T-Mobile Hotspot "Upsell" - TOTAL Workaround

Search This thread

bobpantsspongesquare

Feb 6, 2012
Bikini Bottom
www.dropbox.com
Just read about using Safari as useragent to get tethering to work. Tried it and BAM! Guess it makes sense as Safari is the same across all iOS devices. Anyway, working great for me as it allows me to tether my PC to my phone AND watch Netflix with no issues. Also, my wife uses FireFox on her laptop and she's able to tether to her phone and watch netflix as well as browse unfettered by the TMO notice. HTH

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
With all due respect to the original author, I have repackaged fiddler with a T-Mobile Bypass User Agent already in place. I have created a website and host it here. Props to the OP for this trick.

http://screwyoutmobile.com/

Very nice! It's great to have a version available that works out of the box for T-Mobile users, with no additional configuration needed. I've done something similar with my Fiddler installs. I've set them all to default to a custom blank user agent. Doing so bypasses the detection, but still serves desktop versions of websites.

Ribicki85

Jun 14, 2014
I am curious I have this set up and working on my ps4 I can download all my games and updates. I can download the game thief updates but not the game itself? its a large file. is there something withing fiddler that regulates how big file can be downloaded ? if I go thru just reguar hotspot the game will down load confused......

n't detected by T-Mobile and is for desktop pages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T879 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app[/QUOTE]

Cynagen

Feb 20, 2006
San Jose
www.cynagen.com
I have flashed my phone with a customized version of the stock firmware so I keep the wifi calling feature, all I've done is edit the APN to match my regular one and I can tether all day without it registering I'm using anything other than my phone. It looks like on fast.t-mobile.com APN they don't bother checking the user agent string at all. Regularly blowing over 10gb on wireless data, usually less than 20gb a month. I've had to use my hotspot to provide Internet for my entire house before without much issue. Going strong like this for 6+ months now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app

glasscitysd

Jun 30, 2010
love this work around its flawless for my pc doesn't really work well for my ps4 but it does allow netflix on it which my pc cant do for whatever reason so ill take what i can get lol

Mar 13, 2015
I have flashed my phone with a customized version of the stock firmware so I keep the wifi calling feature, all I've done is edit the APN to match my regular one and I can tether all day without it registering I'm using anything other than my phone. It looks like on fast.t-mobile.com APN they don't bother checking the user agent string at all. Regularly blowing over 10gb on wireless data, usually less than 20gb a month. I've had to use my hotspot to provide Internet for my entire house before without much issue. Going strong like this for 6+ months now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app

i have had my phone flashed for a yr now using the unrestricted hotspot that came with the flash. jsut up untill recently my hotspot maxed out its usual GB. Now everytime i go to a site it takes me to the tmobile hotspot page. it seems tmobile has finally figure a way to stop rooted phones from having unrestricted tether. can anyone else comfirm???

Masterchief87

Oct 26, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Moto G 5G
i have had my phone flashed for a yr now using the unrestricted hotspot that came with the flash. jsut up untill recently my hotspot maxed out its usual GB. Now everytime i go to a site it takes me to the tmobile hotspot page. it seems tmobile has finally figure a way to stop rooted phones from having unrestricted tether. can anyone else comfirm???

If you switch the user agent on your pc you shouldn't be getting blocked. I use fiddler2 like the op says and I can tether all day

Reactions: this_one_android

Masterchief87

Oct 26, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Moto G 5G
Yes that works too but I need tether for online gaming on the Xbox and ps4..is there any way to bypass tether to be able to get back online gaming??

I can tether all I want on my pc or tablet but the only way I know to tether on Xbox is to pay the fee, which sucks cause now that I'm paying for the hotspot for gaming I can't stream anything cause it'll use up my 2.5gb tethering allowance.

bchadm76

Nov 20, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
Samsung Galaxy S20
Nexus 5 and Metro PCS Unlimited Data and Hotspot

