[GUIDE][6 APR] Non-Sony Screen Panel Desire S Users Lounge + Detailed F.A.Q.

Search This thread

totalnoob34

Juggles has shared a PDF file with Sony/Hitachi connectors, check first post

Yes, seen that. So, to clarify:

SONY panels aka WIDE version have the connector ABOVE the touch screen's one, and the flex is large (covers approx. half of the screen size) and it is usually covered with a grey adhesive.

HITACHI panels (MDDI) aka NARROW version have the connector BELOW the touch screen one, and have a straight flex cable, which has to be bent in order to be installed properly.

Consequently, these two types of panels are not cross compatible, since there are two versions of mainboard as well. I suggest disassembling your phone before ordering the screen, in order to check which screen type you have. No one likes to have a spare part you can't install :p

Hope to have helped somebody, I have discovered these differences after some hrs of researching.

Tirofog

Dec 6, 2011
Ireland
Google Pixel 7
OnePlus Pad
Last edited:

riomundo

Feb 6, 2011
Could someone upload the MIUI Android MDDI link for v5?

Is offline.

Thank you.

Last edited:

longer83

Nov 10, 2011
Ålesund
Could someone upload the MIUI Android MDDI link for v5?

Is offline.

Thank you.
Here you go. But don't bother to install in with on MIUI v5 3.11.1 or later. It simply won't work since MIUI v5 3.11.1 bases on 4.2.2. Logcat keep saying:
Code:
E/qdgralloc( 1422): fb_post: MSMFB_DISPLAY_COMMIT ioctl failed, err: Invalid argument

Attachments

• CM4.1.1-kernel-to-miui_v5.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 28

jugg1es

May 29, 2012
is anyone still working on mddi kernel for cm10.1 ?

Its difficult for any dev to work on a kernel without the the panel in their device, this seems to only effect a small number of devices so probably not. This is also on the verge of becoming a legacy device.

"Don't be so humble - you are not that great."
- Golda Meir (1898-1978)

riomundo

Feb 6, 2011
Here you go. But don't bother to install in with on MIUI v5 3.11.1 or later. It simply won't work since MIUI v5 3.11.1 bases on 4.2.2. Logcat keep saying:
Code:
E/qdgralloc( 1422): fb_post: MSMFB_DISPLAY_COMMIT ioctl failed, err: Invalid argument

thank you very much for the file and for the information.:good:

ask88

Nov 21, 2013
Hey guys! Does anybody know if Android 4.4 supports MDDI? or HTC planning to made a ROM based on 4.4 for DS? Thanks.

jugg1es

May 29, 2012
Hey guys! Does anybody know if Android 4.4 supports MDDI? or HTC planning to made a ROM based on 4.4 for DS? Thanks.

Doubtful
And
Probably not
The fact that kitkat was designed for lower end phones is more for the oems and 'new' low end handsets . The saga is virtually in the legacy era of phones and htc gave up on it after they failed (or didn't really try) to get ics to successfully run on it

"Don't be so humble - you are not that great."
- Golda Meir (1898-1978)

bestfil

Oct 31, 2012
hello!
Can U post any mirror links of these kernels?
Old links are dead.

I'm interested in all versions except MUI :)

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

hello!
Old links are dead.

Thanks in advance.

totalnoob34

hello!
Old links are dead.

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

hello!
Old links are dead.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, no one is wandering here anymore, saga is pretty dead right now. Bump your question in the development thread of the roms compatible with MDDI kernel, if no one answers here.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100

if someone need mddi kernel and the link is dead in the 1st post...here the link i can found :

For Android 4.0.x & 4.1.x, use this link :
--> saga_kernel_82n.zip

For Android 4.2.x, use this link :
--> saga_mddi_291212.zip

For MIUI still there in 1st post..

i really sad..i see saga development like almost dead... :crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a thread for all users of HTC Desire S with a screen panel by Hitachi

WARNING!

ALL THE LATEST 4.1.x AND 4.2.x ROMS DO NOT SUPPORT HITACHI SCREEN PANELS, EVEN AFTER APPLYING THE CORRECT MDDI KERNEL!

