[MOD] 4.3 Tether Unlock MJ7 & MK2 + enable all toggles (1/20/14)

Search This thread

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've got all the Knox apps froze what are names of the 4 Verizon security apps?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not sure Im not on MJ7 to check. But im going to add the below text to the OP soon, its the method I told N3 users to use and it has resulted in far less errors than my script.

Download the framework-res.apk in the OP (the one that says for developers) then copy it to /system first then change its permissions to rw-r--r-- (chmod 644) and then MOVE it to /system/framework and overwrite framework-res.apk

Simply copy and pasting will cause you to boot loop so instead move it to /system first and change the permissions then and only then move it to /system/framework/ and overwrite the original

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Zelmo88

STEyeAndroid

Aug 23, 2010
Not sure Im not on MJ7 to check. But im going to add the below text to the OP soon, its the method I told N3 users to use and it has resulted in far less errors than my script.

Download the framework-res.apk in the OP (the one that says for developers) then copy it to /system first then change its permissions to rw-r--r-- (chmod 644) and then MOVE it to /system/framework and overwrite framework-res.apk

Simply copy and pasting will cause you to boot loop so instead move it to /system first and change the permissions then and only then move it to /system/framework/ and overwrite the original

On MJ7 all I had to do is freeze the Knox apps in Titanium Backup and it worked. Any reason why I should un-freeze the Knox apps?

Surge, you're smart. :) Thanks for making this happen!

Reactions: Surge1223

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008
Nice little mod! Keep up the great work!

I was wondering if anyone knows of an effort to either use this on the AT&T version or a similar effort for AT&T phones. I have a Galaxy S3 on AT&T (i747) and have been unable to tether since the 4.3 upgrade.

Thanks!

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk 4

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm still on MJ7 and this mod works very well. Do I need to undo the mod before upgrading to mk2 or ML1?

Yeah you wont be able to go to MK2 with this mod enabled, the ota will fail. You'll have to revert to the stock framework-res.apk before taking the ota

FMinMI

Jul 21, 2011
Mid Michigan
Hello all,

Just moved from my rooted/unlocked S3 running Root66 to a brand new S4 which had MJ7 installed. I really need to tether but after reading all the posts in this thread its a no-go for me since my S4 is not rooted. And from what I read elsewhere, no one has been able to root MJ7, correct?

Someone said FoxFI does work but no one else confirmed. Was hoping someone else would do that (or suggest another way to tether) until there is a way to root MJ7. Any comments would be appreciated as well as the best forum to watch the discussion on rooting MJ7...

Thanks, and happy holidays to all.

Frank
Michigan

Zelmo88

Aug 10, 2011
Arizona
Just used the "alternate version" to get tethering back on my rooted MK2. Worked like a charm! Thanks for the great work Surge!

darker_slayer

Nov 30, 2013
I really need to tether but after reading all the posts in this thread its a no-go for me since my S4 is not rooted. And from what I read elsewhere, no one has been able to root MJ7, correct?

Someone said FoxFI does work but no one else confirmed. Was hoping someone else would do that (or suggest another way to tether) until there is a way to root MJ7. Any comments would be appreciated as well as the best forum to watch the discussion on rooting MJ7...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

I'd use the method in this thread. Stuff like foxfi, pdanet, jbwifitether, etc (whatever the current working one is) might not be any worse on battery life, but coming from an iphone long ago the jailbreak wifi tether app hacks were always worse on battery life. Stock tethering seems like the OEM put *some* effort into optimizing battery performance. Any way saferoot should do the trick

Reactions: FMinMI

Arsenic1234

Jan 21, 2009
Can confirm with the .apk properly loaded into framework I got my recently rooted MK2 to work with built in wifi tether no problem.
Thanks for the guidance-

FMinMI

Jul 21, 2011
Mid Michigan
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

I'd use the method in this thread. Stuff like foxfi, pdanet, jbwifitether, etc (whatever the current working one is) might not be any worse on battery life, but coming from an iphone long ago the jailbreak wifi tether app hacks were always worse on battery life. Stock tethering seems like the OEM put *some* effort into optimizing battery performance. Any way saferoot should do the trick

Went to the link you provided and rooted my phone no problem. Will start looking for a good tether program now that works with a rooted 4.3.

Thanks.

Frank

FMinMI

Jul 21, 2011
Mid Michigan
Please let us know if Foxfi works.... from what I have heard it should.

Yes, it did work, however it was quirky. Sometimes my laptop will not connect and I have to turn it off and on. And then there is a time limit unless you buy the full version. That is why I pursued the root option. But then when I went to use WIFI Tether for Rooted phones, it didn't work. Crap...

Back to the play store to find one for 4.3 rooted S4s...

Cheers.

Frank

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Please let us know if Foxfi works.... from what I have heard it should.

