Hacking the new Nook GlowLight

Search This thread

ErikMunoz

Jan 8, 2014
Reynosa
Smsung solved

Well, I'm confused with this Samsung driver stuff.
When does it show this?
See, the bootloader for the Nook is a TI OMAP bootloader and it's totally different, so it can't be showing it then, even if you did load some Samsung driver.
If you ever see something in Device Manager that says "Samsung", click on "Update Driver" and select the extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf that you modified.

i've deleted all samsung trail of my computer(drivers and registry) and now i can see my device as "Android Device" and " Android Bootloader interface" which is good, i've tried again the command getting the same results:

Code:
Error 0000001F reading response, read 0 bytes

i was hoping the driver issue could solve it.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
I really think that there is something about x-loader that does not agree with your Nook.

Run omaplink with just one filename.
Try all the files that have aboot in their name and all the files that have x-loader in their name.

I don't believe that I've heard it confirmed from any NG2 loader that x-loader has worked.
The original success on NG2 was with aboot.

Unrelated, just for your reference, here is the complete partitioning scheme:
Code:
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 3909 MB, 3909091328 bytes
128 heads, 32 sectors/track, 1864 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4096 * 512 = 2097152 bytes

Partition  Format  Id  Start  End   Size (bytes)   Mount
---------  ------  --  -----  ----  -------------  --------
Total                     1   1864  3,909,091,328
MBR                       1                16,384
mmcblk0p1   vfat   0c     1+    38     79,675,392  /boot
mmcblk0p2   vfat   0c    39     46     16,777,216  /rom
mmcblk0p3   ext2   83    47    141    199,229,440  /factory
mmcblk0p4          05   142   1864  3,613,392,896
mmcblk0p5   ext2   83   142    285    301,989,888  /system
mmcblk0p6   vfat   0c   286    539    532,676,608  /media
mmcblk0p7   ext3   83   540    659    251,658,240  /cache
mmcblk0p8   ext3   83   660    791    276,824,064  ???
mmcblk0p9   ext3   83   792   1864  2,250,244,096  /data

Last edited:

ErikMunoz

Jan 8, 2014
Reynosa
got it

I really think that there is something about x-loader that does not agree with your Nook.

Run omaplink with just one filename.
Try all the files that have aboot in their name and all the files that have x-loader in their name.

I don't believe that I've heard it confirmed from any NG2 loader that x-loader has worked.
The original success on NG2 was with aboot.

Unrelated, just for your reference, here is the complete partitioning scheme:
Code:
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 3909 MB, 3909091328 bytes
128 heads, 32 sectors/track, 1864 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4096 * 512 = 2097152 bytes

Partition  Format  Id  Start  End   Size (bytes)   Mount
---------  ------  --  -----  ----  -------------  --------
Total                     1   1864  3,909,091,328
MBR                       1                16,384
mmcblk0p1   vfat   0c     1+    38     79,675,392  /boot
mmcblk0p2   vfat   0c    39     46     16,777,216  /rom
mmcblk0p3   ext2   83    47    141    199,229,440  /factory
mmcblk0p4          05   142   1864  3,613,392,896
mmcblk0p5   ext2   83   142    285    301,989,888  /system
mmcblk0p6   vfat   0c   286    539    532,676,608  /media
mmcblk0p7   ext3   83   540    659    251,658,240  /cache
mmcblk0p8   ext3   83   660    791    276,824,064  ???
mmcblk0p9   ext3   83   792   1864  2,250,244,096  /data

i've followed the instruccions of here http://bbs.cooldu.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=680 and now i got Fastboot access, but google translator is not good whit chinesse :p , i don't know hot to edit the uRamdisk.

Now i'm waiting for ADB but i don't know how to continue.

attachment.php

Why my devices is showed as Gossamer?

Note:
The files that i used with a-boot seems like old files from here.

Attachments

• OTROBOOT.png
    OTROBOOT.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 898
Last edited:

usenothing

Apr 16, 2012
It looks like they create /sdcard in init.rc like the other nooks do but don't have that linked to anywhere.
Code:
    export EXTERNAL_STORAGE /sdcard
    export INTERNAL_STORAGE /media
    export BN_PURCHASED_CONTENT /data/media
This will probably cause problems with many apps that want to store things on /sdcard
As I've said already, the best solution is to make /data on mmcblk1p8 like the older nooks and make /sdcard on mmcblk1p9
The relative sizes depends on what you want to do.

hi.
500 M is enough for me, and i donot have the need to adjust the "500 M" space.
I just want to know how to achieve "the best choice" you mentioned. Is it the code you quoted in this relpy?

