Artwork on Google Music and Lockscreen is blurry

Search This thread

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
I dont get it, when I use Google Music the albums artwork looks a little blurry , which is annoying since the album art takes over 70% of the music app, now with Kit Kat we have the album cover taking over the lockscreen, actually it becomes the wallpaper when we're listening something , still looks blurry.

What size does Google uses for these images? I make sure my albums have HQ album covers, at least 900x900 and they still look blurry, maybe it's an android issue?

Hell even the kit kat promo showing off the new lockscreen looks blurry :eek:

art.jpg

Last edited:

Tomatot-

May 11, 2012
OnePlus 6
I dont get it, when I use Google Music the albums artwork looks a little blurry , which is annoying since the album art takes over 70% of the music app, now with Kit Kat we have the album cover taking over the lockscreen, actually it becomes the wallpaper when we're listening something , still looks blurry, what size does Google uses for these images? I make sure my albums have HQ album covers, at least 900x900 and they still look blurry, maybe it's an android issue? hell even the kit kat promos showing off the new lockscreen looks blurry :eek:

art.jpg

With my N4 most of ths covers seem clean. Maybe because of Full HD

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
music i got from play music all access covers are sharp and clear, maybe 900x900 being stretched over 1920x1080 is causing them to become blurry? since the system is also cropping and zooming the image to fit as well...

maybe try 1024x1024? or 1200x1200?

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
music i got from play music all access covers are sharp and clear, maybe 900x900 being stretched over 1920x1080 is causing them to become blurry? since the system is also cropping and zooming the image to fit as well...

maybe try 1024x1024? or 1200x1200?

Lately I've been using 1200x1200 and they still look blurry, also album covers can't be 1920x1080 because the aspect ratio is totally different , I made a couple of caps, check out the text where it says CHVRCHES on caps (yellow), it looks blurry. it doesn't look that bad on the phone but still it's quite noticeable :(

13+-+2

13+-+1

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
that looks more like compression artifacts than blurryness or a cropping issue. do you have the original image to compare against? but it looks like google is compressing the image and that's the cause for the poor quality.

is that file stored on your phone locally or are you streaming it?

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
that looks more like compression artifacts than blurryness or a cropping issue. do you have the original image to compare against? but it looks like google is compressing the image and that's the cause for the poor quality.

is that file stored on your phone locally or are you streaming it?

This is the original image, which looks perfect on my mac :( , the files are stored on my phone, no streaming whatsoever :crying:

CHVRCHES_ALBUMpackshot.jpg

andluk

Nov 28, 2013
This is the original image, which looks perfect on my mac :( , the files are stored on my phone, no streaming whatsoever :crying:

CHVRCHES_ALBUMpackshot.jpg

i'm also not fine with the quality of the lock screen album art. i hope it will be able to chose the zoom. I personally don't like to see just this small area of the album art. i prefer black bars top and bottom and seeing the full album art than this crappy quality half of the album art :(
any chances to change the album art size?

Last edited:

Badd_blood

Dec 24, 2011
For perfect album art quality on the lockscreen you need it to be 1920x1920 or larger.

Is there any way to stop the full screen album art in kitkat?

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim
Just Google the most high res version of all your covera like I do. I stream them and they usually look perfect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dj96

Mar 29, 2013
Bangalore
I have a S3 on kitkat, but I get the same problem :(
Some of the album art pics are larger than the screen resolution, but it still appears blurry...

I still haven't found a fix for it.

*sigh* I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
For perfect album art quality on the lockscreen you need it to be 1920x1920 or larger.

Is there any way to stop the full screen album art in kitkat?

are you sure 1920x1920 I think album covers have a different aspect ratio, I don't know which one is it but i downloaded a 1920x1920 file and compared to an album cover over 1900 and they have different aspect ratios :(

Badd_blood

Dec 24, 2011
are you sure 1920x1920 I think album covers have a different aspect ratio, I don't know which one is it but i downloaded a 1920x1920 file and compared to an album cover over 1900 and they have different aspect ratios :(

Yes, album arts have an aspect ratio of 1:1, they are a square. In Kitkat it zooms in the album art fullscreen though.

Tip: I found that going into my Play Music library on the computer I can edit album info and google gives suggested artwork that is very high quality.

Reactions: El Daddy

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Yes, album arts have an aspect ratio of 1:1, they are a square. In Kitkat it zooms in the album art fullscreen though.

Tip: I found that going into my Play Music library on the computer I can edit album info and google gives suggested artwork that is very high quality.

I didn't know they added that feature. Last time I tried to organize my library it wasn't there. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.