[TWEAKS]IMPROVE OPERA: More tabs + Smooth Scroll + more. [Upd:01.02.10]

Search This thread

astrodemoniac

Dec 1, 2006
Fribourg
So the original issue was the inability to open more than 2 "Heavy" sites before Opera stop loading anymore in new tabs. This has been solved on my device thanks to c4Lvin in post "11"

I thought I could also share a couple of registry settings that improved my browsing experience a great deal (cab attached):

Increase Scrolling FPS
I changed the following key to:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera\Info]
PanFps=50

Increase Zooming FPS
ZoomFps=50

These two above make a world of difference in smoothness of both scrolling and zooming on my device. Do not enter a value higher than 50 or it will not take effect (at least it did not on my HD2)

Also,

Lower Default Zoom (Really takes advantage of the HD2 beautiful screen)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera\Prefs\Adaptative Zoom]
Default Zoom=100

Edit:
OK guys, I have created a cab that "Should" work. I tested it on my HD2 and it worked, but, INSTALL AT OWN RISK

What the cab should do is introduce (change existent values to) the following:

HKLM\Software\Opera\Info\PanFps=50
HKLM\Software\Opera\Info\ZoomFps=50

And it will also create an Opera_Smooth_log.txt file under \My Documents\ (Yes Phone Memory, you can delete it)

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• OperaSmooth.cab
    1.5 KB · Views: 2,966
Last edited:

Zhuk86

Oct 22, 2009
Thanks for this, made Opera browser even better. Hopefully when Opera Mobile 10 comes out they can include all the HD2 tweaks for it as well.

c4Lvin

Apr 18, 2005
City of Roses
You are a genius!!!!

Boy this has got to be the absolute best tweak ever! I can't believe nobody else had this earlier (at least I wasn't aware of it). It was never mentioned on the tweaks section. Your few reg tweaks just made the HD2 scroll SO SMOOTH (similar to IE). I totally agree with you on 2+ tabs on heavy sites. I can't ever load my ebay pages and engadget without closing one or the other which is a shame. I noticed it's not the opera's program itself but I think when the chef cooks the rom, some will open more and some opens less. If you see under the taskmgr (manager) that depending on what ROM, it maxes out at about 3.5-3.7MB. Some ROMS are 4MB+ then it won't open anymore pages without you closing one. Believe me I've looked for MANY MANY tweaks to make this really a multitasking phone. I can careless about SMS problems and facebook apps (sorry If I offended anyone). The web is what everyone needs. So opening 2 tabs of hardcore information super highway just won't cut it for me. Let me know when you find something new!!! I also enable TURBO MODE which seem to help it abit. All cooked ROMS don't have it enabled, not sure why.

Good luck! I'll be checking this thread quite often!

I just went under the registry and saw something under HKLM/SOFTWARE/OPERA/MEMORYLIMITS which can play an important part on this...gonna try to fiddle around with it now. BE BACK!

Last edited:

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Thanks for your tweaks. I especially like the default zoom tweak. I was looking for this, but postponed it constantly, because I don't like the hassle of blindly changing the reg. till I get what I'm looking for.

Thanks again. Keep those reg. tweaks coming!

c4Lvin

Apr 18, 2005
City of Roses
Think I got it!

OK, i just finished tinkering with the registry and I can open up a few more tabs COMPLETELY without any errors. Pages include the webpages you mentioned, www.facebook.com (logged in and non mobile), www.lifehacker.com (non-mobile), engadget.com (full page), my ebay selling page with over 200 + items and thumbs, www.coasttocoastam.com...then i checked my CPU usage and at times it's over 50% and then up to 95%..it goes back down..so at least it's alot of improvement. Not alot of people use that many tabs and especially these heavy pages but I do need some of them. I think it works great. It hasn't crashed once so far. Need to further test it.

techdave

Jun 25, 2008
Really great tweaks!.. I wonder why HTC didn't include these in the first place...oh wait..this is HTC we're talking ..the same guys that couldn't work out how SMS works.. :D

c4Lvin

Apr 18, 2005
City of Roses
OK Guys, here is a picture of my settings before I edited them. I simply multiplied them x2 for each item. Also it works better with "automatic cacheRAM" (Opera:config). Try it out and you can open almost anything (at least for everyday use). Good luck guys!

Attachments

• DSCN8127.jpg
    DSCN8127.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 814

CplusT

Dec 22, 2009
It really did help. Its way nicer to work with Opera now.

the hd2 develops more more - let the tweaks come day per day hehe :D

XDA mark

Dec 30, 2009
Rotterdam (NL) & Timisoara (RO)
Great you guys find it useful :) ... I'll try and make a cab out of them :)

That would be GREAT! I have learned almost everything regarding what to know about the HTC HD2, but that 'reg editing' is something I still have almost no knowledge of. Guess I should learn it... anybody have a link to a good guide on how to change these values? Yes I have searched before asking :)

astrodemoniac

Dec 1, 2006
Fribourg
Nice!!

Well my friend, I am happy to announce that you've nailed it :D I managed to open as follows:

Facebook home (fully loaded)
Google Reader with 50 Items on show (fully loaded)
Lifehacker (fully loaded)
Wikipedia English homepage (fully loaded)
Discover Windows Mobile (fully loaded)
Engadget Home (fully loaded!!:eek:)
Pocketnow (Partially loaded)
HTC (fully loaded)
Modaco (Very partly loaded)

This is exactly what I was looking for. THANK YOU

Should I mark the thread as [SOLVED] ?:confused:

OK Guys, here is a picture of my settings before I edited them. I simply multiplied them x2 for each item. Also it works better with "automatic cacheRAM" (Opera:config). Try it out and you can open almost anything (at least for everyday use). Good luck guys!

pack21

Dec 14, 2009
try too, that tweats, with:

Auto_Pan_Speed - 45

Last edited:

rzasharp

Dec 15, 2009
Paris
Increase Scrolling FPS
I changed the following key to:
PanFps=50

Increase Zooming FPS
ZoomFps=50
These two above make a world of difference in smoothness of both scrolling and zooming on my device. Do not enter a value higher than 50 or it will not take effect (at least it did not on my HD2)

Lower Default Zoom (Really takes advantage of the HD2 beautiful screen)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera\Prefs\Adaptative Zoom]
Default Zoom=100

This is a really useful thread about Opera tweaking. You should rename it to:

IMPROVE OPERA Browser: More tabs + Smoother Scrolling + Better Zoom Out.

Thanks a lot!