Stupid Questions Thread- No Question too stupid! I promise!

Do you think this thread is helping with unneeded threads from popping up?

• Yes! less threads asking common or stupid stuff

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No. but Like the idea

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • NO! Hate everything about this thread!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Ok...thanks for the quick reply. Now I'll have to learn how to reconfigure the APN so I can explain it proper like. Again thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The APN settings are available under settings. Depending on the Android version, for 4.1.1/4.1.2 it is under Settings => More Settings => Mobile Networks whilst for 4.3 it will be under Settings => Connections. The network would need to advise their specific settings

Reactions: DaddieDiesel

DaddieDiesel

Mar 30, 2009
Barcelona,Spain. Chicago,Il
The APN settings are available under settings. Depending on the Android version, for 4.1.1/4.1.2 it is under Settings => More Settings => Mobile Networks whilst for 4.3 it will be under Settings => Connections. The network would need to advise their specific settings

Ok. Cool so its kinda like my Note 2 running a cm variant. Perfect I know how to do that. Again thanks a lot.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

zZSleepyZz

Dec 29, 2012
Okay, so I have few questions.

I just got my phone replaced and have been wanting to root my phone, so I figured I should ask for a detailed description or a link of a good tut/video that shows me how to do everything.

I have the AT&T GS3, it's currently running 4.3 and my baseband version is: I747UCUEMJB

Okay, I got root on my phone and now I'm about to get TWRP recovery on my phone. I decided to just man up and risk rooting my phone and it was a lot simpler than I was making it. I was thinking the whole time my bad luck was gonna show up and just be like, "Oh, new phone? Let me just make it a brick for you!"

My questions still stands, how would I go about installing a custom kernel? Would I just use one of the recovery apps or is there a different method to it?

1. How would I install a custom kernel?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

CrackedUser

Jun 11, 2011
What do I have to allow through the firewall, (afwall) to get tethering? I allowed the tethering DNS + DHCP services but no internet capability. The computer OS will show DHCP ping and show an IP address and connectivity, but no webpages or email loads. I have to completely disable the firewall to get the browser to work on the computer.

Thanks

busterwan

Apr 26, 2014
Markham
No privilege for bug report

I try to post a bug report logcat to PwnCakes193 for the latest Quantum 4 rom but the message says "New members (those with fewer than 10 posts) are not permitted to post to development-related forums".

Can this limit be lifted because I am reporting a real bug to the developer? Thanks in advance.

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
HELP.
can someone please PM me with steps to get last kmsg uploaded/posted on a thread.?? had some random reboots several kernels ago on ROM that i'm using and wanted to contribute but could not figure out how to get them on the thread. i can get to the file, can send it to myself as e mail or text and can upload to my dropbox. but thats as far as i can get. lol.
apology for complete noob-ness but might help a dev sometime.
thanks for any directions or searches you can provide.
:what::sly:

err on the side of kindness

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2011
I try to post a bug report logcat to PwnCakes193 for the latest Quantum 4 rom but the message says "New members (those with fewer than 10 posts) are not permitted to post to development-related forums".

Can this limit be lifted because I am reporting a real bug to the developer? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, I don't think it can. I've been trying to do the same thing (same ROM; Quantum is excellent). I've just started to post around here and contribute where I can.

meteora1985

May 3, 2014
Unable to upgrade to JB. AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747. I live in Guyana, South America

Hey folks,
First off, thanks to the person who created this thread because I was getting tired of reading all the other threads (and webpages) that didn't seem to be giving me the answers I need and I was trying to respect forum rules by searching before posting. But it's way past my bedtime and I've been reading for hours.
My problem:
My phone (About Device) says that I'm running version 4.1.1. The Baseband version is I747UCDLK3. When I check for updates it tells me that "current software is up to date" and tells me to check back in a few hours. Kies tells me that I have the latest firmware.

