[Q] How To Root the Straight Talk SCH-S968C Samsung Galaxy S III

Search This thread

kenny1974

Nov 6, 2009
I use Odin v3.07

Sent from my SCH-S968C using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

Did you set Handcent as your default SMS app and MMS settings to Verizon network?

Reactions: evertking

mekamarie012

Apr 17, 2014
Deer River
Root

First you'll need to root. Connect your phone, run cydia impactor, and let it do its thing. When you have root access use EZ recovery (found in play store) to install the latest cmw recovery. Do not use twrp! Next you'll have to download a ROM. Boot into recovery using EZ recovery. Clear system and data, install the ROM you downloaded and enjoy!

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Set handcent to Verizon and it'll work. I spent days trying to get MMS to work from the stock messaging with no luck. It worked when cm still had d2vzw, but since they changed to d2lte it won't work

Ok, so I ran cydia impactor, it said complete. Is there a specific (EZ recovery)? And how do I download a ROM?

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Ok, so I ran cydia impactor, it said complete. Is there a specific (EZ recovery)? And how do I download a ROM?

Haha, nevermind, I figured out what a ROM is and how to download it.

Reactions: infsoul

infsoul

Aug 20, 2008
South Boston
I'm rooted now and have the latest recovery used EZ Recovery to install the latest Verizon s3 recovery downloaded from cwm site by browsing to my download folder then clicking flash once the file was selected and then booting into recovery then backing everything up now I need help with what the best stable and most beneficial rom is for my phone :confused:

sent from my ST Cdma-v Galaxy S3

Reactions: mekamarie012

mekamarie012

Apr 17, 2014
Deer River
I'm rooted now and have the latest recovery used EZ Recovery to install the latest Verizon s3 recovery downloaded from cwm site by browsing to my download folder then clicking flash once the file was selected and then booting into recovery then backing everything up now I need help with what the best stable and most beneficial rom is for my phone :confused:

I have my phone rooted and used ROMmanager to flash my phone, and reset it in recovery mode. Everything worked, I just can't figure out how to download and install a ROM onto my phone. I heard Gummy ROM is the best. It has a lot of features that you can customize and it runs smoothly.

There's a review on Gummy root on Galaxys3Root website & he shows a website of the interface.

I think something happened and now the computer won't recognize my phone. I don't know what to do, or how to download a ROM?

evertking

May 25, 2013
I have my phone rooted and used ROMmanager to flash my phone, and reset it in recovery mode. Everything worked, I just can't figure out how to download and install a ROM onto my phone. I heard Gummy ROM is the best. It has a lot of features that you can customize and it runs smoothly.

There's a review on Gummy root on Galaxys3Root website & he shows a website of the interface.

I think something happened and now the computer won't recognize my phone. I don't know what to do, or how to download a ROM?

You could try gummy but I think its one of those ROMs that just will not have working data, or I couldn't figure it out, with the S968C s3. Just download the rom, put it on external SD and boot into recover, wipe and flash. Make a backup fist thing though. And do your self a favor and download the file kenny1974 posted.
As for the best ROM... Well.. That's a matter of preference. I like AOKP,AICP and CM but right now I REALLY am loving this AOSB ROM.

Last edited:

mekamarie012

Apr 17, 2014
Deer River
You could try gummy but I think its one of those ROMs that just will not have working data, or I couldn't figure it out, with the S968C s3. Just download the rom, put it on external SD and boot into recover, wipe and flash. Make a backup fist thing though. And do your self a favor and download the file kenny1974 posted.
As for the best ROM... Well.. That's a matter of preference. I like AOKP,AICP and CM but right now I REALLY am loving this AOSB ROM.

The GummyROM didn't work when I installed it the first time, now my phone is soft bricked because of an app. I need the firmware for (SCH-S968C) but can't find it. If anybody could help me I will donate to them in the near future, I REALLY need help!!

w1sp3r

Mar 1, 2014

evertking

May 25, 2013
mms fix

I use Odin v3.07

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

Did you set Handcent as your default SMS app and MMS settings to Verizon network?

