Status on Root/Custom Recovery/Bootloader

Search This thread

das7982

Feb 28, 2012
Broken Arrow
Obtaining code execution then, is something done only on the device versus(or rather than) manipulating the firmware without direct access to the device?

You obviously have no clue who Jcase is..... arguing android development with Jcase is like screwing for virginity. ... its silly.

Follow Me @Bash_array

Smokncars

Mar 27, 2011
Kenosha
I'm waiting for root...I miss it tried using foxfi to tether came up with vzw message saying I need to call them as I don't have feature. Can't use xposed =(

mlcollins30

May 3, 2010
You obviously have no clue who Jcase is..... arguing android development with Jcase is like screwing for virginity. ... its silly.

Follow Me @Bash_array

Is that what you think? - That I'm questioning the abilities and knowledge of jcase or arguing android development? Guess again. If anything, it was am attempt to try to understand what many do not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using xda app-developers app

SirWise23

Dec 4, 2008
Clifton
You know something, or are you just speculating?

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a mainstream popular Android phone on Verizon that WASN'T eventually rooted?

The issue is never "Can it be done?" The issue is usually never that it CAN'T be done, it's just that the people that can do it aren't on Verizon so they don't care to try.

Smokncars

Mar 27, 2011
Kenosha
Be patient its in the works lets sit back grab a beer pull out some chairs an wait lol

Galaxy S5

Wooooosssssssaaaaaa

I'm going to need more then a beer but less then tequila because that's how I broke my s3 and got into the s5 no root mess. Lol Verizon reps hassled me to get a s5 case but not offer the phone insurance after paying for phone outright. Smh.....

KaM1KaZ3

Dec 8, 2013
Louisiana
Wooooosssssssaaaaaa

I'm going to need more then a beer but less then tequila because that's how I broke my s3 and got into the s5 no root mess. Lol Verizon reps hassled me to get a s5 case but not offer the phone insurance after paying for phone outright. Smh.....

I was on sprint contract was up wanted the s5 they tryed to double dip the phone left there service jumped in no root band wagon lol but I can say Verizon services is better I miss root alot of bloat on here little more than sprint has.. this device is locked down tight its gonna take awhile to get root if the right dev get together it can be done

Galaxy S5

ravenofdoom

Mar 18, 2011
Out of curiosity, has there ever been a mainstream popular Android phone on Verizon that WASN'T eventually rooted?

The issue is never "Can it be done?" The issue is usually never that it CAN'T be done, it's just that the people that can do it aren't on Verizon so they don't care to try.

I'm not sure I fully agree with this - there's a difference between the devices one uses as a developer and one to be used as a daily driver. The Nexus 4/5 is what most folks likely use for development now, which is generally separate from the sole phone to depend on for essential communication (since if developing/ROM-building, it would likely be in a less than optimal state for dependability). This isn't to say the daily driver would necessarily Verizon device, but just that those are two different functions/purposes.

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
Wooooosssssssaaaaaa

They didn't offer me that either.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

jpmcnown

Jan 13, 2011
Topeka, Kansas
Wooooosssssssaaaaaa

☆ ★ | ROM | SynergyROM VZW S3 | JB 4.1.1 | Multiwindow | PDroid | 1-18-13 r257 |★ ☆ or [ROM][VRBLK3][4.1.1][RLS14.1] GalaxyMod ¯`•._ Universal | Tweaks depending on the updates with [OMG][THEME] 01.11 - Ultimate OMG Theme - 31 Choices - Aroma

Wooooosssssssaaaaaa, please take a moment to update your signature. lol

Reactions: Giphtid2705

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
I was on sprint contract was up wanted the s5 they tryed to double dip the phone left there service jumped in no root band wagon lol but I can say Verizon services is better I miss root alot of bloat on here little more than sprint has.. this device is locked down tight its gonna take awhile to get root if the right dev get together it can be done

Galaxy S5

same here, been with sprint 13 year, rooted/jailbroken/hacked/tweaked every flagship device they had, they had great customer service, but they data/cell blows goats for quarters.

what is it about the VZW version that makes it hard to root, i honestly dont know, we had root acess in 4 hours with sprint on the GS5. I'm not trying to be an A.H. just curious

