Theming 101

Search This thread

Bubba

Dec 31, 2011
Hell ( I've taken over. Come on down.)
Nice BubbaJ.. Thanks for the thread, I'm hoping to learn a few things along the way, and help others when I can.. ...I see Dwitherell has graced this thread, he is just one incredible Dev and a great guy... I'm finding more and more good people helping others. I like it..

Welcome. Glad to have you here. There are indeed several devs and themers that drop in. I'm honored that they all take the time.

Cowboy from Hell on a twisted trail.
Koffed from my Big Ass Outlaw Phone.

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
Nice BubbaJ.. Thanks for the thread, I'm hoping to learn a few things along the way, and help others when I can.. ...I see Dwitherell has graced this thread, he is just one incredible Dev and a great guy... I'm finding more and more good people helping others. I like it..

In my opinion, that is how it should be. Why should we kill our young so to speak.. better to pass down knowledge and success with things than just harbor it. That doesn't help anyone..yourself or others..;)

fly4awhtgye

Apr 13, 2013
Florida Panhandle
Nice work here...

wLMEjua.png

NunHugger

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2009
Des Moines, IA
And now a word from or sponsor...

We would like to welcome any user to join our AllianceROM community on Google+. We are in the process of freshening up our image, and would love to have your help. We are looking for users to help design our new logo. Head to the AllianceROM community and see how you can be a part of our new beginning.
AllianceROM Community

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
And now a word from or sponsor...

We would like to welcome any user to join our AllianceROM community on Google+. We are in the process of freshening up our image, and would love to have your help. We are looking for users to help design our new logo. Head to the AllianceROM community and see how you can be a part of our new beginning.
AllianceROM Community

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Not sure my presence would be wanted there by some people loll

mikeymopar

Jan 14, 2011
Not sure my presence would be wanted there by some people loll

You're welcome there by my personal invite. [emoji6]

I'll second that:good:

Fine by me as well. If there is history...it's just that...history.

scholarly AND gentlemanly???? man, get a bunch of old guys together and what's next....a group hug? :eek:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

cerj

Recognized Themer
Nov 1, 2012
NOLA
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Where do you guys find bottons and such for themes do u make them or what?
You can make them from scratch, or find an image and edit it to size and shape if need be... I was at a venue watching live music a few weeks ago, and saw and images on the register I would love to use for drop down menus.. It was loud and i couldn't ask what brand register, or I would have.. But you can search the net for images to use, or just about anything that uses images. A lot of buttons are in framework-res, and have many diff names..But you will find them in individual apks too..

Last edited:

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
Where do you guys find bottons and such for themes do u make them or what?

Depends.. What are you looking at doing? Or show me what you are talking about..

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Depends.. What are you looking at doing? Or show me what you are talking about..

Anyone have any interest in teaming up with me to convert the .pkm files in ClockPackage.apk (S5) to pngs... I know it will be A LOT of work but wanted to ask if anyone was interested in helping..

cerj

Recognized Themer
Nov 1, 2012
NOLA
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Anyone have any interest in teaming up with me to convert the .pkm files in ClockPackage.apk (S5) to pngs... I know it will be A LOT of work but wanted to ask if anyone was interested in helping..
I just edited one a few weeks ago.. I made a full theme a S5 Moar port for our Note 3. I inverted the S5 music app as well, and it is full of pkm files too.. But I won't be able to get with you for a couple days... I will hit you back when I'm back at the pc.to see if you still need to team up...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello. I'd like to introduce myself. I am Bubba from the AT&T Note 3, Note, and Infuse forums. I have had several people PM me asking for help or information on starting to theme. So I decided to start a learning thread.

WHAT THIS THREAD IS: A place to gather the basics to get you started if you want to learn. A place to ask questions about theming and theming issues. A place to interact with Recognized and Unrecognized themers as well as people who are at your level or maybe the next level you will reach. A place you can learn from advanced, intermediate, and beginners, and maybe even yourself. A place where any theming question can be asked and hopefully answered. Keep in mind I am no expert. I will do the best I can, and I have enlisted the help of a few of my Teammates to help us out. We are all from Team Alliance.

WHAT THIS THREAD IS NOT: This is not a place to request themes or apps to be themed. This is not a place for flaming or negative opinions of others works.

WHO WILL HELP OUT: Myself,lacoursiere18, daveyannihilation, Tired Storeman, Mikeymopar, Nunhugger, sparky b, and hopefully a few others will be stopping in to help.