Yes, it did work, however it was quirky. Sometimes my laptop will not connect and I have to turn it off and on. And then there is a time limit unless you buy the full version. That is why I pursued the root option. But then when I went to use WIFI Tether for Rooted phones, it didn't work. Crap...

Back to the play store to find one for 4.3 rooted S4s...

Cheers.

Frank

Wait so are you both saying my solution didnt work for you guys? If not mind telling me what didnt work so I can try to see what the problem was? I havent had anyone complain of any issues for awhile now (most posts have been people confirming its working)

FMinMI

Jul 21, 2011
Mid Michigan
Wait so are you both saying my solution didnt work for you guys? If not mind telling me what didnt work so I can try to see what the problem was? I havent had anyone complain of any issues for awhile now (most posts have been people confirming its working)

I tried it maybe 5 times over the past 2 days. What happened twice was that when I started up my laptop (with Win7 SP1) which already was 'programmed' to connect to my S4 via FoxFI, it did not connect to the internet - I ended up with a ! in the network icon. To fix it, I had to stop and then restart FoxFI. And one time the connection was very slow (560kps) despite a solid 4G connection. (BTW, that same laptop with my rooted S3 and WIFI tether for Rooted phones never had a single failure in over a year).

Now statistically 5 data points sucks to base decisions on but I was strapped for time to get it working. And when I found an easy way to root the phone, I decided to go that way...

When I get some more time I might go back and revisit the app and consider buying the full version. Maybe the issue is the random time limit in the free version -- maybe the failure was due to its 'random timing out limit' being right after it started. I don't know how it was programmed.

Any way, thanks for the suggestions. I was going to root the phone sooner or later to get rid of the VZN crapware and this pushed me to doing it now.

Cheers.

Frank

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Sorry Surge1223 - I got messed up with who I was talking to.

I have NOT tried your procedure yet as I didn't have a rooted phone. I was going to try that next. I got you confused with the person who said to use FoxFI since my S4 was NOT rooted yet.

Frank

swc2001

Dec 9, 2010

No I am on ME7 awaiting SS from Hash..... and am trying to find out what I gotta do to get WiFi with Foxfi going. I have bought the full version. You can also use this version for reliability..... please only use this if you have bought the app though:
https://www.mediafire.com/?99p6yqmt93ey8yd
This should help.

Reactions: dunderhead

bkott425

Aug 19, 2011
I'm having a problem with permissions, I can't mount to run the script. Can anyone post the adb script to mount and change permissions?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Enable all toggles + unlock native Tethering

If you have Safestrap installed and are on a MK2 or MJ7 rom/build you can flash the corresponding zip below and you will unlock native built-in tethering and also get all the toggles including the usually absent Wifi Hotspot toggle. Both versions have been tested and confirmed to be work. This also enables all the missing toggles, not only the Wifi Hotspot toggle. Toggle issue = solved. If you don't have Safestrap then let me know, I'll write up a script to do the same thing if needed.

@Scottchy014 made an awesome video of the process that you can watch here

Devs/Modders/Themers - You can use my script without my permission and you don't need to give me credit. I don't do this for ego/pride I'm already narcissistic enough as it is.

I545VRUFNC5_Tether_unlock_&_toggle.zip
    md5:690b28f995fe7b33d2f1407a25b1abea

MJ7 Tether unlock w/ toggle
    md5:b382d98e112adc5e48c7b37b2bb4bd6a

MK2 Tether unlock w/ toggle
    md5:12e3eab158521d355ddd3956f340cf70

Verizon Galaxy S4 VRUEMJ7 Tether unlock

Unlocks WifiHotspot, USB Tether, and Bluetooth
    Developed by Surge1223
    11/02/2013

Please read the instructions; accidents while flashing framework-res.apk can and do happen and those mistakes lead to having to use full Odin restore tars. I almost made open1your1eyes0 brick had he not caught my mistake in the code. Luckily he was nice enough to test again, luckily that one worked

Instructions:

(Try the alternate method below first, it seems to work with less errors, but if you insist on using the script then FOR MK2 replace all instances of "MJ7" below with "MK2")

1. Extract MJ7_tether_unlock.zip and move the MJ7_tether_unlock folder to the root
    of your micro sdcard so the structure looks like this: /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/
    also make sure you have busybox installed and are using SuperSu and not the chinese superuser.
    Finally, before continuing, remember to disable the Knox apps (5 I believe?) and security apps (the 4 VZW security apps) install busybox, remove the Chinese superuser, update SuperSu's binaries, enable usb debugging and under security disable verify apps while enabling unknown sources.