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

Renate

The snippet of code that I posted above is from the NG2 init.rc in uRamdisk.
It just was meant to show the intended storage usage.

Your Nook should run similarly to a Nook Touch without any SD card inserted.
I'm not sure if any apps dislike having no SD card.
They have to store their stuff in the corresponding /data/data/com.example.app/ directory.

It looks right now that there are some problems using the x-loader method with the NG2.
If an NG2 owner has gotten x-loader to work with either Linux or Windows we'd like to know.
For now, use the omap3_aboot.bin with u-boot
The later versions of omaplink.exe support both aboot and x-loader methods

There are 3 possible things to boot, noogie, Clockwork Mod or stock Nook.
As far as I know, only noogie has been successfully booted on a NG2.

If you are an NG2 owner and just want to get it rooted, follow the instructions in this thread using omap3_aboot.bin, u-boot, noogie_image, noogie_ramdisk.
Then modify uRamdisk on the NG2 /boot partition using bootutil.exe and a Unix-style editor on init.rc

straygecko has said that he will eventually be working on trying to get x-loader running better on NG2.

usenothing

Apr 16, 2012
I achieved "running adb" two weeks ago.
1. The result of "mount" :
Code:
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /rom vfat rw,sync,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmas
k=0117,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,errors=rem
ount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system ext2 ro,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=contin
ue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /cache ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=conti
nue,data=ordered 0 0

2.You said we have three ways to boot.
If ,if we want to boot with CWM mode, what arguments should I use?
I tried
Code:
omaplink x-load-ng2-130-stk.bin u-boot-ng2-130-stk.bin uImage-ng2-130-stk uRamdisk-noogie
one week about ago, and it didn't work (I cannot remember the error hint,sorry) .

Great!

Could you copy/paste the results of this command:
Code:
adb shell mount
I think I'm confused about what is normally mounted in the NG2.
I didn't see any mention of mmcblk0p6 or mmcblk0p8 in the previous posts from others.

Renate

So that dump of mount is what you get on your NG2 when it's happily running the stock reader software?
I'm confused.
When you have your NG2 connected over USB do you see two removable disks on your PC?
What is on these disks? What is the volume label?

I can boot up CWM using bootloader methods easily.
The problem is that the NG2 has a different screen resolution and needs a different CWM.
Without the screen working correctly, all you get out of using CWM is the use of ADB.

Neither straygecko or I have a NG2, so in some ways we've been lucky to get this far.

usenothing

Apr 16, 2012
When I connect my Nook to PC with USB, I can only open one "removable disk" ('J' in my PC), although I can see another "removable disk" in "my computer"( 'K' in my PC, it's called 'boot' and can be opened in the process of rooting, not now).
In 'J', I can see all my books I have transfered.
When Iconnect my Nook to PC with usb cable, it's on "USB mode" defaultly . At this time, "adb" works finely, but, I cannot read any books with the Nook hint——You may now safely move files from your PC to your NOOK: please properly eject NOOK from your computer to avoid file transfer problems.

Thanks you and straygecko for all your work. I know we are lucky to get all this ,but ,we should mostly give the credit to

your works ,not "luck".
So that dump of mount is what you get on your NG2 when it's happily running the stock reader software?
I'm confused.
When you have your NG2 connected over USB do you see two removable disks on your PC?
What is on these disks? What is the volume label?

I can boot up CWM using bootloader methods easily.
The problem is that the NG2 has a different screen resolution and needs a different CWM.
Without the screen working correctly, all you get out of using CWM is the use of ADB.

Neither straygecko or I have a NG2, so in some ways we've been lucky to get this far.

Renate

Oh, alright, silly me.

mmcblk0p6 is mounted on /media by vold.
When you are using ADB over USB, the UMS kicks in and unmounts /media from the Nook.

vold.conf does have stuff in it for mounting a (non-existent) SD card on /sdcard.

