Qns wrt SG Htc Dream and SDcard

Search This thread

xheavenic

Aug 8, 2009
Hi there,
I have a question regarding rooting HTC Dream.
For us SG users, we hav to go thru the tedious process of modifying and checking the compatibility of our sdcards before we can root the phone.
These are the steps we hav to go through inorder to flash RC7/29 and the HardSPL for root :
http://erlern.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/rooting-htc-dream-singtel/

Steps to Install other ROM versions on your HTC Dream (Singtel)
1. Download QMAT http://revskills.de/pages/download.html
It’s a demo version so will only can open for 10 minutes.

2. Format your memory card to fat32. Please keep in mind some card does not work.

3. Search in your android market for ‘Terminal Emulator’

4. type ‘ cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid ‘ without the quote sign.

5. Note that code down on a notepad or something. Make sure everything is noted correctly.

6) Go to QMAT site http://revskills.de/pages/download.html, download QMAT 4.36
7) Extract the file, double click on qmat.exe
8 ) Click on Cyptoanalysis Tools > Crypto Toolbox
9) Look way below, there is a text box (beside “Reverse String” button. Key in the cid number you’ve got earlier
Click on the “Reverse String” button, the result is reversed…
Example: 532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402
10) Copy the reversed cid
11) Go to QMAT again http://revskills.de/pages/goldcard.html to generate your goldcard (this is free for G1 phone, Thanks to Viper!)

12) Enter your email. For the CID, enter the reversed cid you’ve got earlier. However you need to replace the first 2 characters to 00.

Example: From “532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402” to “002600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402”

13) click Continue and you will receive the goldcard.img via your email.
14) Go to your email, download the goldcard.img and save it to a directory first.
15) Now, download HxD Hex Editor for this site
http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor/3000-2352-10891068.html?part=dl-HxDHexEdi&subj=uo&tag=button

16) Install and launch HxD Hex Editor program
17) Go to Extra tab > Open Disk. Under Physical disk, select Removable Disk (Must be your SD card), uncheck “Open as Readonly), click OK.

18) Go to Extra again, Open Disk Image, open up goldcard.img which you’ve saved to a directory earlier.
Now, you should have two tabs, one is your removable disk, the other is goldcard.img. Press OK when prompted for “Sector Size” 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks), click OK.

19) Click on goldcard.img tab. Go to Edit tab > Select All, edit tab again > copy.
20) Click on the “removable disk” tab. Select offset 00000000 till offset 00000170, click on Edit tab and then Paste Write.
21) Click on File > Save. You may exit this program

Now, do a test to see if your SD card is “compatible”

Disconnect the USB cable connected to your SD card, then plug it back again. Go to My Computer, you will see your SD card (E.g. “Removable Disk ( F:)” ), double click and see if you can access it. If it prompted you to format, then forget about this SD card, don’t think it will work. After trying for days, I ended up buying a Kingston 2GB card.

Hence i was wonder why do we hav to go through this process, and why are we not able to just flash RC images frm any sd cards ? And also, is this process only required for rooting? (ie. will a 'non compatible' card be able to flash new roms on an already rooted phone?)

With that, i hav some queries regarding SDcards. My current SDcard is a 2gb sdcard which has went through the whole process of rooting as it is 'compatible' for rooting.
However, i will be purchasing a new 8gb sdcard soon. Hence i was wondering if i will hav to modify the new SDcard too, and if SDcard partitioning will work for all sdcards and also, will i be able to flash new roms even if the new card is 'non compatible'?

any help is much appreciated :D
thank you ^^

Last edited:

geahboi

Apr 19, 2009
Tempe
issues with goldcard

Is anyone else having problems getting their gold card set up?

I have a class 4 4gb Kingston SD card, which I purchased specifically for this, that I've set up a gold card on SEVERAL times that is not working.

Every time I fast boot on my MyTouch it checks the .img file, then I get an error:

"Model ID incorrect!
Update Fail!"

I know for a fact that my model ID is correct as I pulled it from adb, copied and pasted, and I've followed these instructions to the letter including using the hex editor.

I've also verified that the gold card is functioning by testing its ability to be written to.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? :( If this is not the place to post, please let me know and I apologize in advance as I haven't been able to find any one else with similar issues.

Feel free to get at me on gtalk:

geahboi@gmail.com

incobra

Mar 27, 2005
Creating GoldCard Problem

I have the same problem. But only the above given instructions to follow for HTC Magic also. But it does not work. Is any one to willing to guide us please. Thanks in advance.

waacow

Feb 7, 2009
Any idea how to reverse the goldcard and make it back to a normal sdcard?
I tried format the card using window and that doesn't work completely.

I use a 8GB sdcard as a goldcard and now I don't need it anymore since the one-click root works. When I try partitioning on a goldcard, it return errrors like following. Also I try to use windows to format the entire card, the format is succesfully, however when i put the card in the phone to try to use it as one fat32, phone has trouble booting up.

error detail:
-----------------
converting /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 to ext4 filesystem.../sbin/tune2fs: Bad magic nu
mber in super-block while trying to open /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
/sbin/e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/block/mm
cblk0p2
done

setupr

Aug 27, 2009
Pune
1a. Terminal Emulator on the phone.

