[Q] Hangouts - UAProf Modification
I'm usually more of a lurker and use XDA to gather info mostly, but I've been trying to get Hnagouts to work with MMS for a while. So my issue is that I am using Softbank Prepaid in Japan, and Softbank for whatever reason is VERY particular about what is allowed on their network. I have a Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 and have been able to get the stock Messaging app to work with the MMS settings by figuring out the backend way of changing the UAProf settings so that Softbank sees it as an iPhone, thus enabling the MMS. (to do this launch ADB (on computer) / Terminal Emulator (on Phone, I believe SU access is needed) then launch command:
am broadcast -a com.sec.android.app.mmsprovision
Now I've been wanting to integrate with Hangouts for a while, and the settings that are available on hangouts doesn't really let you do anything, worse of all it seems to bypass the settings of the system, so the backend way doesn't work as hangouts seems to report it's own UAProf settings and doesn't seem to let you customize much. Even the custom APN settings seem to miss some files that are normally found.
Recently I have searched and I found that someone had posted about it in Japanese, using their HTC One (M7).
As I am not a programmer and work in very basics with command codes I was hoping someone could help me to make sense of this. I've used Google Chrome to translate the page but I'm still not 100% what needs to be done before I attempt it.
Please note that none of this is my work and it all comes from: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/shimooka/20140212/1392176717
From what I can see he has found a way to change the UAProf settings so that Hangouts reports that it is an iPhone. I can see that it needs to use ADB, but does it also need Perl and Java? also what is this modifying? Or is this similar to what I've already done using the command above?
$ export PATH = / Path/to/jre7/bin :/ path / to / Android-sdk-windows / build-tools / 19 . 0 . 0 /: $ PATH
$ Adb Shell mount -a
$ # fetch Framework-Res.Apk
$ Adb pull / system / framework / framework-res.apk
$ # Backup
$ \ cp -pf -Res.Apk Framework Framework-Res.Apk_
$ Java -jar Apktool_2. 0 .0 B9.Jar D -Advance Framework-Res.Apk
$ # modify user-agent, Uaprofile in Resources
$ cp -P Framework-res/res/values/strings.Xml Strings.Org.Xml
$ Perl -I -P -s -e ' s # # Http://Www.Google.Com/oha/rdf/ua-profile-kila.Xml Http://Www.Apple.Com/mms/uaprof.Rdf # g ' Framework-res/res/values/strings.Xml
$ Perl -I -P -s -e ' s # <string Name="config_mms_user_agent"> CyanogenMod </ string> # <string Name="config_mms_user_agent"> IPhoneOS/3.0 (7A341) </ string> # g ' Framework- res / res / values / strings.xml
$ find. -iname \ *. BAK -delete
$ # install as 127.Apk
$ java -jar Apktool_2. 0 .0 B9.Jar if Framework-Res.Apk_
$ # build-Framework Res.Apk
$ java-jar Apktool_2. 0 .0 B9.Jar b-Advance Framework-res
$ # Update Resources.Arsc only
$ cp -P Framework-res/build/apk/resources.Arsc.
$ 7z u-tzip-mx0 framework-res.apk resources.arsc
$ # push Framework-Res.Apk
$ Adb push framework-res.apk / system / framework / framework-res.apk
$ Adb Shell chmod 644 / system / Framework / Framework-Res.Apk
Thanks for the insights!