[Xposed][ICS+] XVoicePlus - Voice+ with Xposed

Search This thread

runnirr

Mar 17, 2011
Seattle
https://app.box.com/s/9vhheh17i8wb69w45uem 2.1.2_hangouts

Hangouts receives notifications for incoming GV messages. Any incoming CDMA messages will make hangouts force close. This could possibly cause problems with anything else the differs between CDMA and GSM (phone calls, etc). I didn't test this much (just that a GV message came in to hangouts on 4.4.2). Other apps should still work but I didn't try any.

For anyone interested in what got screwed up:

Normal android sdk uses android.telephony.SmsMessage to handle sms messages. This is what XVoice+ previously hooked to handle the fake sms messages. Hangouts decided to use the deprecated android.telephony.gsm.SmsMessage. These are somehow unrelated, and they determine what type of message (cdma or gsm) is expected using different methods. I'll continue to look at this some more.

CZroe

Nov 13, 2011
Newnan, GA
Still using 1.3 here and outgoing messages suddenly started going out as native SMS last night. Would've noticed it sooner before running up a huge bill if there was some indication that the replies were coming to the wrong number. :(

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

FrankDeath

Sep 26, 2009
If I have SMS set to blocked with my carrier (ting), can this be used to have messages I compose in the stock MMS app using Dragon voice assistant be piped through Google Voice? (which is actually where I send txts normally)

Sent from my rooted SPH-L900

I have a Nexus 5 on Ting. I also have SMS messages blocked. I'm able to send text messages from TextSecure through google voice.

I have not, however, succeeded at receiving google voice text messages in TextSecure. I'm running the stock 4.4.2 kernel, XPosed 2.5.1, and XVoice+ 2.1.

Reactions: kchannel9

AaronCompNetSys

Jun 19, 2007
Just so everyone knows, Hangouts official updates roll out super slow. I didn't get mine for Moto X Verizon until just a couple hours ago.

FrankDeath

Sep 26, 2009
I have not, however, succeeded at receiving google voice text messages in TextSecure. I'm running the stock 4.4.2 kernel, XPosed 2.5.1, and XVoice+ 2.1.

I am able to receive google voice text messages in TextSecure using XVoice+ 1.3a. The google voice app's "Receive text messages" setting in "Sync and Notifications" doesn't have any effect. The only quirk is that timestamps in TextSecure for received messages are off by 14 years and a few hours.

Bobby060

Feb 7, 2014
I noticed that time stamps are off. And I'm running the version of Hangouts with integrated sms Hangouts threads, that's the new one, right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kchannel9

Dec 24, 2011
California
I am able to receive google voice text messages in TextSecure using XVoice+ 1.3a. The google voice app's "Receive text messages" setting in "Sync and Notifications" doesn't have any effect. The only quirk is that timestamps in TextSecure for received messages are off by 14 years and a few hours.

So there is hope

Sent from my rooted SPH-L900

nvincent

Apr 24, 2013
So, I have a question. How do you think google's shutdown of apps that use google voice will affect your app? If they get rid of the Google voice app completely, will xvoice still work?

It will be interesting to see what they do in 20 days. Hopefully, in the worst case scenario, you will be able to use the new hangouts app in the same way you are using voice now.

cadarn07

Jul 10, 2012
So, I have a question. How do you think google's shutdown of apps that use google voice will affect your app? If they get rid of the Google voice app completely, will xvoice still work?

It will be interesting to see what they do in 20 days. Hopefully, in the worst case scenario, you will be able to use the new hangouts app in the same way you are using voice now.

It's my understanding they are implementing the very functionality that this module provides. So although this module may cease to function in its current state, it probably won't matter.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

nvincent

Apr 24, 2013
Through the hangouts app itself, you will most likely be able to send google voice messages. I use a third party application, however (Disa). It will be sad not to be able to use google voice with it.

cadarn07

Jul 10, 2012
Through the hangouts app itself, you will most likely be able to send google voice messages. I use a third party application, however (Disa). It will be sad not to be able to use google voice with it.

Oh yeah. I apologize, I wasn't thinking about the other apps people use. I just use the module for hangouts integration.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

runnirr

Mar 17, 2011
Seattle
Working good for me now. Bumping the Xposed repo would be great if you have the time.
I after I work out the issue with CDMA messages I'll update the Xposed repo. Still working on this.

Still using 1.3 here and outgoing messages suddenly started going out as native SMS last night. Would've noticed it sooner before running up a huge bill if there was some indication that the replies were coming to the wrong number. :(

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Hacks aren't perfect =(. I'll remove the fallback to carrier number if this is enabled and just fail to send messages. This should help in at least some situations. There still won't be a visible difference between the messages though and may not fix your specific problem.

The 2.x build have a fix for the time. They still seem a little off, but by hours instead of years. I think last time I checked it was ~7 hours off. angouts shows the received time so I don't look at it much. TextSecure seeming shows the sent time (according to the message) which XVoice+ does set.

I suspect this will stop working whenever Google blocks 3rd party apps, but we'll find out soon for sure. As of now I don't plan fixing this (assuming it does break) after they make their changes.

Link_of_Hyrule

Oct 12, 2010
Ogden, Utah
www.ubermicrostudios.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This module was previously developed by runnirr.

A majority of the information in the original post has been moved here:
    Wiki on github

Alpha and beta testers needed!
    If you're willing to communicate with me directly to test new features and/or ensure compatibility with your particular device and ROM feel free to PM me. I'd prefer to communicate via messaging on either hangouts or skype. I'm especially looking for people using Sense or Touchwiz based ROMs, but anyone can be helpful. If you can take a logcat and willing to test a barrage of experimental builds, I WANT YOU!

