Schrotty35

Oct 30, 2010
Vienna
Can i use this on my G3 too?

ubeguma5.jpg

3u3y6eqy.jpg

C

CBKarabudak

Shouldn't it be possible to boot any ROM tethered this way? I understand the risks, but for people trying to develop AOSP, that'd be extremely helpful. I'm assuming all you'd need to do is wipe the recovery partition and adb reboot to recovery, forcing it to go to fastboot, fastboot the TWRP, flash the ROM, wipe the boot partition and use the fastboot command to start up the kernel each time the phone starts up. There might be risks, but hey, iPhone users were plagued with tethered jailbreaks for a long while, so what's so bad about it on Android?

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Shouldn't it be possible to boot any ROM tethered this way? I understand the risks, but for people trying to develop AOSP, that'd be extremely helpful. I'm assuming all you'd need to do is wipe the recovery partition and adb reboot to recovery, forcing it to go to fastboot, fastboot the TWRP, flash the ROM, wipe the boot partition and use the fastboot command to start up the kernel each time the phone starts up. There might be risks, but hey, iPhone users were plagued with tethered jailbreaks for a long while, so what's so bad about it on Android?

Yes, that's how it could be done, there is just no need to wipe the boot partition, it won't boot properly anyways.

Problem with it especially at early stage aosp roms, as soon as a reboot happens you're stuck till you get to a PC where fastboot is set up.

That's more an option for custom stock kernels, where you still can boot at a reboot, but just will miss the advantages of the custom kernel and for development in advance, but not for the user, at least for my opinion.

Sent from my LG-D855

Last edited:

xstormli

Sep 14, 2011
Compton
www.google.com
my phone is stucked at boot (can't even make it to bootanimation), caused by editing on buildprop.

is there anyway that I can work with recovery from here, chief?

Thank you, will be waiting online……

shaarky

Dec 1, 2007
OnePlus 9 Pro
I guess it should work (in certain phase of reboot), but still safer would be using LG PC Suite with option Restore upgrade errors, then just root again. You should not loose any settings or app.data.

suljo94

Nov 25, 2013
Antwerpen
my phone is stucked at boot (can't even make it to bootanimation), caused by editing on buildprop.

to restore your phone follow my steps exactly
1) pull out the battery and note the emei number (see sticker under the battery) then reinseert it and press and hold volume+ while connecting charger
2) release buttons when phone says download mode.
3)download your firmware via this site, replace imei of my url with your imei number
4)download this tool find the .exe file and start it then navigate to your file with the "find kdz option"(do not change the other fields)
5) press Cse Flash
6) press start chose your country and language
7) ignore the could not connect to server error
8) if that didn’t work try it over from step 5 but now with cse flash instead of normal flash
9) do not disconnect until you boot completely up for the second time
10) thank me for my post

Last edited:

xstormli

Sep 14, 2011
Compton
www.google.com
Thanks

1) pull out the battery then reinseert it and press and hold volume+ while connecting charger
3)download your firmware via this site, replace imei of my url with your imei number (see box)
4)download this tool find the .exe file and start it then navigate to your file with the "find kdz option"(do not change the other fields)
5) press normal download
8) if that didn’t work try it over from step 5 but now with cse flash instead of normal flash
10) thank me for my post

hey chief, i know how to restore KDZ.
i was asking if i could work on TRWP even when I am stuck at boot.
but thanks anyway, that's a lot of things you typed, i'll try to state my issue more clearly next time.

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
but thanks anyway, that's a lot of things you typed, i'll try to state my issue more clearly next time.

You still can get to twrp as long as your recovery is still not restored to stock, because you can get to fastboot with the button combo then, but to keep your recovery removed can bring other issues like forcing a bootloop, when you try to apply an official update.

Sent from my LG-D855

Reactions: xstormli

badtzo

Dec 8, 2010
Mexico city
Redmi K20 Pro

If you did a backup with twrp you can restore system without wiping and then will boot the rom again. This happen to me when tried to change a value on build.prop

But I did laf method for getting fastboot (TWRP) via hardware buttons. I don't know if there is a button combo as Tectas said to get into recovery (fastboot).

If you can't get into fastboot then you will need another method to flash kdz/tot and then run twrp to restore your rom.