THIS APPLIES TO ROMS THAT ARE BASED ON AOSP, AOKP, CyanogenMod, ParanoidAndroid, PAC-Man, etc., AND ROMS THAT ARE BASED ON MIUI

THE LAST CUSTOM ROM THAT DOES SUPPORT MDDI PANELS IS CyanogenMod 10.1 Build 13 by Flinny, SO THE DATE WHEN BUILD 13 WAS RELEASED IS YOUR GUIDE TO CHOOSE THE CORRECT ROM THAT WILL BOOT UP AFTER FLASHING THE MDDI KERNEL​

A quick review:

As you probably already know, the Desire S came in 2 different parties that had 2 different screen panels. One was made by Sony, which consists of the most devices produced, and the second - was made by Hitachi.
    It does not affect the user experience or does not upgrade/downgrade the quality of the display, and, unless you are staying on ROMs with HTC Sense UI or official ROMs, you'll never actually feel or notice that you have either of these two panels.

So why was this thread created in the first place? Let me explain

First signs of the issue:

As I said above, if you enjoy using the official firmware provided by HTC, or you use a custom ROM that has HTC Sense UI (it doesn't matter whether it's a ROM with Sense 3.6, or 4.0, or 4.1, etc.) - you'll never even think about having a different screen panel

But let's say that you want to try a ROM that's based on Android 4.0.x (a.k.a. Ice Cream Sandwich) or 4.1.x / 4.2.x (both a.k.a. Jelly Bean). That's when which screen panel your phone has matters.
    You see, the 3.x kernel from the Google AOSP source of Android 4.x seems to not support the screen panels that were made by Hitachi, the reason for that is probably in the drivers that HTC's kernel has in it, but Google's one does not.
    Hitachi panels also apply to MDDI screens category, so if a device has that type of screen panel - any ROM that's built from Android 4.0.x, 4.1.x, and 4.2.x and uses the 3.x kernel that is provided by Google along the source of the OS will NOT boot since the kernel doesn't support MDDI panels.

Sadly, this has become a problem for all users of Desire S that came in the party of devices with MDDI screen panels made by Hitachi.

The original method for Hitachi panels:

For quite some time, the first builds of custom ROMs with Android 4.1 came with an older 2.x kernel, which had support for MDDI panels built into it. As far as I know, that kernel was from HTC, and it came from Android 2.3.x (a.k.a Gingerbread) source back when that version was the most recent one for this device.

But later on, the developers started using the 3.x kernel by Google, which, as mentioned above, did not have MDDI support built into it. So, when users with Hitachi panels came back home to find a new ROM or a new version of an existing ROM that came with 3.x kernel - they simply could not use them, because either their device won't boot after flashing the ROM, or they would only see a black screen instead of the boot animation.

That was the moment when the Hitachi/Sony panels problem arised.

A team of developers of ROMs known as "Andromadus", which initially brought Android 4.0.x (a.k.a. Ice Cream Sandwich) to HTC Desire Z, made an actual 3.x kernel specially for Hitachi screen panels, also known as "74n" kernel.
    Later on, there were 3 newer kernels made - which were 77n, 80n and 82n.

The 82n saga kernel by Andromadus was the one used for the longest time, and it actually supported all the newer ROMs based on Android 4.1.x up until November, but it had its own problems, too.
    One of the most arrogant of them was an inability for users to chance the screen brightness, which was set at ~70% all the time. You can imagine what awful user experience it created, and the lack of any solution other than getting a device with a screen panel by Sony just added some oil to the fire.

Alas, nothing else was invented to somehow fix this issue until December.

"So, what do I do now?", you may ask
    Here's the answer:

Thankfully, after a couple of first builds of Android 4.2, the same Andromadus team developed a 3.x kernel for Hitachi screen panels, that could be used with any ROM based on Android 4.2.x.
    What's also important is that it brought the full functionality, so now people can access all the features that latest 4.2.x ROMs provide. The only major downside is that people still can't change the screen brightness, which still results in a serious battery drain, but at least now we can enjoy the full-fledged 4.2.x on our device, which is quite delicious!