I recently switched from Net10 to Metro PCS due to Metros Unlimited data without throttling. When I called to activate the Nexus 5 I was first told that I needed an unlock code because the customer service reps are not trained to know the details of Unlocked Phones such as a Google Nexus 5 which is built as an unlocked device and can be used on multi carriers such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or any of the GSM prepaid providers. After I explained how the phone was already unlocked the rep then realized that I could use the Nexus on Metro PCS. The first call I was testing my options and did not yet have the new Sim card to go through the activation process, so I called back a few days later when I had the Metro micro SIM and I already knew that I might have to explain the Nexus 5 again which I have done !u research and feel pretty confident in what I know. This time I didn't have to explain as much as the initia call. The process was quick to activate with only one issue about the mobile hotspot plan which the rep said that the Nexus 5 was not eligible for the Hotspot plan. I didn't question why because I had a feeling my Hotspot was still going to work as normal, and sure enough I ended up with a better deal by not having a limit to the hotspot data. I live in an area without DSL or Cable internet so the Hotspot routine was my only option . I've now been with Metro PCS for over a week and my current data is at 40GB, mostly from using the hotspot to stream video and music.. I haven't had any interruption using the hotspot with my tablet and friends phone connected on a daily basis. I use a Roku to stream movies.

Now for the only restrictions I've ran into was using my PC browser such as Chrome or Internet explorer. That's when I will! see the T-Mobile/Metro upsell page asking to start a hotspot plan , although I was told my phone was not compatible when actually it just doesn't require any DATA plan and feels really good to actually have Unlimited data like the old days with Verizons Unlimited plan.

So my next lesson will be learning how to workaround the Browser restrictions on the PC only, my tab!et and phone have yet to show any issue. With hotspot use. I can still connect to !y PC just not on websites. Still a great deal at methe moment, 60$ for phone and internet.

So if you have a Nexus 5 or possibly another stock unlocked phone like the Moto X, or Nexus 6. I will make sure to make any changes if they were to arise.

RossT83

Jul 9, 2014
I recently switched from Net10 to Metro PCS due to Metros Unlimited data without throttling. When I called to activate the Nexus 5 I was first told that I needed an unlock code because the customer service reps are not trained to know the details of Unlocked Phones such as a Google Nexus 5 which is built as an unlocked device and can be used on multi carriers such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or any of the GSM prepaid providers. After I explained how the phone was already unlocked the rep then realized that I could use the Nexus on Metro PCS. The first call I was testing my options and did not yet have the new Sim card to go through the activation process, so I called back a few days later when I had the Metro micro SIM and I already knew that I might have to explain the Nexus 5 again which I have done !u research and feel pretty confident in what I know. This time I didn't have to explain as much as the initia call. The process was quick to activate with only one issue about the mobile hotspot plan which the rep said that the Nexus 5 was not eligible for the Hotspot plan. I didn't question why because I had a feeling my Hotspot was still going to work as normal, and sure enough I ended up with a better deal by not having a limit to the hotspot data. I live in an area without DSL or Cable internet so the Hotspot routine was my only option . I've now been with Metro PCS for over a week and my current data is at 40GB, mostly from using the hotspot to stream video and music.. I haven't had any interruption using the hotspot with my tablet and friends phone connected on a daily basis. I use a Roku to stream movies.

Now for the only restrictions I've ran into was using my PC browser such as Chrome or Internet explorer. That's when I will! see the T-Mobile/Metro upsell page asking to start a hotspot plan , although I was told my phone was not compatible when actually it just doesn't require any DATA plan and feels really good to actually have Unlimited data like the old days with Verizons Unlimited plan.

So my next lesson will be learning how to workaround the Browser restrictions on the PC only, my tab!et and phone have yet to show any issue. With hotspot use. I can still connect to !y PC just not on websites. Still a great deal at methe moment, 60$ for phone and internet.

So if you have a Nexus 5 or possibly another stock unlocked phone like the Moto X, or Nexus 6. I will make sure to make any changes if they were to arise.

I switched from Strait Talk to Metro PCS today. Their customer service is garbage! If you want the story on that, just ask. Anyway, like yourself I was used to having use of my hotspot feature until switching to Metro. I recieved the dreaded upsell page. But Fiddler was a quick fix and works with Firefox beautifully. I have a rooted GS3 SGH-T999L and it has always worked on T-Mobiles nework until I switched to Metro! Go figure!

big_c

May 27, 2011
virginia beach
follow the first few directions to open the connection to the fiddler server Configure Fiddler for Android / Google Nexus 7

With all due respect to the original author, I have repackaged fiddler with a T-Mobile Bypass User Agent already in place. I have created a website and host it here. Props to the OP for this trick.

http://screwyoutmobile.com/

Would this setup also work for metropcs or would I have to change a few things. Also I should be connecting ps4 to the pc not the phone right. Been having trouble with this can get the pc to work but not the ps4.

jovan123

Jul 25, 2009
I verified you can switch your user agent to a mobile device using chrome extension UA spoofer and works perfectly on MetroPCS.