Last edited:
Reactions: xstormli

Rapire

Aug 16, 2014
Hello Guys,

Sorry for my Bad English, thats the first.
And now my Problem:

I have get today the OTA Update to 10h

I have forget to read the 3rd Question in the FAQ, and i stucked in fastboot mode.
I have tried to flashback my recovery.img so...:

adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

(what is on my SD Card and on my PC), but i get a error in fastboot mode

error 202

What can i do now to restore my old backup to do new OTA?

MFG

Andy from Germany

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Hello Guys,

Sorry for my Bad English, thats the first.
And now my Problem:

I have get today the OTA Update to 10h

I have forget to read the 3rd Question in the FAQ, and i stucked in fastboot mode.
I have tried to flashback my recovery.img so...:

adb shell
su

(what is on my SD Card and on my PC), but i get a error in fastboot mode

error 202

What can i do now to restore my old backup to do new OTA?

MFG

Andy from Germany

I guess you've tried the adb commands while you are in twrp booted over fastboot, if not, try it that way.
Another option would be to flash back the stock recovery through fastboot.
Code:
 fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
You have to be in the folder where the recovery.img is stored on your pc.

Sent from my LG-D855

Reactions: Rapire

Rapire

Aug 16, 2014
Back again...

Now i have flashed the Recovery like you have wrote:

but now i have the Problem that my Device say that it dont give a new Update :confused:

Last edited:

suljo94

Nov 25, 2013
Antwerpen
Back again...

Now i have flashed the Recovery like you have wrote:

but now i have the Problem that my Device say that it dont give a new Update :confused:

do not try to update you will get stuck in a bootloop(into fastboot, if you already did the I hope for you that you have backed up your recovery.img to your pc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello everyone, I searched the internet today & stumpled upon this TWRP recovery accessible through adb fastboot. This is a Tethered TWRP bootloader, which means you need to be at a computer to open the recovery, (just like iPhone jailbreaking).

THIS DO ONLY WORK ON THE International D855 LG G3 Phone, DO NOT TRY IT ON OTHER VARIANTS/BRANDS!
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    Confirmed working on D855p variant (Mexico version) by badtzo​

However, this is not my work. This TWRP recovery comes from androidiani.com.

The following have been translated by Google:
    Exclusive for androidiani.com

With pleasure that I want to share the first exclusive international REAL custom recovery , TWRP for the' appuntto and therefore the best, fully functional in all its features, and most importantly optimized for LG G3 with the latest release.

Thank Dees_Troy (TWRP Creator) for collaboration with myself (wolfgart).

Update: Now DPI Full Size. A full screen and with the 'option for backing up the EFS partition active

The below is a bootable recovery in fastboot mode then necessarily need the pc, at least until we have "liberated" the bootloader also the G3 so as to make it bootable from the phone itself.

Why it is still useful to use the TWRP recovery even being able to launch (for the moment) only from PC (fastboot)?

• You can finally get your Nandroid Backup and keep it aside.

You can now restore the Nandroid Backup fact, returning to the state in which you want in seconds.

It finally has the chance to try many roms and more, tools, and Spippola the G3 and as much as you like, make sure that you can finally return to the state of your backup created as and when you like.

It finally has a file manager directly from recovery.

Steps before it all start:
    All though, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU READ THE FAQ FIRST!

First time usage (recommended to do!):
    1. We now proceed to backup the original recovery in a way that we know it always will be possible to access, (on our PC). Run the following commands pressing Enter each line:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img (recovery.img you'll find it in the root of sd card)

2. We now proceed to 'elimination of the recovery system and then get out of the mode adb:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    exit
    exit

3. Now reboot into recovery (but in reality it will be now, our fastboot mode on phone):
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

4. And now we make the much desired TWRP bootable on a G3, fully functional and operational:
    Code:
    fastboot boot d855.img

Subsequent usage: (when you already have a backup.)
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery 
    fastboot boot d855.img

Voila, you have the original TWRP on board.

This is tested on my own device (D855 with Version F & is rooted)
    SAM_1815_big_thumb.JPG

SAM_1816_big_thumb.JPG

Best regards & all of luck too you all.

I will not be hold responsible for what happens to your device.
    Do this at your own risk.
    Hey guys! It's IOMonster from IRC, and one of the main devs working on the unlocking project for the G3.

We've been working behind the scenes a lot to create these recoveries (Dees_Troy is awesome!), test them on devices (autoprime, shelnutt2, everyone else), and continue to work on unlocking the phone's bootloader across all variants.

While we're really glad that this recovery is helping people mod their phones how they see fit, we're really concerned about this trend of internal testing builds becoming public without our knowledge or permission.

