[ROM] [Toro] AOSP KITKAT 4.4 - ALPHA - 11/03/2013

Search This thread

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim
This backup needs to hurry up and then I need to do a titanium backup. 0.0

I wanna know if i HATE or LOVE the changes Google made. So far from screenshots and videos I hate the gray. Lets hope that changes. We'll see what else i like and dislike.

BUT I will use this ROM for the rest of the night(CALI ^_^) and in the morning report my experience and then in the morning restore back to 4.3.

:good::good:THANKS FOR GIVING US TORO USERS SOME KITKAT LOVE!!!:victory:

EDIT1: It's boots up like expected, everything sets up, gets to the homescreen, gets some graphical issues, the isn't THAT bad(blue is still better), open the playstore the boom reboot. Camera works. Everything seems to work.

Question, how come we dont have the new dialer icon? not complaining just wondering. And also isn't the Navigation bar and status supposed to be transparent on the lockscreen? only questions so far... will update later.

EDIT2: OMFGAAAAAAWWWD it's HAS 350-300 OF FREE RAM MEMORY!!!! I haven't seen that in a LONG LONG LONG TIME. 0.0 Wasn't expecting that much more free RAM. Bad news is ALOT of reboots happens. Experienced 6 within 30-45 minutes of use.

EDIT3: looking at the icons on the google exp launcher on the Nexus 5 screenshots, i noticed that the icons are not scaled for 720p displays, making the icons bigger then normal. In the screenshots of the N5, icons are the same size as the app draw button. On my phone, the icons are .25x larger or so. Does anyone agree? Thought I'd point that out.

Last edited:

rufflez2010

Mar 13, 2010
EDIT3: looking at the icons on the google exp launcher on the Nexus 5 screenshots, i noticed that the icons are not scaled for 720p displays, making the icons bigger then normal. In the screenshots of the N5, icons are the same size as the app draw button. On my phone, the icons are .25x larger or so. Does anyone agree? Thought I'd point that out.

That's normal. They asked us developers for xxxdpi for the nexus 5 which is an xxdpi screen. The launcher is using a screen size larger icon set.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rushead

kreep22

Sep 17, 2007
Junction City
I tried installing this with TWRP and CWM and it keeps failing, is there something I need to do? I also downloaded it multiple times in case it was a bad download and it still wont flash. I really want to test this rom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Esteway.619

Dec 30, 2010
san diego
I tried installing this with TWRP and CWM and it keeps failing, is there something I need to do? I also downloaded it multiple times in case it was a bad download and it still wont flash. I really want to test this rom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Read the op man. U need to get the latest cwm. And it should work after that.

Sent from my AOSP on Toro using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: NeverSeparate

NeverSeparate

Jan 22, 2012
To go a step further than just saying you need the latest cwm, which some might overlook and think "he just means the latest version of a recovery" twrp does not work. As people have reported here, and on the shiny ROM thread, twrp will fail. Something about the way the new updater script works isn't compatible with twrp. So you must use the newest cwm. Takes less than a minute. If you want to break off a piece suck it up and flash cwm. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

fairct

Mar 16, 2011
Maryville
Anyone having issues getting 4G on this? I had it last night, but now I don't get data unless I pick 3G in the network settings. I need to check the network code and see if the LTE mode is correct for our devices, I guess...

Reactions: pakkman

Boogersugar83

Jun 13, 2010
I wasn't getting any data last night I had to restore to 4.3

47th_Ronin

Jan 17, 2012
No data for me either, tried 4g 3g etc..
Wifi is fine for me though.

On a side note, it may be something on vzw side went back to 4.3 nandroid and data is flakey at best for me.
Im in the southeast, SC to be more precise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim
Flash Supersu while you're flashing the rom

Ik that lol. But what zip should I flash? Would the 4.3 zip from chainfire work?

Sent from my AOSP on Toro using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Anyone having issues getting 4G on this? I had it last night, but now I don't get data unless I pick 3G in the network settings. I need to check the network code and see if the LTE mode is correct for our devices, I guess...

Add this to build.prop

ro.telephony.default_cdma_sub=0
ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310004
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Verizon
ro.cdma.homesystem=64,65,76,77,78,79,80,81,82,83
ro.cdma.data_retry_config=default_randomization=2000,0,0,120000,180000,540000,960000
ro.cdma.otaspnumschema=SELC,1,80,99

It works for 4.3 let me know how that works for 4.4.

EDIT1: FYI Data works fine for me without the changes for Build.prop. For now at least.

Sent from my AOSP on Toro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fairct

Mar 16, 2011
Maryville
No data for me either, tried 4g 3g etc..
Wifi is fine for me though.