Cyclore516

Apr 21, 2014
Has there been any progress on this lately??? For godsakes, is there not an app for android that can do this like fiddler2?? Like a T-Mobile Hotspot Fiddler app? Please...I have used almost all my 5GB Hotspot Data left on my $80 unlimited everything T-Mobile plan. :crying:

razorj7

Sep 30, 2010
San Jose
PDAnet (easy solution)

Hello everyone,

So I have been having major issues with T-mobile hotspot page haunting my dreams. Apparently, changing the UA no longer works, neither does changing the APNs, or using VPNs. I attempted to try and use Fiddler, however I have a Macbook, and Fiddler for OSX is difficult to get going.

However, I did fine a solution that is working, even as I type this =D. I grabbed PDAnet from the Play store, and combined with the PDA you download to your PC (Windows or OSX) this allows USB tethering. This works just like Fiddler, where all traffic is going through PDA. There are 2 small issues, you can only use USB tethering**, and you still have to change your UA to GoogleBot or phone/tablet. I have found using tablet (or Nexus 7 on my extension) provides the closest to normal browsing experience. Also, you will definitely wind up buying the license from PDAnet, otherwise they limit your usage and you'll consistently get interrupted and have to restart the app. But hey, it's only a one-time purchase of $8, which I gladly paid after using it without the license and seeing how well it works.

This solution is also easy, simple, and should be usable by everyone (not sure about linux..).

**The license purchase also works for FoxFi, which is supposed to allow PDAnet to filter traffic through WiFi hotspot as well, in order to have the normal wireless hotspot. I have not tested this yet, since it's rare I have multiple devices connected to my phone.

Reactions: barfingmonkey

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're like me, then you have a data plan with T-Mobile that includes only 2.5GB of data for tethering. After you 2.5GB is up,T-Mobile begins redirecting all of your tethered traffic to a webpage prompting you to buy more tethering data.

T-Mobile does this by reading all of the headers on every HTTP request. It analyzes each one and reads the User-Agent string. This is what tells websites how to deliver their content for you and is why you only get mobile versions of webpages on your phone and not on your laptop. So, many people got around this by spoofing the user agent with a browser plugin to make it look like your laptop was requesting the mobile version of websites (so T-Mobile would think that it's a phone requesting the data, not a tethered laptop.) However this solution only works for that specific browser. Other browsers, applications, and devices that do not support User-Agent spoofing were left without a solution. Was I really the only one trying to tether my PS3 for Netflix and gaming?

So some people turned to VPNs which basically act as a secure proxy so that T-Mobile could not read the traffic and tell what the User-Agent was. But this often costs money and/or slows down your network speed. Seeing as how people who are looking for a tether workaround are trying to not spend money, and are trying to use T-Mobile's lightning fast LTE, this isn't really a practical solution.
    So after spending hours and hours looking for a solution, I came to the conclusion that there was none yet.

I deduced that the obvious solution would be to modify the packets on the fly and change the user-agent string of every HTTP request as it came to the phone before forwarding it on to T-Mobile. Luckily for us, all HTTP requests that have no User-Agent string or a string of "null/null" etc. are automatically accepted! So all that needed to be done was to strip the user-agent string of all of the outgoing HTTP requests - on the fly.
    My first thought was that hopefully there was an android app that could do this.

There isn't.

And I am not capable of making one but if you find one or can make one, please tell me and I will adjust this explanation because that would make things a bit simpler. However, since we don't live in a perfect world, we have to run a program on a computer and route all traffic through that program. This wonderful little program that I came across called "Fiddler" (it won't let me post the link but it's www[dot]fiddler2[dot]com) is just what we need. It's a completely free program.

Go download and install fiddler. This program will allow us to monitor and 'fiddle' with the network traffic on the fly!
    First, fire up your tethering app on your phone and connect your computer. I personally use android WiFi tether but I suppose it probably doesn't matter which one you use. Once you've connected your computer. Open up fiddler, go to "Rules," "User-Agents," and select "Custom..." A window will pop up. Leave this blank and click okay. Now, all of the network traffic from that computer with have its user-agent string modified to "User-Agent:[blank]" Test this out on any browser on your computer and you should not be redirected to the upsell page.