Wolfgart has been helping us out greatly by providing us with stock firmware for these phones so everyone can recover their phones from bricks with LGFlash, and by testing these files on his own phone too. However, as far as I can see, we never gave permission to release these recoveries to the world either on XDA or the Italian forum that he originally posted it on. As such, we do not endorse the use of this software.

This really isn't a big deal, and I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but the reason we keep these things secret and available only to people who are testers is because we *really* want to make sure that these files are safe.

We haven't released any Tethered TWRP builds (and we won't be for the time being), because I've learned from my Optimus G experience with Tethered recoveries. Tethered recoveries require a certain level of skill that the average user may not be comfortable with, and that can lead to people accidentally bricking their devices. This recovery requires people to wipe certain partitions, and plug the phone into USB any time they want to enter recovery - which could be fairly often if a user is installing/testing many system-based mods. We don't want to release anything that could prevent the average user from being able to use their phone on a day to day basis because we weren't able to test the software to it's full extent and guarantee that it won't prevent them from using their phone as it's intended.

Here's a scenario that we worry about routinely: a user wipes recovery, somehow manages to corrupt their phone's system/data partition, and is out in a place where they need to make an emergency call. If the phone had the stock recovery on it, they could simply hard reset (losing their data, but gaining the ability to make the emergency call). But, since this user has erased their recovery partition, they'd have to plug into a computer to do anything to restore their phone to working order.

The take away from this is that we're not upset at wolfgart for publishing this, we totally understand the want to release something useful to the community - but we just ask that people consider the reasons why we ask to not publish software before we're ready.

We're happy that this is out and many people are finding it useful, just *please, please, please* be careful with what you do with your phone before we release an unlock. We can't be held responsible for software that you use that's released before it's ready.

Alright guys, I'll let you get back to your ordinarily scheduled XDA conversation. If you have any questions, hop on irc.freenode.net and join #lg-g3 and just ask for IOMonster and I'll be around.

Thanks!

1) pull out the battery and note the emei number (see sticker under the battery) then reinseert it and press and hold volume+ while connecting charger
    3)download your firmware via this site, replace imei of my url with your imei number
    5) press Cse Flash
    10) thank me for my post
    guess this is what happens when we let things out of the dev circle.

no, this file didn't originate on italian forums.. it was just leaked there without permission.

FAQ:

Q: Why does your first post contain so many QUOTES??
    A: If some people should post a reply of the original post, it won't contain everything including pics & steps, which is annoying for other users to see all over again.

Q: Is this Tethered Recovery working on other variants/brands of the LG G3
    A: NOOOOOOO! DON'T EVEN TRY!

Q: Will this have impact on future OTA updates ?
    A: YES! 2 persons, have been stuck in fastboot mode!! Please reload the original recovery, before doing OTA FLASH!

Q: HEEEELP, stuck in FASTBOOT mode! Credits to @clandes #88
    A: Put the back'd up recovery into the folder (or download it from the link below) and write
    Also do read #93 credits to @Tectas - if you're still having trouble.​
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery.img

Q: How do I restore to the original recovery? Thanks to pRo_lama #7
    A: You need to have backup and must be in root of sdcard aka internal memory. Then do the following:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su

Q: Can I boot into the TWRP recovery without a computer, maybe through buttons??
    A: No you can't, that's what Tethered means.

Q: adb shell - don't work??
    A: Ensure that your screen is on & you have trusted the computer, your trying to access your phone with! Also ensure that you are running the cmd from the folder!

Q: su - don't work??
    A: You must have rooted your phone, before flashing this recovery else you can't give SuperSU to adb shell on your phone!

Q: Is it possible to theme TWRP?
    A: No, not unless you know how to open up the .img & replace the pictures.

Q: Is it possible to root my after doing a CSE flash of a original rom?
    A: adb should also be working in the Tethered TWRP recovery, so that should be possible (waiting for ppl, to confirm).

Q: Can I flash this - xxxxxxxxxx ??
    A: This is new to all of us, so we can't answar that. You have to test it for yourself & give feedback afterwards.

Q: Will this have any effect on my battery usage?
    A: Nop.

Q: Will I lose root after doing this?
    A: Depends on what you are doing in the recovery?

Q: What's not working?
    A: You tell me & I will write it here. :good:

Q: Do you have a link to the recovery? I accidently deleted it. :(
    A: