Epo file download fails

Search This thread

kapela86

Feb 28, 2013
I used Flashget but any download manager can download those files, it will be veeeery slow and it will retry multiple times but it will get them

petesimon

Aug 5, 2013
Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
Here are today's EPO files (cannot post clickable links yet, sorry): dropbox.com/sh/seba0avoaxfifut/-nHJfj-UWg
Has anyone tried contacting MediaTek over mediatek.com/_en/08_info/03_contactUS.php ?

Thanks for the file. Here is a mirror link from ge.tt service.
Contactt? No.
Funny! -- There is no "technology" option in the drop-down menu. on the 03_contactUS.php page, and I'm unsure of what to write in the message. I wonder if a mediatek official forum site exists...

Last edited:

simsalonaut

Oct 19, 2013
Heidelberg
Contactt? No.
Funny! -- There is no "technology" option in the drop-down menu. on the 03_contactUS.php page, and I'm unsure of what to write in the message. I wonder if a mediatek official forum site exists...

I selected Other and simply wrote something along the lines of:

Hello MediaTek team,
your ftp-server at epo.mediatek.com is virtually always down due to heavy traffic. Please fix this, as many users rely on the EPO data for their MediaTek GPS-decives to function properly. Thanks in advance!

XXX​

Maybe they will take notice if we spam them :cyclops:

Reactions: petesimon

Bill_Green

Jan 15, 2014
First post here so hi to everyone.

Having read through all the posts here, it seems that there are several different trains of thought as to the cause and remedy for this problem, mostly based on one individual’s findings on one specific device.
My company uses PDAs as part of a dispatching system for taxis and we use thousands of devices that possibly allows us to see a more representative picture.

The EPO file download does reliably fail on the vast majority of devices but if left connected, by the end of the day most will have received it. From this, we have to assume it’s simply the servers struggling to cope with the high levels of attempted downloads rather than incorrect settings, otherwise they would never ever download.

Secondly, we have observed that from within a factory fresh batch of 100 devices, up to 10% will not download however long they’re left trying. This leads us to believe that the internal settings on these devices must be wrong even though they are all part of the same batch. This would be consistent with an internal flag that has not been expressly set or cleared in the production process and hence its state is somewhat undefined.

In a recent batch of 100 alternative devices from a dubious supplier, only 10% eventually achieved the download with the rest being totally useless. Again this has all the hallmarks of an undefined setting.

In short, we believe that there are two distinct issues at play. The servers are massively congested so even with the permission flags correct it may still take a long time to download. If the permission flags are wrong, it will never ever download.

Sorry I’m no great teckie but hopefully this may give some food for thought.

Bill :)

c4460256

Jan 16, 2014
I did some testing and it seems that epo.mediatek.com resolves different IP addresses, not every time and I don't know how often, but I got different IP addresses from 124.219.30.163 to 124.219.30.168. Connecting to them takes some time and very often you can't connect to one but on second try you connect. So instead using epo.mediatek.com you can try using IP adress from that range. If one isn't working, try another.

Hi,
I noticed the maximum TTL for epo.mediatek.com is 30 second.
Then I've put the next script running for a day:
Code:
while true;
    do host epo.mediatek.com | tee -a -i epo.mediatek.com.log ;
    sleep 15;
done
After that I've filtered resulting file:
Code:
cat epo.mediatek.com.log | grep epo.mediatek.com | awk '{print $4}' | sort | uniq
And finally I got the list of all the current IPs for the host.

Looping through the list I was able to download EPO files and then put them on my device by hand.

muckelmaus

Jan 11, 2008
NRW
Best time for me to download from Germany is between 8.pm till 6.am MEZ.
MTK Engineering Mode Start from the play store is equal to mobileuncle to enter the Engineer Mode. The best tip I used is to edit gps.conf in system/etc to use the nearest ntp sever and some other tweaks that you can find here with the help of the search key.
You have to play around a bit, to figure out the best settings for your devices, but it is worth to do the work. About 2- 25sec to fix and 7-11 sats locked, that's fine with me.
OK, the accuracy could be better (approx.20m) and the hight above see level isn't correct, not mind blowing, but there isn't much desert or jungle around here. Good luck to you all.

simsalonaut

Oct 19, 2013
Heidelberg
Having read through all the posts here, it seems that there are several different trains of thought as to the cause and remedy for this problem, mostly based on one individual’s findings on one specific device.

Welcome to the Forum Bill - well I'm a noob myself, but this place allows for one hell of a steep learning curve :) You're right, it seems to be two problems, both of which we seem to be able to fix ourselves, but which we can also contact MediaTek about. Like I said, I don't know whether it will make any difference at all, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a burden for them to fix a lonely FTP server - especially now that they're seemingly listening to customers.