On a side note, it may be something on vzw side went back to 4.3 nandroid and data is flakey at best for me.
Im in the southeast, SC to be more precise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

First boot on this my phone went nuts dialing *22899. After that, I had fine 3G, if that's what I had selected in Network Mode. Tried the build.prop mods, but it didn't change anything.

Side note, found the toggle to get fullscreen on the lockscreen. I'll get a build posted after I can look at this data issue a bit in the code + xml.

EAK128

Mar 18, 2011
First boot on this my phone went nuts dialing *22899. After that, I had fine 3G, if that's what I had selected in Network Mode. Tried the build.prop mods, but it didn't change anything.

Side note, found the toggle to get fullscreen on the lockscreen. I'll get a build posted after I can look at this data issue a bit in the code + xml.

I didn't touch any of the options in mobile networks just left it how it was, 3g. Just toggled the mobile data off and on after flashing the ROM and have had 4g and 3g since yesterday.

fairct

Mar 16, 2011
Maryville
I didn't touch any of the options in mobile networks just left it how it was, 3g. Just toggled the mobile data off and on after flashing the ROM and have had 4g and 3g since yesterday.

Yep. I'm confirming that the overlay setting no longer works since things have moved. Think I've got it narrowed down now, just need to get it into an overlay (and not hardcoded :) ) if it works, and I'll post a build.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Just tried this ROM out. Running great other than the bugs everyone else is having. I wish GPS worked. Google now isnt as cool without it.

EDIT: I think I have GPS working now all of a sudden. Maybe it was those additions to the build.prop posted earlier. Those changes didn't give me 4G though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rushead

fairct

Mar 16, 2011
Maryville
Just tried this ROM out. Running great other than the bugs everyone else is having. I wish GPS worked. Google now isnt as cool without it.

GPS works fine for me... Google Now shows my location with the weather, and maps appears to lock on. I haven't actually tried it for navigation, though.

On a side note, I'm uploading a new build.
Fixes: 4G! at least from what I can tell, I tracked down the issue (it's a RIL bug that was in 4.3 that CM and others fixed, I just had to find the new places to fix it). If you never changed the network mode, 4G should have worked ok. This makes it so that you can change to 3G and then back to 4G, as many times as you like :)
Dictionary: now you can save new words, provided your language is english. If non-english speakers out there are using this build, I can look into pulling in those files as well.
Gesture-typing: I don't recall if the original upload had it, but this one does
Lock-screen: the navbar and statusbar are now transparent on the lockscreen.

Let me know if you don't see these things, or experience (new) bugs! You can dirty-flash this over the previous one; I've been installing GAPPS every time I dirty-flash, but it may not be necessary. YMMV!

Linky: http://d-h.st/jBF

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's a stock build of 4.4 for Toro that I'm trying right now. I've tried WiFi, 4G, 3G, gps, and bluetooth. Still a little flakey, and some graphics glitches. MAKE A BACKUP!

I've heard others having issues flashing in older versions of recoveries, so it'd be best to upgrade to the newest CWM.

Credit goes to steven676 for the proper tuna fixes to get WiFi working nicely, as well as other fixes. https://github.com/steven676/android_device_samsung_tuna/

Without further ado...
    ROM: http://d-h.st/jBF
    GAPPS: http://d-h.st/EIM
    Changelog: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47091778&postcount=39

GAPPS were taken from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507846.

Also, credit to CM for their proprietary repos.

GPS works fine for me... Google Now shows my location with the weather, and maps appears to lock on. I haven't actually tried it for navigation, though.

On a side note, I'm uploading a new build.
    Fixes: 4G! at least from what I can tell, I tracked down the issue (it's a RIL bug that was in 4.3 that CM and others fixed, I just had to find the new places to fix it). If you never changed the network mode, 4G should have worked ok. This makes it so that you can change to 3G and then back to 4G, as many times as you like :)
    Dictionary: now you can save new words, provided your language is english. If non-english speakers out there are using this build, I can look into pulling in those files as well.
    Gesture-typing: I don't recall if the original upload had it, but this one does
    Lock-screen: the navbar and statusbar are now transparent on the lockscreen.

Let me know if you don't see these things, or experience (new) bugs! You can dirty-flash this over the previous one; I've been installing GAPPS every time I dirty-flash, but it may not be necessary. YMMV!

Linky: http://d-h.st/jBF
    Will this follow PA or is this going to be a standalone?

This is just a stopgap. I didn't see any just stock aosp builds, so I provided one.

Yep. I'm confirming that the overlay setting no longer works since things have moved. Think I've got it narrowed down now, just need to get it into an overlay (and not hardcoded :) ) if it works, and I'll post a build.
    Hey, nice job! Glad to see more devs working on this. Keep it up! :D