Or Continue to Thread: [Q] Bricked hardware or system…
Find Your Device:
4th January 2014, 07:22 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3,206

7,088 posts
If the phone won't boot at all, no download/recovery & not detected when you connect to PC, it's cactus, I'm afraid. Having said that, search for KingRat's 'jumpstart' method where you can try to get the phone going with just the charger/minus the battery. Unlikely to work, but you might as well try it.

Why did it happen ? Impossible to say. You were running custom firmware, so it isn't the brickbug. Many people seemed to curiously begin having hardware issues (dead WiFi, dead USB ports, dead headphone jacks, damage caused by moisture exposure taking a long time to start having effects) with this phone as it approached/went past the two year mark (I was one of these people as well).

I guess you could try a new battery & replace the USB board/port which is relatively cheap to do, but that could still leave you with a non-working phone & money spent that you didn't need to spend. More likely you need to replace the motherboard; a Samsung service centre will charge you a fair bit (mostly for labour) to put a new board in, you can source a 2nd hand board more cheaply online (Google search/eBay/Swappa) & either replace it yourself, or pay a local mobile repair shop to do the swap.