This means that you can go straight to development section of Desire S forum and get yourself a ROM based on Android 4.2.x!
    Pretty sweet, huh?

Well, before you start flashing this and that, you should at least find out which screen panel you have.
    I don't think you'd like to download and flash a new ROM and sit and look at "HTC Quietly Brilliant" screen until your device runs of of battery charge, right?

So below awaits a manual for all of you that will help you to determine the type of screen panel and the possibility of flashing new ROMs without thinking about whether it will boot or not.

The Instruction:

Step 1. Find out which screen panel your device has:

1) Download and install Android Terminal Emulator from Google Play Market

2) Open the application and type in these commands:
    (WARNING: to use these commands - you must be rooted with either Superuser or SuperSU AND have BusyBox installed on your phone)

su
    dmesg | grep -i panel

If the app shows you any text with word "sony" in it - then your device has a screen panel made by Sony (obviously). If that's the case - you can just close this thread at once and don't worry that your device might freeze at "HTC Quietly Brilliant" screen after flashing a ROM. Otherwise, proceed forward.

OR

1) Open up a file manager that has an ability of browsing any partition above the default SD-card directory and can access the system partition
    I recommend using ES File Manager, Root Explorer, Ol File Manager or CM File Manager

2) Navigate to /sys/android_display
    If there is a file called "sony ****** wvga" - then you have a Sony panel. Otherwise - you device has a panel by Hitachi.

Step 2. Download a MDDI kernel developed by Andromadus Team:

For Android 4.0.x & 4.1.x, use this link
    --> http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1524452&d=1354294206 <--

For Android 4.2.x, use this link
    --> http://tool.anzow.com/Software/tool/saga_mddi_291212.zip <--

For MIUI v5, use this link
    --> http://yadi.sk/d/JZ_4DS4w3t98s <--

Step 3. Flash the MDDI kernel:

If you are S-OFF --> just flash the .zip file with the kernel after flashing the ROM and GAPPS package through "install zip from sdcard"

If you are S-ON --> use the following instruction by mertonzo (be sure to thank him for this;)):

1) Wipe all data
    2) Flash your custom ROM
    3) Get your MDDI compatible kernel and flash it
    --> IF (and only IF) you've this error when flashing kernel in recovery: assert failed:write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img","boot"):
    --> 3a) extract boot.img from custom rom ZIP and put it in the adb directory on your PC
    --> 3b) reboot in fastboot mode
    --> 3c) execute from PC: fastboot flash boot.img
    --> 3d) reboot in recovery and retry to flash your new kernel
    --> 3e) Now, flashing kernel is completed and you can continue to Step 4)
    4) Get new boot.img: in recovery, attach USB cable and run from PC terminal --> adb pull /tmp/newboot.img (it will trasfer generated boot.img to your PC) <--
    5) On your PC rename newboot.img file to boot.img
    6) Reboot in fastboot mode
    7) Install new boot.img (from PC terminal execute --> fastboot flash boot.img <--)

Step 4. Reboot and Enjoy your newly flashed Jelly Bean ROM!:D

UPDATE:

As totalnoob34 mentioned in his post on the last page of this thread, Desire S devices with Sony and Hitachi panels have different digitizer flex cable sizes, and their connectors are also placed differently. For further referrence, see this quote:
    SONY panels aka WIDE version have the connector ABOVE the touch screen's one, and the flex is large (covers approx. half of the screen size) and it is usually covered with a grey adhesive.

HITACHI panels (MDDI) aka NARROW version have the connector BELOW the touch screen one, and have a straight flex cable, which has to be bent in order to be installed properly.

Consequently, these two types of panels are not cross compatible, since there are two versions of mainboard as well. I suggest disassembling your phone before ordering the screen, in order to check which screen type you have. No one likes to have a spare part you can't install

Hope to have helped somebody, I have discovered these differences after some hrs of researching.