2. Download terminal emulator then type the following in terminal:

Code:
    su
    cd /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/
    sh tether.sh
    3. After that your phone should reboot, and tethering should be unlocked! Also a copy of your original framework-res.apk
    can be found in the following directory /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/orig-framework-res.apk

4. To restore back to your original framework-res.Code:apk, (i.e, relock tethering) then type the following in terminal:

Code:
    su
    cd /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/
    sh untether.sh
    Downloads

MJ7
    Download the zip here
    Alternate link:
    Mirror
    MD5
    : 029780a103ab8fb4929bb83b2270d6ef
    To download just the modded MJ7 framework-res.apk click here

MK2

Download the zip here
    MD5
    :
    ed0e0f974d7d8720690b8eb96461b5f3
    To download just the modded
    MK2 framework-res.apk click here

ALTERNATE METHOD

DO NOT RENAME the original framework-res.apk file! You will have to use an Odin tar to recover!
    1.Download the modded framework-res.apk from here for MJ7 or here for MK2 then copy it to /system first then change framework-res.apk's permissions to rw-r--r-- (chmod 644) and then MOVE it to /system/framework and overwrite framework-res.apk. Then reboot and you should have tethering!

The Mod itself:

This is from the original arrays.xml

Code:
    Code: 

usb\\d
            rndis\\d

wlan0

bt-pan
       [color=red] [/color]

[color=red]com.samsung.spg
            com.samsung.spg.NewSPGActivity[/color]

This is the modified arrays.xml
    Code:
    Code

usb\\d
            rndis\\d

wlan0

bt-pan

[COLOR=Lime]7[/COLOR]

Give credit to @open1your1eyes0 for testing the second build after I screwed up the first just his input on the shell script and mod in general. Thanks internet, specifically this page. Also @Sir_Eagle for the MK2 framework-res.apk
    I found a way to add the hotspot toggle with these steps and see pics

TB Restore fixer fixes where it won't let you open the settings.storage

Go to settings.storage then system and follow pics.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Hi Bizmaniz,

Can you elaborate on this a bit for us n00bs? I've successfully used Towelroot and installed Supersu. How do I install busybox? (safely) and which safestrap version did you install? Is there a link to the terminal command?

Thanks!!

Okay so I got brave and answered my own questions.

From stock Galaxy S4 with NC5 update, using the following download:
    http://click.xda-developers.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_14060473045856&key=f0a7f91912ae2b52e0700f73990eb321&libId=4ce4aa1c-4ecd-4f46-b32a-2f2cb57facb8&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2512981%26highlight%3Ds4%26page%3D30&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fd-h.st%2FeRV&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D54168690%26highlight%3Ds4&title=%5BMOD%5D%204.3%20Tether%20Unlock%20MJ7%20%26%20MK2%20%2B%20enab%E2%80%A6%20-%20Pg.%2030%20%7C%20Verizon%20Galaxy%20S4%20%7C%20XDA%20Forum&txt=I545VRUFNC5_Tether_unlock_%26amp%3B_toggle.zip

1) Use Towelroot.com to root phone
    2) Install Supersu from the play store. Open it, install update, and reboot. (I had to reboot twice for some reason before this worked)
    3) Confirm root with Root checker basic app from play store. (optional)
    4) Install Busybox from Play store
    -Open Busybox and click install. Should work with the new root privileges.
    5) Copy the framework-res.apk file from the NC5 download above located in /system/framework, to the SDcard in a folder called NC5. (Renam the file to NC5framework-res.apk)
    6) Install a Terminal Emulator from the play store and open it. Use the following commands.

Note: This does back up the original framework in case you want to go back to stock again. Do these in the order listed!!
    All commands below are CaSe SeNsAtIvE

a) su
    b) busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
    c) busybox cp /system/framework/framework-res.apk /mnt/extSdCard/NC5/NC5orig-framework-res.apk
    d) busybox cp /mnt/extSdCard/NC5/NC5framework-res.apk /system/NC5framework-res.apk
    e) busybox chmod 644 /system/NC5framework-res.apk
    f) busybox mv /system/NC5framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    g) reboot

I now have the latest 4.4.2 update with working tether!! Big thanks for everyone's hard work!!!
    what's chmod 644?? I've been around a while but I never heard that before?

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Note 3

When people say"push the app to /system and then change permissions" the permissions they are referring to is setting chmod the app to 644 which is setting the permissions for the owner, group and others.

chmod 644 = rw-r--r--

Owners -6 = read and write
    Group - 4 = read only
    Others -4 = read only

Number convention:

4 = read only
    2 = write only
    4 + 2 = 6
    6 = read and write

5 = read and execute
    5+2 =7
    7= read, write and execute

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
    I don't have safestrap any other way to get it done

Well aside from installing safestrap 3.72? Sure just extract the framework-res.apk from the zip (located in the zip system/framework folder) move/copy the framework-res.apk to /system, set the permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--) then MOVE (do not copy and paste) the framework-res.apk from /system to /system/framework and overwrite the old framework-res.apk. Then reboot.