Permanent Screen Damage Thread

Search This thread

JRJ442

Jan 18, 2011
Salisbury, Md
Google Pixel 6a
But you can't rule out the possibility? Do we know if this started with kitkat release or before.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Yes you can. Bootloaders have absolutely no bearing on heat in a phone or how a display works. There's no possible way the bootloader would affect it one way or another. They're not even tied together. Now a kernel, and certain commits do. Kernels have drivers in them for displays among other things. Which is why what dr87 said is the only thing that makes sense.

S

simple_fear85

No you can't. Your telling me a downgraded bootloader can't have an issue with a kernal made for kitkat. I think it can. I seen something like this happen before with a tablet. Overpowering a bootloader with a kernal could cause overheating

JRJ442

Jan 18, 2011
Salisbury, Md
Google Pixel 6a
No you can't. Your telling me a downgraded bootloader can't have an issue with a kernal made for kitkat. I think it can. I seen something like this happen before with a tablet. Overpowering a bootloader with a kernal could cause overheating

Once a bootloader loads the boot image, that's it. The kernel takes over, nothing is being overpowered. As I stated, the phone builds heat while sitting in recovery anyway. So that's where some of the heat's coming from. Not for the split second the bootloader is lining up the boot image to take over. Not only that, these issues just started right before dr87 and Savoca both warned about those commits, which was 2 weeks ago. 4.4 source based ROMs and AutoRec have been around much longer than that. If AutoRec was the problem, we would've seen this pop up long before now. And the Gnex thing you mentioned was wrong, we never had to downgrade anything. I bought that phone on launch day and the only thing that had to be done was renaming a file so recovery would stick very early on. It just sounds like you're fishing for something to blame other than what's really going on

Last edited:
S

simple_fear85

I am disagree with u on all and leave it at that. I'm done arguing

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

My phone works great lg g2 no black or white lines. I am trying to help people with the issue.

T

Tejh

I am disagree with u on all and leave it at that. I'm done arguing

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

My phone works great lg g2 no black or white lines. I am trying to help people with the issue.

You're wrong.

Literally the definition of the linux bootloader is

"The boot loader is the first piece of software started by the BIOS or UEFI. It is responsible for loading the kernel with the wanted kernel parameters, and initial RAM disk before initiating the boot process. You can use different kinds of bootloaders, such as GRUB and Syslinux. Some bootloaders only support BIOS or UEFI and some support both."

The bootloader does literally nothing except load the kernel and it's parameters. It doesn't generate heat, it doesn't mess with code, it doesn't do anything except a system check and execution of what it's programmed to do. Autorec downgrades our bootloaders to the jellybean one because it's still vulnerable to the loki patch and thus we can still flash custom recoveries etc. If the bootloader was to blame, we would have seen it in Jellybean. You're wrong and your entire assumption about the bootloader is wrong. This all started exploding after a few commits were placed into kernels and people loaded them not knowing. The white lines issue existed before this permanent damage as well because we were unaware at the time that two different panels existed and two different kernel stacks were needed in order to initialize them properly. That didn't cause this heat damage issue.

Stop placing blame where it isn't warranted.

S

simple_fear85

see its funny that you guys all think I'm blaming someone else when I haven't blamed anyone so just keep your opinions to yourself just like I am right now have a nice day

jesssiii

Aug 19, 2010
Southern CA
This all started exploding after a few commits were placed into kernels and people loaded them not knowing.
I think everything you said is correct but the above. Only because someone got permanent damage after flashing xdabbeb's stock rom and kernel, which he (xdabbeb) stated never contained any of those commits. Someone on sprint who never flashed got it from an OTA, too. It makes it harder to track when people get that other non-permanent screen problem mixed up with this one, also.

S

simple_fear85

Look at the original post look like you're wrong too

T

Tejh

I think everything you said is correct but the above. Only because someone got permanent damage after flashing xdabbeb's stock rom and kernel, which he (xdabbeb) stated never contained any of those commits. Someone on sprint who never flashed got it from an OTA, too. It makes it harder to track when people get that other non-permanent screen problem mixed up with this one, also.

you're correct that it had happened before hand, but i said that it exploded. meaning that a massive amount of people started receiving this problem. i completely agree with you that it makes it more difficult to track this problem though :\

B

bachera

well those red lines in op make heat definately muchmuch more likely. Compass your theory may be spot on.

Compass Linux

Apr 24, 2011
Redmi Note 10 Pro
well those red lines in op make heat definately muchmuch more likely. Compass your theory may be spot on.
To give proper credit where credit is due, there are some posts mentioning heat as the possible cause, but not from me (as in it wasn't originally my idea). One theory I put in the OP, but searching there are others too.