It WILL happen in time... where there is a will there is a way, i literally stripped wires and sat there shorting out the board with wires and paperclips to get root on the evo 3d, so i KNOW some of the brillant minds here can make it happen, i hate waiting but it is worth it.... after having a rooted GS5 for a week i cant wait to be able to root this one... but until then i am enjoying the awesome cell/data coverage

Maphack

Jan 18, 2011
same here, been with sprint 13 year, rooted/jailbroken/hacked/tweaked every flagship device they had, they had great customer service, but they data/cell blows goats for quarters.

what is it about the VZW version that makes it hard to root, i honestly dont know, we had root acess in 4 hours with sprint on the GS5. I'm not trying to be an A.H. just curious

It WILL happen in time... where there is a will there is a way, i literally stripped wires and sat there shorting out the board with wires and paperclips to get root on the evo 3d, so i KNOW some of the brillant minds here can make it happen, i hate waiting but it is worth it.... after having a rooted GS5 for a week i cant wait to be able to root this one... but until then i am enjoying the awesome cell/data coverage

I'm no dev so this is only speculation but I'd assume that the resources Verizon has would allow them to develop their own security measures that are superior to that of sprint.

Also, as you mentioned, customers will go/stay on Verizon w/o root because they are just a better carrier and as a result don't need to scrape for customers by turning a blind eye to rooting.

?

Then again, the percentage of users that root is probably insignificant to both carriers...but each customer is probably more valuable to sprint than Verizon..

My economics degree is probably not paying off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

tsachi

Sep 23, 2010

Verizon adds their own security on top of Samsung. Just look at the 4.3 update for the s3. They took a few extra weeks to roll it out after the other carriers. They used the time to "test the update extensively for better user experience". They also used it to put in a feature that would brick your phone if you tried to root it. No other s3 had it. It took quite a while to find a work around, but eventually it was solved.

mkitchin

Oct 17, 2012
Is the protection/security the VZW S5 has in place significantly different than what other devices have had?
I understand what it it would take to get root on the device, and what the chances are of that happening.
I'm still unclear on what would take to be able to load a 3rd party ROM. Would it be root and safestrap?
I'm trying to decide if I should keep this device. I would really want to load a 3rd party ROM, but I can't live without root.
Thanks to all that are smarter than me and do the work on these things.

Last edited:

detr0yt

Dec 8, 2011
Verizon sucks. I may jump ship to the M8 or back to my N3. No root is killing me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You won't regret it... The M8 is wide open... Roit...Unlocked boot loader... Great phone... Excellent battery life... Higher density screen... Best front camera available with 5mp.... And I'm still on Verizon... Same great coverage and and speed... I'm done with Sammy

bluremi

Mar 27, 2010
I haven't been able to google an answer to this question so maybe people here can helP:

SD Card Lockdown in Kitkat
What are the implications of deleting an app's private folder on the external SD Card when it's uninstalled? Does this mean updating the app causes you to lose data? Is the app allowed to create multiple private folders and subfolders?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'd like to make this particular thread about the current status of root, bootloader, and recovery. Feel free to post here or PM me so I can keep this thread as up to date as possible.

Keep in mind our devices will likely take longer to gain these mods due to Verizon locking us down more than other carriers usually. We likely won't have an unlocked bootloader ever.

This is for the Verizon Galaxy S5 ONLY! And now AT&T S5, please welcome our brothers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Root: Geohot has rooted our phones and if you pledged a donation please think about finding a way to get it to him. It is the right thing to do, but also not mandatory.
    http://www.towelroot.com

Recovery: We have Safestrap at the time being
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2793891

Bootloader: Unknown

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DO NOT FOR ANY REASON USE THIS THREAD TO COMPARE THE GS5 TO THE M8 OR ANY OTHER PHONE
    Not necessarily. A guy cracked a 160 bit sha1 in 59 minutes on a rented consumer computer. Not sure how, but he did it using the GPU. I understand that the sha1 for bootloaders is 2048 bit though.

Sent from my white SM G900V on XDA Premium 4

/facepalm

Not to insult anyone, because the XDA community is some of the sharpest people I've ever know, but this is the type of stuff that drives me batty professionally. I'm a working Fortune 50 InfoSec consultant, and I've done lots of security, including my share of rudimentary cryptanalysis work over the years, and it never fails to amaze me that people still chime in on various threads with 'let's just hack it', and demonstrate a complete lack of understanding and quite frankly, respect for the technology that goes into these secure solutions so let me break this down so we can get serious about this.