Well,
does anyone know Is Epo necessary and how much if is? :confused:
Has anyone used Gps without Epo and with what results?
I wonder ... :angel:

Before EPO: Min. 90 seconds to first fix.
After EPO: Max. 30 seconds to first fix.
After FasterGPS: Max. 10 seconds to first fix. :)
So if you haven't already set your NTP servers, check out play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fastergps - it improved my GPS signal by order of magnitude ;)

Last edited:
Before EPO: Min. 90 seconds to first fix.
After EPO: Max. 30 seconds to first fix.
After FasterGPS: Max. 10 seconds to first fix. :)
So if you haven't already set your NTP servers, check out play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fastergps - it improved my GPS signal by order of magnitude ;)

For earlier versions of Android was gps.conf file in my phone and I was trying a different configuration gps.conf, and found the most suitable.
But my cell phone with Android 4.2 has no gps.conf file!

Gps.conf file must be in cell phone?

Sorry my english...

simsalonaut

Oct 19, 2013
Heidelberg
Gps.conf file must be in cell phone?.

Mine didn't exist either; I created one myself, but either I made mistakes or there was a bug - the system never accepted my gps.conf.
So I took the easy way out:
I installed FasterGPS: In the app, I set my region and country, and it simply created all necessary files - that solved everything.

I also just posted a tutorial on how to generally improve your GPS signal on MediaTek devices. I took information from this thread as well, so if you're looking for a comprehensive how-to, here you go.
If anyone knows any other tips on how to get better GPS reception, please let me know, and I'll add them to the list.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

muckelmaus

Jan 11, 2008
NRW
I also just posted a tutorial on how to generally improve your GPS signal on MediaTek devices. I took information from this thread as well, so if you're looking for a comprehensive how-to, here you go.
If anyone knows any other tips on how to get better GPS reception, please let me know, and I'll add them to the list.

Hope this helps!

Nice! Thanx, I couldn't have done it better! Well done, exactly the way I meant to figure out to improve gps. BTW, there is no problem to insert a missing gps.conf in /system/etc, the only thing that could happen is, that it is ignored.
FasterFix messes up the text of my self-edited configfile, but afterwards it worked well.

Last edited:
Reactions: simsalonaut

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Final solution?

Thanks to a tip from @ultrasound191, we now have a different source: the current EPO files can be found at

epodownload.mediatek.com/EPO.DAT
    epodownload.mediatek.com/EPO.MD5

Just tried it, and it works perfectly - no delays, and files are always up to date. Cheers!
    FTP server: epo.mediatek.com
    Port: 21
    Login: epo_alps
    Password: epo_alps

There are two files:
    EPO.DAT
    EPO.MD5

Both files are updated on the server once per day, usualy around 7:51(GMT+2).
    They should be downloaded to the folder: /data/misc .

When you try to download them from phone "EPO settings", you see message "EPO FILE INFO DOWNLOADING", than you see (50%). That 50% status appears and disappears around 3 times, and some time after that you receive error message "Download files invalid".

The reason is, that they have always wrong MD5 checksum in file EPO.MD5. So your phone download and compare/calc checksum for few times, but every time the checksum is incorrect. And that is reason, why it is not working.

I have tried to connect to the epo.mediatek.com ftp server manually from PC. Every time i download EPO.DAT file, the MD5 checksum is the same, but in EPO.MD5 file is another one (also still the same).
    I have calculated correct MD5 checksum, and changed it to correct value to the file EPO.MD5. Than I have uploaded both files to my private FTP server. And than, through "Engineering Menu" (you can enter there by calling number *#*#3646633#*#* and then select "EPO" item) in the phone I have changed FTP connection/login/password to my server, and tested that. And when I have there correct MD5 checksum in file EPO.MD5, everything works as it should be.

So someone should tell Mediatek, that they have some serious problem with MD5 calculation on their FTP server.
    Is there someone new Epo?
    I'm trying to download it 2 days, but do not go
    download
    http://ge.tt/4kklvs81/v/12

and see other posts in this forum thread...
    I Trying two days with computer with FileZilla and nothing.

"Anyway, to get gps working correctly, is necessary to download EPO files every days"

Is this true??? It says it's worth a 30 days.
    Really I need to often download Epo?

Oopss, sorry, I didn't know this, I suposed everydays system download EPO files. Here is January files, copy EPO.DAT, EPO.MD5 and LEGAL.txt on /data/misc folder:

https://mega.co.nz/#!NYlBFApL!Hrh57yPOTsbt7FZXn2RT3FhEXoE4knbBr61nd5E2gTg

regards!