WHAT CAN I LEARN TO THEME? We expect to cover TW apps as well as other apps. 4.4 as well as 4.3

WHO THE HECK ARE YOU? A little background on me. I started learning to theme just over 2 years ago. I released my first theme (A theme chooser theme) as a gift for myself and anyone else on my 50th birthday .. (so you are NOT too old to learn) with the help and guidance of a great friend and fellow "The Family" member ppalbicke who is truly the most patient man ever created lol. I am now on the forever locked AT&T Note 3, so no more Theme Chooser. So I am continually learning to theme TW apks and I keep intergrating other apps into the theme I want to keep building.

IS THIS A STRICK ON TOPIC STUFFY THREAD? Hell no.I want this thread to run a like every "favorite" thread I have been involved in. Light humor is not only permitted.. but encouraged. Trust me ... you will need humor as a stress relief for this stress relieving hobby.

So ... if your in ... tell your wives/husbands, boyfriend/girlfriend goodbye .. this will soon become an obsession. You will want to do nothing but make every app you see "purty". Trust me .. my wife hates my phone. "Why can't you just leave it alone dammit".

OKAY BUBBA.. SHADDUP AND GET THIS STARTED: Okay then .. here we go. I have packaged up some basic tools and links you will need to get started. You will find the link in post #2
    Some instructions in Post #3
    Tool Section

BASIC STARTER TOOLS

In this zip, you will find a few basic tools to get you started. I also have a Read Me in there that has link you will need. Download the zip and watch the video about SDK.

The apktool and the framework installer (thanks @zelendel ) should be placed in c:/users/whatever you named your pc .. and then place shortcuts on the desktop.

I included a link to Gimp because that is what I use. I had one Photoshop lesson from a master (Nunhugger) and have since failed miserably .. plus I am old and set in my ways. Some of the other guys use PS, so I will rely on them for those questions .... yours and maybe mine.

I will add more tools as we need them .. lets just see how this pans out.

ADDED TOOLS:

Theme Flash Zip

Syntax Highlighter

Android Color Converter

.9png Patch Suite

Instructional Videos:

Lesson in notepad++ by lacoursiere18

Bubba's Gimp Help Videos:

Frameworks Installer tool with Apk Decompile and Recompile.

Simple .9png editing

.9png Edit #2 using Gimp

Repair of a .9png using Gimp

Finding hex color with gimp

lacoursiere18 Photoshop Help Videos:

Finding Hex Colors with Photoshop

.9 image editing in Photoshop

Helpful Links

Some good insight into editing styles found by @lacoursiere18

Important Post Inside This Thread:

A Look Inside the Color Folder By @lacoursiere18

A look inside the Values Folder By @lacoursiere18
    INSTRUCTIONS:

First you will need to install framework-res, twframework-res, and SystemUI.

You will need the rom you are running or the one you want to theme. Use 7 zip to pull those 3 apks from it. Drag them into Zel's Frameworks Installer tool and click install .. If yoiu are wanting to theme an app from the playstore or some other place .. you will need that apk as well. .. step 1 done

Next lets decompile something

I use a basic apktool that always works for me .. although feel free to use whichever you like. To decompile place the apk into the tool ( just drag that puppy in there).
    Commands are as follows:
    Click on the command prompt and type apktool d name of apk.apk (inserting the actual name of the apk in place of my wording name of apk) lol.

So lets do frameworks ... drag into tool the framework-res.apk open command prompt and type
    apktool d framework-res.apk
    and hit enter. Let it do its job and finish.
    It will create a folder named framework-res. This is where you edit. The Note 3 is xxhdpi although I have found some images in xdhpi need to be edited at times.

ANY IMAGE NAMED .9 NEEDS SPECIAL ATTENTION. These .9 images stretch and change size. They are bordered by 'Black Lines of Death" .. okay it ain't that bad, but they can be a *****. For these you must select the area inside the black lines and edit. If you mess with these lines .. they will haunt you. It's good practice to save these for last.

To recompile type
    apktool b -d -f framework-res

It is always best to make one edit then try and build .. just to see. Your edited apk will be inside the framework-res folder in the folder named dist. System apps: Pull the new apk from the dist folder and place it on your desktop then open with 7 zip. Open the original folder and copy the manifest and META folder inside there. Then drop those into the open new apk and your ready.

It is not necessary to sign system apkswith the tool. The sign tool is used for third party apps. To use this tool place the built apk into the unsigned folder and back out .. click sign ... then the signed folder will contain your new edited signed apk which should install for you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Videos~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a video of editing a ".9.png" in CS5 (photoshop)

Video on patching .9.png correctly for them to scale properly

Decompile to Modding a xml and drawable, then Recompiling..Tutorial