Good thinking everyone!

Compass.

Last edited:

NicoC72

Jan 4, 2012
Fellows, check the RED BOLD TEXT I left in the OP. It came from @autoprime himself.

It's important. ;)

Compass.

Great, so now we really don't have possible causes outside of hardware that doesn't like heat. Based off what I have read, I'm going to say it's the LGD panels not liking the heat. Looking at the 15 responses to that survey I made, 13 people who got black lines had a LGD/LGIT panel. Of course 15 responses doesn't really make up a large sample size.
Could be heat messing with the power delivery system throughout the device, just the power delivery to the screen, or just the panel hardware itself.

Reference link to spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WTeDaDGHOGh4XBZoIrl0MuGr6c8r5gchC6vNlenLrY0/pubhtml

And again, if you have black lines, PLEASE TAKE THE SURVEY! Having information like this is ALWAYS valuable to have around.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Not entirely, remember so far it's only a small sample size. There is also 1 report of the black lines popping up while the phone was running hot, but it seems like an outlier as the user was the only one who got the lines while on CM11 and one of the 2 that did a dirty flash.
If anyone is rich, we could use like 20-30 G2's, split by panel type, then just run through some tests to see if we can end up with a true fire method to get the black lines. Then just go from there!

hassaan123

Jul 5, 2011
Survey shows 1 victim from mahdi rom too :s I just got my phone repaired today, gonna stay with stock for now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there.

Following @Tijmen's advice, this thread is for those who have damaged screens (specifically the black lines). There are reports that a reboot triggers this issue. @autoprime had his G2 (never flashed recovery, kernel or ROM) get the black lines after rebooting into Stock Recovery when he was only using ADB with the phone hot.

My device:

Model: LG G2 D805
    Current ROM: CloudyStock 2.3 (flashed after the screen panel replacement through RMA)
    Panel: $ su -c 'cat /proc/cmdline' -> mdss_dsi_g2_lgd_cmd -> LGD Panel
    Damage: Permanent Vertical Black Lines on the right side (borrowed screenshot; even in recovery)

External Links: Reddit 01, Reddit 02

From #lg-g2@irc.freenode.net (irrelevant lines have been removed):

<gitanO0|vs980> hey all, long time since i've been on here
    <gitanO0|vs980> anyone experience top to bottm vertical black lines on the right side of their screen after flashing rom?
    <gitanO0|vs980> persists through boot and seen in recovery
    <gitanO0|vs980> i've seen some other folks have this issue after flashing rom but not seen any solutions
    <gitanO0|vs980> right after the flash of the rom, the lg boot screen came on and went all inverted and fading... I booted back to recovery and flashed nandroid and now have these perma lines on the right 1/8" or so of screen
    <@autoprime> wat rom? PA?
    <gitanO0|vs980> no carbon
    <gitanO0|vs980> one of the devs made some 24a bootstack changes for some of the repos
    <@autoprime> if it persists thru recovery it might be perm damage
    <gitanO0|vs980> yeah, that's what I figurered
    <gitanO0|vs980> might have to go the send it back route. any good "back to stock, unrooted" guides out there?
    <gitanO0|vs980> autoprime, is there anything I can test or look at to verify if it's permanent?
    <@autoprime> if its in recovery its most liekly perm
    <@autoprime> if it was rom only then its fixable
    <gitanO0|vs980> right

IMPORTANT - MUST READ IRC TEXT BELOW IN RED!:

<@autoprime> wah... i has lines on mah g2
    <@autoprime> RMA
    < Compass_Linux> no worries. the'll be present in the
    < Compass_Linux> G3 if LG does it right. ;)
    < chachin> lol
    < Compass_Linux> i wouldn't cheer to soon when this is fixed though. some regressions come with a vengeance.
    < Compass_Linux> s/to/too
    <@NookieBot> Compass_Linux meant: "i wouldn't cheer too soon when this is fixed though. some regressions come with a vengeance."
    <@autoprime> i wasnt even flashing custom rom
    <@autoprime> so its not the roms lol
    <@autoprime> wasnt using twrp either
    <@autoprime> was messing with adb and stock partitions
    <@autoprime> reboot into stock recovery... stock recovery has lines.
    < Compass_Linux> autoprime: you serious? :|
    <@autoprime> Compass_Linux yup :/
    <@autoprime> suxxxxxx
    * Compass_Linux needs a hammer for his G2. And quick!
    <@autoprime> i think its heat. mine was getting really hot in adb
    < Compass_Linux> autoprime: can i add your txt to the OP?
    < Compass_Linux> damn LG...
    <@autoprime> ok
    <@autoprime> 100% stock
    <@autoprime> :/
    <@autoprime> so based on how mine went down.. its not related to rom/kernel flashing :/
    < Compass_Linux> cr*p
    < Compass_Linux> i'll update the OP.
    <+savoca> autoprime: your g2 just got lines one morning?
    <+savoca> autoprime: apperently its a possible defect as well.
    <+savoca> however pa's kgsl sh*t bumps the probability by like 200%
    <@autoprime> today.. lines on right side
    <+Khaytsus> autoprime: So your device has lines now? geez
    <@autoprime> Khaytsus indeed
    <+Khaytsus> Has anyone positively identified this happening on a device that's always been stock?
    < Compass_Linux> Khaytsus: yes, just happened to autoprime right now.
    <@autoprime> my g2 was 2nd batch
    <+Khaytsus> Has anyone positively identified this happening on a device that's _always_ been stock?
    <@autoprime> :/
    <+Khaytsus> autoprime: Yours hasn't always been stock, right?
    <@autoprime> of course it has :|
    <+Khaytsus> really??
    <@autoprime> this is public record
    <@autoprime> :X
    <+Khaytsus> My point being nobody really knows what the failure cause is yet.
    <+Khaytsus> But nobody has had it happen on a device that's _always_ been stock that I'm aware of.
    <@autoprime> Khaytsus i wanna say heat. but idk
    <@autoprime> mine has been getting hot the past few days
    <@autoprime> never had issue before
    <@autoprime> then was using adb and got hot again.. rebooted into stock recovery.. lines

How I saw it happen:

After twrp flashed the files mentioned above, the phone rebooted to a black screen with a vertical non uniform white band in the middle, which rapidly expanded sideways until the screen suddenly went entirely black (that's the moment the screen was damaged), vibrated and turned off. When turned on, permanent vertical black lines on the right side of the screen in recovery, in ParanoidAndroid etc. Flashed a stock D805 ROM, problem persists.

What has been confirmed about the origin(s) of this issue:

@dr87 was kind to clarify this issue here, here, here and here.
    @houstonn has some information here and here.
    This issue in numbers of LG G2's affected is very low. What is increasing until now are the number of different ROMs affected.

*** Unconfirmed Information (updated 28/07/2014) ***:

It was previously thought that Custom ROMs/Kernel were the cause of this problem, and that Stock ROMs/Kernels were safe to use. This is no longer the case due to @autoprime's experience. I removed the safe and unsafe ROMs list because of this and the Black Lines Survey. The possible reason (and I'm speculating here) Custom ROMs are more prone to this is that modifications done to them or their Kernels accentuated the problem that the phone already has but haven't yet appeared (not all devices due to the still small number of complaints). With the information we have now, it indicates that a hardware failure related to heat is to blame, and using a Custom ROM/Kernel can make the failure appear more quickly than if you keep completely at Stock. In @autoprime's case the simple use of ADB then reboot into Stock Recovery with the phone hot triggered the black lines. And since people are asking what is safe to flash and whatnot, there is unfortunately no answer as of yet.
    My device is back from RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization). The panel has been replaced, and after flashing (recovery and ROM) no black lines.
    @dr87 has a very interesting post here. He has also built a custom twrp with thermal control. If you use this and it corrupts your /cache partition, do this.
    @chillstep1998 has a post about an app that can somehow remove (in his case all of them) the black lines. I'm not sure how it works but if you do chose to use it (if you have no warranty for example), remember that your results will likely vary from others experience.

Which Panel do I have? LGD or JDI?:

Here. Thanks go to @autoprime.

When was my G2 manufactured?:

Here. Thanks go to @jdk2. Once you input the URL, check the generated page source code (you might not have to do it; I did) and read this.
    Here is another (and better) way to check the same information. Thanks go to @razrzxcvbnm.
    I'll leave both methods just in case one or the other "disappears".

Hints:

@RusherDude has an interesting theory. If the conditions he mentions match yours, please confirm and elaborate the best you can in the thread. Thanks!

In the meantime (considering no permanent way to avoid the black lines):
    • You're crazy about Custom ROMs as I am and still have some months warranty for your device. I had my screen panel replaced under warranty and it's working fine for now. If I get the black lines again I can take it for repair, as long as I'm under warranty. Once my warranty expires, I'm on my own;
    • You're crazy about Custom ROMs as I am and no warranty for your device. You fall into two situations basically. Repair the screen now for around USD$80 (parts only), or live with this situation and flash to your hearts content. Repairing the screen hopefully fixes the problem permanently.
    Black Lines Survey:

User @NicoC72 created a Black Lines Survey, Graph and Spreadsheet. Thanks!

