[APP][4.0+] HoverChat (formerly Ninja SMS): Alternative to Facebook ChatHeads for SMS

Search This thread

gohamstergo

Mar 6, 2010
I don't think you can, it's basically the essence of what this app is, turning it off makes it just another stock messaging app so I don't see why the dev would even waste time coding that.

As for development being stopped I/others in the group, thought that once before (look back a few pages) and the dev pulled through in the end. I think it's a safe bet that this app will live on, development is just slowing down as it seems he's prepping one big release at a time.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ya, he did come back before. i just wish he would continue to communicate during the gaps :(

maxxyme

Jan 10, 2011
Paris
Hello all,

After using this app for a few months now, I must say that I have mitigated feelings about it.
First, I really like the "hover-"system.
But there are some serious drawbacks for some times:
- no more notification sound, although using the Default
- crashes when deleting all messages in a conversation then exiting
- some text messages are not sent, for no reason (no warning/error message), just a little red circle w/ exclamation mark near the message, and tapping the reload sign, even several times, doesn't re-send the message.
- sending the same text message to several persons (like in a multi-user conversation) doesn't work, it tries to send it as a MMS?! and then crashes
- using the Call option in the context menu in a conversation doesn't actually call the contact, it just puts the phone number in the stock phone app, but doesn't call
- typing area is almost all the time TOOOOO small (I usually type more than 3 or 4 words... so checking your message before actually sending is quite hazardous)
- no notification on the Lock Screen, in contrary of the stock sms app.
- no photos for the "heads", I never managed to set this to work properly.

That's all of the bugs I can think of right now. So that's quite a long list... :p

Last edited:

dcwiker05

Dec 10, 2008
Ephrata PA
Hello all,

After using this app for a few months now, I must say that I have mitigated feelings about it.
First, I really like the "hover-"system.
But there are some serious drawbacks for some times:

- no more notification sound, although using the Default

>>what do you mean by this? I can set custom text tones or use the default depending on what I want. I'm not sure what you're asking I think this has the feature you're asking about though.

- crashes when deleting all messages in a conversation then exiting

>>agreed though not all the time and far less since I upgraded to 4.4.2

- some text messages are not sent, for no reason (no warning/error message), just a little red circle w/ exclamation mark near the message, and tapping the reload sign, even several times, doesn't re-send the message.

>>AGREED!! massive pain in the a$$ tends to be with longer messages. No fix after multiple updates that contained this issue.

- sending the same text message to several persons (like in a multi-user conversation) doesn't work, it tries to send it as a MMS?! and then crashes

>>mine doesn't do this, but that doesn't mean yours doesn't.

- using the Call option in the context menu in a conversation doesn't actually call the contact, it just put the phone number in the stock phone app, but doesn't call

>>true though not sure the development can control this.

- typing area is almost all the time TOOOOO small (I usually type more than 3 or 4 words... so checking your message before actually sending it is quite hazardous)

>>AGREED!!

- no notification on the Lock Screen, in contrary of the stock sms app.

>>Download NILS great lockscreen widget

- no photos for the "heads", I never managed to set this to work properly.

>>these should come over as the pics sent in your original saved contacts. If the contact has a pic in your phone Hover chat should display it. Signing into Facebook also grabs pics for Facebook matches. If you edit a pic after you start a tread frofor that particular person, you have to delete the thread for the changes to be enacted.

Pictures and text tones are handled through:

Launch app>>menu>>manage pop ups>>clicking the gear icon next to each contact.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

stanleyopar2000

Mar 29, 2011
I request a simple feature.

Please make the chat head bubble have the ability to also have the message pop out to the left? Instead of the head moving all the way to the left to pop out to the right. Like Facebook messager has it :p

Sent from my SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

Robles23

Sep 22, 2013
Houston Texas
Does anybody know if development/updates for this app has come to an end? This thread and the app itself on the play store have not been updated in a while.

If the developer is taking suggestions I would like to present one.

Would it be possible to make this app compatible with LG's QSlide apps? I know this app still lacks a compose feature. By making this app QSlide compatible, we would be able to perform such action.

Thank you.

gohamstergo

Mar 6, 2010
Does anybody know if development/updates for this app has come to an end? This thread and the app itself on the play store have not been updated in a while.

The last update came after a period of many months of the dev not saying anything, then suddenly, an update.. So, it's hard to say. Might be dead, might be just another loooooooooong period of no contact.

Reactions: Robles23

qoncept

Feb 1, 2010
I don't know what I did but for some reason all my popups are showing up at the bottom right of my screen now instead of top left like they always did before. No matter how many times I move them. Is there a way to change this?

mbze430

Feb 28, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Feature request!

Allow scheduling SMS by time and date

Custom LED light (for supported devices) for each individual contact

Last edited:

gohamstergo

Mar 6, 2010
Turns out when you fling a popup down to the bottom to dismiss it that's where it will reappear. Back to just using the X I guess. I wish I wasn't too busy/lazy to learn Android dev write my own SMS app.

Ya, I'd probably switch to Chomp or something if theyd implement the chat head feature. Just find them too handy to give up, tho.

desantim

Jan 5, 2010
Oregon
Yeah - it's really too bad dev has entirely stopped for this. The OP hasn't made a single post on XDA since April, and the last update was back on June 22nd. There was so much potential here too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Featured in Time Magazine "50 Best Android Apps for 2013" Must-have Android apps for newbies and enthusiasts alike.
    943420_539954786042918_769845217_n.jpg

HoverChat (formerly Ninja SMS) enables true multitasking by allowing you to read and reply to incoming messages without ever leaving your current screen, dealing with in-your-face social feeds, or having to change your favorite launcher. On the plus side, it works on all Android phones 2.3+.

Features:
    ★ Multiple floating windows at the same time
    ★ Drag and drop windows anywhere with ease
    ★ Collapse mode helps minimize popups for easy access anytime
    ★ Anti-NSA mode: Encrypt messages while sending to contacts so your phone carrier or government cannot read it... Ninja Style!
    ★ Emoji Support :)
    ★ Notification animation for new incoming messages in minimized chat windows
    ★ Maximize mode allows you to switch to full texting mode in an instant
    ★ Transparency mode to help you view other windows in the background as you read and reply to messages
    ★ Settings panel lets you control which contacts the app will show popups for
    ★ 1 easy switch to enable and disable anytime
    ★ Efficient battery usage so you can keep the popups open as long as you want
    ★ Elegant design and graphics

Download HoverChat (formerly Ninja SMS) from Play Store at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninja.sms.promo

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ninjasmsapp

Screens:

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

Download HoverChat (formerly Ninja SMS) from Play Store at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninja.sms.promo
    If anyone is interested in joining our beta group, you can email us at support@hoverchat.com with the email address tied to your Play store account and I will be happy to add you to the group.

Thank you guys for keeping this tread alive, special thanks to @gohamstergo, @rootlinux, @dcwiker05, @artyfarty and everyone participated in this thread so far.
    I'm just throwing in some suggestions

1. More emojis
    2. Have the theme on the whole app instead of just the popup
    3. Be able to send and receive pictures

That's all I can think of. I love this app so much

Thank you for the nice comments :).

We already started working on MMS then I think we might work on Emojis and theming. Most probably it will be a couple separate updates to keep the update cycle reasonable.
    Working great so far. One little thing that would be nice is the ability to change the color of the notification icon. On a black status bar, the current icon is difficult to see. Not a big deal, this app is fantastic.

We are going to add more customization options in the upcoming updates and one of them will be custom notification icon.
    I'm testing this with Go sms, so far a third party messaging app that works near perfect with ninja sms is 88sms :) but I like IOS6 Emoji so I'm trying go sms because handcent had a bug with scrolling, chomp sms doesn't have group messaging, and textra uses its own database -_-
    Anyone know of a good third party sms app that has iOS6 emoji, group messaging, and plays well with ninja sms (I would love to have the ability to make custom notificationsnotifications with led and icons for each contact as well)
    Sent from my Note 2, just in case you were Note-icing my sig ;)

BTW we are working on threads view, full emoji and groups support and which will be divided on a couple updates to be published in the near future. We are trying to improve the whole messaging experience so you should be able to depend on Ninja SMS fully with these upcoming updates, you will also still be able to use any other messaging app with Ninja SMS if you want.