[HOWTO][ROOT] Confirmed method to root the 98.30.1 & 9.8.1 firmware.
Thanks to k1mu for figuring this trick out.
It's originally a Samsung Galaxy S4 root method but does infact work for the Razr M.
Here is a link to the zip file. Saferoot.zip
- Download & Unzip/Extract saferoot.zip
- Plug your RAZR M into your PC via the USB Cable and Make sure the USB Mode is set to MTP.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
In Developer Options, make sure "USB Debugging" is checkmarked.
--Go to "Settings", "More...", then "Developer Options".
If "Developer Options" doesn't appear, then you'll need to enable it - go to "Settings", "More", "About Phone". Scroll down so the "Build Number" is visible, then tap on that several times until developer mode is enabled.
- Allow your computer to access ADB.
Make sure that your computer is allowed to use USB debugging on your phone. To do this, unplug your phone and unlock it. Then, plug in the USB cable.
If you see an "Alllow USB debugging?" window pop up, tap on the "Always allow from this computer" to check it, then tap OK.
If you don't see that popup, it's OK, you should be OK to proceed.
- On WINDOWS - run 'Install.bat' and follow on screen instructions
- On LINUX & MacOS - To run this root, download and unzip the zip file. Open a shell window, and to change to the directory where you unpacked saferoot.zip, and type "sh ./install.sh". Follow the onscreen instructions and once complete your Razr M should now have root.
If the embedded adb fails, you'll need to have the Android Debugging Bridge (adb) installed and configured and on your path. You can test that it's ready by opening a shell (Terminal) window and typing "adb shell". If you get a shell prompt on the phone, type "exit" and you're ready to go.