Credits/Thanks to:

Users:
    @mertonzo - for providing a manual of flashing the kernel manually
    @badlife - for prodiving a link patched MDDI kernel to use with with MIUI v5
    @finistere and @Auke11 - for finding out about an ability to use Lux Auto Brightness and RootDim to set brightness with MDDI kernels
    @sun770 - for mentioning about ScreenDimFull as a workaround for MDDI screens [
    MENTION=5243583]kaizoku kuma[/MENTION] - for giving a correct link to MDDI kernel for 4.2 ROMs
    @jugg1es and @suku_patel_22 - for leading the users with Non-Sony screen panels to this thread and helping them
    @totalnoob34 - for sharing the information about flex cables and placements of digitizer connectors in different DS models (as mentioned above

Developers:
    Andromadus Team for bringing us the kernels that we can use the 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 ROMs with @Flinny (Andromadus CM10.1 and CM10.2)
    @vampire36 (JellyFireBean X)
    @Nexx (CM9)
    @Fredericosilva (CM9)
    @ronks888 (CM9)
    @superkid (Andromadus CM10.0 and CM10.1)
    @nk111
    @blindndumb (CM10.1, AOKP, PacMan)
    @djpbx (AOKP)
    @kesh_33
    @K.Ahm_143 (AOKP Redefined)
    @akateha & @CedArctic & @LoveSicKWAR (Xperia Z Port)
    - for bringing the joy of pure stock Android, and the goodness of ICS, Jelly Bean, and other iterations of Android to HTC Desire S

These are the guys you might wanna buy a beer for :p
    Right, user-space apps cannot dim the display in a way which would actually dim the backlight and save battery as such.

The problem is that the necessary code in the kernel is "commented" out as it does not work.

I wanted to look into this, but there is some more work to be done: There have been some kernel changes which broke the "hitachi" display driver completely. Building a kernel works, but when trying to boot it, neither screen nor ADB will work (although the kernel *does* boot correctly).

I temporarily had a working kernel by reverting a specific commit [1] (by hand), but that was more or less a proof of concept and is no future-proof solution.

With flinny's latest builds (I tried build 15), the ROM is sadly totally unusable on my Desire S with a Hitachi panel, as the screen lags. I guess this is the case for all Hitachi display users.

The source of this problem is probably (I did not verify it though) that the userspace component which is responsible for rendering (SurfaceFlinger) seems to have changed the way re-renderings are triggered in 4.2.2. They now appear to be done on-demand when a vsync is supposed to happen. This requires kernel-side support via uevent. The latest binary MDDI kernel lacks support for this and as such, SurfaceFlinger reports: "Timed out waiting for hw vsync; faking it". As such, the screen is only re-drawn at very very low frequencies.

The fix for this is sadly exactly the above mentioned commit.

So, things to do: Get a current kernel built and working with the Hitachi (Renesas) driver, after that, we could start hacking on the brightness stuff.

I will certainly try to continue looking into this, but my free time is rather limited at the moment.

[1] htt ps: / / github. com/Andromadus/htc7x30-3.0/commit/e89c4495a879bab9ad629d918c2f59c31065d928
    (Sorry for not using BBCode, seems like new users are banned from posting external links. Great.)
    if someone need mddi kernel and the link is dead in the 1st post...here the link i can found :

For Android 4.0.x & 4.1.x, use this link :
    --> saga_kernel_82n.zip

For Android 4.2.x, use this link :
    --> saga_mddi_291212.zip

For MIUI still there in 1st post..

i really sad..i see saga development like almost dead... :crying:
    Hi all,

I was just trying out the latest CM10 with the Andromadus kernel from flinny's site. Just out of curiosity I installed Lux Auto Brightness. As expected, the automatic settings didn't work. But then I switched to manual mode, set the brightness to a "sub-zero" setting and BINGO. The screen was dimmed. :victory:

You have to make sure that the program doesn't get killed in the background, but there's a setting for that. I now have a persistent entry in the notifications with a brightness slider and the current brightness percentage. If I understand the settings correctly, you can even define your own "auto brightness" levels. All you have to do is "connect" the current ambient light measurement with your own preferred screen brightness.

I still have to check if this really has any effect on battery life but it certainly looks like it should. You might want to check it out.
    @danildungeon
    You missed the warning in the first post of the thread, please read it once more and you'll find the answer to your question faster than you could've imagined