I have been researching this for several hours and have read several different ways to do this. I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I would like to root my HTC Inspire, or flash a Jelly Bean type ROM, the later would be preferred. I somewhat understand the steps: rooting, then possible S-off (which some say yes and some say no for flashing new ROM), then some type of recovery app, and finally the new ROM. Then I have also read that some ROMs do the rooting and unlocking for me. My confusion in the steps are more because of reading so many different ways that I'm turning to the experts here, hoping someone is tired of answering the same old questions. I have looked all over XDA, but the all inclusive steps seem to include outdated techniques.
This is what I have understood so far:
1) A hacking tool used to be available for rooting and now isn't
2) The Ace tool was then used, but I read that it isn't supported and may not work.
3) Official CM roms for the Inspire are only for Gingerbread replacement, which I have now so why replace it with that rom.
4) Other roms seem to be Jelly Bean type upgrades, but I'm not sure which one would be the best. Or if I need to root and unlock first before flashing it.
5) Possibly, maybe not, I would need to revert back to factory version (froyo) before doing anything.
So, now rooting is done how? (if I wanted to only have root access but keep Gingerbread)
Is there a stable Jelly Bean rom that includes rooting and unlocking?
My Inspire came with Froyo and was upgraded OTA to Gingerbread, do I need to factory reset before doing any of these things?
(probably a stupid question to you guys, but....) I like customizing my phone, if I were to flash a Jelly Bean type rom, would that be the operating system version my phone would be, like when getting apps that require that version and above?
How does HTC Sense factor into all this?
Thanking you in advance for your patience!