[MDPI][412MB RAM] CM10 720p video recording 30 fps
It was tested by me only on latest cm10 nightly, but it is possible that it might work on top of other CM10 roms too (reported to work on SJB 8 too).
0. Make backup
1. install latest cm10 nightly (20131006):
2. flash kernel - DEVICENAME_naaashmem.img
3. flash zip - cm10_enable720p_v2_allinone.zip or cm10_enable720p_v2.zip. The first one includes some useful mods not related to camera, read changelog (Other mods) below! The second one only includes stuff related to camera.
Use default camera app for best results!
-enabled video stabilization (forced on for now, might make it optional later)
-disabled face detection in recording mode in default camera app to improve fps, it wasn't working anyway
-no-copy patch for recording buffer to regain ram and improve fps
-use ashmem instead of pmem for graphic buffers to regain even more ram (stock ics does this too). No issues found so far, performance is like before.
-total ram: 412 MB, out of which 4 megs is always allocated for gr. buffers, so 408 MB really
-stock ics like autobrightness enabled
Other mods (only included in cm10_enable720p_v2_allinone.zip):
-electron beam animation
-faster scrolling, reduced scroll friction
-more strick dalvik vm to save 1-1.5 MB ram per app.
-fixed web browser crash on some video sites
The kernel is based on
The files modified by me can be found at
The changed files are to be copied here:
Modified ramdisk file (init.rc) is also uploaded at the same place.
My CM10 patches are here:
I have been testing 720p recording in CM10 roms recently. It looks like it is not impossible to reach good fps in CM after all.
It was inspired by the maker of MESA kernel an0nym0us_ who used stock camera lib in cm10. Big thanks to him!
My test rom was SJB 8.0 and CM10 nightly 2013.10.06.
Basically I did 3 modifications:
1. Copied camera.semc.so to /system/lib/hw/
2. Modified media_profiles.xml
3. Modified pmem sizes in kernel. Used nAa kernel as base. Free ram is 388 MB at the moment. Still testing it...
The result is good hd recording at near 29.7 fps. The smoothest results come in the camera app found in Super Jelly Bean 8.0. Other apps like stock CM cam and LGCamera produce around 25-27 fps but it can be improved with a tweak.
So here is what to do:
1. Flash kernel (mini_naa720p.img or minipro_naa720p.img or lww_naa720p.img or active_naa720p.img)
2. flash zip in cwm (cm10_enable720p.zip)
Make sure nothing is runnning (like mediascanner) when recording!
Check video fps with ffmpeg in terminal emulator:
If fps is only around 25-27 try this in terminal:
Pls report back if it's working for you, I was a bit tired when writing this...
About the kernel: it's based on
I changed one file:
The changed file can also be found at
Current values are these:
#define MSM_FB_SIZE 0x200000
#define MSM_PMEM_SF_SIZE 0x800000
#define MSM_PMEM_CAMERA_SIZE 0xBE0000
#define MSM_PMEM_ADSP_SIZE 0x1F80000
I think 1 mb more ram can be regained...