You need terminal emulator to read CID of your SD card on your phone.

You can install ConnectBos - a terminal emulator from the development site.
- http://code.google.com/p/connectbot/

Starting ConnectBot, then connect to [local]. You will see the prompt.
$

1b. create your Gold Card

* Make sure, SD card for Gold card is in your phone when you check CID. I did not know and I need to do the process twice.

** The 2GB Sandisk one which comes in the box works just fine. **

You can get your CID by copy and paste this line on your phone terminal:
- cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid >/sdcard/CID.txt

Then from your pc, through USB external USB drive, you can see CID.txt.

follow the guide to create your Gold Card.
- Windows: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4289899
- Linux: http://www.android-devs.com/?p=21

scrufy

May 3, 2009
Pasadena, Ca.
Or to get the code from adb from your pc.
Install the android sdk from code.google.com.
adb.exe will be in the tools directory of the sdk.
then: click start run and type cmd
in the dos box type:
adb devices
If your phone shows up, your good to go. If the list is blank, you need to install the driver. control panel>system>hardware>device manager>right click on android phone then update driver. Point it to the usb_driver directory in the sdk directory.
Try adb devices again, if good now then proceed with:

adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid

That will give you the code.

If you want to copy/paste it:

If your in a dos box (cmd) on xp, right click>select all. Then <cntrl>c to copy Open a new text file then <cntrl>v to paste. For some stupid fkn windows reason(insert moronic windows comment here) you can't select text in a cmd box with a mouse on all versions of win so thats a simple workaround.

kristenruna

Jan 3, 2010
Successfully rooted 32A and flashed with the new radio SPL and rom in cursordroid`s guide, and discovered something in the process of doing so.(when trying to create goldcard) Maybe its been posted before or is common knowledge but I`m posting it anyway.

About the reverse CID procedure:
I found that when using the QMAT software to reverse CID for my mmc I got a reversed string of only 31 digits as opposed to the expected 32.Tried at first to add a leading "0" to get the 32 digits required in step 11.
(I didn`t screw up, got 32 digits with other mmc`s and also tried changing between HTC/samsung brands in QMAT software on the reverse string "page" but sill only 31 digits)

I found that reversing the string manually was possible by dividing the the CID into chucks of 2 and reversing the chunks starting from the back.
example:
exampleCID: A0B1C2D3E4F5G6H7I8J9KaLb (32 digits)
Chunking CID into 2`s: A0-B1-C2-D3-E4-F5-G6-H7-I8-J9-Ka-Lb
Reversed: Lb-Ka-J9-I8-H7-G6-F5-E4-D3-C2-B1-A0
removed dashes: LbKaJ9I8H7G6F5E4D3C2B1A0
->continue to step 11 after replacing 2 first digits with "00"

Maybe people who have mmc`s that dont work should give this "manual approach" a try and compare reversed CID`s before buying new mmc`s as there may be some flaws in the QMAT software in some cases/CID`s.

Btw I used the mmc that came with the phone (sandisk 2GB) and the phone had been RUU`ed with the latest official HTC update (Scandinavian/norway).
Used androidSDK and fastboot to flash everything.
Formatted goldcard using a cardreader because formatting using the phone apparently doesn`t set everything to "00". (phone does a "quick format"? and not a "low level" format)

viperbjk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2007
Munich
Successfully rooted 32A and flashed with the new radio SPL and rom in cursordroid`s guide, and discovered something in the process of doing so.(when trying to create goldcard) Maybe its been posted before or is common knowledge but I`m posting it anyway.

About the reverse CID procedure:
I found that when using the QMAT software to reverse CID for my mmc I got a reversed string of only 31 digits as opposed to the expected 32.Tried at first to add a leading "0" to get the 32 digits required in step 11.
(I didn`t screw up, got 32 digits with other mmc`s and also tried changing between HTC/samsung brands in QMAT software on the reverse string "page" but sill only 31 digits)

I found that reversing the string manually was possible by dividing the the CID into chucks of 2 and reversing the chunks starting from the back.
example:
exampleCID: A0B1C2D3E4F5G6H7I8J9KaLb (32 digits)
Chunking CID into 2`s: A0-B1-C2-D3-E4-F5-G6-H7-I8-J9-Ka-Lb
Reversed: Lb-Ka-J9-I8-H7-G6-F5-E4-D3-C2-B1-A0
removed dashes: LbKaJ9I8H7G6F5E4D3C2B1A0
->continue to step 11 after replacing 2 first digits with "00"

Maybe people who have mmc`s that dont work should give this "manual approach" a try and compare reversed CID`s before buying new mmc`s as there may be some flaws in the QMAT software in some cases/CID`s.

Btw I used the mmc that came with the phone (sandisk 2GB) and the phone had been RUU`ed with the latest official HTC update (Scandinavian/norway).
Used androidSDK and fastboot to flash everything.
Formatted goldcard using a cardreader because formatting using the phone apparently doesn`t set everything to "00". (phone does a "quick format"? and not a "low level" format)

Interesting. That might happen if the CID string contains spaces (which often happens when copy'n'pasting serials but not entering them manually. I will have a look for it in the next PSAS version, promised.