So the only mystery is what mmcblk0p8 is being saved for?

ErikMunoz

Jan 8, 2014
Reynosa
Sure

Great!

Could you copy/paste the results of this command:
Code:
adb shell mount
I think I'm confused about what is normally mounted in the NG2.
I didn't see any mention of mmcblk0p6 or mmcblk0p8 in the previous posts from others.

there you go :D
Sorry for my late response.

mount.jpg

Code:
C:\Users\JGR-AutoTriage-002\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell m
ount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /rom vfat rw,sync,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmas
k=0117,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,errors=rem
ount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system ext2 ro,errors=continue 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=contin
ue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /cache ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=conti
nue,data=ordered 0 0

C:\Users\JGR-AutoTriage-002\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools>

Edit:
i have 2 questions:

Question1:
if i could have a second NG2 could i use my modified uRamdisk on it? or i need to edit the files again?

Quiestion2:
to goes back ( unroot ) i need to replace the uramdisk with the original right?

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Reactions: Renate

Renate

A short recap of how to root the new NG2:

All of these methods use the Texas Instruments OMAP processor USB bootloader.

The desktop system that you connect the Nook to can be either Linux or Windows.
This only details the Windows method.

The bootloaded system can be either noogie or Clockwork Mod or a modified stock Nook.
For now, we are only using the noogie method.

The bootloading sequence can be either aboot, u-boot or x-loader, u-boot.
For now, we are only using the aboot, u-boot method.

Preparation
In Window, we need drivers to communicate with all USB devices.
The bnusbdriver.zip attached below is the modified stock driver.
Unzip it and when installing or re-installing select this driver manually.
Manually means saying, "No, I will select" until you get down to "Have disk" and select the specific directory.
The driver info is unsigned, although the drivers themselves are stock Windows.

Collect the necessary files.
omaplink.exe can be found in the signature below.
The four files can be downloaded here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49779966&postcount=285

Booting
Fully power your Nook down with the USB disconnected.
Run this command on the PC.
Code:
omaplink omap3_aboot.bin u-boot-ng2-exp-v03.bin uImage-ng2-130-stk uRamdisk-noogie
Plug the USB into the Nook.
Whenever a "New Device" popup appears manually select android_winusb.inf to be loaded then start this step over.
omaplink should get as far as "Waiting for ADB..."
It won't find it just yet, use ^C to exit.
At this point there should be a new removable disk mounted with a dozen files on it, including uRamdisk

Rooting
Follow the directions here for modifying uRamdisk http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49070213#post49070213
Reboot to a rooted Nook with ADB over USB access

Attachments

• bnusbdriver.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 3,070
Last edited:

kazem_aryan

Aug 19, 2010
Driver

The bootloaded system can be either noogie or Clockwork Mod or a modified stock Nook.

Preparation
You will need the drivers found in the Android SDK under google\extras\usb_driver
android_winusb.inf will need to be modified as in http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48596138&postcount=35

Booting
Collect the necessary files from the previous posts.
Code:
omaplink.exe omap3_aboot.bin u-boot-ng2-130-stk.bin uImage-noogie uRamdisk-noogie
Whenever a "New Device" popup appears manually select android_winusb.inf to be loaded then start this step over.
At this point there should be a new removable disk mounted with a dozen files on it, including uRamdisk

Rooting
Follow the directions here for modifying uRamdisk http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49070213#post49070213

Hi
in first step, i can't install driver! i tried in win xp sp3 & win 7
i can't find any location to find the driver
i try this locations :
G:\
<sdk>\extras\google\usb_driver\
google\extras\usb_driver
how can i download the INF driver file?! or have any other way to install the driver?!
ss.JPG
tnx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tarball for easy rooting with Linux

First of all, many thanks for your great work!

I created a collection of files that should make rooting the Nook with Linux a breeze. It contains the files needed to boot cwm using the x-loader-usb method provided by straygecko and a couple of scripts I mostly took from NookManager and modified according to my needs, plus (also from NookManager) the binary files to be installed on the Nook.

There are scripts to boot cwm, patch the uRamdisk for ADB, install busybox, su, ReLaunch, enable non-market apps, disable and re-enable all B&N apps, and some more.

