
    Is this advisable for rooted phones?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Yes it should work on rooted phones but you loose root.

Anyone knows if i restore my phone to factory, it will gsm lock again?
    because i had to pay 20 bucks for the unlock code and i dont want to pay them again :p.

No. Once you unlock your sim card lock you will never lock again.
    I see lot of post asking how to restore phone to factory .I always do this way after i backup all i need and important data from my phone.

Use Samsung Kies:
    1. Start Kies
    3.Write model of your phone in example AT&T is : SGH-I747 ( all in capitals letters) click OK
    4.From behind of battery serial in capitol letters click OK
    6.Info about software version. Put your phone in download mode and connect to PC using orginal USB click OK
    8. After all will done phone will reboot.

Good luck

For step 4 you can get the serial number without removing the battery. Go to:
    Settings->About device->Status. Then scroll down to view your phone's serial number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    Make sure letters are in capitol. From what provider you have your phone? Turn on phone and check serial in settings->about device->status
    Also check model in about device
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
    How about a link to the kies for this phone. Since Samsung has to have so many different versions out... maybe add it to the op just a suggestion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.samsungapps.com/mars/about/onPc.as?COUNTRY_CODE=USA&_isAppsDep=Y

I believe its universal now. This version works on Captivate, Infuse, Skyrocket, Note, and S3 that I've worked with