My phone is unlocked. I live in Guyana, South America at the moment. Does this affect my being able to get the update? Is there a way to get the update that does not require me to root my phone? Will using the Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation option in Kies upgrade to Jellybean? Although I'm good at following clear technical instructions, I would prefer not to have to root my phone as if something goes wrong I'm not sure who'll fix it.

I'm not familiar with the techy lingo, so please excuse my ignorance in advance.

Any answers to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
HF

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hey folks,
First off, thanks to the person who created this thread because I was getting tired of reading all the other threads (and webpages) that didn't seem to be giving me the answers I need and I was trying to respect forum rules by searching before posting. But it's way past my bedtime and I've been reading for hours.
My problem:
My phone (About Device) says that I'm running version 4.1.1. The Baseband version is I747UCDLK3. When I check for updates it tells me that "current software is up to date" and tells me to check back in a few hours. Kies tells me that I have the latest firmware.

My phone is unlocked. I live in Guyana, South America at the moment. Does this affect my being able to get the update? Is there a way to get the update that does not require me to root my phone? Will using the Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation option in Kies upgrade to Jellybean? Although I'm good at following clear technical instructions, I would prefer not to have to root my phone as if something goes wrong I'm not sure who'll fix it.

I'm not familiar with the techy lingo, so please excuse my ignorance in advance.

Any answers to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
HF

You may not be able to get an OTA (over-the-air) because it is delivered over AT&T's network which you may not have access to. You can, however, do a 2-step manual update to the latest version which is ver. 4.3 following the instructions below ....

1) Go to the first page in the thread below ...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2387423

2) Download the 2 zip files under update412.zip and update43.zip respectively to your computer
3) Copy the zip files to a good quality (micro) SD card
4) Place the card in your phone and boot to recovery mode by simultaneously holding down the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons
5) Hold the buttons until you see a blue message flash across the screen. Then release the Power button but continue to hold the Volume Up and Home button until you see the Android image appear. Then release the buttons
6) Use the volume up/down key to scroll to <mount from external storage> and the power button to select
7) Navigate to the first zip file (update412.zip) and install. Wait for installation to finish and your phone to reboot.
8) Complete set up. Check your phone settings. Then power off and reboot to recovery again.
9) Repeat the process for the second update file.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Reactions: meteora1985

meteora1985

May 3, 2014
It...worked...beautifully!!!!

Thanks larry2999;52384468

you may not be able to get an ota (over-the-air) because it is delivered over at&t's network which you may not have access to. You can, however, do a 2-step manual update to the latest version which is ver. 4.3 following the instructions below ....

1) go to the first page in the thread below ...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2387423

2) download the 2 zip files under update412.zip and update43.zip respectively to your computer
3) copy the zip files to a good quality (micro) sd card
4) place the card in your phone and boot to recovery mode by simultaneously holding down the volume up, home and power buttons
5) hold the buttons until you see a blue message flash across the screen. Then release the power button but continue to hold the volume up and home button until you see the android image appear. Then release the buttons
6) use the volume up/down key to scroll to <mount from external storage> and the power button to select
7) navigate to the first zip file (update412.zip) and install. Wait for installation to finish and your phone to reboot.
8) complete set up. Check your phone settings. Then power off and reboot to recovery again.
9) repeat the process for the second update file.

Please let me know if this works for you.

pravus87

Apr 4, 2013
No Notification Sounds

Hello again, everyone.

After spending some time on the forums, I learned that for those experiencing issues with 3rd party ROMs and have not flashed back to a TouchWiz-based ROM for an extended amount of time, it is wise to use Odin to restore back to 4.1.1 stock, do the OTA update to 4.3 (if not worried about bootloader), then do a clean install of your desired ROM.

Once getting stock 4.3 up and running (rooted and TWRP installed), everything worked fine, except that twice in one day, I had my phone play some weird sound (definitely not my ringtone), it showed that one of my contacts was calling me, but it immediately hung up and said missed call. I then had that person contact me and ask if it was me calling them. I blew it off until it happened with my mom and she asked the same thing.