My own testing will take place on:
    Nexus 7 2013 (FLO)
    Dirty Unicorns DU_flo_4.4.4_20140826.v7.9-TESTBUILD
    3.4.0-ElementalX-N7-2.14
    XPosed + Nexus 7 SMS Enabler

==========​
    So this is my first post releasing anything so hopefully this goes well.
    Introduction
    I exclusively use Google Voice for texting but find the features of other sms apps to be much better than the Google Voice apps. It seems other do as well since it is built into Cyanogenmod now. I decided to go back to stock and missed the option of using other sms apps with Google Voice. This is based largely off the Voice+ module from Cyanogenmod, but implements its own hooks to know when an sms message is being sent, or Google Voice message is being received.

Installation
    • Install Google Voice from the play store if you don't have it already
    • Install the XVoice+ apk from the downloads section at the end of this post
    • Enable XVoice+ in Xposed
    • Run the XVoice+ app and select your Google Voice account
    • Disable "Text Notifications" in the Google Voice app settings to avoid double notifications
    • Reboot your phone to enable the Xposed module
    Note: It my take a few minutes after rebooting before your messages start showing in your sms app of choice. A toast will show when the service is up and running.

On a tablet
    I don't have a modern tablet but @Link_of_Hyrule put together a small guide about how he got it working.
    https://plus.google.com/102556815242935253163/posts/YyFVaTQrPmi
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52328473&postcount=606

Screenshot
    UMwdpCH.jpg

How it works
    Sending
    The VoicePlusService runs on startup and listens for a NEW_OUTGOING_SMS so that it knows when a message is being sent. Cyanogenmod made this a system-wide intent, but it is not available on all other roms. Instead, I made my own intent.
    I hook all outgoing sms messages through the SmsManager and stops them from being sent. Instead I send my custom NEW_OUTGING_SMS intent that is picked up by the OutgoingSmsReceiver which then starts the VoicePlusService. The handling of sending the message via Google Voice is the same logic used in the Cyanogenmod app.

Receiving
    Receiving message is done by hooking into the Google Voice app's PushNotificationReceiver. This means that we know of the message as soon as the Google Voice app does. Conveniently, this notification happens even when notifications in Google Voice are turned off, so you don't need to briefly see the Google Voice notification, have it disappear, and then see the sms notification.
    Once we see we have an incoming Google Voice message, we broadcast another custom intent that is picked up by a IncomingVoiceReceiver which starts the VoicePlusService.The service then handles the message and broadcasts a system wide RECEIVED_SMS intent that is used by all sms applications.

Side Effects
    Because of the way some system apps are being overwrote, I expect that some things will break.
    • All outoging SMS messages from apps that use the SmsManager will be intercepted and sent via Google Voice. To send via your carrier, select "Disable" within XVoice+
    • The app grants itself permission for BROADCAST_SMS which does not appear in the list of permission since it is a system level permission.
    • The app grants itself WRITE_SMS permisson on 4.4+ so that it can save messages in the sms history

Downloads
    Please try one of the latest Experimental Builds if you would like to test new features or help smash bugs!

2.5RC1 - XVoicePlus-v2.5-RC1.apk
    Changelog -
    • Support for Sense and Touchwiz based ROMs
    • Added sync settings (Reduces data usage)
    • Slightly reduced memory usage
    • Fixes potential memory leak when sync settings are disabled
    Known Issues -
    • Receiving emoji causes apps to crash
    • Receiving long messages causes apps to crash
    • Occasional outgoing message duplication, especially during polling and reboots.

2.4.2 - XVoicePlus2.4.2.apk

Source
    Repository on Github

Enjoy and please leave any feedback.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [Xposed][ICS+] XVoicePlus - Voice+ with Xposed, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    B2OJustin, runnirr
    Xposed Package Name:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.4.2
    Stable Release Date: 2014-04-30
    Current Beta Version: 2.5RC1
    Beta Release Date: 2014-09-03

Created 2014-08-31
    Last Updated 2014-09-03
    Transferring Ownership

Just so everyone knows, I am transferring ownership of this project to B2OJustin. I have not used this module in many months, and Justin is adding features that people have been asking for and I have been neglecting. I'll leave it up to him to handle additional feature requests, and when to release new versions of the app. I'll still check into this thread now-and-then to see how things are going.

This was a fun project while I used it, but I have moved on. I am glad to see that so many people still find this useful and I hope the Justin (and others) are able to continue to improve on this module.
    https://app.box.com/s/9vhheh17i8wb69w45uem 2.1.2_hangouts

Hangouts receives notifications for incoming GV messages. Any incoming CDMA messages will make hangouts force close. This could possibly cause problems with anything else the differs between CDMA and GSM (phone calls, etc). I didn't test this much (just that a GV message came in to hangouts on 4.4.2). Other apps should still work but I didn't try any.

For anyone interested in what got screwed up:

Normal android sdk uses android.telephony.SmsMessage to handle sms messages. This is what XVoice+ previously hooked to handle the fake sms messages. Hangouts decided to use the deprecated android.telephony.gsm.SmsMessage. These are somehow unrelated, and they determine what type of message (cdma or gsm) is expected using different methods. I'll continue to look at this some more.
    For any people who are trying to use the new Hangouts with this -

Hangouts doesn't like my fake sms messages anymore. I have created a build that just puts incoming GV messages into your SMS db. This allows GV messages to show up in Hangouts (or any sms app) but the app won't give a notification about the incoming message. I suggest turning on the Google Voice App notifications for the messages. Sending from the SMS app still sends via GV.

https://app.box.com/s/oukh38ct4gl8wu5yo2ug 2.1.1_hangouts

I'll continue trying to get this to work correctly, but it looks like Hangouts doesn't used standard methods for receiving SMS messages.
    Xposed repo has been updated.