Replacing the current akmd version with an older one (I took it from JF 1.42) did the trick for me, too. This should really go into some FAQ.
- Get old version of akmd (for convenience, I put the JF 1.42 one on my server, you can download it from here)
- Unzip akmd.zip and copy the resulting file akmd to the SD card
- Get a root shell (su)
- Mount /system read-write (mount -o remount,rw)
- Copy the downloaded akmd over the present one (cp /sdcard/akmd /system/bin/akmd)
- Adjust akmd's permissions (chmod 755 /system/bin/akmd)
... and your accelerometer should be working again.