Or Continue to Thread: LiquidSmooth v3.0 Beta
Find Your Device:
10th March 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

18 posts
I'm running LiquidSmooth v3.0 Beta (LS-KK-v3.0-2014-02-13-dlx) on my Verizon DNA and I'm pretty happy with it. Big thanks to deadman96385, santod040, and anyone else who contributed to this project!

This is the first custom ROM I've run as a "daily driver" on my DNA after ~16 months on the stock ROM, so most of my impressions are in comparison with the most recent stock HTC software. I briefly tried CyanFox but switched back to stock. I also tried the "HTC One *STOCK* ROM Port" (DLX_WL_K442_SENSE55_MR_4.19.401.8) but couldn't get it to boot; actually flashing it messed up my recovery as well. I suspect maybe my download was corrupted since other people reported success with that ROM.

Back to LiquidSmooth:

- Perceived performance is generally pretty solid. It's mostly very smooth, living up to its name.
- I do get the occasional app crash (FC); haven't noticed a pattern yet. It's not frequent enough to bother me much.
- A few times I have had the phone become unresponsive when opening the recent apps view or when trying to unlock from the lock screen. But this hasn't happened in a few days. Could be the freezing was related to one of the features I tried and later disabled (see below), or just due to the ROM "settling in" (populating caches, etc.)
- Love KitKat and the add-on features:
- I'm using the "pie control" for quick access to apps, quick screen off, menu access, etc.
- I tried HALO and couldn't really figure it out / didn't find it useful.
- I like the idea of Active Display but it didn't work that well in combination with the way I use the lock screen, so I turned it off and use the lock screen's built-in active display features instead.
- I'm using the default Google Now launcher for the moment. I like the easy access to voice search and google now. Don't like that it doesn't have multi-touch for dragging icons between home screens.

I think the battery is draining faster than with the stock ROM, though it's hard to say because I've also been using the phone a lot more actively while I get it set up and configured the way I want. It may be that the active display feature of the lockscreen is using more power?

People in the development forum mention an over-the-air (OTA) update mechanism; I haven't been able to find that yet.

There's a new version posted called 03-05-14; I haven't tried that version yet.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with this ROM and imagine I'll stick with it for a while. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a clean, fast, stable ROM, and in particular to anyone freshly rooted and looking for a solid ROM to try out KitKat and get a lot of great new features.

(noteómaybe it would have made more sense to put this directly in the existing LiquidSmooth development thread, but I don't have permission to post there. And I'm not developing the ROM, just using it.)

Thanks again! Great ROM.