And your on a 4.4 ROM with the handcent working? There must/HAS to be a setting I'm missing. Lol I have been at this for HOURS! With NO luck. I cleared defaults, disabled and uninstalled stock SMS apps, entered apns manually for ST and VZW, sacrificed a chicken nugget to ZUL and still a no go... With a brand new 2 month old baby boy, my first, I gotta be able to send pics.. Lol guess imma roll back to JB where MMS works fine.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Thank you ! I owe you and Kenny big time. When I fix my phone, I'll definitely pay you guys back! :laugh: :good: I hope this works!

Yep, it will work.. I owe Kenny myself.. Lol. Just read up on Odin and make sure your drivers are installed on your computer and you will be back in no time. The longest part is downloading the file. That and burying it in the backyard for safe keeping. Just remember PDA slot. And the only things that should be checked are auto reboot and F. Reset time and to boot into download mode. Good luck!

mekamarie012

Apr 17, 2014
Deer River
And your on a 4.4 ROM with the handcent working? There must/HAS to be a setting I'm missing. Lol I have been at this for HOURS! With NO luck. I cleared defaults, disabled and uninstalled stock SMS apps, entered apns manually for ST and VZW, sacrificed a chicken nugget to ZUL and still a no go... With a brand new 2 month old baby boy, my first, I gotta be able to send pics.. Lol guess imma roll back to JB where MMS works fine.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Yep, it will work.. I owe Kenny myself.. Lol. Just read up on Odin and make sure your drivers are installed on your computer and you will be back in no time. The longest part is downloading the file. That and burying it in the backyard for safe keeping. Just remember PDA slot. And the only things that should be checked are auto reboot and F. Reset time and to boot into download mode. Good luck!

Yeah Kenny has been a big help! The file is downloading, & it's taking a long time. But definitely worth it. So thank you so much. I have a YouTube video walk-through to help me out. I'm pretty new to this.

kenny1974

Nov 6, 2009
Glad I could help out guys. If you can find an older cm11 d2vzw you'll have working MMS without using handcent, but MMS is working for me on the latest nightly. I let handcent set the APNs from the list. Hope this helps out

evertking

May 25, 2013

kenny1974

Nov 6, 2009
Its not looking good for us straight talk users

infsoul

Aug 20, 2008
South Boston
Wait wait I'm a little slow now it's been a while since the Droid x rooting and romming days are you in fact saying there's a stable rom for the straight talk Verizon network 3g cdma-v galaxy s3 if so please give me steps past rooting and cwm recovery backing up to get this on mine!! :eek::eek::thumbup::thumbup:

evertking

May 25, 2013
Wait wait I'm a little slow now it's been a while since the Droid x rooting and romming days are you in fact saying there's a stable rom for the straight talk Verizon network 3g cdma-v galaxy s3 if so please give me steps past rooting and cwm recovery backing up to get this on mine!! :eek::eek::thumbup::thumbup:

If your looking for s good stable ROM with all the WORKING bells and whistles.. Also... Working MMS for our st S3, AOKP JB mr1 or mr2.

kenny1974

Nov 6, 2009
If you want a stable kitkat ROM you can use cm11 d2lte, but you'll have to use handcent for MMS

infsoul

Aug 20, 2008
South Boston
I have 4.1.2 now which of those would be best on the hardware speed and space also I still need to know how to in stall them I'm rooted with impactor and flash cwm recovery with ez recovery

kenny1974

Nov 6, 2009
Update your recovery via cmw website, download the ROM of your choice (and the gapps to go with your ROM) to your external SD card, MAKE A BACKUP, wipe system and cache, locate and install the ROM, install gapps, reboot system and you're done

infsoul

Aug 20, 2008
South Boston
These that have been suggested above is there a specific one of each I need to download because none of them say for my model that I've found and the aokp site only has gapps

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Filename:aokp_i9300_jb-mr2_nightly_2013-10-18.zip

Is that the one?

infsoul

Aug 20, 2008
South Boston
I attached a picture of the one I just found on the aokp site I think this is the jb one you're talk about is it?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398095110994.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398095110994.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 323

Top Liked Posts