Now for all of your other devices! I was particularly concerned with my PS3 but any device that supports proxy use will work. That's a hell of a lot more devices than the number that support UA spoofing haha. Go to "Connection Settings" on your PS3 and select "Manual"
    Go through your setup as usual and connect to your phone's wifi hotspot. When you come to the page that says "Proxy Settings" select "Use"
    For the IP address go back to your computer and look at Fiddler. In the top-right corner there is an image of two computers and it says "Online" next to it. Hover over that icon and it will have an IP address listed. This is the virtual proxy that Fiddler has set up for auxillary incoming traffic on the local network. Type that IP address into the PS3's proxy settings and use port 8888 (you may have to configure your computer firewall to allow incoming traffic on that address/port)

Also, in Fiddler go to the AutoResponder tab and check the box that says "Unmatched requests passthrough." This is so that HTTP requests that come in without a User-agent already defined will just be passed on. If this box is not checked you may get frequent 404 errors.

Finish up the connection settings on the PS3 and let it fly! You can watch the traffic on Fiddler in real time!

This is my first post on XDA and this workaround is brand new as far as I can tell so there may be some kinks that need to be worked out.
    Let me know if you have any questions or problems!

Respectfully,
    Hunter.
    Restrictions that should not be allowed. I guarantee that the avg data user does not and will not ever notice any difference no matter how much anyone uses. It all just comes down to money. The service is there and available and we all have been paying for it for most of our lives. They look at it as money. Thats all they care about. Now tell me, we are wrong for using something that is advertised and we pay for? No. They are wrong for limiting us and cheating us and lying to us and stealing from US!
    Will someone please for the love of God. Tell me if there is a work around for with tether router? Or is it still just vpn and proxy?

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

I'm gonna chime in on this. Realistically none of these threads should even exist. It's stealing and shouldn't be allowed out here. What do you guys think T-mo is gonna do with the constant threads about how to hack their tethering, etc. They'll just start locking the bootloaders on you guys. You just watch and see. John Legere has already said that people are rooting their phones to bypass their restrictions, etc and clearly this is an issue for the company. So don't be naiive and think they'll just sit around and let people find a way around it.
    **** John Legere and **** you *****
    Just read about using Safari as useragent to get tethering to work. Tried it and BAM! Guess it makes sense as Safari is the same across all iOS devices. Anyway, working great for me as it allows me to tether my PC to my phone AND watch Netflix with no issues. Also, my wife uses FireFox on her laptop and she's able to tether to her phone and watch netflix as well as browse unfettered by the TMO notice. HTH
    Is there any more news on how workable tethering is on MPCS? I would be looking to get a phone to use as a hotspot for my primary home internet; I download lots of podcasts and music, so I have high monthly usage, but the kind of regional usage metering that Sprint (my current carrier) has doesn't affect me.
    I'm using tmo and i haven't had any problem tethering (lately) via wifi, and pdanet got me past the throttling tethering via USB on Ubuntu and windows

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    customrules

Just wanted to post this for you guys.

Here is a copy of my fiddler rules. these rules make googlebot the default user agent, and more importantly they allow your downloads to pass through fiddler.

I was having an issue with fiddler where when you click a link to download a file, fiddler would have to cache the whole file before the file popped up in my browser. this is rather annoying when downloading large files.

With my rules, fiddler now checks if the download is bigger than 1MB. If it is fiddler doesn't cache the file and it will popup immediately in your browser. Fiddler is still changing the user agent so you won't get the upsell page. It works really well.

All ya have to do is copy my CustomRules.js into your "User\Documents\Fiddler2\Scripts" folder overwriting the old file.
    CustomRules.js - 20.89 KB

Also you can make fiddler autostart to your system tray by doing this:
    copy shortcut to fiddler into your startup folder.
    right click shortcut and click properties.
    in the target box add "-quiet" without the quotes
    target box should look like this-> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fiddler2\Fiddler.exe" -quiet

Anyways, fiddler has been working great for me. I use tmobile as my home internet with no problems. I use about 250gb/month with no upsell page. I have a 60ms ping and 14mb/s connection all the time.

Works awesome.

-Polluti0n