Originally Posted by YetAnotherForumUser
- Google Play: F-Droid (The F-Droid store only contains free software. It does not provide a full alternative to the Play Store. If you really want to run the Play Store but still have a notion of privacy on your device, consider enabling Google Services only when required, disabling them afterwards. You can also designate one device as the one which gets to run the Play Store and side-load apps from this device to all others. Theoretically this should be possible using an emulator on your server as well, automating the whole process and creating a 'playstore by proxy'. I have not tried this.)
- GMail: IMAP to your own server, eg the Debian standard dovecot daemon. K9 or the standard Android email client on your device.
- Contacts: CardDav to your own server (service is provided by ownCloud, amongst others), DAVdroid on your phone or tablet.
- Calendar: CalDav to your own server (service is provided by ownCloud, amongst others), DAVdroid on your phone or tablet.
- Cloud storage (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc): WebDav to your own server (service is provided by ownCloud, amongst others), one of the many webdav clients on your phone. There is a specific ownCloud app as well.
- Photo sharing (Flickr, Smugmug, etc): Trovebox to your own server, Trovebox app on phone
- Streaming service (Spotify, Google Music, etc): subsonic on your own server, dSub or Subsonic app on phone (there is a rudimentary streaming service in ownCloud as well, based on Ampache)
- More will follow...
More later, no time now,
This is an interesting topic mainly because android has the potential to become non dependant of google services and I would be nice to keep personal data really personal.
Also there is a No Gapps project
here in xda that is quite interesting.
Phone:Motorola Defy (Now My Brothers)
Daily ROM: CM 10.2
Kernel: Blenchd0se Aerokernel 188.8.131.52
Baseband version: EPU93_U_00.60.03
Testing Rom: PA Unnoficial
Phone: Lumia 520
Manifacturer Name: RM-915
OS: Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 PFD
OS Version Number:
Firmware version: Lumia Black
Hit the "Thanks" button if I helped you.