accessing files with cracked screen

Search This thread

nabril15

A few weeks ago I rooted my ATT 800o phone, and even attempted to install TWRP. It gave me a compatibility error with 800o so forgot about TWRP. A week ago, the phone fell and the screen cracked, rendering the phone useless. It works perfectly fine, but I cannot enter the pin code since the digitazer is probably broken.

I tried LG PC suite and LG OPS or OTS (I forgot), and it doesnt see any USB device connected. I believe I left the phone in JUST CHARGE USB mode.
I need to access some files on the internal SD card, so I ask for suggestions on what to try next.
Assuming I can get it in download mode, which I should be able to, should I flash the stock LG firmware (800d) and then try to get into it that way? Will that wipe the files of the sd card (pics, application data, etc)?

clapper66

Apr 17, 2013
A few weeks ago I rooted my ATT 800o phone, and even attempted to install TWRP. It gave me a compatibility error with 800o so forgot about TWRP. A week ago, the phone fell and the screen cracked, rendering the phone useless. It works perfectly fine, but I cannot enter the pin code since the digitazer is probably broken.

I tried LG PC suite and LG OPS or OTS (I forgot), and it doesnt see any USB device connected. I believe I left the phone in JUST CHARGE USB mode.
I need to access some files on the internal SD card, so I ask for suggestions on what to try next.
Assuming I can get it in download mode, which I should be able to, should I flash the stock LG firmware (800d) and then try to get into it that way? Will that wipe the files of the sd card (pics, application data, etc)?

Are you going to send the phone in for repair? If you going to be paying for the phone out of your own pocket why worry?

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app

nyorbee

Aug 31, 2011

I had the same problem, but I manage to use LG on screen app. But never mind, I sent my phone to LG, of course I paid for broken screen (now I have ballistics case, I hope it will be enough for future impacts), But I include a note with the phone and wrote that LG will only replace screen but not delete any data or reinstall soft, and they did ;) I revived my phone in the same state as I send them, but screen was new of course ;)

Wysłane z mojego LG-D802 przy użyciu Tapatalka

clapper66

Apr 17, 2013
I just thought of this do you have an OTG cable?if you do you can plug a mouse in and use it to get around the phone and put the phone in and set it to when you plug in a USB cable it go to USB file mode

clapper66

Apr 17, 2013
What is an otg cable? Sorry

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

an OTG cable is a USB cable witch plugs in your phone but has a female end on it to allow you use things like a keyboard mouse USB drive controller etc.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
@ clapper66, I don't understand how otg cable can help in his case.

@ OP, if you're in luck which OnScreen Phone feature has been ON as well as wireless, you then can use OSP with wireless mode.
Other than that, I don't know any way to mimic your phone on another display.
Worst case, send out to repair.

Reactions: nabril15

clapper66

Apr 17, 2013

@ OP, if you're in luck which OnScreen Phone feature has been ON as well as wireless, you then can use OSP with wireless mode.

His screen is not broken the digitizer is cracked so the screen works but does not recognize touch. So of he uses an otg cable with a mouse then he can go under setting then go to PC connection then select MTP mode so that when he connects a USB Cale that's plugged into his PC it will show all the internal storage of his phone and get all his files off that he needs.

Reactions: fr4nk1yn

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
His screen is not broken the digitizer is cracked so the screen works but does not recognize touch. So of he uses an otg cable with a mouse then he can go under setting then go to PC connection then select MTP mode so that when he connects a USB Cale that's plugged into his PC it will show all the internal storage of his phone and get all his files off that he needs.

Got it.
I thought he has the black-screen LG

nabril15

Clapper
Your suggestion is sneaky, underhanded and mischevious, and i like it.
Where might I casually find an otg cable?

I will probably sell the phone as is, so i'd like to avoid spending to fix it.

clapper66

Apr 17, 2013
Clapper

Well I know you can buy them online that's where I got mine, but I would check at some electronics store like RadioShack or bestbuy and maybe wall mart I think there like $5 to $10 or even go to your carrier. I ordered one of amazon for like $2 but it took like 2 weeks to arrive because it came from China.

fr4nk1yn

Aug 1, 2008
Norfolk
Great idea on the otg cable! I have one and didn't think of it!

BTW, screen repair is running $146. I saw it mentioned in threads and that's what they charged.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

clapper66

Apr 17, 2013
Clapper
I clap to you. I know, cheesy.
What is the cable officially called?

Otg cable?

It called a OTG cable witch is short for on the go cable also this is what they look like.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390177897892.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390177897892.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 41

nabril15

clapper/votinh/whomever

Thank you for the idea of the cable, but I want to try something first. I want to flash it clean so as to remove the exchange pin and hopefully get into it that way. I want to possibly sell the phone, so I have to wipe it anyway. If I don't recover the files, not a big deal (i hope...).
My thinking is...flash it back to stock clean, and see if I can change the USB connection parameters enough to connect. Then I can recover my files, and then maybe I can sell it. It is presently rooted without recovery. How do I flash it back to stock?

clapper66

Apr 17, 2013
clapper/votinh/whomever

Thank you for the idea of the cable, but I want to try something first. I want to flash it clean so as to remove the exchange pin and hopefully get into it that way. I want to possibly sell the phone, so I have to wipe it anyway. If I don't recover the files, not a big deal (i hope...).
My thinking is...flash it back to stock clean, and see if I can change the USB connection parameters enough to connect. Then I can recover my files, and then maybe I can sell it. It is presently rooted without recovery. How do I flash it back to stock?

If you dont mind losing the files then this would work fine

http://m.youtube.com/user/Tomsgt123?desktop_uri=/user/Tomsgt123

nabril15

claps

the link you posted is called "How to unlock the boot loader on your Motorola Device Moto X & Moto G"
Is that what you meant to send? If yes, will it wipe the internal card? In my experience in the past, unless you odin, most flashing rarely touches the contents of DCIM and sdcard.

clapper66

Apr 17, 2013
claps

the link you posted is called "How to unlock the boot loader on your Motorola Device Moto X & Moto G"
Is that what you meant to send? If yes, will it wipe the internal card? In my experience in the past, unless you odin, most flashing rarely touches the contents of DCIM and sdcard.

Woops LOL :p when I get on my laptop next class I will send you the correct l link

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

claps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqw_LFuyHbE

Ok Try this link called "How to Unbrick or Restore the LG G2 ATT Version"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Clapper

Well I know you can buy them online that's where I got mine, but I would check at some electronics store like RadioShack or bestbuy and maybe wall mart I think there like $5 to $10 or even go to your carrier. I ordered one of amazon for like $2 but it took like 2 weeks to arrive because it came from China.

Clapper
    I clap to you. I know, cheesy.
    What is the cable officially called?

Otg cable?

It called a OTG cable witch is short for on the go cable also this is what they look like.

clapper/votinh/whomever