SHA1 is a hashing algorithm; mostly for one-way encryption, just like MD5, for data integrity, sometimes digital signing, etc. It is not the same as a digital signature like a PGP key or an x.509/PKI cert (SSL, SMIME, etc.) which are vastly more complex with a typical bit length of 1024. Yes, some Chinese researchers a few years ago did find a way to produce collisions more efficiently for SHA1 in order to brute force a hash. Simply put a collision with a hashing algorithm is when 2 random factors produce the same hash; 2+2=4 and 1+3=4.

To circumvent the GS5 bootloader which is signed, and has signature checking, requires producing a boot loader with a valid hash to bypass the signature integrity check. This isn't like guessing your kid brothers Facebook password, it is closer to guessing the random session key of an SSL session to decrypt the data within. Heartbleed aside, it is simply mathematically very nearly impossible with any computer systems we could amass with any budget we could gather, and we would all be dead and gone for thousands of years before we had anything close to success.

You are FAR more likely to win the Powerball jackpot back to back five times over.

The GS3 bootloader fix was likely due to a lucky leak. The GS4 MDK Loki was due to a very dumb opening in the kernel. No one is going to brute force these things open. That is a waste of time and resources to bother discussing. We need a valid exploit in-between the bootloader and the OS to insert code into the trusted path and disable or bypass the signature/integrity check (or get a valid signed unlocked bootloader like the GS3). Very difficult to do if the security is designed properly. Try hacking a modern laptop with a Trusted Platform Module (or Xbox for that matter) and an encrypted hard drive as a reference, these things are not trivial.

That being said, we will be lucky to achieve root on the Verizon/ATT GS5 without a major break (leak, serious security vuln, etc.). Android and Sammy phones have been getting progressively more secure over the last few generations and they are only going to get more so. The only saving grace is that as the Android OS evolves, more code is added, and newer vulnerabilities are introduced, but Google is getting better at security, most of the low-hanging fruit has been plucked and patched. The devs getting root on modern devices these days are likely much more skilled than those getting root on Android 5yrs. ago. It's a technology arms race, the device and software gets more hardened and skills required to crack them open is a higher bar than the previous generation. Just like you can't easily pirate Direct TV or modchip a Playstation these days, security engineering is getting vastly better and device freedom will get further out of reach as time goes on. We need to support truly open devices and carriers, not keep assuming that whatever they release we will just crack it on day one and teach them a lesson.

Now to quickly address the 'why'. It isn't a conspiracy to simply make us mad or to prevent you from customizing your device. There are legitimate business reasons for locking devices. If a devices security can be circumvented by a 'good guy' for the right reasons (like the XDA crowd) it can be just as easily be circumvented by the bad guys for all the wrong reasons, like installing malware to steal your info, identity, hack your Google wallet and finances, etc. Also, Samsung is trying to get into the lucrative enterprise market and security is a necessity for this. I consistently see threads on XDA that 'I need root to bypass the Exchange pin' policy. You don't have the right to access your companies information (yes, they own every email you receive or send legally) without a PIN or password for your convenience, just like I don't have the right to remove the locks from your front door cause I don't like knocking when I come to visit. Verizon and ATT may indeed not have our best interests in mind when they lock their devices, but let's not naively assume that there is simply no good legitimate reason for security on mobile devices.

/end rant :D
    Cease the off topic discussions please.

Only posts relevant to the Galaxy s5.
    God..please go start other threads if everyone is going off topic..cameras..hotspots...vpn's..come on people quit being lazy and write other threads..THIS THREAD IS FOR ROOT STATUS ONLY....QUIT WASTING OTHER PEOPLE'S READING TIME AND SHOW OTHERS RESPECT FOR THEIR TIME.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Well I said this in the bounty thread, but apparently it wasn't important enough to be left alone...

I've got some programming experience, fairly proficient in PHP (not exactly hard core programming language but the theory should be useful to me). I've been keeping an eye on and browsing through a lot of linux privilege escalation exploits, found one that may be helpful. I'll give it a crack

No promises, in fact I'm doubtful as this is way out of my league, but you never know. Might help someone else.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app