I don't like TouchWiz anyway, so I figured that glitch was a good enough excuse to go back to CM11. Worked fine for a few days, but now all my notification sounds do not work (incoming calls, texts, emails, etc.). Even cycling through the sound modes does not play back a tone or make a vibration. I posted on the forum about this issue before (along with speakerphone not working) and following the above steps was the suggestion I got. Not sure where to go from here.

I tried flashing the Nightly build for today hoping that would work, but it did not.

Anyone have any information they can share on this? :confused: Or a possible fix? Thank you!

Last edited:

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
HELP.
can someone please PM me with steps to get last kmsg uploaded/posted on a thread.?? had some random reboots several kernels ago on ROM that i'm using and wanted to contribute but could not figure out how to get them on the thread. i can get to the file, can send it to myself as e mail or text and can upload to my dropbox. but thats as far as i can get. lol.
apology for complete noob-ness but might help a dev sometime.
thanks for any directions or searches you can provide.
:what::sly:

uuhhh.... one more time???
any help on this last step is greatly appreciated. :)

mpadhu

Nov 22, 2012
Recovery

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Glad to know you were able to root your phone without hitch. Yes, rooting does affect the device's ability to receive OTA updates. However, 4.3 Jelly Bean is the latest official OS available for your device so you are current for now. There is news of an impending 4.4 KitKat rollout but, to the best of my knowledge, this hasn't commenced yet. You can indeed unroot with SuperSU. You can also flash a complete stock image to unroot and return to full stock including stock recovery. However, I wouldn't worry about that now. You may be sure that when an upgrade becomes available, the good guys in the development community would work hard to ensure that a manual update process is available.

Hi Larry.

My rooted phone is really nice running powerful apps. Thanks for your support.
As I try to learn things, I came across the term Recovery. Its is said that Installing a custom recovery like CWM will allow me to install custom ROMs, Kernels, etc. I checked my phone and currently have something like Android Recovery.

1) Please let me know the advantages and disadvantages of installing a custom recovery.
2) Is there a way to revert back to original stock recovery?
3) Different custom recoveries and Best recovery to start as a newbie.

Thanks in advance.

digitalxda

Jan 17, 2011
Unlocked ATT with Tmobile sim

Hi- I've searched through this forum for similar stupid question and did not find an answer I was looking for. So as the title says, I have a unlocked ATT I747 with tmobile sim.

Do i continue to flash i747 ROMs or t-mobile roms from this point on? what about recommended bootloaders for either att or tmobile roms?

thanks for allowing me to participate in 'no question too stupid!' thread!

eduardo_b

Jun 27, 2012
45°28′N 09°11′E
Hi- I've searched through this forum for similar stupid question and did not find an answer I was looking for. So as the title says, I have a unlocked ATT I747 with tmobile sim.

Do i continue to flash i747 ROMs or t-mobile roms from this point on? what about recommended bootloaders for either att or tmobile roms?

thanks for allowing me to participate in 'no question too stupid!' thread!

If you flash custom ROMs, you will retain root. If you flash T-Mobile ROMs, you will lose root and have to re-root. Bootloaders depend on the version of ROM (i.e., 4.2, 4.3, 4.4), and this is typically noted in the ROM thread OP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for those who have what they may feel is a stupid or simple question. Please read through the thread and use the search first. I know Google doesn't always like to make it easy to find answers, so lets work together to give answers where we can. And please remember you will be reported for flaming others.

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Thanks goes to lumin30 for coming up with this idea. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494423
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing. Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing.

Amazing times we live in with miniature pink robot bunnies keeping our phones running! Wish my eyes were smaller so I could see inside of the battery and say "HI BUNNAY! THANKYOU!" :)

Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats

It floats?! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? If we strap some ice to our phone and hold on tight we can float up to the cottoncandy clouds and eat all we want! Yum
    Is there a way to mute/remove the freaking annoying chime/bell sound that the dialer makes when connecting the the line when dialing a number ?
    open dialer, hit menu, settings/call alert/call status tones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?