You can find me and lots of nice people in the #lg-g2 IRC Channel at irc.freenode.net (go to Freenode for instructions on how to connect)
    To see if I'm away, use /whois Compass_Linux.

Compass.
    Doing some more research on this I believe the way we are booting 4.4 on the 4.2 boot loader could be causing a huge issue (as houstonn mentioned before we are using the old bootstack and having to trick the aboot into booting the new kernel - which we believe is very important)

I think a possible cause may be coming from the way we boot up https://github.com/dr87/SimpleKernel/commit/1c04dda1c03021d3bba43632e61a79460ef96a59 which was authored back in the days when we first got 4.4 kernel booting.

Now I am not an expert on the bootloader but if we are blanking out the follow commands "qcom,mdss_dsi_lgit_video,qcom,mdss_dsi_lgit_cmd ,qcom,mdss_dsi_jdi_video,qcom,mdss_dsi_jdi_cmd"

Is the aboot actually pulling the correct info? I know that if you look at the actual info DTS panel info that the aboot is looking for it contains some sensitive information like clock rates. Different variants use different clock rates (D802 uses 919 while sprint uses 893, etc) and I am not sure if they are actually being detected correctly if we are inputting blank lines for the aboot to read. Jackpotclavin may know more about that.

Secondly, we are forcing the panel command line instead of having it auto detect like it did back in 4.2 which can cause problems.

The issue with this has already been seen not too long ago when it was found out that there was not only "mdss_dsi_g2_lgd_cmd" but a mdss_dsi_g2_jdi_cmd.

I found there is possibly another G2 screen the aboot can auto detect, the B1 revision of lgd variant. Everyone who currently has that B1 screen revision is being forced to lgd by the command line.

Now if we could possibly work around the fake aboot commands to get the correct command line / aboot info detected by itself it would be a very good thing. I think this could be done without the new aboot as it was automatically being done on our old kernel just a matter of figuring it out.
    Just a few things I have researched in the past on these breakouts (even back to 4.2)

Can happen on stock - but rare. I don't doubt there are some panel issues in these phones but if we only blame manufacturing we will see a lot more ruined screens in custom kernels

I can say the following for sure as I have seen specific outbreaks caused by the following. I also had a bad experience myself but didn't have permanent damage due to it.

KGSL commits can cause this

MDSS commits can cause this

In my own experience the above is confirmed, anything else would be guessing,

Playing with these commits make the issue much more likely, especially if they aren't properly merged

I've seen this happen on a stock kernel and I do believe there are some issues with screens naturally but its also apparent that certain kernel changes cause the issue to happen much more frequently to users who wouldn't have had this issue otherwise. I'm pretty sure the best approach right now is to not pull in mdss or kgsl commits into the kernel. I personally almost ruined my screen twice with 2 different KGSL commits.
    I'm not a display expert, but this sounds pretty familiar to us...

"A TAB fault is caused by a connection failure from the TAB that connects the transparent electrode layers to the video driver board of a panel.

If the display is subjected to physical shock, or a simple failure of the adhesive holding the TAB against the glass this could cause one or more TAB connections to fail inside the display. TAB faults require replacement of the display module itself. If these connections were to fail, the effect would be that entire rows or columns of pixels would fail to activate. This causes horizontal or vertical black lines to appear on the display while the rest of the display would appear normal. The horizontal failure runs from edge-to-edge; the vertical failure runs from top-to-bottom."

We can also see in this screenshot the physical connecter lines up with the exact area of the lines
    41pJlFTEOnL._SY300_.jpg

The right screen is flipped around, so the connecters are on the right side when facing us - exactly where the lines appear (resting near the hot CPU)
    I have plenty of facts. this rebuilt means nothing. If its going to happen it will happen. reguardless of a rebuilt or not. I also read where some people did the download and it still got the black lines. One persons change on a program means nothing if it still happens.

You are under the impression ( and I guess some other people) I built this TWRP as a black line fix. I did not, its simply a TWRP with hotplugging, double tap wake with working / persistent screen brightness.

It is not going to magically fix the black line issue we have been having but I don't like our current recovery sitting with 4 cores on at 2.2ghz. It's not needed and makes the cpu very hot quick. Its completely pointless to have the CPU running like this in recovery. Heat is never good for chips, period. Also you shouldn't use the word "hacked" when you are referring to people modifying an open source build.