There is also a script that patches the uRamdisk to make /sdcard a symlink to /data/media, since some apps (notably recent versions of CoolReader) need an SD card present to work properly and there is enough space at /data. I haven't encountered any problems with this approach yet. Comments are very much appreciated.

Last but not least there is a detailed README file. Make sure to read it carefully. It contains (among others) a section on how to setup ADB on Linux and, most importantly, tells you what the scripts do, how to use them, and whether they have any additional dependencies you need to install on your computer.

I used these scripts several times successfully to root my Nook and I hope they will be helpful for other people as well.

Edit 2014-02-04:
    • Add a script to check for necessary tools and libraries and document in the README
    • Add note about yiselieren's problems with USB 3.0 to the README
    • Add note about the libusb-0.1 dependency

Edit 2014-02-02: Update README: At one point it said "hyphens" where it should have said "quotes"

Preparation
    The bnusbdriver.zip attached below is the modified stock driver.
    Unzip it and when installing or re-installing select this driver manually.
    Manually means saying, "No, I will select" until you get down to "Have disk" and select the specific directory.
    The driver info is unsigned, although the drivers themselves are stock Windows.

Collect the necessary files.
    omaplink.exe can be found in the signature below.
    The four files can be downloaded here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49779966&postcount=285

Booting
    Code:
    omaplink omap3_aboot.bin u-boot-ng2-exp-v03.bin uImage-ng2-130-stk uRamdisk-noogie

Rooting
    I just got a new Nook GlowLight (NGL), and came here assuming I would find all sorts of wonderful information about rooting it, and cool hacks I could do to make it more usable. Imagine my surprise when I could only find a couple of threads about it at all, with almost zero information! Finding information is definitely hampered by the name of the device. Any time I google for Nook GlowLight, 99% of the results are instead about the completely different product, Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight. Frustrating!

Anyway, in an effort to get the ball rolling, I will post the little bit that I have been able to find out about my NGL.

I cannot seem to ADB into it. I plugged it in, but ADB does not recognize it. It shows up as a regular mass storage device. The USB VendorID is 2080, and the ProductID is 0007. There seems to be no information out there anywhere about 2080:0007, unfortunately.

I took the back cover off to see if there was a magical "press here to root" button. Sadly, there was not. Since there does not appear to be a NGL teardown annnnnnnnnnnnnywhere on the whole wide Interwebs, I took some amateur photos of mine to share. I didn't want to chance breaking it, as I can't really go and buy a new one right now, so it's not torn down to the individual components, sorry. Hopefully it will be enough to spark some ideas, at least.

I don't know much about hardware hacking, but I've heard about JTAG ports being used to get inside of plenty of Android devices. One of the things I noticed was four unmarked copper pads on the board. That seems about right, as apparently most JTAG interfaces have either 4 or 5 lines, plus Ground. I created a picture with the four unmarked pads + Ground marked.

I know it's not much, but hopefully this information will spark some ideas from people with more experience in cracking these devices! If anyone else has additional information to add, please post it here.
    Here's the files to boot Noogie on the NG2

I've been busy with business year-end stuff and haven't had time to look at this lately. Thanks to Renate for prodding me via PM to get the proper set of files together in one place as the bits and pieces are scattered throughout this thread. The attachment is the set of four files to use with Renate's omaplink to get your NG2 booted up into Noogie. This is for the aboot/fastboot method which seems to be the only reliable method right now. With this method you can get your boot partition mounted in Windows so you can make the necessary changes for root. But you will be unable to backup your entire nook storage. When I get a chance I'll see if I can get a reliable version of the x-load method working so you can do backups.

Use with omaplink like this:

OK, I sorted out how to compile the NST u-boot and applied the patches to it from the diff file provided in the Nook Color usb boot package. I ran into an issue where it won't work using virtualbox so I had to boot with a live CD to get the NST to boot over USB into CWM but it worked! ADB works fine but for some reason backup doesn't seem to work. It hangs on "Backing up boot...." - the first partition to backup. But ADB is a good start so you can explore your Nook Glowlight.

I looked at the kernel source for the Nook Glowlight and it has a different u-boot config. I'm not sure how different but I think the best next step will be to compile a Nook Glowlight u-boot before giving this a try on a new glowlight.