Samsung deleted my review

Search This thread

RobilarOCN

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
I posted a review at Samsung.ca for the Tab Pro 8.4.

And of course Samsung deleted it...

The irony was, I gave it 4/5 stars and praised its features. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned any of the minor issues with it.

When manufacturer's provide a space for the public to post a review and then delete those they don't like (and mine was pretty positive), what exactly is the point?

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
I posted a review at Samsung.ca for the Tab Pro 8.4.

And of course Samsung deleted it...

The irony was, I gave it 4/5 stars and praised its features. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned any of the minor issues with it.

When manufacturer's provide a space for the public to post a review and then delete those they don't like (and mine was pretty positive), what exactly is the point?

They only want super positive?

Why did you knock a star btw?

This is the first Sammy that I would rate 5 stars to.

NixxonExxo

Feb 22, 2014
Goes to show how dishonest Samsung can be. The reviews are not real and are rigged. To me Amazon has the best review system. You have to own and bought the product from their website and they don't filter the negative feedback except profanity.

RobilarOCN

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
They only want super positive?

Why did you knock a star btw?

This is the first Sammy that I would rate 5 stars to.

I only decked it a point for a couple of reasons.

Price. To me it's not overpriced but realistically it should be a $300 - $350 range tablet. With the N7 sitting at $250, the LG G Pad sitting at $250 and the Mini Retina sitting at $400, it should have been somewhere in the middle. Don't get me wrong, I have the Mini Retina and much prefer the Samsung but for those who know nothing about tablets (my mother for example), it is very hard to sell against the Mini retina at the same price point. I showed it to my mother and she was asking why it was the same price as the Mini (which I bought her, sigh) was so much nicer...

Also I mentioned battery life compared to the Mini (that's what probably got the review deleted). Battery life is pretty good for an Android tablet (Better for sure than my G Pad) but compared to the Apple tablets, it's about 5 hours short. That's a big delta.

I also mentioned that the black version was not available in Canada. Why would they launch both colors in the US but only give Canada the god awful ugly white version? I hate white tablets and I'm stuck with one.

I also suggested that for the price point, the Tab Pro should have mini HDMI out. There are plenty of much cheaper tablets (like the Dell) that have this feature. This is being touted as a "Pro" device. Why do I have to hunt around for an MHL HDMI adapter (I've already bought and returned 2 that do not work) so that I can connect this device to a display? It would be great for powerpoint decks at clients (which I currently do with a Surface Pro). For $400, this feature should be a no brainer.

Despite the above, they are all minor concerns as I emphasized that it was the best Android tablet I have owned.

I guess I provided too much accurate info...

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
I think it's pretty obvious why they deleted your review, you mentioned your a Canadian ;)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app in Toronto

Monkey Chops

Jan 23, 2014
I think I'd probably go with a 3.5 for as it comes out of the box, pre loaded with lots of uninstallable crap, iffy/average build quality and poor battery life.

Once the bloat is removed, its a different beast, but then you have no warranty, so 3.5 stars is fair I reckon.

If they did a google play version, on the other hand, it'd be a 4.5 :good:

Reactions: NixxonExxo

RobilarOCN

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
I think I'd probably go with a 3.5 for as it comes out of the box, pre loaded with lots of uninstallable crap, iffy/average build quality and poor battery life.

Once the bloat is removed, its a different beast, but then you have no warranty, so 3.5 stars is fair I reckon.

A google play version, black 32GB, would be an instant buy for me (despite already having one).

It's a fantastic tablet, just a few minor things keep it from being perfect.

I also own a Mini Retina 128GB and the battery between the two isn't even close. That is one area that would make a big difference.

NixxonExxo

Feb 22, 2014
If I wrote a review it'd probably never going to be published on Samsung's website so I will do a review here.

I got the 12.2" and used it out for a week now, I would give it a 2.5. The only thing I like about it is the large screen and the clarity of the display. Other then that I too think it's overpriced compared to hundreds of other Android devices out there.

It's heavy and holding it with 2 hands for 30 min my wrist starts to feel uncomfortable. The bloatware is annoying and some of them you can't even be disabled. Of course I could do the root it and delete method it but that would void my warranty. That's a risk I'm not going to take cause I'm not sure if I'm keeping this. There should be a law like in Korea that a user should have the option to remove bloatware easily as they wish.

For a 9500 mAH battery, it sucked bad. Samsung claim you can watch 8 hours of continues movies but the most I've gotten is 3.5 hours. The sound and speaker is horrid because half the video I played has cracking and popping noises in the background. Also some 1080p videos I tested jitters and motion lags at times. For clarification, these videos I tested have no problem playing on my 6 years old MacBook at all. Magazine UI looks cool back in January when they demoed it but once you get to it, it feels incomplete and it is an awful experience. Couldn't remove it either.

Also I got the Black version and it came with an odd white usb cable and charger. Little missed details like that could annoy owners.

The next tablet I'm going to try is the Sony Xperia Z2. In the mean time, this isn't a winner for me so I'm probably going to return it soon. I really tried hard to like this tablet and was anxious when Samsung announce it but it is big let down for me.

