[Q] Would you like a 3G only setting for the G3?

Would you use a 3G only setting if it was available?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • What? I have unlimited DATA

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Dbeayon

Feb 20, 2008
Would you use a 3G only option if it was available on the G3?

I spoke to a Verizon Regional Exec today about the G3 and other Verizon phones that no longer have the option to run on CDMA only. The rep has an iPhone and regularly sets it to 3G only, especially when he let's his kids use the phone. He could not give me a reason why the G3 and other phones no longer has the ability to go to 3G only. He said he would look into this and see if it could be delivered in a future update.

Last edited:

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
I would like that option. There are areas where I play Ingress, for example, where the 3g Verizon signal is strong and uncluttered so its a much better option than LTE, which is either weak and eats battery trying over and over to reconnect, or is good but WAY oversold so there is no way to get good speeds on my unlimited data plan, much of the time.
One of the tricks we used to use on the VGNexus phones was select 3g only and save much battery life. 3g can sometimes be faster than 4g and it saves power by not running the rg radio.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

wizayne

Dec 23, 2010
I can do this using com.lge.hiddenmenu. it has an intent that if launched will allow you to pick your desired frequency/bandmode. it includes lte only, cdma only, evdo only, cdma/evdo, and lte/cdmA/evdo as well as global.

i often have poor band 13 lte coverage and so it saves a lot of battery. sometimes it is nice to block 1x to improve speeds and force 3g if the signal is producing more speed then 1x. just my 2 cents,,,and if you get creative you can create a shell script to "su" then run the intent and then exit. place a shortcut on the homescreen and profit.

im reflashing my softbrick now or i would put the exact intent needed, maybe tomorrow if i remember but its network selection, network mode, something like that and way towards the bottom (last third) of the intents i viewed within hiddenmenu,apk

Reactions: BladeRunner

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
I would like that option. There are areas where I play Ingress, for example, where the 3g Verizon signal is strong and uncluttered so its a much better option than LTE, which is either weak and eats battery trying over and over to reconnect, or is good but WAY oversold so there is no way to get good speeds on my unlimited data plan, much of the time.
One of the tricks we used to use on the VGNexus phones was select 3g only and save much battery life. 3g can sometimes be faster than 4g and it saves power by not running the rg radio.

The GNex was one of the last phones to be affected by that. Since Qualcomm took over Android, their integrated LTE radios use no more power than 3G radios.

Reactions: Mistertac

crashN2u

Dec 26, 2010
Just download a massive amount of data and the carriers will throttle you down to 3G or lower, with occasional 4G use. As for some people saying that 3G is never faster, it depends on the carrier. Verizon throttles all 3G usage in an effort to convince 3G users to upgrade to 4G.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Honestly I rather not have data at all then be stuck on 3G, just my opinion
    I can do this using com.lge.hiddenmenu. it has an intent that if launched will allow you to pick your desired frequency/bandmode. it includes lte only, cdma only, evdo only, cdma/evdo, and lte/cdmA/evdo as well as global.

i often have poor band 13 lte coverage and so it saves a lot of battery. sometimes it is nice to block 1x to improve speeds and force 3g if the signal is producing more speed then 1x. just my 2 cents,,,and if you get creative you can create a shell script to "su" then run the intent and then exit. place a shortcut on the homescreen and profit.

im reflashing my softbrick now or i would put the exact intent needed, maybe tomorrow if i remember but its network selection, network mode, something like that and way towards the bottom (last third) of the intents i viewed within hiddenmenu,apk

The GNex was one of the last phones to be affected by that. Since Qualcomm took over Android, their integrated LTE radios use no more power than 3G radios.