Last edited:

RobilarOCN

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
If I wrote a review it'd probably never going to be published on Samsung's website so I will do a review here.

I got the 12.2" and used it out for a week now, I would give it a 2.5. The only thing I like about it is the large screen and the clarity of the display. Other then that I too think it's overpriced compared to hundreds of other Android devices out there.

It's heavy and holding it with 2 hands for 30 min my wrist starts to feel uncomfortable. The bloatware is annoying and some of them you can't even be disabled. Of course I could do the root it and delete method it but that would void my warranty. That's a risk I'm not going to take cause I'm not sure if I'm keeping this. There should be a law like in Korea that a user should have the option to remove bloatware easily as they wish.

For a 9500 mAH battery, it sucked bad. Samsung claim you can watch 8 hours of continues movies but the most I've gotten is 3.5 hours. The sound and speaker is horrid because half the video I played has cracking and popping noises in the background. Also some 1080p videos I tested jitters and motion lags at times. For clarification, these videos I tested have no problem playing on my 6 years old MacBook at all. Magazine UI looks cool back in January when they demoed it but once you get to it, it feels incomplete and it is an awful experience. Couldn't remove it either.

Also I got the Black version and it came with an odd white usb cable and charger. Little missed details like that could annoy owners.

The next tablet I'm going to try is the Sony Xperia Z2. In the mean time, this isn't a winner for me so I'm probably going to return it soon. I really tried hard to like this tablet and was anxious when Samsung announce it but it is big let down for me.

You raise some good points.However, you can't really complain about the size and weight. It is thinner and lighter than anything else in its size class. If it's too heavy, you should have bought a smaller tablet. I mean, how can you complain about the weight when you chose that size? The 10.1 Pro weighs almost 300 grams less.

I am surprised at your battery results. The 8.4 is good for about 7 hours of video (I've tested it several times on flights). I expected the bigger versions to be better given the higher rated battery.

NixxonExxo

Feb 22, 2014
You raise some good points.However, you can't really complain about the size and weight. It is thinner and lighter than anything else in its size class. If it's too heavy, you should have bought a smaller tablet. I mean, how can you complain about the weight when you chose that size? The 10.1 Pro weighs almost 300 grams less.

I am surprised at your battery results. The 8.4 is good for about 7 hours of video (I've tested it several times on flights). I expected the bigger versions to be better given the higher rated battery.

I'm not complaining about size, it's perfect and I enjoy the large screen estate. I'm complaining about the weight. It feels super light when you carry it around but supporting it long term with your wrists are two different things. Maybe I will wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation to see if Samsung improves the weight and hopefully to be under 1 pound is ideal.

My battery result is what it is. I have it on auto brightness and it's not even that bright at all. The videos I played are standard avi, 720p and 1080p.

debugger919

Dec 7, 2011

The bigger screen easily offsets the bigger battery compares to 8.4, because (in normal cases) the screen is always the biggest consumer of battery, the size of the screen is huge on 12.2, so I'm not surprised by the poor battery life it has.

sefstrat

Oct 20, 2007

I agree 100% with everything nixxon said about the 12.2, I got it a few days ago and will be returning it soon.

The screen is gorgeous but it sucks battery like crazy even on low brightness, also the weight becomes uncomfortable quickly when you rest it on your chest (ie reading in bed).

The weight issue is tricky because I have laptops which are heavier but still comfortable to use in bed, what makes the 12.2 so uncomfortable is that all its weight gets exerted on a small area of your body vs a laptop where it's more spread out.

CPU bound tasks seem very quick but graphics intensive tasks feel sluggish compared to my note 10.1, I'm sure that could be improved with an optimized kernel/rom.

Still on the fence over whether to trade for a note pro 10.1 or wait for something else

NixxonExxo

Feb 22, 2014
Still on the fence over whether to trade for a note pro 10.1 or wait for something else

Oh boy, when it comes to Samsung software, waiting is the most traitorous thing ever. They have a very poor track record of OS and in house apps update ever. Take for example, the Note 10.1 2014 edition has been out since October, has the exact same identical internal spec as the Note pro 12.2 and it hasn't gotten the latest KitKat upgrade yet. They could have easily and inexpensively take the Note Pro 12.2 software and tweak it to work on the Note 10.1 but they still haven't done so.

Samsung doesn't take care of their customers after. They just want to make a quick buck on the hardware moving forward. They don't look back on supporting older devices because it's not profitable.

Reactions: kieroseno

lark83

Feb 13, 2014
Haw dare you impede on Samsung's marketing scheme! Shame on you. Aren't you aware their devices are immaculate and faultless in every way?

Those looking at 10 inch you might want to wait for the SM T800.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Oh boy, when it comes to Samsung software, waiting is the most traitorous thing ever. They have a very poor track record of OS and in house apps update ever. Take for example, the Note 10.1 2014 edition has been out since October, has the exact same identical internal spec as the Note pro 12.2 and it hasn't gotten the latest KitKat upgrade yet. They could have easily and inexpensively take the Note Pro 12.2 software and tweak it to work on the Note 10.1 but they still haven't done so.

Samsung doesn't take care of their customers after. They just want to make a quick buck on the hardware moving forward. They don't look back on supporting older devices because it's not profitable.